I thought I was over how shitty this movie was but We Hate Movies did an episode on it and hoo boy the flames of hatred...

I thought I was over how shitty this movie was but We Hate Movies did an episode on it and hoo boy the flames of hatred were lit once again. Did Shyamalan even watch the show? Everything about this film just felt awkward and lifeless. It might be the worst film I ever saw, even worse than Cat in the Hat and any other Shyamalan trainwreck.

Fuck Sup Forums, the original series was the only good thing to come out of Avatar:TLA

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=22897.msg2391414#msg2391414
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Did Shyamalan even watch the show?
Why would a successful grown man watch a cartoon?

I was just listening to this episode at work and boy did thinking about how every choice made was actively the wrong one pissed me off.

great taste in podcasts, user!
what other ones do you like??

shots fired

>successful
would a successful man make this movie?
Checkmate atheists

He was part of the commentary for the DVDs and claimed he was a fan of the show. Never listened to them.

>DISC MADE IN MEXICO
I tried to think of a good Trump joke, but failed, so I'll just leave this here.

ember island did a better job at representing the avatar

Fuck off retard

The show, perhaps, but the avatar?
>FLYING BALD LADY

Actually, yeah, pretty much any representation would be better than in that movie.

Shyamalan was allegedly a fan of the series, but I think he heavily overestimated his ability to condense the first season into a single film

>what other ones do you like??

I like a lot of Duckfeed podcasts including Bonfireside Chat and WOFF
I like a few Laser Time podcasts like Thirty Twenty Ten and Laser Time, also like Vidjagame Apocalypse but I'm taking a break from most current gaming podcasts because there's too much Breath Of The Wild talk
Only other movie podcast I like is Alcohollywood
I like Three Moves Ahead and Idle Weekend
occasionally listen to Giant Bomb/Beastcast

I tried to fix a few of the problems in that picture

That was the least of the movie's problems. I will say I preferred it so that firebenders needed actual fire to bend and not just shoot it out of their fists.

I read that the original script was over 8 hours long and that was by removing all the filler of the first season. Then that got cut down and cut down until we got a 2 hour version that had no filler at all and was completely lifeless and nothing was properly explained unless you watched the show

>any other Shyamalan trainwreck
Oh you clearly haven't watched The Happening.

cant wait for the sequel

(you)

>Pronounced the names wrong
>Doesn't understand how bending worked

No he didn't want the show and it's obvious
M.Night if you were actually successful you wouldn't be making shitty movies. You're so bad people actually laugh in theaters when your name pops up during a trailer.

something to do with hiring eathbenders to bend a wall or something figure it out from there

so much was wrong with this film. What bugged me the most was the mispronunciations and the actual bending. They would dance around for like 30 secs and nothing would happen. In the show the movements were all synced with the bending perfectly.

Re: ASN Veterans Unite! (share your classic ASN stories)
« Reply #141 on: Aug 05, 2014 12:21 pm »

Production wrapped 5 years ago so I don't think Paramount is going to care. They know it bombed.

What it came down to was M Night really was the only one who knew the show and what he was doing (the first draft of the screenplay? gorgeous. hence Bryke giving him the okay). The producers, who are actually in charge of at least 80% of production including casting.... not so much. They clearly never bothered to watch the show, nor had the ghostwriter who did the final screenplay.

Nicola was hired because she's the daughter of someone one of the producers owed a favor to as Hollywood loves its nepotism. (Her audition tape was subpar at best). In having to cast her they had to cast a guy who could pass as her brother - hence Jackson. His audition was actually pretty good. He's a funny guy and had clearly seen the show. Too bad the producers felt the movie didn't have time for intentional humor and cut all that out of the script. Noah was the only one who honestly openly auditioned and was chosen based on talent. He just needed extra help acting because with a lot of it being green screened he was talking to air a lot of the time. Experienced adults have a hard time doing that let alone a kid.

