I will be soon giving a History of Animation class. What would you say are noteworthly events, names, movies...

I will be soon giving a History of Animation class. What would you say are noteworthly events, names, movies, series or wathever of the history of animation?

Pic may be related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UOglS1cPxUw
youtube.com/watch?v=D4NPQ8mfKU0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLyuw5bdyk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you realize how big a topic that is!? That's a century covering two different mediums!

That's a lot of stuff to cover user.

But if you can, sneak Ralph Bakshi in there somehow.

The class goes along a full year. And its a little more than a one hundred years period. I just have to be selective. The class will mostly be whatching stuff.

What grade/age are the students? How deep down the rabbit hole are you planning to go down?

Max Fleischer

show them chirpy

delgo or foodfight

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and the Flintstones.

McCay, Bray, the Fleischers, Lantz, Terry, Harman and Ising, anybody from Laugh-O-Gram, WB, Disney, UPA, MGM, and HB, to name a few topics.

Sounds like YOU need a history of animation class, OP.

>Lottie Reiniger
>The Adventures of Prince Achmed
>Winsor McCay
>Walt Disney
>Disney Golden Age
>Disney Renaissance
>Snow White, Fanatasia, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid
>Fleischer Studios
>Gulliver's Travels, Mr Bug Goes to Town, Superman shorts
>Betty Boop, Koko the Clown
>The King and the Mockingbird
>Warner Bros
>Chuck Jones
>Tex Avery
>Hanna Barbera
>Ralph Bakshi
>Rene Laloux
>Don Bluth
>Richard Williams
>Nickelodeon
>Ren and Stimpy
>Pixar
>Toy Story
>Dreamworks
>Shrek

chuck jones

Depending on the age of the students, you may need permission slips for graphic content.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
The Tale of the Fox (1937)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Fantasia (1940)
The Snow Queen (1957)
Heaven and Earth Magic (1962)
Mary Poppins (1964)
Fritz the Cat (1972)
Fantastic Planet (1973)
Allegro non troppo (1976)
The King and the Mockingbird (1980)
American Pop (1981)
Son of the White Mare (1981)
The Secret of NIMH (1982)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Angel's Egg (1985)
The Pied Piper (1986)
When the Wind Blows (1986)
Alice (1988)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Akira (1988)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Toy Story (1995)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Perfect Blue (1997)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998)
Spirited Away (2001)
Metropolis (2001)
Millennium Actress (2001)
Shrek (2001)
The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
Mind Game (2004)
Paprika (2006)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)
5 Centimeters per Second (2007)
Persepolis (2007)
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Song of the Sea (2009)
Up (2009)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Mary and Max (2009)
The Illusionist (2010)
Ernest & Celestine (2012)
Frozen (2013)
Inside Out (2015)
Anomalisa (2015)
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

also be sure to show at least one short per class period, be sure to include shorts from the following:

Disney
Looney Tunes
Jan Svankmajer
Brothers Quay
Jiri Barta
Rene Laloux

>History of Animation class

Why is there never anything that cool offered for me?

I forget the name, there's that really early animation with the dinosaur.

That's what you get for getting a doctorate in Economy, you successful rich bastard. No fun classes for you.

Gertie the Dinosaur

Gertie.

Poor Gertie. She's sad nobody remembers her name.

O-oh crap. Sorry Gertie, it's been a while. Glad I remembered it at least.

>tfw no one mentioned Tezuka
I mean, at least one class or a footnote is worth it, right?

meant to quote

Why are you teaching something that you seemingly know nothing anything about?

Adventure of Prince Achmed and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves are the most obvious got to examples that you are going to learn.

Maybe the The Dover Boys, Duck Amuck and the Superman animated serials from the 40's. There's tons of other works that many people will point out that you may learn about, all of them great works, but the 4 listed are basically the Highschool Summer Reading book tier animations that you are for an absolute fact are gonna here about at least once.

Really, you could probably do a whole separate class just on the history of animation in Japan. It might be a little difficult to fairly fit the whole scope of anime and its history into a western animation class just because anime really did evolve more or less in its own parallel, until it started getting big in the west around the 80s/90s, even though there are a good amount of shows that were brought over and dubbed in the 60s too. But if you were to include Japanese animation as an important part of a general animation history class, then yes, you should at least mention Tezuka.

Don't forget to bring up how anime ultimately influenced the entire world animation as a whole.
Particularly Neon Genesis and Akira

Wouldn't be surprised that this would be the cased based on how much of a joke education is.

I have no idea if this is any good.

