How's Your Webcomic? #353

You've got a webcomic, right? Post about it here. Share WIPs, pages, drawings, scripts, whatever. Get comments and critique.

Activity: How did you come up with your characters? Who were the people/characters/archetypes that inspired them? Share early designs/ideas for your character.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
gothgrillz.tumblr.com/
vidyadeparted.tumblr.com/characters
imgur.com/a/SpTpx
imgur.com/a/LBnXs
i.imgur.com/yZjc7sp.png
wilfredacomic.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=fVftXmopJt4
youtube.com/watch?v=DmmIqgpSAqw
tapastic.com/series/Urchin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

And previous thread

FUCK YEAH I think I've finally nailed the beginning of the comic script down

who knew tourists would be the answer?

sounds good to me. a lot of good stories start with an outsider who's interested in learning what's going on

Page 1/2
Trying to get a lot of character interaction in before I start doing anything serious with this first chapter, and I have a lot of characters to interact before I can start.

Page 2/2

So I launched my site yesterday and showed the first panels on the last thread. One of the comments I got was that the design on one of my characters looked weird.

This pic I think shows what I intend for her to look like a bit better. As a note, she's supposed to be freakishly proportioned as it's plot-centric. I don't intend for her to look unbearably ugly, so if that's still a problem, then that's something I'll just have to work on.

My first batch of queues are probably going to remain a bit janky in the art-side of things, but hopefully the story is enough to make up for that for the time being.

hey everybody, I just finished a brand new page, I hope yall like it

please let me know if im being racist on the bottom panel, i honestly here jews talking like this all the time so its fine....

ok ive never met a jew in real life, but ive seen them on tv and in movies and stuff so its cool :^)

hear*

I really love ur page

The guy in the forefront is the protagonist, a gnome space explorer who crash lands on a fantasy planet on the eve of the industrial revolution. Shot down by an unknown assailant, he must repair his ship and escape the backwater hell hole that covets his laser pistol and advanced gadgets. Will he finally leave the world of strife and misery, or will he find his place within it and stay?

The robot in the middle is actually the severed yet conscious head of an ancient gnome scientist, and has only recently activated himself in response to meeting a gnome for the first time since he got depressed and turned himself off. The protagonist is not as versed in ancient philosophy and archaic coding as the robot is, unfortunately.

The guy in the hood is a dwarf gunslinger monk who finds the protagonist's knack for getting into danger rather convenient, being that he finds serenity and enlightenment through death and violence. He wears a gas mask because dwarves, on this planet, are vulnerable to surface diseases, due to generations of living inside air-tight vaults beneath the earth.

I don't have names for characters, or a name for the comic, but it's designed to act as a "proof of concept" for an RPG I want to make. If I can commit to this story and it proves popular enough I might then move on to expanding its world through independent game development. Granted, it's a little ambitious on my part, but I know where I'm starting and what sort of stories I want to tell.

was literally just reading this from bookmark
getting a total no-face vibe here. I'm loving the alienness of this guy but since it's a game with customizable characters they don't yet know.. what i assume the audience will eventually find out

Hey guys can you help me choose a font?
I think this one is ok for narrator stuff or whatever but I'm not sure about character's font. It's not gonna be a super serious comic but I don't think most usual fonts for comics fit the genre I'm striving for.

Any suggestions?

much better quality art now. still very, very ugly. I feel like maybe you're focusing too hard on anatomy and musculature and missing the forest for the trees. There's a very odd juxtaposition between realistic body parts in these incredibly stunted proportions.. so if there's a plot reason for odd proportioning, I guess that's the result you were going for. but in the meantime it's like.. wow those are heavily detailed and highly masculine human feet but with claws on them... not paws or something. and that is a big round flat nose, but no split lip kitty mouth.. and there is a huge bulge between her brows like this chick I know, and all this extra detailing around her eyelids. I dunno mate. Can you show us the other sister again for comparison? like, if that one isn't meant to be weirdly proportioned, then we can hit on the problems more easily

very cool retro art. I love the idea of preindustrial aliens.
so the robot's meant to have a severed head inside? because it doesn't look big enough to hold hugh jackman's head there if they're the same race.
and okay, dwarves are smaller than gnomes in your biz? that works well enough, but it still seems odd his head is so much more proportional.

