Steven Universe

Let's talk about SU.
Fans, people who dislike it, and people who dislike it for the keks are welcome to join in on this conversation.

I've probably been watching it since the first episode was released, and honestly? I'm not too into it anymore. The idea behind the show and some of the characters was pretty interesting but it all seemed to go down hill. At this point, I've probably skipped more episodes than I've watched, and the writing is just kind of shit.
Push a character too far because you're bad at writing?
>Reset bottom
Make a character do something unforgivable but still want fans to continue loving them?
>Blame it on another character/act like nothing happened

I guess the fans are either too stupid to realise how much Lapis fucked up and how little Peridot adds, or they just ignore it because they like their 'personalities' which they have little to none of. And while I'm at it, Pearl is pretty fucking shit too. The only character I give a shit about is Steven and some fans just completely hate him.
I swear, I feel like I'm losing braincells listening to these vapid cunts who think SU is the best show on tv right now but somehow hate the actual main character because "OH SHIT IT'S A DUDE!"

But I guess that's what I get for finding anything even slightly good in a show made for Tumblrcucks. I swear I've fallen into the same hole over and over again with shows like Adventure Time. It has even happened with games. I guess we always need lesbians, because a character doesn't need to have a personality if they're a fucking lesbian!

What are your thoughts on SU, Sup Forums?
There's no need to get pissy. These are just my thoughts and opinions, not gospel. If you have a fondness for the show or for characters I don't like, I won't to stand in the way of that.
You can like what you like, and I can hate and find disgust in something I dislike.

>TL;DR?
SU is an okay show. I just hate most of the characters, the story, and the fandom.

I personally only watch it to see what happens to Steven.

Can we talk about the fucked-up history that should have occurred?

I wonder if it counts as stalking if it's against a cartoon show?

Only the first season has episodes that could even qualify as being funny.
The plot episodes past season 1 are the only ones worth watching, everything else is boring.
There's no driving force in the plot for a large majority of episodes. And noticeably, plot forces like the Cluster and Jasper were taken care of with minimal effort and episode investment.
The show has a problem with telling rather than showing. It relies on things like the characters breaking down in tears to let you know a situation is sad. It becomes very noticeable very quickly and feels ham-fisted.
The world building is laughable, Beach City basically exists within a vacuum, and the world building potential of Gem Society is ignored.

explain me what characters had the reset button.
>Make a character do something unforgivable but still want fans to continue loving them?
>Blame it on another character/act like nothing happened
what?
>I guess the fans are either too stupid to realise how much Lapis fucked up and how little Peridot adds, or they just ignore it because they like their 'personalities' which they have little to none of.
i love peridot.lapis can go fuck herself.
>But I guess that's what I get for finding anything even slightly good in a show made for Tumblrcucks
this meme again
i love SU and its my favorite animated show right now.season 4 is weak,no doubt about that,and the last 3 episodes have indeed been shit.but i still love it

Season 1 will never be topped.

Why did they drop monster of the week episodes?

Can I say I'm fucking tired of these threads?
We get it, you don't like this cartoon because it's gay/it's Tumblr/because everybody else likes it and it's not Citizen Kane. Fine, but cease this cancer.

Because character development was more urgent. They'll probably pick it back up when they Steven figures out the cure for corruption.

>Everybody else likes it and it's not Citizen Kane. Fine, but cease this cancer.

Methinks it's not fine. Someone feeling salty, user?

>SU will never reach S1 levels again
Man what the FUCK happen
Legit dropped the show after Bismuth

This user just reminded me about how badly they did Bismuth. If Steven is supposed to be the fix all to Roses faults, why did he just make the same mistake that Bismuth did. Why didn't they just give her an intervention type thing, why didn't bring her back after Lapis and Peridot moved in and showed her that homworld gems could be made into good people. WHY NOT JUST DESTROY THE BREAKING POINT

No, user. I'm sure you are completely genuine in your random bashing of this one particular show that everybody else on Sup Forums likes to shit on for autistic political reasons.

It's Sup Forums. Of fucking course they'll shit on something that so many autists like.
I, however, am not just doing it for the keks. As I said, it's an opinion. You don't need to agree with it.

>I feel like I'm losing braincells listening to these vapid cunts who think SU is the best show on tv right now
are you really talking to people in real life about this show?? what the fuck is wrong with you?

>Because character development was more urgent.
If this were true then Season 4 wouldn't have had so many blatantly pointless townie episodes that either retread old plots or didn't develop characters at all. It seems like they forgot about mission and monster of the week episodes for some reason, because a lot of episodes this season would have been far more entertaining if they were replaced by those.

The show is shit and you're a faggot for making a SU thread outside your general.

this show just isn't good

Honestly I've tried watching it, I watched the entire first season and I just didn't like it. I liked Greg and Garnet but not really much of anyone else. I didn't really enjoy the humor or story. I don't think it's bad just not for me.

>I skip more episodes then I watch
>the writing is shit
Maybe the writing is shit because you miss over half of what is going on?

I mean who actually starts criticism like this, that's like calling the Harry Potter books shit and then saying you only read the odd numbered books and skipped the even ones

there are serious points to talk about but your argument loses all weight if you admit you didn't actually watch the show

Season 4 is... baddish. Believe in Sucrose and endure it.

