Superman thread

I've read Secret Identity, Man of Steel, up uP and AWAY, For All Seasons, All Star, and am following all the current series in the Superline plus read ll the New 52

but I haven't really found any single issue that exemplifies Superman. The perfect Superman story told in a single issue It must be possible. Please share your favorite with me. From Silver Age onward, anything but I'm trying to find some perfect Superman comics. they must exist... r-right?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsalliance.com/adventures-superman-digital-comics-best-stories-list-dc/
newsarama.com/20547-adventures-of-superman-from-golden-age-to-end-times-with-keatinge-doyle-schoonover.html
comicsalliance.com/joe-keatinge-adventures-of-superman-interview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This sounds like an autistic venture

Decent single issues.
- Peace on Earth
- For the man who has everything
- Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
- What's so funny about truth, justice and the American way

Adventures of Superman #16

Action Comics #337

All Star Issue 10
The recent Superman issue at the County Fair was really wholesomely Superman

If you have not already I highly highly recommend Alan Moore's Supreme run. It is one of the greatest Superman runs of all time, sort of a pre All-Star All-Star.

Excuse my ignorance, but I was unaware that the "Adventures" series even existed in the New 52 wtf. It was an ongoing w/ Superman and Action? I stopped following N52 Superman after Morrison.

Even All Star Superman is not the definitive Superman Story.

I don't even think there is a defying comic for Superman, you just need to read the ones you like and make your own mind about what the Superman character means for you.

I love Birthright and Secret Identity, but even Secret Origins is a Must read and a very good Superman story.

Action Comics 800 is what you're asking for

Secret Origin is good but I feel like it's almost just a companion to Johns' run than truly a story on its own.

It was a digital-first series. It was an anthology, nothing to do with New 52 (even the inclusion of the N52 Superman front-and-center in this cover was just DC pushing it because it was their main Superman at the time).

It has 17 issues in print and it's collected in three volumes.

Huh, interesting, thanks, gonna find that issue.

Post feelgood Supes

99% of in continuity runs since the crisis are schlock. Read the silver age collections for the best of Superman.

This is not true at all.

What would you even say is a top tier run from any of Superman books?

Anyone happen to have a link to this issue? All I could find is this one.

That's because the links for download online are from the digital issues. The digital numbers for issue #16 (print) are #46, #47, and #48.

Morrison, Johns, Kelly (Triangle Years does make it a little awkward to jump in) for good ones.
Average runs too like Busiek and Pak. Time-wise that's like half of post-Crisis right there as far as Clark-starring stuff goes.

The idea that Superman doesn't have readable modern runs is mostly a meme.

Thanks

These are all great picks.
All-Star Superman #10
There is also a 2 page story where Superman takes out Stalin and Hitler, which is great.
Superman #7 (the recent one) was also a great read.

For the Man Who Has Everything has, page for page per capita, the most content for a superman fan.

there isnt something like this.

You build up what superman should be, you decide that.

To me for example the next to what superman should be is the new 52.

It called Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow

>Morrison
too short
>Johns
I wouldn't call anything written by Johns as great
>Kelly
Hit and miss, with the bad ones being really bad. Half of it was a part of the worst part of triangle era.

The only things that would be counted as great or close to great after the crisis are first half of Byrne's run and Morrison's.

It's true when the best Superman run is not even officially Superman, and DC couldn't give us a run at this level.

Millar's Superman adventures, especially the one in the pic and

The pic is Superman adventures #36

It was storytimed recently and I was pretty impressed with it. The fact that they never gave Millar an actual mainline Superman comic to write is a fucking travesty.

ignore the art

You need to check out the Digital First series, Adventures of Superman (also knows as AoS v2 in some places.

They are standalone stories, some running 1, 2 or 3 issues (and smaller than most regular floppies. All the stories are collected in three trades.

I've only read the Byrne run immediately after CoIE, and everything from One Year Later till now
what are some decent, but not great runs?
I don't want anything groundbreaking, just fun Superman comics to binge read
I refuse to believe there wasn't anything semi-readable for twenty fucking years

Most of it wasn't unreadable, but it wasn't great either. Just continue after Byrne's run, and stop when it gets boring to you.

I'm going to follow the sun

Action Comics #0

which ones the best?

is this series any good or was too much credit given to it due new 52 superman being around at the time?

what's the reason it will never be reprinted?

whats this?

Vol. 1 has good entry level stories, but I think Vol. 3 had the best stories overall.

This is a decent list:
comicsalliance.com/adventures-superman-digital-comics-best-stories-list-dc/

I agree that Only Child and Flowers for Bizarro are excellent, but I would have included the OMAC story drawn by Steve Rude and written by Jerry Ordway that ended the series in a top 10 list, and most importantly, would have included Strange Visitor by Jon Keatingem which was story-times on here about a month or so ago. Unfortunately, the Desu archive is 404ing at the moment, so I can't point you to that thread, but it got written up all over the place when it first came out:

newsarama.com/20547-adventures-of-superman-from-golden-age-to-end-times-with-keatinge-doyle-schoonover.html

comicsalliance.com/joe-keatinge-adventures-of-superman-interview/

I'd highly recommend them. You can find the digital first on CMX for .99 each.

It's fanart but it always makes me smile.

It's a little inconsistent, like anthologies usually are. Ultimately, I think it does its job to entertain, with some really good stories.

The one posted is truly amazing. The Kelly Sue DeConnick's Valentine story was very charming and so was the one with the clearly-although-not-named Iron Giant.

I'd avoid the Max Landis' Joker story like plague, tho.

jla new world order

It stands for Superbro.

What's this from?