Is acting a "real" job?

Is acting a "real" job?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ueH3ihTN4OI
femalefirst.co.uk/movies/charlie-hunnam-300975.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

well prostitution is so yeah

He never claims it's a "real" job. He just says it takes years to get good at the craft like other professions.

>You're making a movie but you have no experience? Fuck you, go get some experience
EPIC

It's a real job, it just isn't one that you should get millions of dollars for

there's an oversupply of potential actors.

just suck my dick and you got the job

He's talking about people who've never done community theater, short films, done any acting whatsoever, who want to start their career in one of the well known franchises we have at the moment.

acting takes barely any skill

youtube.com/watch?v=ueH3ihTN4OI

acting ain't the hardest thing in the world.
Guys like DDL are just try hard
You don't see an astronaut acting like he's in ISS when he's in his kitchen eating poptart

Why not hold auditions?

You gotta be an emotional piece of shit to be an actor.

If you were the kid who were constantly crying during school-breaks because other people teased you, you probably got a shot.

I wonder how much experience he had making big-budget Hollywood movies before Marvel took a chance on him with GotG.

you're dumb if you don't understand what he's saying.

we're quickly headed into a world where you can make hyper realistic digital characters and have them say lines that you've written down, no actors needed!

I cant wait for these obnoxious actors to finally go away. Artificial pop stars have already began appearing in japan, and soon artificial movie stars will too

This

Tell that to Gal Gadot, Daisy Ridley, Jennifer lawrence. You need either connections to Hollywood or being a jew or a skank or both. It has nothing to do with talent and experience. Fuck off James

Give me one more chance, James! Please!

>GAIVS
>IVLIVS
>CAESER

Considering the amount of actors who basically turned up to things, found out they were good and became super stars, i think he is talking bull shit.

it is not the same thing at all. he had worked in the industry for like 15 years, writing and directing. the movies weren't as big as GOTG but he had EXPERIENCE.

if you honestly are implying that an actor DESERVES to get a role in a Marvel flick just because he exists, is "an actor" without any kind of experience, then you're a clueless fucking moron.

It takes years to master the craft of giving hand jobs to movie producers?

FPBP

It really doesn't. It's all about nepotism and always will be.

theres skill to acting, but some actors get in on looks/ and uh.. whats the word, when you like pay and influence your way into a position

There's obviously auditions. Retards are simply filtered out beforehand.
It would be a massive waste of time to audition every person who wanted to act in hollywood

>there's an oversupply of potential actors.
sure is my man

Acting is 75% editing these days. You're really just looking for someone with screen presence and who knows how to conduct themselves on set

Well Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Jo didn't have connections as much as I know. They fucked Weinstein and other producers to get there. Nothing to do with skills, experience, hard work or even nepotism in this case.
James Gunn must be autistic, he doesn't understand these women telling him "just one chance" mean they are willing to suck his dick to get the job. He didn't get the hint.

>Seriously comparing playing pretend to those jobs
And they say Pedowood isn't rife with narcissists and egomaniacs. The Norks can nuke it.

TV/movie acting requires almost zero skill. Literally all that matters is that you find someone who looks the part. 99% of the finished product is in the edit

At least Ridley and JLaw went to acting school... right?

Yes, idiot. Look at the different kind of sex workers who stick around.

But a cook, code-monkey or blue collar worker would ask for a first chance, because in case they fail there is no risk of you going to jail, having a wrong tooth removed etc.
It's the worst parallel you could draw and the worst case scenario in this case is actually watching the final product from James Gunn.
Seriously, James, leave casting to those who know. That's what auditions and casting couches are for...

There are literally never open auditions for anything more than extras or community theaters.
>It would be a massive waste of time to audition every person who wanted to act in hollywood
And yet professional sports teams regularly hold open tryouts.

Acting is about "paying your dues" and everything that implies. Nothing more.

>faking emotions on screen
>as difficult as being a dentist,engineer or a lawyer

All people act in their lives while you actually need to work hard to become a dentist,engineer or a lawyer. The guy in a pic won a silver bear for best actor and he is a literal garbage man who never "worked on his acting craft". Everyone can act,if anything they can find a role explicitly demanding their type.

Some people are just naturally born actors. Werner Hezog hired Bruno Schleinstein, who had no prior acting skills. He ended up having amazing performances. Lynch has hired people who aren't actors, and has managed to get good performances out of them.

