Instead of fantasy mankino we are being bombarded with capeshit

>instead of fantasy mankino we are being bombarded with capeshit

Why can't we have fantasy movies like this anymore bros?
You would think that with got getting so popular this stuff would catch on.
Instead the king conan movie has been cancelled for almost a year now because the studio didn't see a place for it in the market.

Fantasy films are puerile power fantasies for manchildren, same as any comic book movie
This is total capeshit but you're too far gone to realize it
Grow up and watch some real cinema

Agreed I don't see Conan much different from Thor series.
Muscular men fighting for his kingdom against prophecy

Most people into fantasy now look to games anyway. Spending 1,000 hours in a universe you like beats 1 hour and 45 minutes of watching it.

Conan was a fluke; it should have been trash, bad acting, cheap costumes, bad special effects

Almost every other Fantasy movie I can think of is expensive and kinda cringey. I suspect Conan only works because of that score and Arnold being so damn charismatic... also James Earl Jones talking about Steel and Flesh

Conan doesn't fight for anything but himself though.
Aside from when he becomes king.

>nofun.jpg

The problem is that Conan (and other similar movies made in the 80s, which I like to refer as "D&D movies", like Willow, etc) are pagan, and demonic. Cape movies are nice and clean in comparison.

The first Conan has good filmmaking, none of the Thor movies do. Not that I expect you to understand what that is.

The first conan was a revenge story while all the capeshit movies have are unfunny jokes and cgi filled fights against faceless hordes of enemies.
Even in the comics there is more depth than in your average marvel/dc movie.

user did you forget about thor?
As much as they raped the mythology its still pagan.
Besides almost nobody is christian in the west so that really doesn't matter anymore.

Are you braindead?
Conan has some of the best world building and props around.

False, read the books - he regularly white knights for damsels and does things like infiltrate an enemy town alone in an attempt to free tribesmen he's currently ruling over.

He's selfless towards those he leads long before he becomes king.

People seem to like some fanfiction version of him where he's a cruel barbarian who cares about nothing and just ravages and plunders, but that's not the case and the complete antithesis of Howards theme that civilization corrupts men to be far worse than barbarity.

He does save women whenever he can or when a person has earned his loyalty but there are also instances when he does banditry to people he doesn't care about.

Oh sure, he'll infiltrate tribes and kill the leaders in cold blood just to take control, but once he HAS control he's usually pretty damn self-sacrificing and explicitly says that he cares and feels responsible for those who follow him.

People always seem to forget that last bit and treat him like he just rapes and pillages like some cliche. He's got more going on than that.

>Why can't we have fantasy movies like this anymore bros?
Because we don't have men like this anymore.

>MUH SOY!!!!!

>toxic masculinity movies
Not in 2017 m80, they are trying to turn all white men into soyboys not puff their chests out and find a back bone.

>forgets harry pooter

I'm not saying he is a cliche barbarian but what I mean is that he isn't above using underhanded ways to achieve his goals of power and personal glory.
Also a big theme atleast in the comics was that the barbarians are actually the honorable people while civilized people will try to backstab you with intricate plots where a barbarian would denounce you to your face.
I couldn't find this theme much in the stories though it more focussed on how civilization makes men weak.

That idea definitely originated with Howard, there's a fair few sections where the cruelty of so-called civilized men outstrips what a barbarian like Conan could think of. Plenty of his damsels are things like daughters of nobility that have been sold away to known monsters of men etc.

>romanticised nomadism vs decadent urbanisation
Well that certainly explains why Milius adapted Conan into a movie.

Probably because the last film bombed so hard it went back in time and fell on Hiroshima

Adult Conan cable series might work.

>fantasy mankino
I wish we had more of this. All modern fantasy movies are full of CG and they always look like some kids cartoony fantasy world.

I think there is a bit of this nostalgia with a lot of people who would want a simpler life.
On the other hand nobody wants to leave behind the comfort of civilization.
This also one theme which I really like in the whole conan franchise.

>television
I'd rather not have any Conan at all if it's come to this.

I unironically think that cgi was a big mistake.
It looks fake and cartoony.

>mfw my smallest and skinniest friend is called conan

Is he irish?

Whatever happened to Barry Windsor-Smith (the guy who did the classic Conan comics that the film was based on)? Why did he change his name from Barry Smith to Barry Windsor-Smith? Did he get married to a man? IIRC, before it got deleted his last blog update was from early 2008 and he mentioned that he was a cancer survivor. Maybe it came back and he died without it ever being publicized?

brazilian monkey, that makes it even worse

Never heard of the guy desu.

He hasn't published anything in the last 20 years. Despite being one of the most influential comics artists ever he has been largely forgotten aside from Weapon X.

I own half of this series and I like it quite a bit desu.
It has that old comic book style which I really like.
Many of the stories are also based on the stories of Howard.
I remember there being one about the tower of the elephant and the one with the daughter of ymir.

soyboys are moving the society towards pic related

american society that is

as long as social media is used for leverage, moral panic will stiffle every attempt at creative output. currently a counter-sexual revolution is taking place.

>Most people into fantasy now look to games anyway. Spending 1,000 hours in a universe you like beats 1 hour and 45 minutes of watching it.

Please go away.

old man conan starring arnie would be kino

Arnold is a mildew faggot that does not have it in himself anymore.

American society has never moved and never will.
It sways back and forth between conservative puritanism and liberal puritanism.
Either for fear of "the devil" or "rape culture", you must forever keep alive your most sacred fear of sex.

Your mental framework never shifts, only the words you describe it with.

You sound like a faggot real
Talk i bet you are a virgin too

This is not true, the rock culture of the 70s and new hollywood were sexually liberal. Every single person from that time would be villified today. It's a clear cultural shift.

I mean there have been some movies doing some impressive cgi but 90% of the time it does look like shit. I personally enjoyed the Warcraft movie even if the actual humans looked a bit out of place in it. I think it would've worked better had they gone full cgi with it. Sure Warcraft still isn't exactly mankino fantasy but it's a lot better than most of the fantasy movies we get nowadays.

>Why did he change his name from Barry Smith to Barry Windsor-Smith?
Some people make a compromise and take their spouse's last name and combine it with theirs. So his wife would probably be Windsor-Smith as well but was originally Windsor.

We do, just not in theatres. ASOIAF/Game of Thrones, even with the wonky seventh series, is the best fantasy franchise since Tolkien. Given its vast geographic scope it incorporates both straight mediaeval European fantasy in Westeros ,sword & sandal stuff in far Essos, and renaissance fantasy in the Free Cities.

They should make a low budget adaption of Red Nails.

Its basically The Raid/ Dredd of Conan stories. Problem is getting someone who looks like Conan and has some charisma.

not an argument

Why aren't we allowed to shoot these people on sight in a Trump era world?

It has been over 500 years since christianity has stopped concerning itself with paganism. Fuck off.

They should just hire Arnold's mestizo bastard.

Yea, a fantasy movie would never get heavily censored and butchered for it's anti-Chritisn themes today!

>Modern Conan movie
You know they would ruin it. He would have a female sidekick twice as powerful as him with most of the screentime.

Just look at how they turned The PUNISHER into a soyboy.

>fantasy in this current wave of green screen and shitty rubbery CGI over set design and practical effects and costumes

Fuck no. We're not getting LotR, we're getting the Hobbit.