Why aren't kids cartoons funny anymore?

Why aren't kids cartoons funny anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sc1QHOvS_G0
youtube.com/watch?v=j9BZJZHMdEE
youtube.com/watch?v=aPF5eEziLZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they never were

Because cartoons nowadays are made by late 20s to 30s people who grew up in the suburbs their whole lives. Also many of them are SJWs so they make the most inoffensive """"humor"""" as to not make anyone upset.

Gumball is the only funny cartoon on right now because it's not made by the above.

Because you're not a kid

it's you can't use sarcasm or mean things anymore, so it's toddler shit like "omg that adult did something my dad didn't like haha"

Objectively wrong

>it's you can't use sarcasm or mean things anymore
Lol what

youtube.com/watch?v=sc1QHOvS_G0

These.

That actually hurt to watch, only cause the same shit happened to me. Fuck the older kids at Eliza Hamilton's
>inb4 LOL ORFIN

This

They are.

Just not Steven Universe.

You're looking in the wrong places

Because more and more are being made by emotionally crippled young adults for emotionally crippled young adults

S2 Gumball ended long time ago so OP is right. Kids cartoons are not funny anymore.

>le gumball is shit now maymay

Steven universe is the pussy of pussy shows
Good slapstick was already missing from adventure Time but It still managed a couple times plus half of it is the art style
But su is this passive feel good femenine shit so when a character gets hurt I expect crying I don't expect it to be a joke
It's like the big abng theory when Sheldon plays Mario on a poorly coded emulator. The sound effects are the only reason I know they attempted a joke

>Rewatch some clip from Dexter's lab on YouTube
>Laugh my ass off
It's wierd how shows that are now old as fuck manage to be funnier than anything made in the last ten years

YOU GREW UP CARTOONS ARE THE SAME AS THEYVE ALWAYS BEEN REEEEEEE

Because Steven Universe isn't primarily a comedy show, not every single kids cartoon is supposed to be one, especially not Steven Universe.

it's funny how anons in this thread are speaking about the humor in cartoons now as if they're going out of their way to not be offensive, but were most kids cartoons ever as offensive as you people want cartoons to be now? Spongebob manages to hold up while having humor accessible to anyone. If you want gratuitous offensive humor then maybe Family Guy might be right up your alley

I find the equine-centered one funny.

It's also funny how these idiots are probably harkening back to the days of Looney Tunes, not realizing those were ADULT cartoons of their day when they came out, they were for movie theaters which children weren't even allowed in in those days

It's not about being offensive it's about being passive and correct and appeal to all ages below 8
Some of the funniest shows were never offensive, the Simpsons were rarely offensive
They still showed characters that felt real and before you go retarded on me characters in Futurama and even SpongeBob feel more real than characters in Steven universe
It's a show with no drama but the characters cry in half the episodes explain that to me

This is a gross misrepresentation of the truth, there is more violence and comedy In the original Disney Mickey, Donald and goofy comics made strictly for kids Wich came before and spired the Looney tunes than there is in any of the current shows
Also the Looney tunes was for all ages

There is drama, there's quite a bit of it, actually. The best episodes in the series are the ones with some character conflict.
The crying thing is an exaggeration, so much so to the point where the show has made jokes about them crying. Have you even seen it?

>Women have no right in republic of people
Cracks me up every time.

>Steven Universe isn't a comedy maymay

So then why do a majority of episodes primarily focus on comedy plots and heavily feature "humor"?

>the Gumball is a good show meme

Sad, the only thing noteworthy about it is the mesh of designs. Otherwise it's yet another show with a dumb dad, a bossy mom, a weird son and smart daughter

It's not just bad, it's boring

>I judge shows based off of general premises

Name five that entirely revolve around comedy. Humor exists in Steven Universe but unlike other cartoons it is not the main focus of the show. Either you haven't seen most of it or you're completely misinterpreting the show.

