What is it exactly that makes these fuckers so damn charming?

What is it exactly that makes these fuckers so damn charming?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7wE2dVQBXe0
youtube.com/watch?v=kI-FxbJ8g1k
youtu.be/Wu7A_1j2gE0
youtu.be/SaqasG5bPRc?t=2m11s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Robotnik is a sexy big guy

SCROUNDER

They're basically more entertaining than the main protagonists themselves. Also, this was the best cartoon Eggman before Boom.

>flawed
>charisma
>entertaining chemistry between the group
Basically the opposite of Sonic

Robotnik is a chubby chaser's wet dream.
His two minions are cucks.
Typical marriage dynamic.

Chemistry, distinction, and wit.

Each one of them has their own syntax, rhythm of speaking, and thought process. You always know how they say things and what feels right for them to say, but you can't actually predict what they're going to say most of the time. They have distinct problems and can act as foils to each other easily. They're just really well rounded characters.

The writing's hokey, but on point and more of a throwback to the classics than anything. It's the same reason Gallagher and DeCesare's comics were so entertaining; they're based on old hits, Golden and Silver Age comedy comics and Mad Magazine in their case.

Robotnik's performance is fantastic

UUUU

The screaming trilling voice of a pissed off homosexual english crooner.

Robotnik isn't really very evil, he's more a "villain for the sake of being a villain" kind of guy, which I think fits more with the premise of Sonic than the actual Robotnik from the games.
>Game 1: kidnapping animals
>Game 2: kidnapping animals and making a starbase as a center of operations
>Game 2.5: building a robot duplicate of rival
>Game 3: building the fucking Death Star
I don't think they ever should have tried to make him into some sort of serious villain, because his whole concept, fat man inspired by eggs, is inherently goofy.
youtube.com/watch?v=7wE2dVQBXe0

Scratch and Grounder are just sort of comically inept. Usually moron characters are unlikable because they're also selfish pricks, so the idiocy just serves to make them more unlikable than they already would be. Scratch and Grounder are selfish dickheads too, but they're just SO dumb that they become harmless, which is endearing. You want to see them succeed because you don't want to see them get yelled at by Robotnik.

On top of all that, Sonic and Tails just aren't likable protagonists. Sonic is kind of an obnoxious shithead in AoStH, and Tails is a four year old.

This, the writers based them off Abbott and Costello, and/or the Three Stooges when with Coconuts.

It's kind of why Coconuts doesn't work sometimes. He's essentially Moe, but you also have Robotnik so he doesn't mesh entirely well.

I think Coconuts is my favourite because he's both the smartest (sort of) and the most eager, yet also the most bullied.

Plus he's adorable

In my personal opinion, Robotnik has pulled off goofy AND intimidating extremely well.
youtube.com/watch?v=kI-FxbJ8g1k

The only good parts of SatAM are the ones where they're playing it tongue in cheek.

Shame that's a collective five minutes over the entire series.

I'm a bigger fan of AoSTH than SatAM too, but I don't really agree.

They're family.

I fucking love Snively

One of these days I need to start reading the comics again.

Robotnik had some golden pipes doing the voicework.

I feel like any VA of Robotnik/eggman is the only person who gives 200% a shit at what they do.

youtu.be/Wu7A_1j2gE0

And he sounded like he was having a blast with the role.

As far as Eggman minions go, these guys are really great. Doubly better than the rip-offs that were in Sonic X and the games later on.

>implying anything can top cartoon Robotnik

I don't know, Mike does such an amazing job with Eggman now, I'd say it's fair to say they're on the same level. Both are god tier.

Snively

Yeah Sonic was just like the most impatient prick, and I get i he's fast but goddamn.

>On top of all that, Sonic and Tails just aren't likable protagonists. Sonic is kind of an obnoxious shithead in AoStH, and Tails is a four year old.
I actually think it's written well enough in a way where kids can gladly get behind Sonic & Tails while adults might find Robotnik to be more likable

I loved Sonic's attitude in a kind of Bugs Bunny way when I was younger.

The words of an underage.

The bumbling boss and the skinny and fat bumbling henchmen is a classic comedy trope going back years and years.

Charlie Adler should've done more voice work

I would give anything to have Snively voiced by Adler in an main Sonic game

Its the theme music. The Robotnik theme from AoSTH has been burned into my head since I was 6 and I hear it everyday

In recent years he's mostly a director

Robotnik's design.

PINGAS

I wish there were more animated women with this body type

Robotnik is the highlight of every Sonic cartoon. Prove me wrong you can't

Thanks for sharing, Captain Autism.

>tfw the comic might be cancelled

That's Lieutenant to you, private.

Really sucks. The future looked so bright after the first MegaMan crossover, it's a shame Archie had to fuck themselves over so hard with their finance incompetence.

haha

it was still a thing?

The Riverdale TV show is the only financial string they have on their failing ship to a life raft.

Scratch/Grounder > Cubot/Orbot > Grimer> Snively > Sleet/Dingo (literally only maurice lamarche saves this) >decoe/bocoe

Comic confirmed on hiatus due to archie spending all it's time focusing on Riverdale. It's not dead, they just literally can't handle two things at the same time.

There have been several godtier Robotnik VA's. To deny this makes you sound more out of touch than him underage.

>cucks
That doesn't make any sense.

What's your favorite episode?

>Comic confirmed on hiatus due to archie spending all it's time focusing on Riverdale
>they just literally can't handle two things at the same time
Sounds like a load of bullshit.

