Why in the heck did they let the Other Mother sew the buttons on their eyes?

Why in the heck did they let the Other Mother sew the buttons on their eyes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DhQPkOqz-x8
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_UwtRridg
youtu.be/rmy_nhfo-xw?t=33
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why not?

The eyes are the window to the soul, and once she has your eyes she has your soul.

Kids are retarded.

She seemed nice.

This movie sucked. I gave it a chance last year.

Pure Tim Burton copycat cancer. And the MC sucked too I hated her.

How many male's third eyes did you think Other mother let look into her front interior window and her back interior window

One of the things I liked more in the book was that the children didn't really "choose" the Other Mother like they did in the movie. She caught them and they couldn't escape. In the movie you kind of have to side-eye the kids for being willing to do it (Coraline resisted, after all).

My favorite was the tall one. Partly because she had a hat, and partly because she seemed even sadder than the other two.

I'm sure at least one of them would have been going home to poverty, epidemic, rape and/or a serious beating if they didn't. Lots of kids in other time periods didn't get lives as easy going as Coraline's.

So did the Other Mother have a preference for girls? Two of her three previous victims were girls, and Coraline would've been her fourth.

She might've walked the Oregon Trail.

Whoever was living in that house so most likely a coincidence.

I think she just feeds off children's selfish desires and wanting to be away from your family for one that makes you the center of attention in a world catered to you to be pretty selfish.

So, mostly girls?

How many guys did other mother let stick their penis in her vagina and her ass

Pretty much. The behind-the-scenes books dates two of them more specifically--boy is from pioneer times, open mouthed girl is from the turn of the 20th century, and Wybie's grandmother is presumably from the 1920s or 1930s. It's a lot easier to imagine that they had a life with more hardship than Coraline, whose problems were effectively "I'm temporarily bored and sad because I moved to a new place and my friends aren't here and my parents are busy and we're strapped for cash until they finish this book."

She's opportunistic, it just so happens that two were girls. If Wybie had lived in the Pink Palace she would have targeted him as well I think.

Speak English, you fucking Sphynx.

I think the children's ghost ages were changed in the movie, as the tall one is implied to come from an older time period than the other two (she also seems to be a year or two older than the others, incidentally)

It's the behind the scenes book book for the movie, Henry Selick is the one quoted as giving those time periods. The boy is the oldest, he's the one who uses the more archaic language.

How many male humans did the character 'other mother' from Coraline allow to perform sexual intercourse with her, both through her vaginal cavity and her anal cavity.

>boy is from pioneer times, open mouthed girl is from the turn of the 20th century

I thought it was the other way around. Coraline describes wide brimmed hat girl as "pioneer girl," and she seemed to speak just a little bit more old-timey than the boy, to me. Also I thought the picture of the boy in the sailor suit hanging over the mantle was a picture of the same boy, and those clothes were very Edwardian.

Possibly. I mean sadder in the sense that she seems to have been there the longest of all of them, and her mouth's been frozen wide open for all that time.

This labyrinth of words you are constructing just keeps getting more puzzling. Why do you torment us?

I'm going by what Henry Selick said.

The boy says "thou art" and Coraline called him Huck Finn Jr., even though using "thou art" wouldn't have been normal during the time period that novel's set in, so I wouldn't trust Coraline with the dates.

I liked it until the ending. Everything else was great.

Are you suggesting making stupid decisions is something people don't do?

What was wrong with the ending?

Actually, "thou art" wouldn't fit well with any time period after the settling of Oregon, so that's really confusing in the first place. The little boy is admittedly only wearing a plain shirt, trousers, and suspenders, so he could be from a lot of different times considering how plain an outfit that is. It is kind of strange that he's not in short pants, though, because he speaks the least maturedly than the other ghosts, shortening the word "remember" to " 'member" and speaking of his "mommy." I can't find the dream clip, but going by this clip, the tall girl seems to be speaking more archaically, but I guess that's mostly just from the use of term "belledame," which is probably used by all of them:

youtube.com/watch?v=DhQPkOqz-x8

I'm not trying to disagree with you, I do believe that you read that from Henry Selick, it just doesn't feel right and I'm just rambling trying to sort it out.

>I'm not trying to disagree with you, I do believe that you read that from Henry Selick, it just doesn't feel right

I think it's just a case where they kept dialogue from the book (the "thou art alive" is dialogue adapted from the book, where he says "th'art alive. Thou livest.") which didn't translate into the movie's setting in Oregon, since in the book it was set in England so having the children be much older logistically worked.

I do think the tallest ghost does appear to be from the turn of the 20th century because of her outfit. She also matches the concept art in the book the closest, where you can see her dress before it's tattered, one of those sailor numbers. In some of the concept art the boy is wearing short pants, but I guess they changed their minds.

I might let her if she let me cum inside her desu.

>going down the Coraline concept art rabbit hole again

damn it

>in one of the concept arts one of the children was a toddler at most

jesus fuck

Is the movie actually that different from the book?

They are kids, and kids are stupid.

Well, it's not The Snow Queen to Frozen kind of different. It hits all the correct major points, it just usually does the details differently to translate the concepts better to visuals and to the film format. Also it tweaks the end a little in a way that allows the end of the movie to be a surprise, especially if you've read the book beforehand.

