Why don't studios make more animated religious stories...

Why don't studios make more animated religious stories? Religious movies tend to do well at the box office and if it's animation, religious parents will definitely take their kids to see it. Even modern movies that try to get smeared before they're released with "white washing" articles still make double their budget back. VeggieTales is still pretty popular. And Prince of Egypt was one of Dreamworks only successful 2D films because of its content.

So why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eaGyKuLQTvA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjun:_The_Warrior_Prince
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Literally because liberals.

2D animation studios mostly are made up of liberals who hate religion. Not to mention that if you were to misrepresent the subject matter people would be up in arms.

Even this movie had a trigger warning at the front saying it was an artistic representation.

Religious stories are either ridiculous or amoral. First will offend the fundies and the second isn't good for kids. Even the OP pic has a fucking murderer for a protagonist and features God mercilessly torturing the Pharaoh and the people of Egypt by sending them plagues for their refusal to let his people free even though he himself has mind controlled the Pharaoh into refusing.

They probably wouldn't do well in China.

I want a rated-R Samson movie.

>animated religious stories

That depends on the studio now doesn't it? Like can you imagine Disney doing a Bible story?

Notre Dame? Pocahontas?

Not religious stories, but pretty taboo for them regardless.

Most studio execs are globalists, and globalists are anti religion.

Religious adaptations are usually off-limits because you'll piss off the fundamentalists who think it's an affront to their faith for it to be portrayed in as "frivolous" as animation.

Religious characters and scenarios in other stories are usually avoided because, in addition to the above you used to get a bunch of people nagging you to put some form of representation for every religious group in, as though a lack of a representative in one fictional story somehow invalidates the faith at large.

Regardless of how anal retentive people are today about representation in media, in my experience, at least, the whole "if you represent one you've got to represent them all" thing is being recognized as an overbearing, arbitrary sentiment.

Regardless, studios are afraid of not appealing to as many people as possible, and religion is such a touchy subject as is, so they'd rather just avoid it.

I just think lifting something directly from the Bible would cause a lot of controversy.

Alex, why are you on Sup Forums?

Name one religious story that could be made into a kids movie that does not involve mass murder.

yes

Too dangerous. Do it the wrong way and piss everyone off. Play it safe and it ends up generic as all getout. No matter what you do you'll only appeal to a small amount of people and Christians are no longer a supermajority in America like they were 20+ years ago. The only way to really pull it off is to make religion a secondary element rather than the prime selling point.

Still waiting for a Life of Pi animated adaptation.

Just slap a classic Mickey Mouse character on it.

High budget animated Hindu movies when?

Abraham, Issac and the Lamb.

Could be titled

"You, Me and Chops."

Oh yes, India, the country that corrupted the concept of Karma and practically invented the caste system.

Any of them. Prince of Egypt didn't exactly hide Ramses father murdering children

Kids who grow up in religious households don't have all the murder stories censored to them, just the stories about sex, which is heavily taboo in the Bible.

Don't even have to bother making it into a kids movie, just because it's from the bible people will still take their kids to see it for the lesson the story tells. I know people that took 5 year olds to the Passion of the Christ.

My sister and her husband took their 10 year old to see Logan because it had Wolverine in it. I used to watch Mel Gibson movies with my dad when I was a kid. Kids in the 50's and 60's used to admire lone wolf cowboy murderer characters. Do people really think these movies fuck kids up or something? I'm sure everyone here watched some R-rated shit when they were little. Only actual prude parents will refuse to show kids anything that has a hint of death or shouting in it. And those are very far and few compared to the average parent.

Still better than any mudslime country.

The Bible contains one of the most famous erotic poems in it. Sex isn't nearly a taboo in it.

According to population statistics, India is a "mudslime country".

why shouldnt kids be exposed to the idea of mass murder? happens often enough on the news anyway

I was speaking more about the importance of marriage, pre-marital sex, how casual sex with multiple partners tends to be frowned upon for a woman, wives being property, etc.

>Not to mention that if you were to misrepresent the subject matter people would be up in arms.

