So how many shops are going to order this variant? This is what Axel Alonso deems worthy of print

So how many shops are going to order this variant? This is what Axel Alonso deems worthy of print.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/images/i/000/192/781/original/X-Men_Gold_1_Davis_Hip-Hop_Variant.jpg
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-01.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What the fuck am I looking at.

I, at first thought this was something done by a special needs kid, or some kid dying of cancer, as a nice gesture from Marvel to let them make a cover for them. But nope, middle aged, non retarded black man.

> babby's first variant

real quality thread ya got here op

So why do you give a shit?

>shitposting

provide a source or gtfo. Because google search returns nothing, and that trade dressing is all sorts of fucked for several reasons. That's not real.

I would bu the shit out of a special need kid's super-simple variant cover

It's a Hip-Hop variant. That's how all those variants look.

I'm sorry, I've never seen a variant this godforsaken before, have you? Please share something equally as bad, wont you?

This is actually worse than any outsider art, because there is nothing innocent or weirdly cool about it.

Here ya go faggot.

newsarama.com/images/i/000/192/781/original/X-Men_Gold_1_Davis_Hip-Hop_Variant.jpg

Holy shit Marvel is FINISHED.

>buy 1500% of these
>get 1 extra special gold cover

What does the original it parodys look like?

>Marvel fags will buy this

how does the variant thing work? do they throw the variants in for free with a large order or to you actually have to order a variant?

What's the album cover it's homaging?

That is the worst art I have ever seen in capeshit and god knows we have plenty.
There has to be some meaning behind this.

If it's a 1/50 variant, every order of 50 books comes with a variant.

It's not like TCG packs where you have a 2% chance of getting it or whatever. It's just straight up "buy fifty, get one."

It's based on a specific album's cover art. That's probably what the album's art looks like.

It depends. The kind that are called initiative variants are based on percentages on old orders. Example:
You order 2 Avengers #1
To get variant cover x you need to order 150% of Avengers #2
So you have to order at least 3 Avengers #2 to get that variant cover

>The top comic company (besides DC who is kicking their ass) is hiring under qualified people when there are others more deserving of the job and probably need it more.

>Their defense to this is "Well he's back".

>"Why do you care?!?"

The artist is Andre Leroy Davis, who is a cartoonist for The Source, a popular hip-hop magazine. His art style is very 'caricature' based - realistic, distorted portraits, etc, etc.

That's why the art looks like that.

To my knowledge, this isn't based on a specific album cover.

So what hip hop album is this interference to

>The top comic company (besides DC who is kicking their ass)

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-01.html

>Dollar Share
>Marvel: 42.62%
>DC: 31.33%

>Market Share
>Marvel: 37.09%
>DC: 28.93%

Something tells me that Marvel doesn't give a shit.

See:

Where the fuck do they find these people?

Something went wrong

The degree to which people on Sup Forums are wiling to play dumb or ignore facts just to shit on Marvel is getting to be as bad as the shitpost on Sup Forums

How the fuck brave things gotten this bad?

They were actually less than 0.5% apart in market share last month, which is kinda bad for Marvel since they are putting out 20% more titles than DC. And I'm assuming they care because that means that their costs per book are higher and eats into their margins.

without any kind of photo reference to caricature, his art really blows.

How are we ignoring facts now? That cover is ugly as sin, doesn't matter if it's drawn by some obscure hip hop guy with "muh style" syndrome.

doesn't that kind of go against the entire point of the hip hop covers?

The fuck are you talking about? With the facts this is even worse. It's parodying anything, this is an honest to God attempt at art.

What is happening here? Is this the parody cover or something?

He tried to make them anatomically correct and so ended up creating monsters.

It's a variant cover by an artist who intentionally draws things ugly. You really gonna complain about a variant and use it as some kind of metric of Marvel's overall quality? If you where complaining about Deodato or Land's so called "art", then that would be understandable

Except they were still ahead by 7% in dollar share. Unit share isn't what really matters at the end of the day, but profits are. Granted, we can't even begin to know where the profit line is, but Marvel charges more for their books, and thus makes more money.

Wow. I'm a Marvelfag and you are one deluded stupid cunt.

Should have stuck with the caricatures.

Intentionally drawing it ugly doesn't make it not ugly. If you saw this on a shelf, would you think it looks good? Do you think the average comic shop visitor knows who the artist is?

SEETHING

That's actually really good. Something happened in the past 22 years, clearly.

It's a parody of a hip-hop album but since none of us follow rap closely enough to identify what album it's parodying, we're all just using it as an opportunity to shit on Marlel.

>All new X Men lineup!
>Piotor "Jay Leno Chin" Rasputin
>Melissa McCarthy
>Moira McTaggart
>Uncle Ben (the rice guy, not the Spiderman one)
>Trap Storm (Uncle Ben is literally fondling her(?) dick)
>Tardcrawler

Unless the album looks exactly like that, we'll keep shitting on it.

That's true, but they are also paying for more creative teams and pressumably printing and shipping more unsold issues. So they could be making more money without making (significantly) more profit.

It's all a guessing game in the end since we don't have an the numbers in front of us, but it's not a good sign for them that they're lagging behind like that.

No but so fucking what, these things are aimed at an incredibly niche audience. And it's a fucking variant so who fucking cares except niche collectors who are into these kinds of things?

Oh right, any excuse to get mad at Marvel and shitpost

Not really, since The Source is a huge part of hip-hop culture.