Try to leave more room betweeen your letters and the box

Not to toot my own horn, but look at my attached example. I leave "breathing room" on the sides of the text so it doesn't look like I ran out of space. That makes it look a bit more "professional", and it doesn't take much time.

What kind of story do you want to tell? Laybe that way we can help font wise...

Iunno. Gill sans?

>Any suggestions?
Make all the letters look like genitalia, because without a bunch of forced sexual elements, your comic will be terrible. :^)

ok, I launched it on tumblr now: gothgrillz.tumblr.com/

so far just the cover page, i will upload actual pages tonight! maybe even try to get a webcomic template if i can find one. i have no idea how tumblr works anymore.

tomorrow, i make the GGZ reddit subpage or whatever you call it. subreddit? something like that

Actually I feel like you left much too much space in your boxes, but I assumed there used to be Hangul in there. translations often leave odd spaces by necessity
the guy you replied to has plenty of (if not too much) vertical space, but not enough horizontal.

It does look more professional, thanks for the tip.

The story I want to tell is kinda like John Constantine+Yu Yu Hakusho but less action and more slice of life. Paranormal investigations tangled with character interactions with some focus on humor.
There's still going to be "bad guys" to defeat though

interesting, I'm taking note of that one, thanks.

I've been keeping up with this page on the website that show all the characters and their bios, and now that these three have had a decent amount of dialogue, I shoved their bios in. The no face guy has a bio on here now too if you want to have more info about the guy.
vidyadeparted.tumblr.com/characters

The beginning is always the hardest part, especially if you rush through it and regret it later.
If you think you made a great beginning, then go with it dude.

Ha! Good catch. The original is in english by me, but I wanted to copy the layout used in most webtoons. But it was the closest example I had at hand. Your comment is pretty spot on.

Maybe Mighty Zeo?

oh nice. just FYI you have navigation controls on your character pages.

The most common mistakes:

>Too many panels
Brevity is the key, draw rough sketch of comic and see which panels you can merge into one. Tod McFarlane gave the best advice that when you have scene like driving a car, jumping out of car and then car goes crash normally people draw 3 panels but he draws it into one big panel
>Too many words
This is the prime example of bad comics. It's bad because nobody wants to read too many text, it's boring and people skip it, also it's not natural because people normally don't talk too much like huge speech balloons, people are different some people are talkative some not, it's ok when some character is talkative but still just have to give maximum information in minimum words
Don't make walls of text!
>Poor panel design
Experiment with point of view, make close ups, show landscapes, different angles etc, do not make same looking 3/4 view shit
>Shitty characters
Do not copy characters from shows/comics, copy characters from real life, observe people, their behaviour etc Take people you've met in your life, you have a hothead uncle? put him into your comic. Take Miyazaki's advice to your hearth

Those are protips

I know, but I have no clue how to remove them without redoing the entire basis of how the website is coded. I'll try fixing it sooner or later though

>Do not copy characters from shows/comics
>Take Miyazaki's advice to your hearth
Oh yeah he's never done that

On the subject of beginnings, what's the appropriate length for the start of the story?

For example, my beginning is a semi in medias res thing where the heroes are fighting the villain for the first time. It's in the middle of the fight, so there's a lot of shit the audience had no context for yet, only vague hints.

That should be like two-three pages max, yeah?

yeah the longer you draw it out the more it'll suck when you have to wrench them away from that

Sure, here's the other one.
I can see what you mean about the feet. The hands and feet are supposed to be larger than normal, but I may have overdone the feet design.
As far as the face goes, they're not supposed to be full furries, just "diet-furries", like the Mithra from FF. I can see if I can redesign the faces to look more . . . neotenized, maybe.

Anime was mistake

"You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!."

Honestly, I kind of enjoy how these guys look a little wonky, it's charming. They remind me of trolls or something. The sister with the headphones is much cuter imho, I think it's her eyes and expression that do it.

yep just as I thought, there's just overdetailing on things like digits and eyelids for a style this simple, and it does no favors.
>neotenized
that's exactly where it ought to go, I think. There's a reason most furries are cute carnivorous mammals and not cows and reindeer.
but after reading I must add that it's up to you, and if you'd rather make things more unique, that's totally a way to go.

