Have you ever stopped to think that batman is ACTUALLY the kind of person that if he killed a criminal he himself would...

Have you ever stopped to think that batman is ACTUALLY the kind of person that if he killed a criminal he himself would never be able to go back to not killing people? Which is why he holds on to no killing so hard.

I can accept his no-killing credo, but there were a shitload of events where he could just let a villain die, but instead he goes full-retard-heroic-rescue-mission because of reasonos.

Honestly that justification always felt wafer thin.

Just because he plugged Joker for nuking seventeen orphanages, doesn't mean he's going to snap Riddler's neck for doing some stupid city-wide crossword bullshit.

tell that to poor anatoli, the poor Russian diplomat has been murdered by this bat freak twice now.

Didn't he once bring Joker back to life after he was "wrongfully" sentenced to death?

Realistically he is the main character so they wouldn't make him unlikable to go on such a rampage, but Batman himself doesn't know that so I think it works as an in-universe characterization flaw. It's ok to get anxious about your own actions. But also they shouldn't write too many stories dwelling on it because it feels dumber.

I think you hit the nail on the head user

but perhaps couldn't more depth be given to the character psychologically to tie him into his mythos more by also have him be one of the "crazies" that he is always fighting? Which is the repressed everything that has built up from the enviormental causes that happened to batman by happenstance?

which ties back to batman being an extreme intellect a being who in order to make sense of the irrational world he lives in psychologically manifests itself in him being this hyper good vigilante

If you kill someone that killed 10000 why not kill the one that killed 9000?

Why stop at the guy that killed 8000?

Why not take care of the president of united states? he kills more people than most supercriminals. The whole concept is simple: Some Capes have the power to take over the world, if they are willing to kill one guy over the number of deaths they produced using the logic that in that way they will avoid more deads why don't they just take over the world? why not attack Israel or Saudi Arabia? Why not completly destroy the weapon factories in murrika.

> Which is why he holds on to no killing so hard.

Bullshit, he had a FATHER that was a doctor, his family has a catholic background and he studied in a catholic school, he lived and was educated by eastern monks, and his biggest trauma involves death, everything about the character screams that for him life is sacred. Fuck off.

The no killing rule is dumb and we all know it's only there for money related reasons (not killing fan favorite bad guys etc...)

/thread

But he should kill luthor right?

why are you forgetting to see the character as a human being? He is a human being

a rational mind

struggling to deal with an irrational world around him. The irrational world that put batman on edge of psychological stability was the death of his parents. Now he is constantly surrounded by rational minds turned crazed by the irrational world. Jokers one bad day is joker saying he realizes who batman is because joker is an intellect on his level and can see it in batman he is fighting the reality that he can't see because of his own blind spots as a human that only exist because batman has gone so far to eliminate anyone from being able to touch his inner mind which in itself is just a reverberation of the irrationality of the world striking a very intelligent rational mind at a very young age. As a result of this batman is on the tipping point which joker knows directly which he thens constantly tries to push him just enough that he loses base with human normal reality.

by killing

by making batman want to kill the joker so much which joker is fine with because he knows joker wont die batman will just become the joker after that.

which is only possible because batman wont let go of his parents death. Even though he is a genius he cannot reach the state of the monks he trained with because it is his motivation he holds onto wrongly thinking that that is his motivation when the psychological damage sustained from it is what makes him have this blind spot in the first place.

Luthor is an asshole, but if you can trick him into thinking what he does will spite Superman you can get some good out of him.

>He is a human being

Yes and killing the joker doesnt makes sense if you don't kill luthor too or you try to stop the wars for proffit.

He will still kill more people at the end of the night and he will not cure cancer. And if he can sell humanity te bo on top he will.

>a rational mind

Batman is anything but rational, logical yes but he's as troubled and irrational as his gallery of rogues.

He isnt. Being batman is mad, but in his universe it's not.

I feel like there would be a point though y'know? I mean would killing Joker really be that bad enough for Bruce to go batshit crazy?

>why are you forgetting to see the character as a human being? He is a human being
Yes, and most people don't find killing to be "not a big thing". Those that have that view are sociopaths.

>I feel like there would be a point though y'know? I mean would killing Joker really be that bad enough for Bruce to go batshit crazy?

But he has never said he would go crazy just that he wouldnt stop there for fucks sake.

We had a comic about that. Batman killed the joker and continued doing it until he killed all the supervillians in the planet

He almost got tricked into curing cancer until Darkseid War interrupted

>He almost got tricked into curing cancer until Darkseid War interrupted

No, he wouldnt had never done it. He would try, and then weaponize it before it's a cure. Also let's ignore Johns terrible shit so OP's shitty thread doesnt derail.

>Bullshit, he had a FATHER that was a doctor, his family has a catholic background and he studied in a catholic school, he lived and was educated by eastern monks, and his biggest trauma involves death, everything about the character screams that for him life is sacred. Fuck off.

This. People hate this reasoning because it isn't edgy, but it's makes a hell of a lot more sense than "IT'LL MAKE HIM MORE EDGY".

