Has a ship ever permanently derailed a story before?

Has a ship ever permanently derailed a story before?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wYCKHlv1S3Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Arrow?

ships have certainly derailed characters

I wouldn't say a story, but it definitely derailed characters like said

Marceline got downgraded and PB got more weaknesses, that is all there is to it.

This

Olicity shippers are a cancer among Green Arrow fans.

Every ship in Korra

Star vs

all Bubbline did was derail Marceline and considering she's been shit since Simon was introduced not a lot lost

Ehh, Bubbline hasn't had really had much focus. Basically just Sky Witch, Varmints and Broke His Crown and two of those episodes were great.

Don't be silly user. Garnet has no character aside from being lesbo.

Nah, lapidot is the worst ship in SU. It derailed TWO interesting character arcs.

that's your cognitive dissonance kicking in.

That's all you remember and its her present "character" defining trait, so you think that's all she ever was.

That's not derailing, that's multi track drifting

This is the problem with Bubbline, and even though it ended it also is the same with Korrasami. Ruining characters and stories because of "muh diversity" and now the only thing that resonates with any of these characters is "they're gay!"

When people look back on Korra they don't think that she was a strong and empowered female main character, the first and most dominating part of the conversation is "SHE'S GAY"

It seemed to me that it was intended from the start, given the blood moon episode and all that.

It only has two season and the second season probably started production before the first season even finished, in fact scratch probably, and is likely that it was written even before that, at least to the point of the idea being set.

It might be plot relevant to an uncomfortable point to people into shipping, but it's not "plot" derailer. as far as I can tell.

I stopped watching AT since Finn got with Flame Princess. Is Marceline x Bubblegum canon or do a lot of people just support it? Who does Finn end up with?

To be fair, the relationship between the two main characters has been the focus of the show since the beginning.

This might sound hypocritical to you, but I think bubbline is fine while Korrasami and Lapidot are both shit.

People blame bubbline for ruining Marceline's character, but really that's not the case at all. The problem is they didn't know what to do with her after season 3, so they just stopped using her, which is a shame, but not bubbline's fault. And Sky Witch proved to me that the two can have a fun dynamic.

Not canon but the show really likes throwing in hints. They're too pussy to confirm it though, might at the end of the show.

Finn's slumming it up single style right now but he had a brief stint with a grass chick a lil while back.

Finn got dumped for Cinnamon Bun.

No I am not joking.

The Bubbline thing is just teasing. As for Finn, he was with Huntress Wizard in S7, but nothing came of it... for now. The writers are teasing her return in this season.

I feel like it gives PB a more jarring personality change.
When she's previously been shifting between "Finn's older sister" and "Josef Stalin-Mengele" it feels bizarre to tie her into "Rebellious vampire girl with Daddy issues" and especially in later seasons when Marceline is THE ONLY character PB is nice too.

It's the biggest tumor on the show has now that the finn shitting on is over

I know people disagree with me on this, but PB has been really good to Finn in the past couple of seasons. The one thing I wish the show did more of is to have all the main cast hang out together like in WWM.

That's something the show has always not had enough of and I'm not really sure why, seems like it should be easy enough to do, leads to really interesting interactions and the fans always love it.
WWM was the only time I thought it was done super well, all other ones where that happened were either too short or too heavily focused on certain characters and neglected others.

>This might sound hypocritical to you, but I think bubbline is fine while Korrasami and Lapidot are both shit.

None of these are really issues though.

Korrasami had no impact on anything because it was barely hinted at in the last 30 seconds of the show. It might as well not exist. LoK always had writing issues and was often downright fucking shitty, look at S1.

Bubbline is all subtext so not really even on the show. And there are only a small handful of episodes that even have Marcy and PB interacting. The show has started to suffer from major writing problems all. Look at the crappy way they handled the Lich's arc. Has zero to do with Bubbline. Same with the bun cucking. Nothing to do with Bubbline.

Lapidot is also not canon/subtext. Big problem is that there is nothing for those characters too do. That's what "ruined" them they have no ideas for good plots for them. SU just has way too many shitty filler episodes now. And dragging its feet on main plot arc advancement.

Basically none of these relationships are the series focus like Olicity. You can say THAT ruined a show. But none of these three relationships were even really on the show. And even the interaction between the two characters mentioned in each case is rare, not a series focus. So saying they "ruined" the show is fucking stupid. Instead, all three shows have had general writing problems.

>not cancerous ships
Trash

Berserk

>happened were either too short or too heavily focused on certain characters and neglected others.
Agreed. I really enjoyed Stakes personally, but some more group interaction would've gone a long way. Time Sandwich is the only other example I can think of off the top of my head, and that was great, but as you say too short.

Trains are on rails, you fucking moron. Ships are on water.

This show is still fucking running? i thought it got put in hiatus hell, what is this 2010? why are you still talking about this dogshit show?

well memed

If ships are on water why do they carry cargo instead of shipments?

