What was it about the 5th Element that worked, that was missing in Valerian?

What was it about the 5th Element that worked, that was missing in Valerian?

Originality.
fifth element was hyp and blended action, sci fi and comedy well. It was a light hearted futuristic movie that wasn't pure cyberpunk shit, it was fresh and new.

Valerian happened after the superhero bubble and Avatar so people have seen it all already. Fuck like theres also already that other movie with a boy and a girl in a futuristic space station saving the world that I forgot about.

A good cast.

Gary Oldman and a tight eastern European

I'm gonna go with the story
in the 5th Element, you had motivations and clear goals from beginning to end
in Valarian, the characters just kind of stumbled from one mess into another. That sh*t got tiresome very quick

I want to punch Cara Delevingne in her busted, shovel-looking face.

Charm, memorable characters and fun

I want to say this.

Bruce Willis never made a bad movie.

Well, for starters, Fifth Element had Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Chris Tucker, and a french supermodel who took off her clothes a lot.

It's also a more interesting setting, with cool action, a lot of charm and jokes and a basic, easy to understand plot that you don't really need to think about too much. It's a very entertaining movie that doesn't waste your time.

Human. Heart. Horny.

Pick one.

The problem many modern movies have is they start with an idea of setting and look instead of the story.

The setting of Valerian was good, I liked the universe they built up and 5th Element is loosely based off the same comic Valerian is from so they aren't that different.

>Kevin Smith Presents: Tracy Morgan and Bruce Willis Are Bolis Cops :DDD
>Look who's talking too
>Die Hard 7: Die Hardest (any die hard film after the trilogy)

Everything else is great cinema

I haven't read the comic so I wouldn't know about that, but as far as the movies go, Fifth Element is definitely a better movie than Valerian.

Dane DeHaan was a fucking horrible choice for Valerian

The irony is that Valerian the comic was one of the pioneer series of SF in Europe and in fact many things in it inspired others and ended up recycled in popular movies.

... but this movie came too late. Valerian isn't well known anymore even in France and too many movies explored the theme. even tho its almost capeshit in space.

>5th element
>good
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no sweetie it was bad

Bruce Wiliis' charisma, Gary Oldman's talent, and Mila Jovavich's casual nudity

Charm. Dane Dehaan is somehow an even less talented actor than Cara. Every line he has is delivered with some weird breathiness that makes him sound like he's in a school play. In fact, nearly every actor in the film seemed like they were college students doing a shitty indie filml except for maybe the effeminate British general who had pretty good delivery.

This.

It should have be made clearer that the film was actually about the orb people. It's about halfway through the movie before we actually start talking about them

Fifth Element was an exploration of a big crazy universe.

Valerian was running errands back and forth until the film ended in the same place it began like all movies do now for some reason.

Two words: young adult.

The cast.

>I fuck RT in their asses

Solid lead casting choices. God-tier editing.

Apply those to Valerian and it would be almost as good.

More like Bruce Willis hasn't been in a good movie since 16 Blocks which is like a decade ago. No offense I love this guy and he is probably in my top 5 of my all time favorite actors but it's obvious he simply doesn't care anymore like so many old dogs in Hollywood.

5th element had fun and loveable characters with clear personalities and motivations.
Also even though the aesthtic isn't revolutionary, it was quite different from most sci-fi flicks of its time, whereas Valerian is right between nu-trek and guardians of the galaxy in the lands of forgettable generic sci-fi trash with flashy colors and no lore.

no feminist/sjw propaganda

Likeable female lead
Good set design

Bruce Willis was perfect for this role. His nonchalant attitude about everything going on was on point.

This movie had Gary Oldman as the antagonist as well as Ian Holm. There was a lot to enjoy. They even made room for Luke Perry in a minor role.

Valerian didn't interest me, and they have the bad luck of being ripped off by George Lucas with Star Wars.

Does the Valerian movie end with Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovitch fucking in a capsule in front of scientists and the world leaders after they saved the universe or whatever?

Because if it doesn't then Fifth Element is definitely better.

You got your Rush Hour in my Die Hard.

They should have just done a fucking sequel.

Leeloo went on an alien pilgrimage (so she's not in the film) and Korben needs Ruby's help with some shenanigans.

Don't forget this guy

>taking RT at heart
>a 1999 movie with 14 reviews
You are the caner of Sup Forums

an attractive woman.

>falling for obvious bait

Dane isn't ugly

Dude, it's a lazy shoop. Look at the consensus.

nostalgia.

the fif element was trash, objectively speaking

SPBP

man that looked like a man and the leads can act

Fun
Charismatic actors
Directorial flair
Absence of an agenda

Same as why Star Wars worked. People like Rip-Offs better than originals. Spoiler : they are both were influenced by Valerian comics.

That's why Robocop became huge franchise, while Judge Dredd barely can make 3rd live action installment.

cast
story

Fuck you

I wouldn't say Valerian didn't work, would have been an amazing movie if you had more fitting actors. It was just stuck in a bad place because its hard to find young actors now who could compare to Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich.

Good actors and actresses.

Don't act like the cast of Valerian impressed anyone.

It was goofy enough that she worked desu