>I will be soon giving a History of Animation class
Did teach your students how to write resumes to mcdonalds yet?

steam boat willy
astro boy
thief and the cobbler
daft punk's Interstellar 5555
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

>What would you say are noteworthly events, names, movies, series or wathever of the history of animation?
user, I have LITERALLY EVERYTHING you need in this video.
It's pretty recent, Andrew Dobson made it:
youtube.com/watch?v=UOglS1cPxUw

Is it at least in any way historically significant? I've never heard of it.

It's extremely niche and while I love it, it's not worth academic discussion.

I love this series but only five people on earth have fucking seen it.

Cover Aladdin/the Thief and the Cobbler to emphasize how production hell works

This will lead up to how most animated movies today are 3D because they are cheaper to make.

>Permission slip?
>Fritz the Cat
>Oh ok, that makes sense.

Also if you just give them a list of mainstream anime you'll be showing your powerlevel.

I'd say at least watch Fantasia/Prince Achmed though. Hedgehog in the fog too.

>emphasize how production hell works

Speaking of, it might be kind of neat if he could manage to show The Sweatbox.

I'm thinking early adult animation like heavy metal. It's kinda a mix of music videos and comic books mashed together. The magazine had all sorts of great comics and stuff. I bet you could come up with a lecture about the zeen movement and the counter culture stuff that it grew from.

You know, the cool animated stuff before anime got big in America.

its an old animated webcomic (think Marvel's Infinity comics) from the golden era of Newgrounds

When introducing computer animation, good shorts might include early pixar work like Luxo Jr (made into their logo) and Tin Toy (pixars first film I think). Its an interesting story that pixar was originally a computer company who made short films to showcase their equipment, but transitioned into full time animation because they were so popular.
youtube.com/watch?v=D4NPQ8mfKU0

Gotta bring up Genndy Tartakovsky and his refinement of minimalist action and subdued colors. He's probably the best animator alive today

Op here.

>90460336
The students are in the first year of university. Most of them are 18 to 25 years old.
Yes! Which episode/shorts?
What is that?
Why?
Yeeees! Which Flintstones episode is your favorite?
I know most of those authors but some I have already seen the hell and back and some are much more interesting anecdoticaly or for one fragment/episode. I want to get some fresh, personal opinions from here.
It's an ok list. I hate some of that stuff.
Too much to to watch one year. Its 4/6 hours a week. Maybe some fragments.
I went to cartoon school. Lel
Gertie the Dinosaur
That short flipped my shit! It has a cool background story too.
How much or little I know is in your imagination.
I like most of that and The Dover Boys is great to watch frame by frame.
Yes, I want to watch some anime. Mostly shorts or episodes to fit the schedule.
For sure!
No idea.
You speak the truth.
Yes! All that!
Will watch.
Yes.
Yes. Fritz is on it.
Sure not full Fantsía or Ahmed. Will see some exemplar anime.
Will check about that
Yes! Will check all that.
Will chose SOMETHING from Newgrounds. But usually is too personal in taste.

This.

For anime you pretty much have to stick with the big hits.

Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, a Miyazaki movie. If you wanna talk about the Japanese animation model that talk about how it was pioneered by Tezuka and the work ethics conditions he standardized for productions.

DON'T FUCKING TOUCH EVANGELION. It's not an animation that deserves praise for it's quality and most of it's hype and popularity game from story.

>It's not an animation that deserves praise for it's quality
fucking kill yourself

I like it but I agree. It's like the LOST of anime. It's not for teaching. Stay on evageeks.

>It's like the LOST of anime
this makes no sense.

>I hate some of that stuff

It doesn't matter if you like it or not. I don't like a lot of important pieces of history either. You should be writing the course more according to what is actually useful in terms of historical significance over what's the most cool or fun to watch

That's why it's like LOST.

>Movie quality animation after the series was a hit

Great, too bad the movie is incomprehensible if you haven't watched the series and the series itself isn't well animated.

Much better to stick with self contained stories that are well animated.

oh i see.

you're just a stupid person.

Wouldn't you, as a smart person, be able to infer that from my original claim?

My teachers actually showed at least a segment of it in History of Animation, if I recall.

Bruce Timm art directed movies perhaps?

Show them the whole Johnny Test series

That'll help them

>Yes, I want to watch some anime. Mostly shorts or episodes to fit the schedule.
Daicon III/VI
Jumping
Mount Head

Whoa, there was a Daicon III?

>ctrl+f "Gerald McBoing-Boing"
>0 results
>Max Fleischer
>Yes! Which episode/shorts?
Bimbo's Initiation
Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor
Superman: The Mechanical Monsters

I also recommend some short films by Norman McLaren like Neighbours or Blinkity Blank.

>VI
C'mon, user. You know better than that.

You have to do Disney's Pinocchio

Would it make sense to add historical pieces that showcase new groundbreaking techniques in animation, like some of the disney docs or do you have another focus?

Don Bluth too

Why would you watch the movie without watching the series?