>trick sex luthor
Too bad he's a 12th level intellect that could utter a word forcing you to kill yourself.

No. Those're two separate stories - one where Joker was finally given the death sentence (he had been framed for a poisoned postal stamp scheme, which was technically a federal crime), but Batman did prove him innocent, yes - but only because they can only execute someone for the crime ONCE. He didn't prove the Joker innocent so much as he proved the REAL killers were guilty, and so they got the chair instead.

The other time was in an LoTDK story (so it, as with all LoTDKs, is of questionable canonicity, esp. three universal reboots later) where Bats needed the Joker alive to stop Ra's world-ending scheme for reasons I don't remember exactly, but as you can see, it wasn't the "BATMAN LUVS TEH JOKUR" meme you see pushed by faggots who get their opinions on comics from third-hand articles.

see

This. Bruce Wayne made a pretty fucking ironclad decision when he was young to grow up to be like his dad, and not like Joe Chill.

That post has nothing to do with anything. He could still kill one-off characters and simply write outs for the popular ones.

>That post has nothing to do with anything.
wrong
The Joker has killed many, many people. Batman not killing him is simply for sales.

OP didn't ask about the Joker specifically, just Batman killing in general.

So?

>ass-shot from Luthor
Why?

So directing everyone to a post about a specific instance (fan favorite villains) helps no one

Not really, user, because that logic would still apply even if he DID kill the Joker. There'd STILL be a huge demand for Joker stories. There will ALWAYS be.

Do you honestly think if Batman killed the Joker, it would be anything other than a stunt to drive up sales and then they inevitably do an entire event centered around his resurrection? Because that's what would happen. Now I do wish the Joker would get more "nobody could survive that" endings like he did in the DCAU, where he plummets to certain doom but they never find the body, so he inevitably resurfaces. But killing him off would be futile cuz, as you noted, love dem Jokerbucks.

Every portion of our favorite Capes has been molded for money in the end but that doesn't mean you can't make a good story out of it. What you're on is a good way to tell a story, it's that nice medium between bat-shit crazy batman and not unstable Batman. It puts him in a cool role of being smart enough to see his flaws but not motivated enough to care about his health. You can really bend that rule too for drama's sake and that makes for cheap drama.

I believe it for Batman; it feels like bullshit for other characters but Bruce seems like the kind of guy who recognizes that he's an unhinged asshole who'd enjoy killing.

>Now I do wish the Joker would get more "nobody could survive that" endings like he did in the DCAU

He does that all the fucking time.

When he says this, it doesn't mean "I wouldn't be able to control myself!".

It means that if you can justify killing one time, you can do it again.

The Joker has killed hundreds, therefore killing him will save hundreds, right?
But with that logic, every killer you don't kill makes you responsible for any future murders.

So what Batman is saying is that if he kills the Joker, it's starting himself down a slippery slope. Penguin has killed a lot of people too, so by the logic I used to justify killing the Joker, I'd be irresponsible by not killing him too. Here's a new villain as crazy as the Joker was, if I don't kill him now am I responsible for all the people he may later kill?

That kind of thing can only end with Batman executing everyone with a murder charge. It's doubtless that murders would go down then, right? So the current murder rate is Batman's fault for not enforcing such a ruthless policy?

There has to be a point where your responsibility ends, and for Batman, he drew the line at killing.

Batman ending up creating a police state like that is a much more likely scenario than Superman going bananas after killing the Joker, so I'm surprised there aren't any stories about it.

Not all the time...

I guess because of suspension of disbelief if batman was the guy to go dictator then supes flys in picks him up and takes him to jail

the end

of course 10 minutes of haha! didn't expect kryptonite! shenanigans

Batman's no killing rule is fine, It's reasonable.
But what the hell is the government doing not handing out a death sentence to his more heinous villains? Putting criminals to death is their responsibility, not Batman's, so why aren't they doing anything?

The problem there is that they usually break out of jail before they can be sentenced. Or even after it really.

OOOOH do i win "spot the Sup Forumsfag?"

Nobody cares about the fucking video games you grade A dickwaffle

Neither video games OR cartoons are primary sources for a comic character m8.

Is it really such a foreign concept to you """people""" that someone doesn't want to kill anyone?

>Batman ending up creating a police state like that is a much more likely scenario than Superman going bananas after killing the Joker, so I'm surprised there aren't any stories about it.
There are.

Back in countdown in earth 51 he did that.

He killed the joker, but couldnt justify only jilling the joker in a world with so many other terrible villians and ended up killing all vilians making all the heroes of that earth lazy and retired losers.

Then that earth was attacked, but the local heroes had no chance of fight back since they were no heroic at all and well, monarch was a beast

I find it funny that DC made it abundantly clear between 52 and Flashpoint that, in all universes where they solved all crime, it was because Batman killed his villains and convinced other heroes to do that with their worst foes.

Batman literally created an "orwellian" police state in kingdom come.....

That's true, but it also works in line for Batman's character. You don't have to like it. Batman, Superman, Flash, Spider-Man and Daredevil are heroes that shouldn't kill. It's really that simple. The rest are fair game.