>more for creative teams
Do we know that for sure?

>unsold issues
Unless they're returnable, that doesn't matter at all for Marvel. All that matters is how many the shops buy.

>these things are aimed at an incredibly niche audience.

Rappers will not be buying this comic because they have some shitty artist on it.

>And it's a fucking variant so who fucking cares except niche collectors who are into these kinds of things?

Because there are better artists who are more deserving of the job and the paycheck.

>muh company wars
It's a shitty cover, irrespective of who is publishing it. It honestly looks like a 4th grader drew it.

Show me a DC cover this bad and I'll shit on it.

This looks like something out of MAD magazine.

>No but so fucking what, these things are aimed at an incredibly niche audience
So why even bother getting good artists for comic books? They're for a niche audience too.

Also, the collectors are even more concerned with the final product than the average joe. Other than the miniscule amount of people who buy EVERYTHING, they're not going to collect something that sucks so much dick.

Which probably would have have a better cover than trying to make something both "normal" and exaggerated.

I don't think a 4th grader would have that level of motor control or ability to accurately form shapes.

>Some sad cunt is actually going to fork out huge money because he's a variant whore who has to catch em all

That fucking Storm, man

are they laughing at Rachel's new code name?

Trips have overlooked the tumblr culture appeal of this cover. GO, see if they have something to say about it. I await your return and news on the state of the empire in the jungle regions. Hmmmm.
>sips brandy and plays vinyl albums

They have 20% more books, therefore 20% more creative teams. Assuming people that with 2+ books get paid the same for each book they do.

They still have to print and ship them out which is a cost and requires workers and space, overprinting in particular could be an issue here but yes, the rest should be covered by retailers. Though for all we know they could have 5 pallets of Slapstick #1 hidden away somewhere

>So why even bother getting good artists for comic books?
There's a different between something that 100k people will read, and something that literally a dozen people will buy.

This is the art that the creator of ollicity deserves.

>trying to play the tumblr card on this
sad

>this is what shills have been calling "Marvel Rebirth"
Lmao, Marvel is dead.

Twas a humor joke, are you simple?
>continues to sip brandy though

Checked tags. 50% Gambit cover, nothing about this abomination.

It doesn't matter about how many people are gonna see it. What matters is Marvel still paid for this.

I've got ya, boss

If it comes as a variant it'll come with a 1 in whatever. Presumably quite low numbers of orders - maybe 1 in 25.

So pretty much any store that isn't about to forclose.

The number of titles each company puts out varies each month. Some months it's DC, some months it's Marvel. Some months it's almost Image.

Diamond doesn't print or ship unsold issues - the direct market doesn't work that way. If it's printed, someone paid for it. The LCS market buys the comics and it then becomes their problem to shift them - but it's also up to the LCS owners how much to order, which is down to things like readership but also, of course, down to variants. The look of the variant doesn't matter - only its rarity matters.

So if nobody orders this one, it'll be worth a lot of money. But since nobody knows in advance how much of anything is going to get ordered - and even the LCS owners can't really guess how many of each variant will end up existing - there's no easy way to game that.

>it's not a good sign for them that they're lagging behind like that

The number of titles shipped is often not reflective of first-run - a second printing counts if it ships in a different month to its cover date, as is frequently the case (because of the lag time between ordering and printing). Reprint costs next to nothing to produce, just the pay for one editor who's already on payroll, etc etc.

Indeed, it's strange to see someone arguing that Marvel must be paying more creative teams after years of bitching about how Marvel double-ships books - two books by the same team in one month is probably cheaper than two books by different teams, but that depends on seniority, how well the various creators sell, and so on. For a book like ASM, for example, there may no longer be a meaningful page rate for Slott - just a monthly rate for which he's obliged to produce 44 pages and attend various meetings (probably phone or online). But I don't know; you'd have to ask him.

Looks like it was done by an inebriated Mike Allred.

So what is the story this cover is trying to portray? Each character seems to be existing in their own abstract reality, desperately trying to get the mounds of sausages they'd call their bodies to function properly but failing. It's like they're lining up for some kind of family photo, but nobody agreed what kind of poses they should be taking. Colossus seems appropriately baffled by the ordeal, and Nightcrawler looks like he was sketched into the photo after the fact in crayon.

Then my faithful intelligencer, we await the coming storm. Oh my I walked into that one like Sideshow Bob into a field of rakes didn't I?
>The Beach Boys begins to play

those are some ugly faces, but the linework is at least competent. I'm sure you can do better for me.

Come on man just look at Cyborg and Flash. I mean Flash alone!

I'm not saying it's GOOD. But it's no where near OP.

>Marvel is putting out more products and selling significantly less per product than DC, but that's fine because they're assreaming their paying customers with higher prices for products their fans are increasingly dissatisfied with.
Clearly Marvel's current status is fine.

I dunno I looked up the guy's art and he's not bad at art. More of a caricature artist than anything. He just phoned this one in entirely. He did some Luke Cage stuff and it was ok.

The fuck are you talking about? Flash is the most human looking thing in this.

>initiative
incentive

he's got the part mostly right. The colorist definitely isn't helping.

Sales per product don't really matter if your product makes more money.

I don't know if that's the case for sure, but Marvel seems to be doing just fine.

>I am Piotr Rasputin, can anyone explain why are my fingers are as long as my thumb

Looks like a poster to an old low-budget horror movie.