They did an open audition for Robin back in the day and gave it to Chris O'Donnell anyways

Is a thing people to do and get paid for so yeah it's a real job. It's a bit different from being a dentist or Lawyer though. A lot of actors are just naturally really fucking good or luck into a great role. Hell look at Christopher Reeves, guy was a total nobody who just turned out to be a good actor and perfect for Superman.

Many of Hollywood's biggest stars were given that "one chance", like Sylvester Stallone and Harrison Ford.

It makes sense that he would work with a guy like Chris Pratt then. That dude sucked the Hollywood dick for so many years getting typecast as douchebags and retards. He almost didn't get Moneyball, but he got into crazy good shape without even being offered the role, so they went with him. Pratt is one of the only people in Hollywood who's actually earned what came to him.

Every human being on this planet is an actor. Some are just better than others.

>At the age of 17, Hunnam was discovered in a shoe shop on Christmas Eve while drunkenly clowning around buying shoes for his brother.

He must have shown some serious skill there to be hired off the street to act in a tv show.

Even Ford had 8 movies prior to SW, and Stallone had 17 before Rocky.

>he promotes jenna fischer's new book on his tweets
is he /ourgunn/?

But Harry Ford had previous experience when he was offered the role in American Graffiti.
Sly also had acting experience, but the movie he made it big in wasn't a huge production, and he also wrote it, so he had leeway with United Artists

Interesting, considering that his first IMDB credit is from when he was 16.

>people saying people need to get experience acting in theater before they can make in in television/film
>but these retards don't realize that acting in theater is way different than film or television
Even celebrities that have experience in theater say that theater is very different.

Harrison Ford was a summer theater actor and became a carpenter only because finding good roles was nigh impossible. His one chance became after years of being an actor. Gunn is talking about people that have 0 experience.

He says his first acting job is Bykers Grove

femalefirst.co.uk/movies/charlie-hunnam-300975.html

>How did you get started?
>There was one TV show that goes on in Newcastle, called Byker Grove, and I got myself onto that when I was eighteen.

Acting is terribly difficult work. You try scrubbing Jew semen off of your tongue.

Was the guy who played the MC in avatar not a bricklayer before getting the part

You don't get it until you see a person who can't act do their 'job'. Case in point Gal Gadot.

have to have an actual job to pay the bills before your breakout role

It is if you get paid.

You guys don’t really know how much calculation goes into good actors performances. A combination of strong emotional intensity, storytelling choices, and lots of other technique shit goes into each scene, done under time constraints in less than ideal circumstances. You can always put some schmuck who cried in an audition once on camera, you’re right. And maybe he’d do ok with his one line, that’s fair. But to get into the big leagues it’s a whole other level.

T. Super low grade trying to get there actor man.

JIM JAM
I
M

J
A
M

These are myths perpetuated to make more interesting stories. There are almost ZERO big actors today that weren’t working at it for years. Taking classes, being in failed or unknown projects. Harrison Ford was a studio contract and did so bad they fired him before he got Star Wars years later.

There is no one actually in the industry that won’t say acting isn’t hard work.

All you gotta be is famous. Even directors with no acting experience can get cast.

What's the difference between a "real job" and a "fake job"? If you do something and get paid for it does that not make it a job? Obviously when people say real job they mean a respectable, secure job, but when you break it down it's just semantics.

Some great performances come from directors...but do you know why? Because it’s been their life’s work picking and holding good performances over bad ones. They know what to do some extent.

He was a bricklayer before getting into acting school. Had a pretty decent career already before Avatar.

Imagine being a hardworking actress getting rejected left and right and have to star in shitty productions for no pay and then seeing this jewess getting big roles for nothing.
But I would like to say that being an actor for the sole purpose of becoming rich and famous is a shitty reason.

In Kiss Kiss Bang Bang it's explained that they do it so the actor lowers his asking price.

The way he's putting his argument is kind of pointless because luck and getting a chance are huge parts of the job market right now. I'm looking for a job and even though I have more education than most going for entry level jobs, years of relevant volunteer experience, and even some paid experience, I've had several employers turn me down and say I have no experience because I've never been paid to do entry level work. And pretty much everyone else I know going into technical fields has run into the same kinds of problems. Because so many experienced people need to compete for entry level jobs, the bar for what "experience" is has gone up. To get started in any field with a real job basically requires someone to give you that once chance because (according to them), you have no experience.

That being said, good acting does take a lot more work and skill than most people realize. But it's nonsense to argue that success in acting isn't mostly the result of luck, or that luck doesn't help in any career.

