What does Sup Forums think of Steve Ditko?

What does Sup Forums think of Steve Ditko?

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2016/11/steve-ditko-doctor-strange-c-v-r.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never heard of him

Who?

He's not dead yet?

>Ditko’s next-door neighbor, an entertainment-industry manager, came out to see what was going on. I told him what I was doing and he said Ditko’s hearing is shot — he runs into Ditko occasionally, and lately the octogenarian’s been shouting, “What?” when the manager greets him. As we talked, another occupant of the seventh floor walked by. She said she gets in very early most days. They’ve exchanged pleasantries and once talked about lease renewal, but not much else — though she did have one intriguing story.

>“One time, about ten years ago, I accidentally got a piece of his mail,” she said, her eyebrows rising scandalously. “I opened it and then realized it wasn’t mine because that check had too many zeroes.” My body jerked up with shock — that contradicted Ditko’s claim that he doesn’t get a cut. I asked for more details. She said it was from a movie studio, and that when she gave it back to him, he just took it and said nothing. “That’s probably why he can work in that little office,” she said, and laughed. “He’s doing all right.”

Pretty good football guy

i think he did great with the chicago bears

dammit, you preposted me ...

>What does Sup Forums think of Steve Ditko?

A lot better of him than he would ever think of us...

Objectivism should be considered a mental illness.

Go fuck yourself, it just means that you lack empathy, nothing else. But I'm sure the only shit you know about objectivism is that Snyder is into it.

He could be dead, and no one has found his body in his apartment.

Or he could outlive Stan Lee, and be the last Golden Age creator left alive.

He still responds to letters

According to his neighbors, he's always in his office working on independent mail-order comics. He's also in full "grumpy old man" mode, so even people who want to meet the co-creator of Spider-Man are often warned not to even make eye contact with him.

Quitter who couldn't make cash.

I think A is A.

Ditko was probably always an asshole. He's a rather private guy and not the attention whore that Stan Lee is.

t. jerkass old people used to be jerkass young people

>it just means that you lack empathy
We call that psychopathy, m8

The two are both in a showdown to see who's the last man standing.

>Or he could outlive Stan Lee, and be the last Golden Age creator left alive.

Steve started his career in the 50s--he's a Silver Age guy.

Silver Age started in 1956 and Ditko had been published in 1953.

That's in the intermediary age in between the Golden Age and the Silver Age that I sometimes see called the Atomic Age.

The Silver Age really began about 1949 at which point the postwar comic style was clearly noticeable, especially the move towards more kid-friendly content which actually predates the CCA by a few years. If you look at, for example, Superman comics from '49, he's starting to look like his Silver Age self.

Nice source, buddy.

Which of his non-Marvel or DC works should I read?

You could try his Charlton books. Question, Blue Beetle...

>doesn't accept royalties or healthcare or a fair salary because of his weird religion
Cheaper than illegal immigrants.

I consider the Silver Age to start with the implementation of the Comic Code Authority.

Is this bait? I can't tell

That cheque was from that stuff Robin Snyder's been putting out for him, of course.

Occasionally brilliant cartoonist. The best character designer, bar none, in the industry's history. He'd be a better writer if he didn't make most everything he put his pen to sound like a political tract.

I think it's fascinating that Spider-Man was his biggest contribution to capeshit considering that Spider-Man is a bit of an outlier.
The majority of Ditko I've seen is excessively trippy, even "normal" characters go all in on the psychedelic visuals for symbolic effect. Spidey's such a fuckin' normie compared to it all.

Bump

Bump

Wouldn't that be the opposite of cheap?

>Spidey's such a fuckin' normie compared to it all.

That's the appeal of the character though.

No, why?

Odd Man appeared in the backup of Mother Panic this week

>“One time, about ten years ago, I accidentally got a piece of his mail,” she said, her eyebrows rising scandalously. “I opened it and then realized it wasn’t mine because that check had too many zeroes.” My body jerked up with shock — that contradicted Ditko’s claim that he doesn’t get a cut. I asked for more details. She said it was from a movie studio, and that when she gave it back to him, he just took it and said nothing.

Lol this is literally the fakest story this site of fanfic

Anyone actually interested in discussing his work and not his politics? And if politics do come up it can be kept within the context of how it effects specific work?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Does the Dr. Strange omnibus contain all his work on the character? I keep telling myself I'm going to get it one of these days

I'm not complaining, just saying it's weird given that it wasn't Ditko usual forte.

I bought it on Black Friday on impulse.
I blame the movie.

Don't know that Omnibus but his Dr. Strange run isn't long so that's probably all of it. It's Strange Tales #110-111 and 114-146 which are all 8 page stories and then the Amazing Spider-Man #2 crossover.

The whole run is collected (and then some) in two Marvel Masterworks or one Essential book.

>90620542

Never got the hype.

vulture.com/2016/11/steve-ditko-doctor-strange-c-v-r.html

This lettering is fucking painful on the eyes.

It really is.

I'll post some more later

great but crazy

I legit just finished that and was about to look up if he was real, how nuts!

I kind of like him.

Unlike Jack Kirby's whiny fucking family, Ditko gives 0 shits about Spidercash.

I may not personally agree with his politics, but I understand and respect his position, and he sounds satisfied with his life so who give a shit.

As far as his work goes, he hasn't to my knowledge produced anything in years, and he wouldn't even want me to care about something he produced years ago, other than at the point I first encountered it and maybe if I had a really good reason to go back and read it again. Again, it's a who-cares situation.

Not really. Psychopaths don't lack the ability to empathize, they just don't do it automatically and without training usually don't see why they should, or even realize that they're not doing it. They just make the noises the other meat units make and assume that's all there is to it.

>Unlike Jack Kirby's whiny fucking family, Ditko gives 0 shits about Spidercash.
He quit Marvel over Spidercash, he just doesn't expect anything from Marvel, in part because of how they treated him and Jack.