It's a sketch, and they're not drawn to scale. Supposedly the robot and the dwarf are in the background.

basically just explaining why it's a good thing. real life is unworthy of inspiring fiction, which should strive to be above it. fiction should draw from imagination, idealism, paranoia, speculation.. anything but your real experiences (unless you're one of the few who has had an interesting life. like tezuka working his medical knowledge into things)
you know why? because those humans who can't stand looking at other humans are always going to be the target audience. If they were okay with real life, they'd be IN it, instead of looking at your fiction

Also, what exactly is "retro" about the way I draw?

Glad to hear, that's where I'm aiming.

Aisling (the older one) was actually roughly modeled after Eep from The Croods. I love how Eep is basically a hulking neanderthal gorilla-girl, complete with a thick, broad face, yet ultimately falls on the endearing side. That's what I want for Aisling.

In the end, I'm not going to "normalize" her appearance, as her mini-hulk beast-girl appearance is who she is.
But, If the only issues are to chill out on the feet and tweak the eyes and nose a bit, then I'm totally down with that.

Oh, not to scale, okay. Wouldn't have thought this was a 'sketch' as it's pretty dang nice. does that mean the final comic will be 'tighter' ?
well in particular that shading style especially on the robot guys but also the edge hatching. very 80s ninja turtles. I really dig it.

>Croods
that explains a lot. If you like that art, don't listen to me, I'll lead you as far away from it as I can.

Crit please?

imgur.com/a/SpTpx

imgur.com/a/LBnXs

Especially when it comes to panels/composition/framing. I can't change these chapters any more, but anything you say will be taken to heart to fix future chapters. I've also got 3 nearly done, but I won't be posting that till after its launched (might pop back in next week). I need someone with a good eye for that sort of stuff to point out my mistakes when it comes to the "comic side" of making comic books.

So what are your 'show, don't tell' tricks?

>characters use bladed weapons that vibrate really fast to increase cutting power
>show this by copying image of blade on either side of it to convey shaking

Also, you ever get the depressing feeling that show, don't tell doesn't work? There's always like dozen people asking inane questions about the bleeding obvious.

Nah, I appreciate the input, even if it's personal taste. Ideally I'd love for this to be the most popular webcomic online, and even though I want a unique character design, I still want it to be approachable enough for readers to at least tolerate it and enjoy what they do like.
I sure as shit don't plan on being the subject of one of those "Shitty webcomic" threads, so I'm willing to listen to feedback and compromise where I feel comfortable doing so.

Poorly drawing or going out of style to represent being distant or confused
It's one of my favorite ones to do

I feel like someone with art as good as yours could have picked better subject matter

I picked the subject matter intentionally because it's popular, and it'll get me noticed.

It's a great first project.

Hook people with something hot, and then reel them in with the big one. Which we're already planning.

honestly i love being told. I'd rather get more information total than to maintain some show-to-tell ratio
It probably doesn't help that we've all seen really cringey weirdly-drawn furry stuff, and most of the time it's not intentional. So far both of these drawings you've done for us look a lot better and more deliberate than your comic looked.

>wanting to get noticed at any cost
at least you understand the subject matter and its tactics well

I woulds say avoid stuff like these first two panels:

i.imgur.com/yZjc7sp.png

Make them from notoriously different shapes, right now it looks like you split an image and it takes a bit of time to notice it's two different camera shots. You have little things like that but overall it looks fine (and you'll improve if you keep going!)

Like pic related? I think it's a common problem, I always try and see if it's easy to understand with stick figures, otherwise I'll ran into the problem of spending a lot of time in a drawing that isn't very readable... but it still happens.

I'm trying to emulate satirical Mad Magazine and Franco-Belgian comics the most. The actual pages won't be as detailed, since I'm not that crazy. I might use a quill pen instead of brush for convenience.

working on a new page now, well i have to go out to eat but when i get back home i will finish this page in no time!

ignore the giant "WHAT!?" on the bottom panel, that wont be in the finished page, the girls will have their own word balloons!

i lazily drew the chicken scratch layer with a mouse while laying down on my new couch i have in front of my laptop thats on top of my desk now, thats why it looks so weird

oh okay those are neat too!

