How do you make a scene in which one person fights off multiple opponents look believable?

How do you make a scene in which one person fights off multiple opponents look believable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HA4vJ9hBSmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lUpK8DoSrVg
youtube.com/watch?v=4nIXyA0IFK8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

#1: don't have them all attack one by one... which most kung fu movie is guilty off unfortunately.

The DDs1 hallway fight wasnt incredibly unrealistic save for a flashy kick, Matt gives as good as he takes. and wins on his guts.

Of course there's also the Oldboy hallway fight, its not even a martial arts scene its a damn brawl and it looks great.

If your hero is outnumbered give him a weapon and dont be afraid to make him look human.

It helps that its in a confined space too. Both fights are in a hallway in which the loner can't get surrounded and piled on as easily

Cuts.
Lots of Cuts

Make like the raid movies. Protagonist gets injured but it's so violent you aren't thinking about realism.

meme tier action scenes

Got anything to recommend or are you just satisfied with being a faggot?

Like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=HA4vJ9hBSmQ

Scott Adkins is such a boss.

have it be an action comedy.
hire Jackie Chan.
watch Police Story (1985)

he gets hit, a lot.
the blend of comedy means that his opponents aren't going to attempt to stab him in the chest with a Rambo knife, they're going to hit him with a piece of pipe across the back and he's going to react to it.

if you put in enough effort, the audience's disbelief that a man could fight off this many people is removed. the action is so fast and occasionally brutal (falling through objects), that you believe that somebody could actually pull this off.
Jackie is always on the back-foot, but always puts in the most effort. he's basically Goku from Dragon Ball.

If you think that Oldboy scene is well choreographed then you suck dick.

>How do you make a scene in which one person fights off multiple opponents look believable?
You ask Jackie

Jackie Chan was a living god in the 80s, that whole mall act from Police Story has some of the best fight sequences put to film.

Jackie Chan can always make it work. It's all choreography. Make everyone look like they're actually trying. Shitty American movies like Taken just have dudes stand around waving their arms at Liam Neeson while he "I'm the cook"s them one at a time with 15 camera cuts a second to make it look visceral to retards.

Yuen Woo-Ping has half a dozen guys all grab sticks and start wacking Jackie Chan on the back with them while he frantically dives across table-tops tripping and throwing them one by one as he gets openings until he wins. You need to actually plan out what each guy in a scene is going to be doing. A lot of extras in Hong Kong aren't just scruffy looking dudes hauled off the street, Jackie has his own company of guys who are all as willing to dive around and get hurt as he is.

If it is more than 3 vs 1 the single person has to lose

Never used the word 'choreographed' once but thanks for playing.

unless it's an action comedy in which our hero puts in a shitload of effort and actually gets hit at times.

Put it in a hallway maybe?
youtube.com/watch?v=lUpK8DoSrVg

You said it looks great. It can only look great if it's well choreographed. Idiot.

he said "one person" not "one god"

youtube.com/watch?v=4nIXyA0IFK8

Name a fucking better action scene already, you massive faggot. You're getting shamefully BTFO by this autist.

He loses.

1. Confined space or limited potential for opponents to engage the single fighter.
2. Ludicrous skill difference or weapons employed between single fighter and opponents (baton vs. fist, sword vs. dagger, automatic rifle vs handguns).
3. Extremely violent and disabling moves used by the single fighter, although that somewhat ties in to skill level difference.

It also helps if the baddies or opponents are all wounded or something similar.

Im dum what film of his is this

Not true at all, I don't care who choreographed a fight sequence as long as the end result looks good. I think you just really don't like Oldboy for some reason.

Looks like 'Armour of God' but I'm not certain. If I remember right in that particular scene he's fighting what's pretty much the cult from Resident Evil 4.

Yh armour of god

Dear anyone reading this: please do yourself a favor and watch Police Story (1985)

you won't regret it. the story is pretty decent and the action is god-tier.
Jackie and his stunt team almost die several times for your amusement.
he was disillusioned with his attempts at breaking into Hollywood, so went back to Hong Kong and said "I'll show you that I can make a good film".

The two Raid films

You resurrect Panna Rittikrai.

to be fair jackie had an entire stunt that he worked wirh for several movies. all were trained in martial arts and their stunts in fights were brutal. jackie said he always had time on his side so they could make every scene look perfect when filming. the years of experience behind their preparations where massive. that's why he often had trouble when working with americans, that couldn't do kicks or coreographies he showed them. he also said americans are always in a hurry so to mask imperfect fight scenes they cut at every punch and hit, taking away all of the impact. jackie is or was a god in that regard

I don't have a problem with Oldboy, that scene has just become a meme. Idiots confuse style with substance. It's a 5 minute scene where a bunch of idiots hug each other and look at the protagonist and then attack one by one, the strikes have no force and it all looks very clumsy how they never gang up on him, like when he almost trips or how when he curls down on the floor they just look at him. As an action scene it's horrendous but because it's one shot and because of how the camera is placed then it has style.

Ong Bak does it good i think

Well I was going to say that but jsut watching some videos now shows it kinda doesnt

Anyone seen chocolate with the autistic girl? I think i remember that being amazing for multi people fights

Jackie is simply the best

The scene does look good, park is a good director but he didnt go full on the fight looking real or something, he just cared about composition. How theyre hitting him with sticks that break before impact looks laughable.

Its enjoyable as a scene but not as a fight.

>DDs1 hallway fight
the other guy was right when he called this a meme
will never understand how people were impressed by a one-take fight scene where 60% of the action takes place off screen.