I honestly can't think of one other example.

Korrasami is just silly. Like they expect me to care about them getting together at the end when the romance between them was non-existent. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if they still had it, but decided to end on a different note.

My problem with lapidot is that I associate it with the memeification of both of their characters. Also, any bone fide romance between the two would do fuck all for either of their character arcs, which were actually interesting once upon a time.

You are right that none of them 'ruined' their respective shows, because they are barely present, but I think these two are much worse than bubbline.

It's better than anything else on CN.

My problem with Lapidot is that it makes no sense.

I like the idea of Lapis being all over Steven, given their interactions.

Came here to post this.

Honestly, Kataang had more of a negative effect on ATLA than Korrasami did on LoK, because at least we didn't have to deal with contrived romantic drama.

Don't go to Sup Forums much?

The fact that LoK's wikipedia page has an entire section dedicated to "Gender, race and sexual orientation" is enough to make me hate that asspulled pairing.

And why the fuck is Asami second billed?

What was Missing was never intended to have a gay subtext and the writing staff was surprised that people interpreted it that way. They decided to bait people with it though and threw in references to a nonexistent relationship.

Since then, the writing staff has changed and it's entirely possible that the newer people take it seriously rather than just being an extended joke based on a misinterpretation.

It's noteworthy that main "evidence" for it being canon is a comment from a book signing that didn't match anything Olivia Olson said before or since and that's never been backed up by anybody else on the show.

Plus Olson said on Twitter later that evening that she makes things up all the time at those kind of events before deleting it after enraged shippers swarmed her.

Look at Rebecca Sugar's show and tell me again that WWM wasn't intended to have gay subtext. The staff just didn't like that one Youtube channel speaking for them when they wanted to let fans interpret things however they wanted.

The final season is either airing now or will air soon.

>show stars bad
>goes better after one season
>drop the ball with muh retainship teen drama stuff
I am with OP

>When people look back on Korra they don't think that she was a strong and empowered female main character
Or, you know, because she wasn't.

>Since then, the writing staff has changed
lol okay, Muto himself boarded Varmints. And can we just stop with this 'the writing staff changed thing', it isn't true., most of the boarders/writers have been there for years.

WHY THE FUCK IS SHE JUST FLOATING AROUND IN THE DAYTIME?

They're virtually in Ice King's Crown.

I would say Korrasami. From now on there is no way NOT to include it in the story.

>happened in last few seconds
>derailed anything

No. Kataang was much much worse.

Even then it didn't derail the show. The closest example I can think of of a ship actually reailing a show right now is Arrow. Maybe Friends or Buffy from old times would also count.

>derailed anything
the comics

>Kataang was much much worse
everyone was waiting for it already, how is it bad?

Not them, but Kataang was very sloppily written in the third season.

>In The Runaway, Aang straight up lies to Katara's face about not scamming anymore, and their relationship is portrayed as one of mother and son.
>Aang suddenly kisses Katara on the invasion, which is just ignored up until Ember Island Players. Aang also arrogantly assumes that they were going to be together, and then after Katara expresses confusion, he kisses her again.
>In Southern Raiders, we are shown that Aang is unable to understand/comfort Katara in her most vulnerable moment, and the same is true for Katara when she is unable to comfort Aang right before he has to face the firelord.
>There are several moments that show that a relationship between them wouldn't work. Then with no explanation, Katara does a complete 180 at the end and is apparently in love with him now.

It makes no sense, and ultimately makes both characters more unlikeable.

He also lost his V card to LSP.

And PB keeps him on a leash. Only a matter of time before she starts to sloppily make out with Marceline on top of her bed with him chained to the floor

Now THIS is the series finale I want to see!

Not necessarily a story, but KotH episodes about Bobby and his relationship drama are among the worst

He ends up with his hand. AND EVEN HIS HAND LEAVES HIM!

Twice

>the comics

Honestly most people do not give a shit about the comics. Also they could choose to have Asami "off travelling somewhere or running her business somewhere" but still dating Korra if they wanted.

>everyone was waiting for it already

No they weren't, every time it came up it was awkward and annoying. I hate Zutara but it probably became so popular because not many people liked Kataang. The best thing about Kataang is that there wasn't too much of it really. Mike and Brian cannot write romance at all they are shit at it.

>And PB keeps him on a leash. Only a matter of time before she starts to sloppily make out with Marceline on top of her bed with him chained to the floor

No finnshitposting allowed cuckfags

>the first and most dominating part of the conversation is "SHE'S GAY"
take that away from her and you end up with nothing.

That shit is hilarious.

No, they don't dare to say it out loud, or they are not allowed to.
But it's heavy with annoying subtext, which you can ignore and should, but you can't ignore the effects it has on the overall quality.

>take that away from her and you end up with nothing.