If you recall they initially signed on Jesse McCartney as Zuko. Why? Because otherwise the lead actor roster would be "starring: two unknown kids you never heard of and that guy who played a minor character in Twilight!". And then someone with a brain realized "wait a minute this show is kind of anime-esque and we're hiring a bunch of white kids. Um.". So what did they do? Because they couldn't can Nicola without someone being really ticked, Jesse willingly bowed out and went with another project offered at the time. Even still, they still needed a big name to draw people in but it couldn't be another white kid. Dev Patel just gave an Oscar-winning performance and was willing to sign on. And in getting him they had to make the rest of the Fire Nation match. Which is why it turned into heroic white kids VS evil brown people (which was intentionally unintentional).

And then it was horribly budgeted. The opening at the SWT all nice and pretty in Greenland? Cost big bucks. And then they realized with a story about people manipulating elements that couldn't be believably done with in camera practical effects. So they had to rebudget and gave most of the money to ILM for post production. You go from the beautiful SWT to everything looking dingy because everything else was shot in Pennsylvania. The Fire Nation Royal Palace? An old high school in Philadelphia. Parts of the Earth Kingdom (including Kyoshi Island which got cut)? Reading, PA. And everything that was the NWT.... some sets built in front of giant green screens in an old emptied aircraft hangar in the outskirts of Philadelphia. Yeah.

he watched the show with his kids. That was before he was hired to direct the film. Dunno what happened then.

I never seriously watched the cartoon before I saw the film on dvd, but it tugged at enough heartstrings for me to go binge the whole series. So I guess that's the one good thing the film got me to do.

And ILM was rushed despite most of the movie's look being left up to them. And you had novice directors hired by producers to oversee that process. That's how come the pebble dance happened. Sadly at that point M Night was just tired of arguing with the overheads, gave up, and collected his paycheck. If you look at the movie's premiere and red carpet footage you can tell his excitement and happiness is fake. Bryke had little say in the film despite being listed as executive producers. That title was a fancy way of saying that they created the show it was based on and they're still alive so they need some kind of nice credit. The actual producers didn't know what they were dealing with and were only interested in a quick buck. Bryke and M Night gave up on the film around the same time for same reasons. The other people working on the film were a pain to deal with and Nickelodeon themselves only wanted the final product as quickly as possible and the money it would presumably make them.

At least they hired good caterers. The food was great on that set.

forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=22897.msg2391414#msg2391414

this was never confirmed to be true.

To be fair, that definitely seems like how bending should work. You gotta put in the full cheatcode.

Sure it looks better when it's synced up, but then you get shit like Korra where everyone can just bend like a superpower and they don't even have to know the movements.

Bryke seemed pretty ecstatic that he was directing. Oh if only they knew what would happen...

couldnt they just use some make up or something like with jack sparrow?

well in korra there was probably far more people who where able to take the time to teach bending to young people until they get older instead of just teaching soldiers how to bend and getting killed by the fire nation

Even though his last few movies were shit, he was still a well known and previously great director. This was such an easy sell since the story is already there and the fanbase was ready to eat it up. The tricky part is translating the content to the screen. And this was when Harry Potter was getting ready to finish up so there was already a proven method right there.

>dude they cast white people so its a bad movie
lmao ok

There were so many other things wrong with the movie besides that alone, which make it a bad movie, you stupid degenerate. I assume you're baiting though because I refuse to believe that anyone in their right mind liked this movie.

You do know you can bend without the movements right

> Pacing
> dialogue
> acting
> writing
> special effects

They could've had a perfectly correct ethic and it still would've been a shitty movie

Which is retarded. Considering all that effort they put into explaining how people learned to bend by copying the movements of dragons/moles/bison and how there's scrolls that show you how to move in order to bend.

>Fuck Sup Forums, the original series was the only good thing to come out of Avatar:TLA

Uh. No. Korra was far more entertraining and had much better story telling and pacing. Season 2 - 4 of Korra were the best cartoons to have ever aired on TV

Something about Ba Sing Ze, perhaps?.

Fuck you, why am i helping you with this shit, i'm mexican.

>Did Shyamalan even watch the show?

No. But he knows about it because his kids loved it. Look it up.

They learned the bending style from them they didn't give the bending to them when was that ever said

Nor was it ever rebutted.

kek
It's one thing that they chose white actors and actresses, but they just had to be ridiculously bad white actors and actresss too. Edgy constipated SOAK-a makes me laugh so hard

it' was a bad fim

Anyone have the earthbending pebble scene?

Someone post the rock.