One hundred strips of Wilfreda the Wanna-Be Witch. Wilfreda and her friends break the fourth wall to thank the readers for their support.

And if you were following this little webcomic of mine, then thank you as well!

Read more at wilfredacomic.tumblr.com/

pretty tacky, but the art is great

She doesn't look ugly, just fetishy. It looks like you enjoy drawing muscles a LOT

Well, I wouldn't say at any cost. I like Trump for one, I wouldn't grind out 12 hours a say of this stuff if I didn't like the subject matter to some degree.

Plus, it's hard to say no, when you've got potential hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even millions, staring at you in the face. My first shitty one, The Debattle, got over a million views, went viral, sold 300 copies at $16 a pop, and even got a publisher to reach out to me.

Now, with a more professionally done one, we're waiting to get to chapter 6 before going all out. We're building a site atm, and once we're ready, and the book is in stores, we're gonna viral it like mad.

Tons of people out there support Trump, popular people too, people like Jon Tron, Razorfist, and even PewDiePie. All it takes is for PDP to give it a mention, and that's it son. Dude gets 5+miilion views per video. And if I give him a free volume, he's bound to talk about it. We've got a list of like 20 people to send free copies to this April.

So that's why. And once I'm big, I'm going all out, expanding, and pushing my next project, which will be even bigger.

Yeah, thanks a bunch. So basically, unless the camera shot changes, refrain from keeping panels the same size, no?

If you've got more tips like in that image you posted, I'd appreciate it.

Haha, well, it's meant to be tongue in cheek, it is a political battle manga, I mean, it's not meant to be very serious. It's a parody.

grats! may you make it to the point where 100 doesn't even seem like a landmark anymore

Shit, I forgot to reply to this one.

Yeah man, that technique is great for motion blur too. Check it out. Yusuke Murata uses it a lot in OPM.

I spend a lot of time looking at what other people do, and breaking it down, you learn a lot.

I mean I just assumed it was anti, so I guess I hate it less now, but I feel like this whole thing needs much, much less attention. I just can't blame you for trying to profit off of idiots

the guy in the front sort of looks like wolverine + han solo

got back, finished this page up, it just needs word balloons and its done!

love the way it turned out so far! hope it looks good with word balloons to!

i noticed after posting this that all that chicken scratch under her but kind of looks like a penis, this was an accident, Nina is a girl so i hope nobody got confused by that super lazy and super sloppy chicken scratch

this isnt terrible.
i dont really have any advice, but this honestly looks better than It all just seems so... flat? It might look better if instead of vectors you just sorta sketched over it a little instead

The pose and face on the top are fun and I love the faces on the bottom panel.

decided to make more fake ablum covers for my comic.
It's fun. This one's rushed, tho, but I don't really care.

hahaha, that's fantastic. Hell that's fun to do even if a comic isn't about music. when I put the old comic out on disk and mailed it to some friends, I did one of those for the cover.

>I was supposed to ask, can you RECKerd on my new ABlum?

sorry for the super epic long delay, i got super busy irl and couldn't get to a computer until just now

but anyway its done, i hope yall like it!

Does anybody live stream here? I thought it would be a cool idea so that we could give each other instant feedback or just talk while we work on art.

For that matter, would anyone here be interested in watching me stream my comic making process?

i agree, its not 3d enough senpai

i will work on fixing this asap! war zone speed! bombs a flying no time to waste!

lol, seriously though, thanks, i agree for real sometimes it does look way to flat but its not to late to go back and fix things that need to be fixed when i have the time, thanks for bringing it to my attention user

i look forward to more of your critique, help and advice random anons!

we're all on this wild webcomic ride together friends, and enemies. :^)

Discord please I need honest opinions and help first time making a comic

it wont belong before the first chapter is finished now, maybe 10 more pages and its done, maybe closer to 20 more pages max

is this good victory music for when its done: youtube.com/watch?v=fVftXmopJt4

I do. Every Sunday at midnight my time, which is like 6PM EST.