So... not just liberals then, butthurt religious conservatives too. It's almost like religion is a touchy subject no matter what your political beliefs are.

LOL
O
L

Well Hunchback tried avoiding mentioning God whenever it could. Like having that bishop say that Notre Dame was watching Frollo at the start. The implications are clear, but it still shows the statues of Notre Dame literally looking down on him.

I think the most you can do is animations with religious themes. Iron Giant had some religious themes to it and its a very well regarded animation.

We could use an animated adaptation of JCS.

>Religious movies tend to do well at the box office

Not anymore. Look at Ben-Hur, Anne Rice's The Young Messiah and Risen.

I don't think Ben Hurr really counts. Pretty sure it failing had little to nothing to do with its religious content and everything to do with it looking like another generic blockbuster.

In the unlikely event this isn't a stupid bait post:

Religious flicks love or die by the audience they aim for. The Ben Hur remake last summer didn't do well, shit like God's Not Dead is low budget so easy to turn a profit on, but very niche.

When you combine animation with religion you're really narrowing your possible audience considerably, which means you have to be very careful about what you produce.

Studios are about making money. Live action flicks have broad appeal. General interest stories have broad appeal. Superhero flicks are over right now because of a mix of nostalgia and easy/pleasant fantasy that runs little risk of offending anyone.

You'll get a religious movie or three every year, and I'm sure an animated one will happen again, but it's a gamble, and Hollywood isn't big on gambling.

I would love to see ancient religions being portrayed.

Where the fuck do you live op?

I live in the UK and I literally have never met a single religious person. People just liked that moses movie because of the songs. The movie was fucking trash.

This. Outside of the score Prince of Egypt is severely overrated like all of the 2d Dreamworks films

South Carolina. I've yet to go to a person's house there who hasn't said grace before dinner.

I'm sorry. I live in Georgia myself where churches are the most popular installment with gas stations in second.

Because religion is fucking stupid and the people who believe in it are the stupidest people I have ever met in my life. What's more, they can't handle change or stress without going apeshit. It's fucking sad. I don't pay $12 to watch a retarded movie filled by an audience who actually believe someone once put every animal on the planet on a fucking boat. Religious movies are essentially no different that "Food Fight" and that Titanic movie that had the rapping dog and talking dolphins. It's just ridiculous. Nothing about it makes any logical sense.

Now, having said that, "Prince of Egypt" is in my collection. While it is a religious movie that involves a small talking bush on fire (god, it still blows my mind people think this shit happened once), the CORE of the story is about two brothers and how different ideals can pull them apart. Racism is real. Slavery is STILL happening everywhere in the world right now. If you latch on to that and ignore the frogs appearing because...frogs are bad?....there's a good movie.

>How to contradict yourself in three easy sentences

>God's Not Dead
I still can't believe they made a movie out of that "A jew atheist homosexual professor was teaching a class when a young patriotic christian war veteran walked in" copypasta. Or that it made 62 million fucking dollars.

>Religious movies tend to do well at the box office

What kind of shithole do you live in OP? Ben-hur was awful, the one about Noah's ark was only interesting because of the embodiments of nature, the greek ones they kept making were shite, Gods of Egypt was spectacularly meh, and all other 'reinterpretations' of the mythology or other kinds of adaptations are spectacularly lackluster.

Religion mythos is an extremely boring genre on it's own; it needs to be tied to something, else it's just 'this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened, and this was okay because moral message that's fucking obvious to anyone whose mother isn't their sister'.

Ah.

>Yet to go to a house where they haven't said grace

The bible belt truly is the bowl of poisoned skittles.

They just do their bible stories in Stop-motion!

Disney's Noah's Ark! Now with JAzz!
youtube.com/watch?v=eaGyKuLQTvA

The days they made The Hunchback of Notre Dame or Prince of Egypt were very different days user, you can't get away with that shit in 2017 without everyone throwing a bitch fit.

>Shitposting on Sup Forums
>Looks down at people who pray before meals

m'ladies

I was more making fun of the taste in movies as a state in general, rather than your religious beliefs, but fair enough.