First of all, slapstick is out of date...it's just seen as stupid these days, the same way Andrew Dice Clay or Louie Anderson or other 80s comics aren't considered "funny" by most people today, trends change man that's just how it goes

Slapstick is not what people find funny these days, it's seen as old hat, hackneyed, etc, because it's been done to death....that being said, if you think it doesn't exist at all in todays cartoons, you aren't watching very many of them because plenty of shows have remnants of old school cartoon humor and slapstick, it's just not the focal point because it's been done before

If you wanna watch Looney Tunes just watch Looney Tunes, nothing is ever going to top it....it's like bands that try to be retro, there are a million bands trying to sound like Black Sabbath these days, none are ever going to be better or get the same recognition

>Humor exists in Steven Universe

Cheeseburger Backpack
Arcade Mania
Keep Beach City Weird
Hit the Diamond
Shirt Club
Love Letters

Off the top of my head

Oh no the girl that makes pizza has a problem with the sister who I didn't remember she had
Like the episode were Ruby and Sapphire deal with date rape?
I disagree all the best episodes take place before the show starts dealing with heavy drama
>It's OK if the show admits it's bad
It's not
There are two kinds of episodes. The everything is good episode that resembles baby television and the oh no everything is bad episode that could put a soap opera to shame
And the show jumps between them like a college girl with bipolar disorder jumps from sleeping around with ten guys to posting Instagrams about cutting herself
It's fucking bizzare, the people making this are fucking bizzare, the people watching this is fucking bizzare
It's like stepping into a world were people wear shoes in their heads

Wathever it's the focus of not it's irrelevant
The fact that they accept it often and fail horribly speaks tons on how badly written the characters are

Bismuth? Mr. Greg? Sworn to the Sword? Full Disclosure, Gem Harvest, Message Received, Steven's Dream, Storm in the Room, Mindful Education. All great episodes with character conflict. But that's besides the point, you said there was no drama when that is not the case, and you just admitted it.

And um, the show making jokes about the crying isn't an admitting that it's bad. What the hell are you talking about?

>Slapstick is out of date
But 90% of the jokes in Steven universe are slapstick and they all suck
Wathever it's current or not has nothing to do with the argument tho, Looney tunes had elapsing and it's still funny today. Personally I believe slapstick isn't funny because there aren't any animators around capable of doing it right but that's another argument
I don't want to watch Looney tunes, I want to watch Steven universe but every new episode is written better not worse
I want it to be at least half a second good as it was in season one

>why isn't SU funny?
FTFY

SU isn't made for kids. Its made by manchildren for other manchildren who can't watch a cartoon unless it has a plot or "deep lore"

No one would watch SU if it wasn't for its "plot" which is loosely strung together and taking too long to finish. I'm not even sure if most kids growing up now even like SU.

Adventure Time started as a funny cartoon and then it sunk into that "MUH LORE" pit and is just now pulling itself back out

>Mr. Greg? Sworn to the Sword?

No, these episodes were shit because it's the same "Pearl has a Rose break down" plot that they already did about five times before. Rose's Scabbard should have been the last episode with her like that.

You just named some of the worst episodes in the show thank you
Mr Greg seriously?
Poochie?
Pearl fucks everything up again?
I mean, if your point was to tell me you are a retard there are faster ways

Mr. Greg serves a completely different purpose than Rose's Scabbard, to resolve the ongoing conflict between Pearl and Greg. While Pearl's behavior is heavily influenced by Rose in Sworn to the Sword, they also do something new with that aspect of her character. Do you want her to get over it in one episode? Is that good character arc to you?

Because comedy is generally about pointing out the mistakes in people.
With more and more shows like Steven Universe that are all about acceptance and forgiveness there's not much room for comedy.

It has neither a plot nor deep lore

They were never funny. 90s grossout humor was a scourge on animation.