It's mostly for my Patreons, but well, not many people show up to them yet. Feel free to pop by if you're interested.

youtube.com/watch?v=DmmIqgpSAqw

"ha, ha, tell me you like it"

"maybe i'll have a hit this time"

i dont know the lyrics just seem really relateable to me right now

i find that, of all the things I could be putting on my other monitor, a drawing livestream is the worst combination with trying to draw myself. the best thing is a podcast because I can just listen

You sound really tragic

It's a fusion of cold mentality what do you expect

So I took a bit of advice from a friend (who said the same exact thing one of you anons said)...

>"Just ink like its a pencil"

So i tried to make a mock page and polished it as if the pen tool where just my pencil tool, scratchy. This is just a sample of what it look like compared to a slightly cleaner look.

compared to this...

i like this one more
i understand its a style choice but the head to body proportion really bothers me

not in the same boat as the rest of us? congrats. so why do you make a comic? I'm interested in the motivations of the accepted who still choose to engage in creative endeavors.

I like both a lot. I've heard many professionals suggest inking should never be like a pencil, that it's a common amateur move to make halting, careful lines instead of sweeping strokes.. but I like them.

I like this a lot reminds me of little Ogrest

Is this a copypasta

you ever get the feeling that you draw fairly well, but you still don't feel comfortable about drawing your own comic, cause maybe you're idea is pretty much shit or could turn out cringe, so you just end up not making comics but instead end up doing request from anons that all they want is futa versions of their favorite anime characters?

>ogrest
how do I know that name?

they're both valid.
either only put things you can draw into your comic, or use it as an excuse to challenge yourself, knowing you'll fail at some of it but more importantly you'll succeed at some of it.
after all, there's no shame in having a comic with some flaws, but there's a non-zero amount of pride in having a comic that does some things well.

Ok, so how do you get a decent-generous following. Like a 50-100 max for a continuous story based webcomic. How do you sell yourself in a massive sea of competitors

This lil guy before he grew up and turned ugly

Do something people will pay attention to, something new... and the number 1 thing I think that makes or breaks people is.... just keep going....

You never know what happens and you'll never know till ya try, do something you find difficult, do a genre you've never done, draw in a different style... if ya don't experiment you'll never find what works.

Oh wow he does look a little like Bijou!
Even the a little in the ear and ponytail department...
Although Bijou's not gonna grow up... he's a goblin thats his maximum growth.

This guy Orgest grew big and powerful, good on him.

Yeah unfortunately he kind of caused a major calamity and flooded the whole world killing countless lives... All over a woman tsk tsk

With LUCK!

ohhhh right, wakfu
wait, did we ever actually SEE this character? I remember hearing the name, but Beast Boy here isn't ringing any bells. I looked up the adult form too, also unfamiliar. I DID watch wakfu.

Holy shit, are you manlyspirit?

Same guy Just checked down in the thread
Just gotta say I fucking love your comics! And I love the style of your super manly men, I've actually been trying to megaman your style a little lately since it's one of the coolest styles I've seen for fuckhuge cool dudes. You're such a breath of fresh air for western webcomics, Keep up the great work!! Also I hope you see this before the thread 404s, because I might die a little inside if you don't.

Hard work, perseverance, and marketing. Gathering an audience it a lot easier if your story starts off with a strong hook, so if you haven't started your comic yet make sure your beginning is attention grabbing.

Once you got your comic running for a while, start sharing it everywhere. Put your comic on Top Webcomics and thewebcomiclist.com. Get a Twitter, Tumblr, Deviantart and whatever social media/art sites you enjoy and start sharing your art/comic. Reach out to other comic artists, make conversation with them, network and make friends. Mirror your webcomic on Tapastic/Webtoons/Smackjeeves if you don't already have it posted there, but be sure to link back to your main site if you have one. Just promote the hell out of your comic and hope people take notice.

I created Urchin after playing Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

One of my favorite games. This was like 10 years ago, and the character is way different now than she was back then. But I remember thinking "Man, these guys made this fun game with such a simple story, I bet I could make something like that!"

Of course now the character is NOTHING like she was back then, but still.

I know I posted it last thread, but I've finally got my webcomic up and running!

tapastic.com/series/Urchin

I've posted a lot of pages in these threads already, but eh!

What would be the best site(s) to post a webcomic that contains violence, blood, gore, drugs, full on nudity/sex? Also if possible doesn't bullshit people into having to make an account to view 18+ content.