She's only "gay" for maybe 60 unclear seconds so if that's the case the problem is THE ENTIRE FUCKING GODDAMN SERIES jesus h. christ. I mean if that happened in season 2 and took up a bunch of fucking screentime maybe there'd be an argument to build but it is so fucking uncertain that korrasami is even happening that the creators had to come the fuck out and say it because it looks like two aquaintainces who decide at the very end of the show to take a little trip it is a non-issue

the bitchy whininess makes no sense, the only thing i can figure out is you have some political agenda to push or something becaiuse in the show it is no even there

no everything is about you pushing your political agenda on us you know? Maybe the show just had crap writing

>Korrasami
That ship was barely present expect for the (implied and free to ignore) asspull, so it's impact it has for the story is actually minimal.
Other ships though... they pretty much shat the bed with Mako, who was named after Mako. Nice tribute to a great man you've got there, Nigg!

And the entire show in general. It was so painfully obvious that they saved money on the writers and pretty much tried to run on the brand alone, like they still do with SpongeBob.

The creators didn't dare to show it in the cartoon.
They decided to tell it via social media, and I have to say, I detest how shows are now intertwined with social media.
Not only this, but I detest how progs and libruls are celebrating it as something big.
I repeat: They chickened out on it. This shit is the opposite of brave.

>they could choose to have Asami "off travelling somewhere or running her business somewhere"
Tumblr would murder them, so they can't.

>No they weren't
"the main character totally won't get the girl".

Then Sugar came along and fucking embarrassed them.

Idk, I think the shipping made the season better. Star's emotions and self-sacrifices fleshed her out, and it's not like the Jackie/Marco relationship absorbed most of the story

>Ben 10: Alien Force
Gwen and Kevin

>Ben 10: Alien Force
>Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
Ben and Julie

>Code Lyoko
Ulrich and Yumi

>Danny Phantom
Danny and Sam

>Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Rose Wilson-2 and Martian Manhunter

>Regular Show
Mordecai and Margaret

>Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
Daphne and Fred
Velma and Shaggy

>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)
Donatello and April

>Total Drama
Duncan, Courtney, Gwen
Mike and Zoey

>Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race
Carrie and Devin
Stephanie and Ryan

>Wolverine and the X-Men
Emma Frost, Cyclops, Jean Grey

>Ben 10: Omniverse
Kai. They brought back Kai so they could keep the Ben 10,000 and Ken 10 stuff part of the main canon.

All Kai did was be a Lara Croft knock-off and act bitchy. Everyone insists Ben and Kai are madly in love and don't want to admit it, when they really don't have any chemistry.

You not really serious, are you? I haven't watched the show since season 4 and I'm having trouble deciding if I REALLY need to catch up or if this is just a standard case of "Sup Forums overreacting to things".

Only because fin was being an asshole

No, he just made out with her. The scene seemed like a metaphor for casual sex, though.

The episode in question (Breezy) was all about Finn trying to relax and fill a void in his life by kissing a bunch of girls. LSP didn't settle for a kiss and they faded out to black.

Dude, no, they totally banged.
youtu.be/wYCKHlv1S3Y
That's as close as you can get to insinuating "they fucked" in a PG cartoon. He was even literally "deflowered" afterwards.

You should catch up, it's good. Season 7 is my favourite season so far.

Nah, I agree with , it was probably just an intense make out session, but it was definitely a metaphor for sex.

Yo, wtf!?
I have so many questions. I think I know what I'm marathoning next.

>Has a ship ever permanently derailed a story before?
>Adventure Time
Seems more likely to me that OP and other user's are just upset that Finn hasn't gotten with PB since she started playing for the other team.

Does it matter if it's a metaphor if there's a hard cut and we don't actually get to see the sex/not-sex? I think we all agree that there's a heavy implication of sex, and since we never actually see the act the implication is all we have to go on. Therefore, it's implied Finn and LSP had sex.
QED

PB is 800 and something, she was swinging for the same team before Finn was jizz in his dad's balls, and before he was jizz in HIS father's balls.

>I think we all agree that there's a heavy implication of sex
Allusion to sex yes, but that does not imply that it happened at all. A metaphor is nothing more than a comparison. I'd ague that the context of the episode, preceding dialogue and subsequent interactions between Finn and LSP more strongly imply that they just made out.

>Seems more likely to me that OP and other user's are just upset that Finn hasn't gotten with PB since she started playing for the other team.
Pretty much. People are likely just pissy that a character they probably self-inserted themselves into didn't 'get the girl'.

I look at the whole Bubblegum and Marceline thing and just shrug. There's nothing to get worked up over, unless you're one of those shits that tries to put yourself in the hero's shoes.

>There's nothing to get worked up over, unless you're one of those shits that tries to put yourself in the hero's shoes.
Do you have any idea where you are?

>oh they're totally self inserting that'll make my arguements better
>smug anime image shitposting 101
How about you two off yourselves along with them

Not sure why you replied to me as well, but they're not wrong. A lot of people who are upset are self-inserters or shipfags.