youtube.com/watch?v=ofzE4zn_4Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=E6k3YBmIUYo
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_cloak
youtube.com/watch?v=UhDtFnpNOfE
youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg
youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0
youtube.com/watch?v=IezQw6dJs4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because you can actually feel the rage instead of just being told that the sith are angry.

Because you go into that duel thinking Luke is gonna wreck Vader and then Vader disarms him thirty seconds in. The tension is so fucking tight. It felt like I had a heart attack the first time I saw Luke’s hand get sliced off.

it’s always fun to watch alpha vader fuck up beta luke

A much needed improvement over the lightsaber "fight" in New Hope, and it illustrates the difference in skill from a master to an apprentice. Vader's been doing this shit for a while, Luke has only trained for like a week. Luke ignites his lightsaber trembling, Vader meets his saber to Lukes' elegantly. Vader trashes his ass. You take the villain much more seriously and realize he's not fucking around, that Luke will have to go through a lot if he wants to stop Vader.

Mark Hamill looks like Pepe and Wojack at the same time

Good intro, but fight gets much weaker later on. sure you could argue luke just gets used to his fighting style or that's he gets more confident, but nah just bad choreography especially in the scenes leading up to the big reveal.
6/10

Why didn't Vader use this trick?

>luke walks into a dimly lit room (showing the evil of vader, its luke walking into the cave on dagobah again)
>vader dramatically shows up and ignites his saber in one hand beckoning luke to face him
>luke thinks he can beat vader after the cave so he goes in on him
>vader toys with luke the whole time, only using one arm to handle his saber, being on the defensive and pushing him around with only one arm, using dramatic abilities like floating after luke
>luke is able to evade Vaders tries to carbonite him, earning some respect from vader he starts using both hands on the saber
>vader then tests luke in the force, threatening him and telling him to give in to the dark side, throwing objects through the force and showing everyone just how outclassed luke is
>luke gets fucking pissed and starts flailing at vader and actually manages to get a hit, giving the audience and luke a "oh shit luke can do this!" moment
>vader immediately cuts that shit out and chops off lukes hand, reveals hes his father, and crushes both luke and the audience emotionally
>as luke falls, its clear that in this story the good guys dont win. a sense of helplessness permeates everything
>hans frozen, lukes crippled, and the empire is in a dominating position and then the movie ends
>perfect way to end the film and a perfect cliffhanger to get people jazzed about star wars

rotj is the best one
from the prequels is dooku vs anakin and obiwant, the one in coruscant, the one in geonosis was the worst of all time

also youll notice luke goes in looking completely serious and purposeful, and about 2 minutes in his eyes are so wide he looks like a deer in headlights. he knows hes biting off more than he can chew, and so do we, and that makes it fucking scary when youre invested in his character. im sure more people wanted luke to get the fuck out of there instead of fight when the film originally came out

Return of the Jedi was better.

That's a funny way of saying ROTJ duel is best

in addition yull notice luke ignites his lightsbaer first and his in an aggressive stance, vader ignites second and is fully defensive for the first half of the fight. vader also keeps coming back to his fighting stance, you can tell the years of swordmanship he owns. luke flails around like a little baby and is way too loose, vaders quick and tight, beating him around like a baby seal

one last thing, vader does the dooku move that chops of your hand early in the fight with luke and you can see him back off. he holds the saber back and lets luke roll away, the duel could be over right there. instead he waits and uses it at the end when hes had enough of his whiny brat son. its a completely conscious decision as well, you see vader act like hes going to chop and he stops it right before he goes through with it. luke was never going to win that battle, and its great that he doesnt

I like how there's no music when Luke enters the chamber. The adventure is over, and Luke's in deep shit now.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vfxaadmrvjk
youtube.com/watch?v=ofzE4zn_4Zw

yea no music until the very end, and then when the music comes on its the imperial march. ESB is gg ez for the empire

He has the feels.

>This fight has pointy elbows.

youtube.com/watch?v=E6k3YBmIUYo

this part of the duel with this music is just the best kino moment in history

There's high tension, and it's not the fight you expect. People think oh Luke's gonna go in there and save his friends, and then Vader's like "I'm your daddy", and whoops him a new one .

How did Vader not see Luke crouching right there beside him under the stairs?

here we go again, thread derailed

Luke used the force to cloud his mind, as established in the prequels.

lol thats not ROTJ OP

but yea its prolly second best

Anyone have a soft spot for Ep1 fight though just cause the song is so great

force cloak

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_cloak

Top vid. That move at about 1m09s/1m10s?