>DURHURR BOOGERS FARTS AND SHOWING YOUR BUTT ARE FUNNAY

A good character arc doesn't introduce a conflict then turn it into a formula

>Mr. Greg serves a completely different purpose
While exploiting the same shitty character traits that came out of nowhere and accomplish nothing more than make me really fucking tired of a previously good character I looked forward to watching on TV?
>Something new
Wants new? Singing? Dancing? Being a bitch for no reason at all?

But it's not a formula, there is a different conflict each time and there is progress.

I've actually watched the shit, user, it's not just a kneejerk reaction

Nicole and Richard suck in particular because they're just one-dimensional exaggerations of the smart mom/dumb dad routine with no nuance, no twists, nothing

If you killed off Richard, Gumball and Anais and just had the show be about this bitchy cat lady adopting a high spirited talking fish boy, it MIGHT be decent

Hey there Mr enter, still fighting that autism I see

>implying edd ed n eddy isnt a pinnacle of cartoon humor

youtube.com/watch?v=j9BZJZHMdEE

There is also a different conflict every time to Barney the dinasour or the Teletubbies. They all play the same

Cartoons were never funny
You just had shit humor

That was just painful to watch.

>there is a different conflict each time

>wahhh rose is dead
>wahhh rose is dead
>wahhh rose is dead and its Gregs fault

Wow how unique and different

The same shitty character traits such as...
Sworn to the Sword had Pearl project herself on to Connie, exploring what kind of effect this has on Connie.

Nice strawman argumentâ„¢
nice frogpost

Oh look a show with better animation, writing, consitency, jokes and characters than Steven universe

Post is dubs, so it must be true.

Being a bitch for no reason and muh rose
Sworn to the sword is the episode that manages to get the furthest away from it but it's still pearl being a bitch to a character that doesn't deserve it because muh rose
That's what happens when you don't have a plot or a villain. You end up turning your own protagonists into villains to make some sorth of plot

You know it's true

This stuff is sort of the result of having these things called characters.

To Dr for the thread even if Steven universe isn't comedy centric it should still be able to make you laugh and you can't claim that they never try to make you laugh because there are some clear attempts at comedy that fall completely flat

And it isn't some irrelevant fact either. A character that can't make you laugh isn't a good character or isn't being written well even if it isn't a comedy

They used to feel like characters
Now they feel like tools for filling air time
Mostly because they are written as such but also because they go unused as often as they can to save money in voice actors
Steven universe sure is a cheap show

The cartoons are the same but the mind is different.

Maybe not for a manchild like you, though.

>something has to be "offensive" to be funny
you are 12

>t. person who has never watched the original Rocky and bullwinkle

Jesus Christ. Savage. Why do people hate this show again?

Kids cartoons aren't really made for kids though. The target audience are hipsters

How about you prove me wrong with words instead of the brain Boogeyman
I give you the first one
Pretty much any show were the characters aren't 5 heads tall in one scene and two heads tall in the next has better animation than Steven universe

I still can't believe that tumblr thinks Steven is a good example of how children really behave
I can tell there isn't a single woman in Tumblr with actual children of her own

>X character has random mood swing
>It gets resolved with them crying

What's up with that? I didn't watch gumball for over a year, then caught up on the episodes and the show was still very funny.

To name one example, I'd say Star vs. the Forces of Evil is pretty good. Provided it has become less of a comedy-based show nowadays, but newer episodes still have pretty good humor.

>The cartoons are the same
>this meme again

Please explain to me how the writing hasn't changed.

Steven Universe, created by women, unfunny.

Gumball, created by Britbongs, unfunny.

Loud House, created by men about women, funny.

Very simple to understand if you know comedy.

>he thinks offensive means something vulgar

Read a book

I love SvtFOE, but it can be painfully unfunny at times.the best episodes all have very little humor.

>he thinks he has reading comprehension

that's the issue.

It thinks it does, but it doesn't

Who are you quoting?

Isn't a larger complaint about cartoons is that they're all comedies?

>Humans for generations have found slapstick funny
>This guy suddenly thinks this new generation of children hate it

You fucking high, dude?

