We're never getting anything good from the Robocop IP again are we?

We're never getting anything good from the Robocop IP again are we?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orion_Pictures_films
youtube.com/watch?v=G6OMOR01Qrg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BITCHES LEAVE

No, but so what? We got one excellent movie.

the first movie is more than enough, desu

> bitches. leave.

best dialogue in film ever?

This, be glad that it happened.

Stunningly enough, Robocop really does require Veerhoven's unique "outlook" to be anything less than shit.

ROBOCOP

as in robot-cop

good grief

I think we are lucky enough to get Robocop 1. They went through hell to get that movie made.

it's Verhoeven.

Also 2 wasn't that bad, either. There is a surprising amount of pathos in that movie.

No, 2 is great, I like it a lot, but it's not excellent like the first one. The first movie is as perfect as a movie about a robotic police officer can be.

Don't give a fuck how Stroodle Strasenfrazen spells his name

But he is just the right kind of disturbed fuck that makes Robocop work out. Everyone else wants to just make some kind of stalward superhero out of him.

We really don't need more, only the first movie was great the other 3 fucking movies sucked INCLUDING the horrible mini series and lets not forget the kid friendly cartoon show AND reboot.

Just let it die.

We will never see a totally unassumingly brilliant villain like Bodiker again.

>Looks and dresses like a middle aged Math teacher.
>Behaves like a deranged psychopath with an attitude and sense of humor of an adolescent.
>Physically nothing but has a scary presence and has fits of rage.

I remember being blown away by how scary and cool this guy was when I seen this as a kid.

I headcanon that Robocop and That 70s Show take place in the same universe and Bodiker is a descendant/distant relative of the Foremans.

Robocop 1 and 2, the cartoon show, and even the reboot were all good. How much more of the same thing do you need?

the just have to go back and make it wacky as possible

We don't need to.

That's because they treat it like an "IP" - that is, a franchise to be endlessly exploited with PG-13 installments, and toy and fast food tie-ins.

Instead of what it originally was: a weird, relatively low-budget work of an auteur director making an X-rated, violent Jesus parable.

>a sequel to the original where they reactivate the forgotten Robocop
You know that someone in Hollywood is considering this.

What about the tv show?

What are the chances it gets a modern video game like Mad Max? Being able to drive around a future Detroit sandbox shooting perps in the dick would be kino.

A game like that couldn't be released in today's political climate user.

Got to respect the old Orion Pictures. They threw in money on some good fucking films that weren't guaranteed to become anything: First Blood, The Terminator, Platoon, Robocop, Bill & Ted.

Not a bad resume, I think:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orion_Pictures_films

Look how watchdogs turned out.

Also apparently there's actual copyright on buildings so you can't even depict Detroit properly.

Man, that's really shitty. I guess they could make it mostly set in Delta City or something with remnants of old Detroit here and there.

Weren't those Carolco?

>auteur theory

Always a simplification. The script by Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner is key. It's a really, really solid script and very little was changed between script and final film. The biggest change is the reduction of the futuristic setting for budget reasons (for example, Murphy's wife moved to a moon colony, the film was probably meant to look more like Blade Runner style cyberpunk) and deleting a few scenes. Verhoven brought it to life brilliantly of course. Plus there's Rob Bottin, who designed the iconic RoboCop suit, and the other special effects team. Basil Poledourius for the great score.

Even the lighting was top notch. Verhoven mentions in the commentary that the lighting guy really pushed for this chiaroscuro style natural lighting. A lot of the light is actually on set lighting and isn't overlit. Compare this to 2-3 which are shot on location often, but are so overlit they look like fake sets. The natural lighting gives RoboCop a real grounded feel. Little details like this are easy to miss.

Really, it's a group effort. Verhoven was just one piece of the puzzle.

Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna were involved in both companies.

T2 was Carolco, T1 was Orion (and Hemdale). First Blood was both Carolco and Orion. The Rambo sequels were all Carolco.

Carolco was of course also indeed involved in other awesome films in the 80's and 90's.

Sure, but the throughline of ultraviolence, a bit of sleaze, and a helping of satire is present in all Verhoeven films. Well, most of them anyway.

So I'd say he was a pretty important piece.

He’s a grown up Eric Forman who went off the deep in when Donna divorced him.

>Carolco was of course also indeed involved in other awesome films in the 80's and 90's.
All the best action movies of that period.

>Sure, but the throughline of ultraviolence, a bit of sleaze, and a helping of satire is present in all Verhoeven films. Well, most of them anyway.

That just means he likes certain types of scripts, especially since Neumeier also wrote Starship Troopers. He should get credit for bringing these scripts to life, but not for everything. Auetur theory works for low budget films where one guy writes/directs/produces.

Is the first film actually good though? I feel like the only reason I love the film is because I saw it when I was like 10 and I didn't know any better then.

nah, it's just capeshit with ''''social''' commentary.

Yes, it's quite brilliant. I went back to watch a lot of old films from my childhood, adn most of them didn't stand up, but RoboCop did.

It's probably the best Superhero film ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=G6OMOR01Qrg

I'm not sure what this phenemonen is called, but it's a kind of streamlining and simplification that occurs with sequels. What occurs is the superficial elements of the story are carried on instead of the nuance.

Take Johnson here. In the script he's referred to as a middle manager who'd go nowhere. In the film, he's just one of several Junior executives of OCP. The only reason he gets any spotlight is because he's friends with Morton. His role in the script is really just to give Morton someone to talk to in several scenes. However, since he's so prominently featured, he is the one junior exec to be featured in the sequels. 2-3 the entire junior executives are now gone, and the only leadership we see are Johnson, Old Man and the new CEO. Is it possible that Johnson would rocket up through the corporate ladder?

Maybe, but it reeks of script writers just taking a superficial look at the story and then writing a sequel based on that rather than the actual story.

The entire thing with Delta City seems like another one. In the original script, there seems to be genuine confusion about the nature of Delta City and the jobs it'd create. Some lines suggest that Delta City itself will create jobs, and others suggest that the construction of Delta City would create the jobs. For 3, we see ads showing how Delta City itself will house the new jobs. The idea that the construction of Delta City would create the jobs is likely the original one, as it makes more sense.

Hell yeah, it's good.

Anyone who doesn't love scenes like this - as an adult or a child - is a total turbofaggot:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

I don't get robocop franchise, the original movie never made that much money, and somehow it got 2 sequels, two animated shows, two live actions shows, comics and video games. the fucking remake made more money than all the trilogy combined.

is that including home video?

>the original movie never made that much money

Well, with inflation it was budget of 28.23 million with 115.95 box office. That's a good profit, and Orion was desperate for more hits so they pushed for a sequel quickly. Then on top of that, you have to account for toy and merchandise sales, which were probably huge. Video games as well. This is why they had an animated show and pushed for the third film to be kid friendly.

As long as something profits they'll make a sequel. It's only after it stops that they stop. Really simple concept.

Because you're a normie and you don't understand good cinema.

>Uh It No Make Good Money In Box Office, Must be baaad, Uh Oh.

Reread that post again you dumb fucking retard. I never said Robocop is bad. I only sad I'm amazed robocop got so many sequels and shows
I guess.

Robocop 1, Robocop 2, and Robocop VS Terminator for SEGA was all we need or ever will need.