Flips the saber out of Luke's hand then does that sudden pull back, rather than follow though?
I buy that.

any oldfags here who saw Empire when it came out? What were the audience reactions like to the I am your Father reveal?

yep. vader had the duel finished right there

Slightly superceded by this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=UhDtFnpNOfE

yws the movie in the timeline in wich maul survives, telling obiwan "now you have a face to hate, jedi" and leaving him holding, then rescueing the neimodians and see a diferent sequel with maul in it

>Young anakin thinks spinning is a good trick
>in his adult years, he keeps spinning as a reminder that he's still the same person on the inside
>during his final fight, spinning gets him mangled which is what turns him into darth vader
>as darth vader, he doesen't spin any more

Because it was dark and luke was wearing black clothes. Also, in Revenge of the Sith before they put Vader's mask on you can clearly see a feature on the lense of his mask that says, "hidden elements due to insufficient light: 89%. So, clearly, because it was dark, that percentage must have dropped to like, 10%.

Check and mate, kid.

"That was not the first time I die nor it will be the last" - Sheev Palpatine

>Why is this the best duel in Star Wars?
Because it's the one that result in Luke losing the hand that would be used to create Rey, the best character in Star Wars!

you mean luuuuuke

Ok a lot of you guys are saying ROTJ fight was better than Empire here's where your wrong niggers, empire had objectively superior choreography and cinematography

I prefer ROTJs showdown though because of Luke going beast on Vader

I don't like how ROTJ makes Vader such a shitty fighter. I know it's supposed to make it look like Luke has gotten "stronger" but Vader looks like he can barely keep up and has to take a knee and lie down. Good idea for a fight but I think the execution could have been a little better.

It's a lot worse than I remember. The one in ROTJ was much more passionate and poignant.

it's for the song

Vader wasnt a shitty fighter lore wise it was just clumsy choreography

You're wrong. This icon of power getting completely overwhelmed and falling on his back is one of the most memorable scenes in the trilogy.

I forget exactly how it plays out, but I think you see him grip on to the handle and you're just like "oh fuck"

Quigon & Obi Wan v Maul

TOO EASY

Ok a lot of you guys are saying Empire fight was better than ROTJ here's where your wrong niggers ROTJ had objectively superior choreography and cinematography

I prefer Empire's showdown though because of Vader going beast on Luke

A lot of you will think that I'm being ironic.

But some of you will click this link and realize I'm right.

youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

I hate TFA but I greatly enjoyed the duels near the end.

If it didn't constantly cut back to a shot-by-shot copy of the trench run I'd say it was the best.

Vader is low on helmet batteries at this point in the fight. He uses Supervolt like a fucking plep because, just like with the generic suit they plopped him in when he got burned, the Empire won't spring for name brand.

youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0

What Sega Saturn game is this?

The villian was not white therefore it's a racist white shitlord duel

I like the rest of the fight but the way he falls down at the end is just clumsy, feels awkward to me. It's a lot more passionate than cold so I can understand why people like it more than ESB's fight though. The beginning of the ROTJ fight where they cross sabers in front of the Emperor was the more iconic part to me.

anything with sheev is kino purely by him being a completely evil cunt and hamming it up every time he appears. hes fucking evil and he loves it

He's clearly not giving his all against Luke. He's just trying to turn him... but Luke is also trying to turn him as well and it is kind of working... so he is conflicted. There were many times he could just cut Luke down but didn't.

This is better than any duel in AOTC.

>There were many times he could just cut Luke down but didn't

he tried but Luke blocked, sick of people interpreting clumsy choreography as vader letting him win

This show had no right to be as good as it was.

No, really, when they rebooted it they clearly were not OK with making a good show anymore.

KINO

dude who plays maul is a great fucking fighter, all the little things he does during the fight are kino
youtube.com/watch?v=IezQw6dJs4I

Lucas himself was funding the episodes that's why they were so fucking good. He gave them all the creative control in the world and just threw money at them. Rebels has like an 8th of that budget and it shows

See

As darth vader, the one time he spins it's out of his control and he gets lost in space. The spin left him

>Still Trying aren't you.
The shit choreography fits into the story, kill yourself.

I think you’re right. Vader was showing off a little in Empire but he seems more subdued and down in Jedi. It was a brilliant choice to demonstrate how unfocused and wavering he currently was. Luke says it himself, “I don’t believe you’ll destroy me now.”

Luke didn't have his lightsaber out and Vader literally tried to strike him down

yea vader in jedi didnt seem to have it like he did in esb. he seemed less powerful and less dominant. guess luke was right, the conflict in vader was real

luke easily dodged it. vader telegraphed it with an inhale and raising his saber right before he struck. luke was able to see it easy, vader testing his reflexes. the only time vader actually tries is the very end when luke taps into his anger and slices vaders shoulder and the fight ends immediately

>implying that Vader wasn't holding back

The characters don't stop being the characters just because they are fighting. In the prequels and nuwars everybody could trade the choreography steps and there wouldn't be any difference. The only plot relevance in every fight is who wins.

I'm talking about ROTJ not ESB

Maul does survive and he get a robot spider body.

Throne room is the best for me.

But its better than anything in the shitquels because they aren't spinning around or doing CGI backflips like an anime character. Its realistic and you actually care about the MC.

my bad then yea vader was coming for him in rotj

i agree with you user

Anakin vs Obiwan on Mustafar