Hey...

Hey, Sup Forums! I'm here to ask you to call me a faggot and suggest me a cartoon to watch - preferably in the reversed order.
Here's what my current preferences (as in shows I've watched so far) are, so you can call me a faggot for them too (and possibly suggest something that'll work similarly)

>MLP (it's not a bait post, albeit I'm hoping)
I love it - that's about it. Or I can go for too long explaining why - which no one wants to hear so I'll just use it as my baseline for my opinion on other shows I've watched.
>Star VS
Season 1 was pretty weird when it did the opposite of Steven Universe (about that later) and started great from a bunch of meaningless but genuinely funny standalone episodes and ended up pretty mediocre when it got in some plot. Season 2, however, was pretty damn majestic and I loved it. IMO it does standalone episodes worse than MLP yet still they are far from being bad. The show fully uses its advantage of not being oriented on literal kids and implements continuity brilliantly. The foreground characters are sadly few in number but they are greatly written and fleshed out. The music is pretty meh, though. OP and ED are decent, but that's about it.
>Rick and Morty
Hard to fit in here for me as it's not MLP in slightest. For me, it works mainly because it's pretty dynamic and unpredictable so it doesn't get boring. Humor is pretty damn good - I like this particular style. #deep moments aren't forced and implemented neatly giving a nice breather from "lolrandumbbutwithswearing".
>Steven Universe
I like it. It has started pretty bad, it still has awful standalone episodes, but it does awesome work in the continuity department - mild and obvious. Main lead being not manly hits the strings of animes and whiny main characters somewhere deep inside me, but Steven constantly showing self-overcoming and growth makes that a good thing. In-show songs are "okay" at best, but the usage of music is good.

So, can I have some suggestions, Sup Forums? Please?
>inb4 kys

I'm sorry, reversed order?

Samurai Jack returns today as a serialized miniseries, would be a good time to get a feel for some of the original episodes
Futurama is the godfather of R&M, especially its later seasons
ATLA and OTGW are Sup Forums-required material
WOY does the SU bit of pacifist protag redeeming the bad guy during space adventures, and its musical episode is the peak of the series
GF I think fits most what you like from MLP, fun standalones with big plot moments later

Thank you, user!

>Samurai Jack
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Samurai Jack and I did consider watching it. The only thing that bothers me is that it comes from the early 2000s which were a time when I really didn't like western cartoon format (as in most of the western cartoon TV shows) - for example, I don't like Teen Titans but consider Young Justice to be amazing. However, I do like Justice League TV show which was released during the same timeframe.
Do old Samurai Jack episodes hold up to the current cartoons if we throw the nostalgia factor out of the window?
>Futurama
I've seen the most of Futurama it's pretty good.
>ATLA and OTGW
I've seen like one-third/a half of Avatar and I admit it is good, but this kind of a story I prefer to get from my animes and mangos.
I will look up Over The Garden Wall - thank you!
>WOY and GF
I've started GF previously and I've seen a bit of WOY (and fell in love with Lord Dominator) - these are both good shows in the style I indeed enjoy, however, I've heard they both got bad finales (with WOY being canceled). How bad is it exactly?

>OTGW
>Sup Forums-required material
u w0t m8

"bad finale" is an understatement for the trainwreck that is alex hirsch's writing, GF is good if you like massive copouts and wasted potential

YOU ARE ONE MIGHTY BIG FAGGOT, user
KYS

you should watch the cartoon titled "How to be a respectable human being and not have shit taste"
Since you have taste, go watch Wakfu it has shitty writing and only appeals to the lower element aka u lol

since you have **shit taste

please please excuse me I almost implied that Steven Universe was a good show

damn just typing "good show" and Steven Universe in the same sentence makes me want to kill myself

>GF is good if you like massive copouts and wasted potential
ayy. I can be fine with a mediocre finale when it accomplishes the mission of saying a proper "farewell" to the viewer, and you are really scaring me with that remark.
>YOU ARE ONE MIGHTY BIG
4U
>Wakfu
I've actually tried it once. Art is good, but it's not my cup of tea.
>Steven Universe
Being cheeky, ain't we?

I think you'd like Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse.
And no, that's not a joke.

>What's this?
>Who cares? POOL IT!
I... I might be returning to this from time to time.

>Star VS
>The music is pretty meh

>rec-fagging
Kill yourself.

You actually think 2010s series have anything on 2000s series? For the record, I didn't even know *of* many of the 2000s series that are now my favourite cartoons of all time, so it's NOT nostalgia - the key difference is that 2000s shows generally had actual effort poured into them, while 2010s shows mostly don't.

>I can be fine with a mediocre finale when it accomplishes the mission of saying a proper "farewell"
It does, and it's mostly satisfying. Sup Forums is just salty as usual.

Sup Forums pls go

The whole OST the show has is completely forgettable - the only time I was somewhat impressed was during the first part of Star's Princess Song. It does the job, but I've never caught myself being focused on the music - which is my pretty much only criteria for judging music in such shows.
Sure thing, darling.
That's at least how I see it - based on both my memories of these years (when I was TA for these cartoons) and on how I see them nowadays when I actually got into western cartoons.

To clarify about 2000s shows, it often feels almost as if you're watching the writer's thoughts or something. I *rarely* get that with new toons.

Fuck off. Rec-fagging is killing this board by letting in casuals who don't actually care about the material. But I guess Sup Forums is way too busy talking about live action to be concerned with that.

We might enjoy different things in cartoons - my favorite show is a huge toy commercial after all.

I feel that modern shows are better at sustaining continuity through series, developing characters and sending messages with just the right level of subtleness - not plainly obvious so it feels like shoved into your face, but not too hidden so you question its necessity. The second season of Star VS did a great job with these messages.

>Star vs.
>The music is pretty meh
pick one

Modern cartoons tend to have *more* continuity, but also *worse* continuity. The admittedly few old toons with continuity tended to have long-term progression of both storyline and character development, while still remaining episodic enough that each individual episode remained enjoyable. New toons tend to just throw in random (and self-aware) references for long-time viewers instead, and often have long stretches of low-quality filler.

Again, this is obviously a generalization, but there are very few counterexamples from what I'm aware of.