The fundamental storyline is the same. Aside from the addition of Wybie, the main differences are in the details and how things play out.

so for instance

In the movie, the Other Mother operates by gradually luring Coraline away from her real liffe, tempting her by using what she learns from the little doll to make Coraline want to stay. The first time Coraline goes to the other world, it's out of curiosity of what's on the other side. The second time, it's because she wants to see more. The third time, it's because she wants to stay.

In the book, Coraline visits the Other World out of curiosity of what's on the other side of the door, and everything is already set up for her. There aren't any particular "wonders" like the movie has. The performance by the Other Spink and Forcible is not particularly amazing and is instead rather creepy. The Other Mr. B offers to let Coraline see his rats, who sing a creepy song, "feed" upstairs. Her rejection of staying isn't so much a "oh my god I love being here it's so amazing and fantastical WHAAAT YOU WANT TO SEW BUTTONS ON MY EYES?!?!" but "Eh, no thanks. I'm good. This was interesting but nah. Gonna go home now." Except the Other Mother has already got her parents by the time she gets home, which the Other Mother doesn't object to her doing.

The movie presents Coraline and the ghost children as giving into the temptations of the Other Mother, resulting in her being offered the button eyes; Coraline rejected them, though the ghost children gave in. In the book it's just the bad luck of going through the door in the first place that puts you in that situation, no temptation involved. One of the ghost children says as much, that he walked through the door and never saw his real mama again.

There was also the part in the book where other father tries to break Coraline's legs.

Quite a few, though I guess the movie does make the Other World more fun, in a creepy kind of way.
Also no Wybie.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_UwtRridg
This scene is good damn awesome for many reasons

To be fair, their expressions don't exactly say they willingly accepted having buttons sewn on their eyes.

Also Coraline in the book is more on her own and has to use her own wits/courage, whereas Coraline in the movie is given more help by other characters.

In the movie, "she" finds the parents in the snow globe because the cat goes look! and shows her that they're in the globe. In the book, she deduces hrself that the parents are in the snow globe because it's the only object in the drawing room which doesn't have a corresponding object in the real world.

In the movie, Other Wybie saves Coraline from the room behind the mirror and helps her escape the first time. In the book, Coraline toughs it out in the room behind the mirror and the Other Mother takes her out after she's served her punishment. In the movie, Wybie saves the day and destroys the Other Mother's hand. In the book, Coraline plays the long con and tricks the hand by pretending to have a tea party on top of the concealed well so that it falls under.

I don't remember him specifically trying to break Coraline's legs? It's been a while since I read it though.

>their expressions don't exactly say they willingly accepted having buttons sewn on their eyes.

They say

>so we let her sew the buttons

and their expressions are horrified because after they let her sew the buttons, she locked them away and ate up their lives. So they died in misery and horror.

Considering all the crossover fanart I've seen made for Laika films, I'm surprised I haven't seen any for the ghost children and Aggie from Paranorman.

So, were every single one of those mice individual puppets?

yep

youtu.be/rmy_nhfo-xw?t=33

Oh OK! I didn't know about that part.

yo nigga bet that crooked hoe without a soul up 'n let up all them niggas in BOTH her holes namsayin??

Is this German? Cram it with the krout speak!

>pretending to have a tea party on top of the concealed well so that it falls under.
That still creeps me out. Who's to say the hand can't crawl out?
At least in the movie, it's in pieces.

Thank goodness they removed that. That's too much even for this movie.

Didn't one of the kids have wings in the book?

It will be able to crawl out once the wooden planks rot away. But that's someone else's problem, Coraline OUT!

yes

Too bad there won't be a sequel with a new kid.
Then again, sequels aren't really a good thing most times.

Maybe, but, if the Other Mother has no soul to eat in all that time, won't she die?

It's the same director as Nightmare before Christmas. It's not a copycat.

I wouldn't mind a prequel or a sequel, but I don't know how radically different it could be from Coraline to justify its existence. It would either have to be something totally different, like a book about the Other Mother herself, or maybe a prequel that is mostly about something else but just happens to tie into Coraline... like a sotry about the fairy kid and ending with her going through the door.

I guess it depends on how you interpret things. It's not really said that she will die without feeding on their souls through her form of possessive love, but you can definitely interpret her as needing to feed on them through love in order to sustain herself. Especially since once Coraline starts finding the souls, the Other World starts becoming flat like a child's picture. On the other hand, another reason why the world starts becoming less real is that as Coraline finds the souls, she's 1) taking something that souls that the Other Mother possesses and doesn't want to let go of and 2) getting closer to winning the game, and the Other Mother is becoming angry and losing her control over herself. As the book said, Coraline was like a pet whose behavior was no longer amusing.

Other Mother literally says she'll die without Coraline when she locks the door to the other world.

Did she mean that literally, though? I thought it might be an attempt at emotional manipulation, like an abusive lover who threatens to kill themself if you leave them.

I don't think they had the benefit of being warned off by other characters

Which includes Other Dad or whatever, which is just an extension of Other Mother, which implies on some level that she herself wanted to be stopped even though she had to keep going to sustain herself

I'm getting spooked again.