Misunderstood genius or a hack?

Misunderstood genius or a hack?

Visionary.

Both. He's the next Kubrick

He's a hack

a hack. if you were to combine all the worst qualities of christopher nolan and michael bay, you'd get hack snyder.

I just noticed he has a lazy eye

He's never made a good movie but for some reason was hired and expected to direct sweeping billion dollar grossing ones

He's a lucky hack

It's not thaaaaaaaaat bad. Not sure why they had him sitting on the street with that "I tried :(" sign.

misunderstood hack

In the middle. He's a nice guy, and a good director, but not a genius.

Excellent visual style.
But everything else is subpar. Were he purely in charge of the visuals but with a very strong script, he would do good work.

Borderline genius

He compromised his genius to become a hack, because in Hollywood a genius might make money but a hack is guaranteed to be a millionaire.

Unironically this

Why is Zack just so awesome? Even if you hate his movies, he's such a cool dude.

>genius
He's seemed dumb in every interview I've seen him in.

He's the one of the only ones in Hollywood right now who actually cares about the craft in their superhero movie. There are a few others who did want to bring layers to their movies, but shut down by the studio, IE Marvel. Hopefully James Wan can make a good Aquaman movie.

I wonder what it would be like to hang out with Zack and be his friend

I imagine lots of weight lifting.

The most intelligent of capekinographers!

>r/superherocirclejerk

his work is some of the most sublime imagery, with beautiful sound and emotional intensity conveyed by some of the best actors of our time. It falls short of being classic because he lacks some storytelling basics that even RLM plebs can point out.

both. He makes a lot of good scenes, he has a talent for translating comics to movies. But honestly most of his movies are total shit and usually feel like a chore.

He'd make a good movie if you gave him something good to adapt. Give him any creativity and you get BVS or Sucker Punch.

Of course an Indian would make this

>Overcompensating manlet

Lacks a sense of taste and is essentially a music video/ad director that can do flashy stuff but can't do anything of actual substance.

He did well when he pretty much copied panel-by-panel 300 and The Watchmen since apart from technically converting the panels to shots he had more complicated than that to think about.

But he fundamentally doesn't get what makes a movie good or even great. He's one step above Schumacher's Batman and Robin and one step below Bay's Transformers. Sucker Punch also proves that when left to his own devices he produces pure shlock.

On an also related note he managed to halfass Superman's entire story by making a bland origin movie and then immediately in the second one he copy pastes both the death of Superman (which loses its impact since his Superman was never really his iconic self and was just frowning and moping about) and in his first Batman showing Batman is already in his DKR mode. So there's no regard for build-up and proper arcs and whatnot, he just uses whatever he thinks is cool.

>durr I no like it they must be Indian
wow very racist

Merely a coincidence

Watchmen is unironically a masterpiece
So is MoS

History will tell

Why do manlets think muscle make them look good? It looks like a buff little kid lmao

6'1 btw

THIS!

I lean towards a lucky hack.

People like to mention Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and 300 as if he wrote it, and created those from scratch. All he did was make a good on screen adaptation of them.

When given the chance to do his own stuff, not once but twice to show his "genius" and mastery filmmaking. We get Sucker Punch and BvS.

>he didn't write MoS and BvS
>he did write Justice League
Yikes.

If he could learn from the 70's suspense directors, people like Alan J. Pakula, John Schlesinger, Sidney Lumet
those serious cerebral movie makers that thrived back then, Zack would be great.
Watchmen should have been nail bitingly suspenseful, the world was on the brink of armageddon and all we got was costumes with nipples

best answer. He's certainly artistic at times, which people confuse for some sense of insight. Anything is deep if you keep digging though.

The orson welles of this gen and Bvs was his citizen kane

I simply don't get it, if you're over 20 you remember how dawn of the dead, 300 and every single of his movies were mocked endlessly by the audience, his movies were always like transformes and Pirates of caribean

Why he keep getting hired? His record is very very awful, one of the worsts of any big director, worse than fucking michael bay second critics and making fr less money.

That's the best description of Zack snyder I ever saw.

Nepotism.

“You have given them an ideal to aspire to, embodied their highest aspirations.

They will race, and stumble, and fall and crawl....and curse....and finally....

They will join you in the sun, Snyder

They will stumble, they will fall.

But in time, they will join you in the sun.

In time you will help them accomplish wonders.”

>cinematography defines a directors quality
What did the redditor mean by this?

>cinematography
Hello jajaja