If it makes you feel better. Garnet only gets worse as the series progresses and you're not missing anything of value by not watching the rest of the show

Is this a meta thread?

i still ..like the series for the most part but I am growing tired of the townie stuff.. it just feels like the show is ignoring a big dimension of itself, i want them to weave those halves into one another more instead of it seeming like two different shows (a slice of life one and an adventure, lore-y one)
what I hOPE will come and has been hinted at is an age jump for Steven, in the vein of dragon ball/ naruto/ etc, it totally fits thematically and we can leave the innocent beach city meandering behind (for the most part) to get more serious more often

Because she'd make another one...?

>Seriously thinking Steven Universe is good enough for every episode to be worth watching

>Only the first season has episodes that could even qualify as being funny.
The baseball episode was funny, but that's the only real exception I can think of.

It wasn't about the breaking point, it was about the methods Bismuth wanted to employ.

Still, he could have just let her back out when the Crystal Gems were around so they could all just talk about this shit, but it was the one time the show didn't feel like making the characters talk about their feelings.

Right.

Yeah, everyone seems to hoping that this is just a temporary dip, and that things will pick up for the season finale and season 5 overall. Hope they're right.

this.
they have a spaceship now, im sure they gonna do space travels constantly, at some point.

>thinks Ruby isn't about to steal that spaceship and come back with a full invasion force

One could argue that Steven already has stuff to think about and needs to be ready before trying to calm down a crazed extremist who can shatter solid rock with a punch. At least in universe, the real explanation is that the writers need to buy time.

>We get it, you don't like this cartoon because it's gay/it's Tumblr/because everybody else likes it and it's not Citizen Kane. Fine, but cease this cancer.
So you're alright with fanwank thread after fanwank thread, but not with thread about what's wrong with the show?
Please put up a list of topics you find appropriate for which fandoms so we can know how best to suit the thread to your likes and desire.

You know what I hated about Bismuth? Steven's lie about homeworld constantly attacking them. Homeworld only really "attacked" once, and he ended up befriending half of the attack force.

Bismuth's entire motivation in that episode stemmed from that one line, because she was under the impression that homeworld had been constantly attacking them for the last 5000 years.

These threads (ok, not THIS ONE, op said it was a genuine critical thread) are not real critic, it's just hate circlejerk that mostly focus on the show being "Tumblr". As for the general, I don't see the problem with it. It's literally one thread as opposed to one to three hate threads that are up anytime, and when the show isn't airing it's forced back to /trash/.

>What is the red eye on first episode
>What is the fuckton of sphere robots

you're the only one who has brought up tumblr, kiddo

>sentry
>repair drones

quite the invasion that has lasted 500 years.

>Constantly
>Two fucking things out of the entire show that used to be monster of the week
>One of which was a recon device
>Other was small spider bots used to fix things
Truely Homeworld knows no mercy.

Jet looks like Hanzo

>But I guess that's what I get for finding anything even slightly good in a show made for Tumblrcucks. I swear I've fallen into the same hole over and over again with shows like Adventure Time. It has even happened with games. I guess we always need lesbians, because a character doesn't need to have a personality if they're a fucking lesbian!

didn't read the OP right

Just don't call him Scor......you know.

I was with you until Pearl. She's the most well-developed character in the show mate.

The thing is many of the glaring issues with the show stem from Tumblr mentalities. Not even talking social justice here. Two characters were pretty much ruined because one of the storyboarders wanted to push her ship. It didn't matter if they acted out of character to achieve this. There was an entire episode devoted to exploring the leather jacket pearl fandom meme. A few of the writers the primary offender thankfully leaving the show, only like 4 more episodes to go guys! don't understand that fan shit is fun because it isn't canon and incorporating it into canon is awkward and spoils the fun of both.

Hell the entire character of Lapis gets spoiled even outside of the shipping nonsense because being awful to everyone around you is OK when you're depressed and everyone has to deal with it. For the record: What she's saying here is fine by itself but is outright terrible when applied to Lapis' actions. When applied to Lapis it becomes a lot less about accepting your friends for who they are and being patient and loving and a lot more about 'you aren't allowed to ask your mentally ill friend to stop treating you like dirt'. It also makes depression into making 'I wana kil myself lol' jokes such as the thanks giving episode. Another very tumblr way to write depression.

If we're allowed to include the tumblr-social justice stuff in the criticism it piles more and more options on. Saying the criticism isn't valid because it describes the issue in the most concise and descriptive way possible is dumb.

And I like the show.

This is almost exactly how I feel lately, with this Being a perfect description of where the show's at right now, and has been for a while.

Has anyone else noticed how much tinier Steven's gotten? I feel like before he was only sorta small.

Not sure what the animators are thinking, but he looks tinier than everyone else now. They changed Amethyst in some of the newest episodes, and I feel like she's towering over Steven.

In one of the most recent episodes, Stephen is home alone, and making himself food. And they make a point of making him push around a step stool just to reach the counter. His proportions feel a little off to me, too...

>Why did they drop monster of the week episodes?
Because every knows that a series that is nothing but monster of the week gets old fast. Think before you speak next time you might be able to answer your own question.

too bad Steven universe did monster episodes far better than it does everything else. this show has become fucking garbage.

>This show was really good at one point but then it became shit.
Keep telling yourself that buddy it might become reality for more people some day if you try really hard and shit post even harder all your dreams will come try.

Would you rather me say that it was always shit?

Or do you seriously believe that the show has become better over time?