Defend this

Defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mVI-xVWZf3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do you want defended? Content? Art? This is one of the first Garfield strips from 1976. Much like early Simpsons and others, they hadn't evolved to a more sleek and refined look.

Have you lost your pipe, OP?

It was made in 1472, cut him some slack.

>Give Jon the pipe.
>Scare him into dropping it onto the newspaper.
>Then give it back to Garfield.

>Make a serious comic portraying the inadvertent dangers of a pet's curiosity and the implied development of lung cancer Garfield contracts as a result of his blunt carelessness towards Jon
>Meme man makes a meme video about it
>Nobody takes the strip seriously anymore and they only use it to shitpost everyday whie acting like "the sophisticated man", further tarnishing the message
Being Davis is suffering

Punchline is in the next strip.

This.

I still don't get it

Jon took his pipe back but he realized that Garfield had it in his mouth. You don't want to put something in your mouth that a cat had in it's mouth.

It's hilarious? What do you want defended? Garfield is a fucking G.

I legit like Garfield.

YOU'VE BEEN BLIND THE WHOLE TIME
THE CAT HAS YOUR PIPE

There is no pipe. There's no Garfield. It's all in Arbuckle's imagination.

That is true, but what was he really trying to convey?

HMHMHMHM
I WOndnder
Cuolfdd htere PoSSib
ly be a Deepper MEANING???!?!!?

>lol weed lmao xD

See it's funny because normally a car wouldn't smoke a pipe. You don't get that with real life cats

MaAybe

It's art, you see.

That is not a cat smoking a pipe.

Male infertility.

It's fucking hilarious

Fuck yeah I would

SMOKING MY PIPE AS USUAL

i gotta have a good smoke

Now where could my pipe-wrench be?

It is perfectly justifiable. Garfield has asserted his power over the pipe, thus making it his legitimate property. It is no longer Jon's pipe.

It represents the cycle of life, the start and end of every human. In the first panel, Jon, representing the father, yanks his Pipe, which is the essence of life, from Garfield. This is the start of life. He starts putting the pipe in his mouth but hestitates, as like something is wrong. He then proceeds to look directly at the viewer, contemplating, or maybe thinking about something we SHOULD know, but we don't. With his half-closed eyes he implies his discontent, but at the same time his lack of surprise. As if this is not the first time he encountered this bizzare moment. While the transition to the final panel is not explicit, Jim Davis leaves the viewer, us, to interpret how Garfield takes The Pipe back. Perhaps Jon gives it back voluntarily, or maybe Garfield steals it while Jon is sitting in his chair, reading the newspaper, unaware of the tragedy that is about to occur. Finally, the strike of Jim's genius is truly shown here, as the final panel transitions into the first again, continuing the never ending cycle of The Pipe and the orange cat. Bravo Davis.

Your analysis, while certainly noble and well-thought, could not be further from the truth. Now, notice Jon as he blindly grasps for what we soon come to learn is his own pipe. A pipe that, we can assume, Jon has purchased for his own use, presumably using his own money that has been well-earned through his own labor. The nature of this labor is left intentionally vague here; in this strip, Jon clearly represents the everyman, the nature of his work being not so important as the mere fact that he does indeed work, and that through that work he has earned a lifestyle that, while not particularly extravagant, is not devoid of such small, humble pleasures as the simple tobacco pipe. However, as Jon (and, subsequently, the reader) is quick to notice, his pipe is nowhere to be found. The strip's final panel reveals to us the culprit of this crime that at first may seem trivial but, under closer scrutiny, reveals a most heinous and reprehensible underbelly beneath the seemingly innocuous surface narrative. The villain here is none other than Garfield, whose appearance as a fat cat draws the reader to only one conclusion. Garfield, here, is a representation of the bourgeoisie, having now taken tax (the theft of the pipe) from Jon, who is not only a symbol for the working class, but is also evidently Garfield's owner. As such, Jon could be said to be the sole purveyor of Garfield's livelihood, the proletariat being the only force allowing for the existence of this upper class of ungrateful fat cats that so arrogantly seize the earnings of their poor working class.

Ah, but the story only goes deeper from there! Notice the newspaper, prevalent throughout the first two panels. This is no mere prop. Consider the strip here to the left. Many have wrongfully assumed that Davis is speaking directly to the reader his dissatisfaction with the common, paper-reading citizen's preference for pretention versus true knowledge. However, as it is now clear, knowing what Garfield represents, these words are not Davis' own, but of the bourgeoisie itself. This is the goal of those in power: to keep the working class in a state of uninformed superficiality. Garfield's theft of the pipe, the theft of the honest man's dollar, isn't just for his own immediate pleasure, but rather for a greater scheme. For in so doing, he has interrupted Jon in his quest for knowledge, forced him to fight a losing battle for that which rightfully belongs to him, lest he increase his working hours to continue to make ends meet. In either case, Jon will no longer have those precious hours he would like to dedicate to his pursuit of higher knowledge, and thus must become the unenlightened slave to Garfield's machinations.

On some primal level, Jon seems to understand his place in Garfield's corrupted world, as well as understand his own inability to escape it. As such, he can only call out Garfield's name in protest, yet with the abrupt ending of the comic, it can only be assumed that these protests are in vain.

Truly, Jim Davis is a master not only of his medium, but of political philosophy and symbolism. May his voice continue to be heard despite these injustices we if the proletariat must endure.

..B
..R
DAVIS
..V
..O

youtube.com/watch?v=mVI-xVWZf3k
0:51
did odie get BLACKED?

No.
He go BAGGED

This is obviously a piece about the struggle of man against nature. Since the first man stumbled from the cracks in the earth he spawned from, he came upon a pipe, and with this pipe, came knowledge of fire. Fire is a powerful force for man, when used properly, so you can only imagine that for many many years all the animals and birds and other critters were trying to puzzle out a way to overcome this deadly tool of man. The pipe was key. The all important pipe. But those days of struggle against man and nature, are often less visceral now. A man mowing his lawn doesn't experience the same fear and dread that a neanderthal desperately clawing his way through the brush to escape an attacker does. We see this in Jon's relaxed position in the first panel. Jon does not have these survival instincts, fight or flight is not a common decision for Jon to make. You can read his confusion here, he fumbles for the pipe, pawing at the table in a scrambling effort for his pipe, only to find it is gone. Jon thinks on this a while, he meditates, he does not act out in fear and desperation, he merely ponders and then reacts with a furious roar. But this is a roar of impotence, friends, no more threatening than the lowing of a cow on the cusp of birth.

Technically you could with a 3D Printer

I should add in fact, that this strip shows that as the humans slow down and adapt a more sedentary lifestyle, the animal kingdom only thrives and continues to adapt to the new situations presented. Once, animals could not even conceive of the pipe, and the flame, and yet now Garfield has mastered it. He sits, haunches relaxed and enjoys the gentle smoke of the pipe, 'I am the man now, and he is the pet" his posture practically bellows right in Jon's unthinkable face.

That just makes things more confusing.

Welp this is weird but i have the feeling that if you change garfield for calvin in that pic, i could take the post seriously

But something about garfield just screams shitpost even inf that strip is alright

Its because garfield employs a lot of copy and paste shenanigans that makes it look cheap, even if its written well.

the music playing in those commercials was used without permission.

>Never molested children
>Molested only 1 child

Like pottery