Still, not one? Not a single family who doesn't say grace before meals? I have to admit, that is impressive.

I should make a movie about fedora posting. Maybe I'll make 62 million dollars too.

Fuck off and die faggot

>Why don't studios make more animated religious stories?

Well first there's the fact that most animated movies consist of talking non-humans.

And of those that involve humans, the majority feature children as protagonists.

And when you divide up the ones that center on adults, you get a handful of which Prince of Egypt is one. Also, plenty of movies involve religion... just not necessarily the tales of the Abrahamic ones.

I'm Christian and I couldn't believe it was a thing, much less a thing people actually saw.

>Christians are no longer a supermajority in America like they were 20+ years ago.
This thread got me thinking how it felt like I was seeing a LOT of religious cartoony shit for children whether in the form of animated shorts, video games, direct to video movies, and the likes when I was a kid and wondered where the hell did all that go.

Guess it just died down.

Mainly because shit's expensive, unless you want your film to look like total ass. Veggie Tales skates a thin line by being juuuuust vague enough on the particulars of religion to get away with a TV show, but a full-length feature movie? IIRC the one they make in the early 2000s bombed.

Even faith-based film companies wanna turn a profit, and both animation and faith-based films are hard to turn a profit off of. Combine the two and its kryptonite.

Dreamworks went through a very short golden age... I wouldn't even put El Dorado above spirit. But I admit, it's because I'm not attracted to women.

Oversea box offices. Prince of Egypt was banned in like five countries.

Dreamworks tried to keep the bible story movies going, but their Joseph movie was a flop.

>But I admit, it's because I'm not attracted to women.
I can definitely see that, nearly 100% of El Dorado's appeal is based on Chel because god knows the rest of the movie is terribly mediocre. That said you really don't know what you're missing out on, gayfag.

inb4

this why traps are a thing

Road to El Dorado is amazingly gay. It has a character like Chell, and is still one of the gayest things ever created. Give it a watch.

Do it, kill fedorafags!

Becsuse weve grown out of the need of god

Speak for yourself. Don't worry, I'm praying for you, though.

You just have a different god now, I'd bet it's money.

Sausage Party was a good religious movie though and liberals totally backed it

>2D animation studios mostly are made up of liberals who hate religion.
[citation needed]

Dreamworks could do a BALLER movie based on the early life of King David

>Starts as poor sheep herder
>Kills Goliath
>Anointed as rightful king
>King Saul tries to kill him
>Flees into wilderness
>Gradually builds up an army
>David and Joab become bros
>David and Joab's army take out Saul and Abner
>David officially King of Israel

SEQUEL
>Epic battles, get Arc of Covenant back
>B-plot focuses on David's "Mighty Men" (look them up, they were some badass motherfuckers)
>David falls for Bathsheba (make it PG)
>Absolom's coup
>David dies, Solomon takes rightful place

END

I already know the ending to all those movies and you can't involve interpretation to spice shit up without provoking conservative terrorist

>I already know the ending

Everyone knows how Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams ended.

It didn't stop them from being successful.

>Disney's Samson

how about movies of religious stories from religions that aren't boring as fuck

let's see some crazy Hindu stories about Shiva fucking up everyone's day or something

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjun:_The_Warrior_Prince

Don't you know, every world field that someone doesn't like is full of liberals

>country that corrupted the concept of Karma
Explain

Fuck off christcuck
If you mean zesus then yes

Native Americans objectively have the best legends.

>Maya Hero Twins
>Owl-Man Giant and Monster Elk
>Ghost Society
>Underwater Lodge
>Star Boy
>The Great Bear

Unfortunately, the legends are sacred, meaning that Disney/Dreamworks would have a hard time getting permission to make movies.

If they didn't get permission, Libs would go apeshit.

If they did get permission then the conservative would throw a fit

As they should

I remember this show, and how it was cancelled as soon as the pilot aired.

Liberalism and conservatism have nothing to do with religion.