Amazon x DC Comics Digital Subscription

bleedingcool.com/2017/03/06/dc-comics-planning-digital-subscription-with-amazon-prime-and-everything-changes/

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

comixology.com/drm-free-backup
deadline.com/2017/02/time-warner-shares-rise-fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-probably-wont-review-att-deal-1202014842/
forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2017/03/06/youtube-tv-improves-outlook-for-att-time-warner-merger/#274a7dbde597
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good.

I would be happy but comixology is fucking terrible. Just let me download the .cbr file

I already have Humble Bundle, WWE Network, and Amazon Prime. One more isn't gonna break bank.
>Potentially $5.99 to $12.99 a month.
Is this gonna be a tier thing? Like lower price for less books, higher price for more?

I heard you can download the comic to your device if you use a handheld. That's the main thing on why I don't want to buy into this. I can't afford to be always online.

comicology is probably pissing their pants but I don't think this will affect numbers until digital gets drastically cheaper than print.

no one is going to sign up for $72 for a year's worth of Batman even if they give you the annual and variant cover images for free

Why don't they just do DC unlimited

Marvel Unlimited is so great

What about a laptop? I have a touchscreen laptop that I use ComicRack with so if they let me do the cbr download and get access to the full library I will gladly pay $5 extra a month for it.

Comixology DOES let you do that. You can download DRM-free copies of the comics that you buy.

Just not with DC or Marvel, because Marvel and DC forbid it.

Broaden your horizons, read more comics, and stop blaming Comixology for shit that isn't Comixology's fault.

Comixology is owned by Amazon, so I expect that Comixology will be a part of this.

>comicology is probably pissing their pants
Comixology is owned by Amazon, so a DC subscription service with Amazon shouldn't cross over and hurt it. Presumably they could make the DC archive library through Amazon like with Marvel Unlimited and also have things like exclusive shows or episodes through Amazon Prime like with Netflix.

Since OP didn't put out any details from the article:

>The questions indicated that DC is testing the waters on features to include, price points, levels of exclusivity with other platforms, etc. Features noted were existing DC-based TV shows and movies, original short-form and long-form content and digital comic access, discounts on merchandise, subscription-box service discounts, and behind-the-scenes content.

>One source recalled “a question which asked what I would consider a “small” number of issues and an “extensive” number of issues to include in such a database.”

I read cbr files and buy what I liked through Comixology.

The platform is fucking terrible mate. Its absolutely atrocious and the reader sucks ass. And "broaden my horizons." I have Eternaut, Blacksad and Bouncer sitting on my shelf right now. Do you even know what those are?

I'm not a digital fag.

If you think that Comixology doesn't have DRM-free downloads, then you have only used Comixology for Marvel and DC.

That's your own fault, not Comixology's.

meh pay more money to read comics
why not just work a deal with amazon so prime customers get it for free
wanting to compete with HBO will mess them up

Because they do good business monetizing their current catalog.

nice

It's a retarded platform mate. You cant read them in a comic reader app, you have to use a kindle. It's also equivalent to paying to rent movies. Itd be like paying for Netflix then buying titles on there. It's not a good platform. You are better off buying physical copies.

Marvel does too that's a bs excuse

Do you have actual brain damage?

>It's a retarded platform mate. You cant read them in a comic reader app,
Yes, you can. You can download comics from Comixology as a DRM-free .pdf or .cbz file, and then read them in a comic reader app.

It's not Comixology's fault that Marvel and DC forbid this. The blame lies with DC and Marvel.

It's not Comixology's fault that you only read Marvel/DC on Comixology. The blame lies with (You).

8/10 titles you cant download for free. You are paying for a platform to buy comics on. That makes no sense whatsoever. As soon as you stop paying for that you lose all those comics you purchased. Trades are cheaper in the long run and you keep them forever.

>8/10 titles you cant download for free.
Again, broaden your horizons.

Marvel and DC might be 80% of what you CHOOSE to read, but they are not 80% of everything that's available.

Tell me what company gives you more than the first 3 issues free on comixology. Image doesn't. Dynamite doesn't. Dark Horse doesn't. Fantagraphs doesnt.

Free comics is something else. We're talking about DRM-free downloads.