>But to get into the big leagues it’s a whole other level.

so explain why the majority of actors in the "big leagues" are garbage who think facial expressions = acting?

>entry level job
>not lying on your resume

no wonder you can't get hired

A "fake" job is entertainment. Separate from a "real" job where one's skill is overwhelmingly determined by effort rather than natural ability. Practically no one is naturally a good lawyer, accountant, engineer, doctor, etc. You can have a knack for elements of it but by and large skill comes from training and experience.

That's not entirely true for entertainment. While every professional entertainer has worked "hard" at their craft, every single one of them is also vastly more naturally gifted at it than the average population, through no effort of their own.

could you memorize and perform something like hamlet? of course, that's real acting and not waiting around all day to do a few scenes and have a few sentences of dialogue in between snorting coke and fucking jlaw

Just ignore the dozens of models and random Internet fuckheads who star in movies despite no training or ostensible skill.
Hollywood is a popularity contest, not a place for crafting works of art. They'd cast a rotting dolphin corpse if they thought it would sell tickets.

>years of relevant volunteer experience
Just imagine being a cuck who willingly works for free because I can't.

>MR. GUNN, FIRST OF ALL I'M A HUGE FAN, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD PUT IN THE GOOD WORD TO GET ME A ROLE IN THE MCU EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T GO TO ACTING SCHOOL, HAVE NO CREDITS TO MY NAME, HAVE NO AGENT, HAVEN'T ACTUALLY TRIED TO GET AN AUDITION FOR ANYTHING, DON'T DO THEATER OR ANYTHING IN MY FREE TIME, AND HAVE NEVER EVEN DONE A SHITTY YOUTUBE SHORT FILM JUST TO HONE MY CRAFT
—some asshole rando in Trader Joe's

I bet you have a "real" job too.

>implying it isn't shatner

>>Acting takes skill
>>Has never seen the Last Airbender, Gigli, Kazaam, The Adventure of Pluto Nash, Battlefield Earth, Getaway (with Selena Gomez), The Master of Disguise, or any of the mock parody movies like Vampires Suck, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, Super Fast, etc.

Jesus what an uppity cunt

You act like Gadot was just lounging around and people crawled up to her feet begging her to star in their movies.

It takes talent to act, but not skill.

So because you have this experience from your field, you think you know 100% that what Gunn is saying here is wrong? C

No wonder you don't have a job.

Because even those actors are better at the dozen plates you have to spin than you think. There are exceptions, I’m not denying that. Think of it this way-movie and television sets are SO prohibitively expensive, sometimes you need to find someone who can do just adequate job performance wise, but almost more importantly, won’t fuck up the editing process with their performance. Like take Emilia Clark, she’s definitely good physical technique wise. She probably doesn’t screw up takes-she finds her marks, delivers her lines, and has good control over her points of focus. You may think she’s bad, and by my description so far you might think all of that means nothing, but it doesn’t. It’s not easy, I’m telling you as someone who does it-though I’ll admit it I’m not necessarily an authority.

But going back to Clark, she has storytelling and emotional handicaps. Perhaps the studio took a gamble on her that didn’t pay off exactly, I’d say yes to some degree, but it “works” as far as they’re concerned and that’s all there is to it.

>Comparing acting in a James Gunn movie to Hamlet

You don't get it until you see a person who can't act do their 'job'. Case in point Cara Delevingne.

Curious how pretty much all the actors and actresses that keep getting any work have went to acting school. And you think those random internet fuckheads have no talents, and just became huge by chance?

And those were all by professional actors.
Imagine how shit they would've been if they would've starred amateurs.

What field?

Isn't that what auditions are for, one chance?

And even she had 4 years of professional experience before Suicide Squad.

Yep, but I guess those people want to skip all that.

Acting out emotion is very difficult, and that's the most important thing a good actor or actress has to accomplish.

I'm often impressed by just how much control they have over their body.

Pratt, Saldana, and Bautista didn't even go to college you moron

You can't wink?

See

This.
Best post.

Are you jewish?

If not, are you sexy and willing to suck dick?

That's all it takes

>pretty much all
>pretty much
Reading comprehension, moron. Of course there are exceptions.

Yeah but those extra auditions are the stepping stone for the biggest role. You gotta start somewhere. Obviously lead parts are shortlisted.

Other way around involving blowjobs and anal

Why the fuck would I, an exec with my career possibly on the line, give the part to someone who only sucked my dick well? The dicksucking may be a bonus, but if that's all you got, you're going nowhere.

how little you know user