Interstella 5555

Because OP's class can't watch a whole series-

TFW UPA's influence is all over Amercan animation yet practically nobody knows who they are.

you're going to teach a class and you're so unprepared for it you're asking fucking Sup Forums to get you goddamn started?

who the fuck hired you

I took a class like that once, do you want the syllabus?

Nigga I got to show Mary and Max in highschool and everyone was fine. Everyone loved it

A few things that don't come up often, but had big impact and might be interesting to talk about:

-LucasFilm/Industrial Light and Magic's decision to essentially give away all of their early research into computer graphics for free is perhaps the most crucial event for CG animation.

-The Children's Television Act destroyed much of network animation, creating a hole for cartoon-centric cable networks to fulfill.

-The low value of the yen during the 80s, then the subsequent turmoil of the Japanese economy in the 90s to present, shaped network expectations on how much animation should cost, and laid the foundation for outsourcing across all of East Asia.

-The failure of Rock and Rule drove Canada to focus on TV animation from the 80s onward with an emphasis on cost cutting, leading to both collaboration with foreign studios and early embrace of Flash animation.

I hope you're joking.
The Asuka vs MP Eva fight alone is shown to students in top animation colleges lmfao
I remember Calarts even had their students watch it

>It's not an animation that deserves praise for it's quality and most of it's hype and popularity game from story.
Please stop breathing

>The students are in the first year of university. Most of them are 18 to 25 years old.

What is the required/optional reading that the students are going to be assigned?

There was. Wish I could have seen III in decent quality.

IV is definitely findable for sure. Still brings me smiles every time I hear Time and the animation done by a bunch of ambitious amateur animation nerds.

I definitly will touch Evangelion as I think is important to anime history.
Yea. All the pixar early shorts are nice.
For sure. Will talk about all the Cartoon Cartoon guys.
>>useful in terms of historical significance over what's the most cool or fun to watch
I disagree. We are talking about animation here. There is very few "useful" stuff to see.
I prefer to show some BTAS.
Even if I dislike it, I will adress the 2000 flash shit era.
Thanks!
Some named the UPA.
Maybe some scene. Dumbo is shorter.
Im thinking about showing them significant fragments of Disney movies so they can apreciate the evolution.
Yes.
What?
>>practically nobody knows who they are.
>>UPA
I have already give this class some years. I just want to hear new ideas. Stop jumping to conclutions.
All this is interesting.
They will be listening about the history of animation on another theoriocal class. At mine, they will be watching the stuff.

Might be interesting to dedicate some time to comics, or have a Scott McCloud book as extra credit reading.

Technically the adventures of Audrey and Wally B were the first short film when Pixar was part of Lucasfilm. It's actually a little historical as it was the creation of a teardrop shape.

The Pixar short film collection is pretty interesting. Also look for the secret videos, they are of animation tests like Wireframe Luxo Jr. and a fabric/water test.

>Paperboy is good as it's the first with that new psuedo 3D tech.
>Astro Boy started the modern anime style of work.
>Gigantor AKA Testujin 28 is the first mecha show, Mazinger Z is the first modern super robot show and Mobile Suit Gundam is the first real robot show
>Beauty and the Beast was shown incomplete, which showed people how much work went into it

Look up Cassiopeia, first finished CGI feature. Not released before Toy Story because of lobbies.

Show them The Tragedy of Man

Der Fuehrer's face (1943)
Wilkins Instant Coffee
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLyuw5bdyk
Little Shop of Horrors
Seconding
Spirited Away
Akira
Beauty and the Beast
Nightmare Before Christmas
Kubo

You're giving a class without knowing the material? Is this what I have to look forward to in college?

ren and stimpy, genndy tartakovsky, UPA, satoshi kon, richard williams, will vinton, bill plympton, laika

i think you really should consider covering the missteps of animation too, like foodfight, or troubled productions like thief and the cobbler

I've fantasized about being able to do this you're really lucky!

Don't forget stop motion!

Read the thread

You should talk about Where The Dead Go To Die
It is the most DARING animated movei of the centureh

Look up "Boston Bomb Scare 2007."

The day that changed a cartoon network forever. Never forget.

Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell for anime and Ren & Stimpy and Simpsons for 90's shows

Is this an art school?

Be sure to be a crotchety old man about modern design philosophy so that you can help spawn a new generation that actually cares about animation beyond story.

Try to give us more updates about how the class goes throughout the year.

Regardless of anyone's personal opinions about the show, I think Eva is worth showing. Like it or not, it's a very influential show.

I had a music teacher who said something amazing when I was in 8th Grade, when I was taking music history. He said that he couldn't force the students to like the stuff he showed them, he just wanted them to be aware of it and maybe appreciate it for what it is. I feel like this also applies to this class.