Your original complaint is that Comixology doesn't let you download a file. It does. Read the link:

Unless you have magic infallibility powers and can never ever ever be wrong about anything, just fucking accept that you were wrong about something and move on with your life.

It lets you download them but my point that it's a terrrible platform still stands. Go ahead though friendo, I will keep buying physical copies and you keep paying a subscription for a platform to buy comics on that you will never have access to if you stop paying for the subscription. Might just be how old I am but that sounds like a really idiotic thing to do.

What's this, exactly?

there is no subscription to use comixology you idiot

> for a platform to buy comics on that you will never have access to if you stop paying for the subscription

Do you not know what the words "download" and "drm-free" mean? you are so retarded

>What's this, exactly?
Nobody knows yet, DC is basically sending out feelers to test the market on what they're interested in and for what price. It could be anything - from just a DC Unlimited style app to one that also allows you to watch DC related shows and Netflix style original programming to also giving you discounts on merchandise.

Does DC have no input about that CW Seed app thing? Didn't that app just aired Justice League War?

Yes, but Amazon is the largest online marketplace in the world and also has a content streaming service with Amazon Prime. Having at DC content package that you can add onto your Prime account or by itself for (as an example) $9.99 would reach much, much more people than just winging it on your own. Imagine if someone's just signing up for Prime or renewing and a little button comes up saying "Would you like to read hundreds of DC comics and watch hours of DC programming for just an additional $9.99 with your Amazon subscription?!"

Amazon's gonna screw them so hard on digital-only that DC's paper prices will go up 50%

digital's only going to work if it gets huge uptake - and fair shake to the idea, that's *possible* on a platform like Amazon, it's like being back in the drugstore racks but with, you know, 80 titles coming out a month.

The problem for the publisher is that Amazon famously takes a high percentage of sales - so lower-than-paper prices won't help much unless there's a massive increase in readership virtually overnight; the secondary problem is that as sales (and therefore downloads, and therefore hosting costs) go up, Amazon will charge the publisher more until sales hit a point where Amazon's costs are more easily met and a reduction in costs can be countenanced.

Think 50% of the sale price going to Amazon, and remember the last time anybody had sales data for DC digital four or five years ago, it had plateau'd under 10% of their paper sales, and the paper sales of comics as a whole are practically nothing compared to other monthlies in the same price range, which can sell in the millions despite being 50% ads by volume.

DC has to pay for all this somehow - you can't just assume they're going to get a better deal than literally everybody else because they're DC (if anything the opposite is probably true). They need Amazon, not the other way around - that's never a good start to negotiation.

Based on the past couple of years, consistent high-sellers will go up a dollar on paper copies to cover the cost, assuming the price rise isn't line-wide - and god knows that's coming soon anyway.

This is pasta.

>DC has to pay for all this somehow - you can't just assume they're going to get a better deal than literally everybody else because they're DC (if anything the opposite is probably true). They need Amazon, not the other way around - that's never a good start to negotiation.
Considering the Warners & AT&T deal just leapfrogged it's largest and most significant hurdle on the way to happening and DC will soon have access to all the digital distribution access that AT&T has, they don't need to rush anything or take any deal with Amazon that doesn't give them a good deal.

deadline.com/2017/02/time-warner-shares-rise-fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-probably-wont-review-att-deal-1202014842/
forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2017/03/06/youtube-tv-improves-outlook-for-att-time-warner-merger/#274a7dbde597

No they don't. DC has the monopoly on classic GN that still sell. Marvel would literally kill for a Watchmen. They would probably kneecap you for a Killing Joke

Why not make a DC jump like the japs do? Comic fans don't buy digital because we like collecting and reselling

>tfw you are a DCfag who lives in Australia 50 miles from the closest LCS

Digital is the only way I can consume comics, this interests me greatly. I hope its international and I hope it features a subscription service where you can get all the latest comics in Wednesday. I don't care if its $50 a month I'd eat that shit up.

>Comic fans don't buy digital because we like collecting and reselling

Not everyone is a collector, some people just like the stories.

This

I dont give a fuck, i will just pirate, i just buy hardcover

This tbqh

Good if it provides a service other people want but that's not me