It's what I'd call the Robbie Rotten effect. The villain in a kids show who becomes way more popular than the bland hero because of them being allowed to have a personality (and for the writers to have fun with him). It happens a lot actually (Wile E Coyote was this to an extent even if he wasn't the villain)

Robotnik is easily the most interesting character in the show and it's pretty obvious the people behind it thought so too, considering he and his goons get almost as much screentime, if not more, than Sonic. Kids can laugh and admire Sonic, but everyone else watching it is doing so to laugh at the obese and cartoony Robotnik ham his way through stupid schemes and fail at every one of them.

And it helps that his voice actor is just extremely talented and had fun with the role. Picking Long John Baldry to voice him out of all characters was a weird choice but it worked spectacularly well. It's like when Batman TAS picked Paul Williams to voice The Penguin. It sounds weird and unfitting at first but it ends up doing wonders for the character.

Honestly Robotnik/Eggman has always been the best character of any Sonic thing he's been in.

So I guess picking talented musicians to voice fat cartoony villains ends up being a good thing.

'Fat Woman' is like one of the most basic stock characters in cartoons.

>Ass Wipe.gif

That was a God tier arc.

He was literally designed as 'the sexiest fat man alive'. At least in his own mind he is, and he acts like it.

Is that Mama Robotnik?

Yes

>Wile E Coyote was this to an extent even if he wasn't the villain
If I recall correctly, the design was intentional in this case. You were meant to empathize with the struggles of this mundane creature that never gave up, and the Roadrunner embodied the nebulous sense of adversity or a goal one would never achieve. There were some strict design rules for what should never happen in an episode to help enforce this. Like, say, expanding on who or what the Road Runner is.

I would make out with Scratch.

One thing they've gotten right in the comics is that under that buffoonish exterior and all the egg-themed nonsense, Robotnik is ACTUALLY extremely dangerous.

It's not even that he's dangerous to mobians, he has no respect for human lives either.

Decoe and Bocoe are utterly forgettable. When did they even do anything funny?

There's something about that guy...

Sonic underground

Everyone forgets the part that they are technically brothers.

youtu.be/SaqasG5bPRc?t=2m11s

I'm glad Sonic X at least had this adorable little shit around on Eggman's side.

>Robotnik is ACTUALLY extremely dangerous.
Both right and wrong. They've got that he's competent, but often forget that he's also overconfident.

After all these years, I never realized he was supposed to resemble a mole, what the fuck.

He isn't

He's a Grounder from Sonic 2

Oh, since Coconut and Scratch were based on a monkey and a chicken, I assumed Grounder would resemble an animal that I couldn't put my finger on.

Oh well, thanks for the clearance, user.

Well, the robot from the game may be based off a mole, I just don't see it myself.

It's a tried and true way to make comedic villains.

I've had this stupid idea for a webcomic.
One day, with a jolt of lightning, Grounder wakes up to find himself at the robot cemetary/junkyard, and rusty Scratch is in a stanby alongside him. The rain ends and they go out into the outer world only to find that the things have changed.
No plot retellings, because screw that; instead it's stories about them trying to get back into the game in stupid and ridiculous ways and getting introduced to the accumulated game cast semi-randomly.
Coconuts is a prized janitor in some city, as it appears he likes the job when it's not all crud and sludge, and demotions.

Glad to hear he's doing something.

I think it probably is, since they're all animal themed anyway.

Well, except Orbinaut I guess.

That sounds like a good idea.
In fact, I'm surpised it hasn't already been done as a sprite comic.

They beat the crap out of one of the season three villains.
I am dead serious.

>jolt of lighting

Scratch and Grounder are definitely my favourite of the henchman duos of the series. Though nearly all of them have the dumb one/smart one dynamic, in their case it's "dumb one and slightly less dumb one". But not do they make that work, they also have things to offset their competence. Scratch is the smarter one but doesn't have any way of defending himself while Grounder has a huge array of weapons and utensils to offset his dopiness.

I always liked the idea of them transplanting the cartoon characters into the main universe somehow.

>doesn't have any way of defending himself
But he's A BLACKBELT, DAAAH!

me too, I always wished they brought him to the games

Snively = Scratch and Grounder > Decoe and Bocoe > Fucking garbage > Sleet and Dingo

They also have robotic "invulnerability" to recover once reassembled even when blown to pieces.
Good to see that. Maybe I should make short scripts first. For example, the intro can go like this:
>Scratch and Grounder try to walk into a new Eggman's citadel for a talk to get hired back, only to realize that the defence system doesn't recognise them and won't let them in
>with all their dim wit and clumsy cunning they bypass the defences only to encounter having their "rightful place" taken by Orbot and Cubot
>during the heated debate, Eggman appears and explains the state of affairs
>"See, you're way, way behind the times! Back in the day, they were only two: Sonic and Tails. Nowadays, there's-"
>"We can take on three! Four, even!"
>Eggman laughs; Orbot and Cubot echo him
>"Why, won't you take a look at... this!"
>assorted badnik destruction montage plays on a screen, showcasting completely new and unfamiliar threats to the duo, comments optional
>"And my rodent rivals didn't just stand there doing nothing all these years, unlike you two. I had to expand my game, but even my best creation - not you! - Metal Sonic gets blown to pieces every couple of months. That, and four metal morons at once would be unbearable. Scram!"
Thus begins the quest of S&G to "prove themselves".