All Star Superman

What did Luthor mean by this, Sup Forums?

I don't think it's thinking 'It's just us in the universe, nothing else is beyond it', as Luthor is an atheist in many of his incarnations, and Christian God is canon in the DC universe as "The Presence", along with many other 'gods' and higher beings beyond their universe.
If it's not religious, then what is he on about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xr-3zUjZgl0
youtube.com/watch?v=oG0a9WFkgzU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he has autism

*incarnations, so no God probably wouldn't be apart of his epiphany.

what did he mean by this

>If it's not religious, then what is he on about?

He's talking about the interconnectiveness of life, and how life is all life has.

Superman has been seeing that every day since he was born, and it's why he's a hero. Lex viewed the universe selfishly because he couldn't see what Superman could see. Lex thought he was above other living things; Superman always knew he was just another living thing.

You ever seen that video of the color blind guy seeing purple for the first time?
Kinda like that, but with the scale of seeing existence from a new light

then why doesn't the spectre call himself "the wrath of the presence"

checkmate, athiests

Wasn't the presence killed? he created a sword and someone used it against him, if he can be killed he cannot be God

It's comicsl. The christian "God" is one of many gods. Gods die all the time in comics.

Different Universe. A godless one too.

>villain is finally realizing how wrong he was all along and that theres a better way to do things and work together

>hero flys in and smashes his teeth out

Well, it was moreso that Lex was the kind of person who refused to accept that truth without scientific explaination, being as emotionally limited as he is.

This

Lex finally understood why Superman values life so much, and it was like finding out that the father you'd been told was a deadbeat for years actually killed himself to save you decades ago

>A godless one too.
source?

youtu.be/xr-3zUjZgl0

It's a philosophical thesis that Grant Morrison believes in. The "Presence" is the whole, and we are mere, unimportant parts existing and dying while the "body" lives on.

If it mattered to him, he could have saved everyone a long time ago
if it's any consolation, he doesn't punch him in the movie adaptation

By this time in the comic, Superman was absolutely done putting up with Lex's shit.

That's an unnerving theory

Not because of the idea that I'm insignificant in the universe, but being what is essentially a sentient cell is just...freaky

OP, you retard. He meant that he saw how we're all in this together and we all have to do our best to act for the greater good of us all.

I find it humbling. I really do love Grant Morrison and his crazy comics.

Now post the Snyder edit!

>and Christian God is canon in the DC universe as "The Presence"

That's not true. The exact nature of The Presence is unclear and has been depicted in different ways, some of which are not at all like the mainline Christian conception of God.

The view Luthor expresses is compatible with the versions of The Presence that are more akin to the Hindu conception of "God" being in everything and everyone, a universal presence.

>unimportant parts

Someone's not understanding Grant's point.

It's kind of comforting if it were true. We'd all be part of greater, grander whole. Everyone and everything would have a purpose.

Ask and ye shall receive.

We do, user. We do.

Doing God's work user

That's why God made Sup Forums, a place for us to let out our shit.

Unless you're a cancer cell.

Even cancer has a purpose.

It's true! Cancer is part of the whole. LOL, I fucking love Grant Morrison.

Yeah, wrong word choice, but to be fair I had just marathoned the entire Rick and Morty show. So I was mixing my nihilism with Morrison's theory of interconnected parts of the whole.

Humans are good at perceiving patterns, but in part because of that, humans are very bad at understanding complexity (intuitively).

Everything is interconnected and, in a very mundane but humbling sense, the aggregated effects and feedback effects of our deeds are not foreseeable for the human brain. Superman however has the processing power and the measuring equipment (his senses) necessary.

Luthor understands complexity of action and of interconnected events on the physical level intuitively. If you were to analyze this (like it is done in the real world with simulations and data mining) you were to approach this in a cold, detached way, like Luthor did all his life. But if you, like in that panel, were to experience it and gain intuitive understanding, you would not be able to detach yourself from EVERYTHING, because you see your part in the grand machinery (however it might be built).

Everyone just stumbles around "the world", whether they know what they're doing or not. But there's only X so many people, on X so much land, in X so many countries. It's all finite. It's all limited. You may have heard the phrase "You're the only YOU there is! So be a great one!" But think about it. One is such a small number lost in a much, much bigger number.
Be excellent to each other. Him, her, you, now- it's all you got.

And then Lex Luthor got executed offscreen in the last pages of the comic.

He means he got spooked. Don't let it happen to you.

Well, the dude's as bad as Hitler. If Hitler would've been captured and shown remorse like that, he wouldn't have been spared either.

>tfw love ASS and MoS

Morrison isn't particular religious so thinking of this as a sense of Christianity would be a mistake.

It's more a reference to we are all made of star stuff - that all beings are made of the same elements and that it's "just us" - - meaning not just mere humanity - but everything on the planet and elsewhere and 'we're all we've got.'

The entire book. Morrison.

Not even the mainline dc universe.

He would've been in a pinch, because the Commies wouldn't care about him having accepted Jesus as his saviour all of a sudden.

these

No, you don't.

No one who feels emotions like joy or hope could like MoS, while the ability to feel those emotions is necessary for liking All-Star Superman.

You've made a mistake somewhere. Please think about it carefully and report back when you've found your error.

when the fuck does that happen??

youtube.com/watch?v=oG0a9WFkgzU

FF7...?

Everything is connected and all the good in the world has to start somewhere; at the end of the day, what we have to rely on is each other.

Be the change you want to see in the world and help others.

>as Luthor is an atheist in many of his incarnations, and Christian God is canon in the DC universe as "The Presence", along with many other 'gods' and higher beings beyond their universe.

Get away from thinking about minutiae of canon in works like this, btw; take it as its own thing using the symbolic weight of characters like Superman and Lex Luthor rather than a standard comic that's just meant to be consumed/collected.

I think the full speech reveals a bit more about Lex's epiphany. Lex is seeing the fundamental relations within his narrative universe. He sees that he is a player in a vast story which has been running since the creation of his universe. It's "thought-controlled" because the story is literally controlled by the creators' (and viewers') thoughts. For the first time, Lex realizes his existence is in service of a higher power: The story of superheroes, or more specifically the story of Superman. With Superman's perception, Lex is taken out of his role as the villain for a brief moment and he connects with the viewer directly. It's one of Morrison's most subtle "Character Looking At You" pages.

This is probably why the moment after, when Superman arrives and punches Lex out, leaves such a bad taste in people's mouths. What they don't see is how Lex's epiphany doesn't change him. When Superman is back in the picture, he punches Lex because they're in a fight. Instead of taking the pacifist path one might when faced with a revelation of such great cosmic awe, Lex immediately returns to his villainous behavior. "I saw how to save the world! I could have made everyone see! I could have saved the world if it wasn't for you!" What he's saying at the end isn't wrong, however. In this one specific case, Lex likely could have "saved the world" if it weren't for Superman being there at that moment to oppose him. Essentially, Superman saw through Luthor's epiphany for what it was: a passing fancy brought on by a fleeting new experience. In short, he called his bluff.

Reed is still a staunch atheist despite having personally met just about every single major deity in the setting and knows the guys who formed the multiverse and personify parts of existence..

This shit just happens in comics...

>Reed is an atheist

Not currently. In secret wars he mentions that the white light people see before they die is not brain death, but God. THE god. Hell, he's god in the current Marvel Multiverse.