Robin's the best TTGO character

>loud house
>funny

I watched the episode with the gum and couldn't stand a single second of it.

lets compare it with invader zim for obvious reasons
invader zim has
-comedy
and i dont mean random XD
-action
-plot
-can have good lore when they want to
here is what invader zim doesnt have
-20 useless characters
-filler
-agenda

>Loud House, created by men about women, funny.
If this shitshow is considered funny, then we are truly living in the darkest age of animation.
I am not defending other shows though. It's just that everything is so fucking terrible. I can see why people desperately wish for TLH to be a good show, but don't kid yourself. If you enter the bargaining stage, they will stop trying.

KEK has spoken!

Pretty much all popular cartoons these days have slapstick, but it isn't the central focus of the show, because THAT has been done to death and is old hat

You're never going to be better than Looney Tune or Tom and Jerry, and we DO NOT need a new Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry anymore than we need a new fucking Dice Clay, trends move for a reason

Even my kids thought this was a dick move.
They actually stopped watching it on their own, I'm so proud

Right? The majority of DreamWorks movies are proof positive you can coast on slapstick.

And even Sup Forumsmrades, who prattle on and on about how cartoons aren't just for kids, wouldn't be caught dead watching Madagascar, so you know it's mostly parents being forced to watch them by their spawn

Slapstick is one of the few types of comedy that IS universal, as evidenced by the fact that Nippon loves the shit out of Tom and Jerry

because it takes a lot of talent to be able to animate the expressions and reactions necesary for the characters to make slapstick work
and thats talent thats non existant today, there isnt a single animator outside of maybe jhon k capable of that

Loud House is hit or miss but a few of its episodes have genuinely made me laugh. There's a lot of random crude humor thrown in there (Lynn telling Lincoln that there's a "lack of balls" in his room and then clarifying it by saying "soccer balls, footballs, etc.") and some adult jokes (the kids overhearing the parents talking about leaving a "bun in the oven" and the kids freaking out even though they were literally talking about buns in an oven). It reminds me a lot of old cartoons that could be funny for both age demographics.

You're just not watching the right cartoons:

youtube.com/watch?v=aPF5eEziLZk

I don't know about that, but even if you were right it doesn't change my point. Today a show focusing 100 percent around slapstick would be seen as hackneyed and would just be an imitation of what has already been done a million times

Story driven and character driven shit is in these days for a reason, it's hardly been touched before in kids shows and that means it can be new and exciting rather than pale imitations of past trends, nobody needs a new Tom and Jerry because Tom and Jerry already exists, something like MLP FIM for example has a good amount of slapstick thrown into the mix but it's not the core focus, and it's not just because "lol they just cant do it these days"

They could, the 90s were full of shows trying to rip off old formulas, they were all drab and became forgotten

Star vs is legitimately the best blend of humor and story out there right now.
And a hidden 3rd ingredient of waifu's.

>Gumball, created by Britbongs, unfunny.
How fucking dare you even compare Gumball to SU in levels of comedy, Gumball is easily the best looking and most entertaining show on CN right now, not counting Samurai Jack because that's on Adult Swim, the creators actually play with the mediums they are using and they got an almost perfect comedic timing, fuck you.

Loud House is also pretty decent.

but the only reason slapstick was brought up is because thats the only comedy in steven universe
spongebob didnt have looney tunes levels of talent but it was hillarious, even when attempting slapstick, sure the animation wasnt entirely there but the writing made up for it
plus there was more than slapstick, way more
when a writer attempts slapstick without knowing how slapstick works its obvious he has no idea of how to make his own characters funny
thats a big problem, if you cant write comedy how the hell are you going to write anything else?

>it can be new and exciting
i keep hearing this...
were is an example?

Steven Universe isn't anything, it genre hops because rebecca is a woman and doesnt have balls to put her foot down when the storyboarders stray to far from her vision. The show is an utter mess at this point