Does pretending to be retarded work in real life for detectives the way it did for Columbo...

Does pretending to be retarded work in real life for detectives the way it did for Columbo? And are there any other shows or movies about pretending to be retarded as a crimefighting technique?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It does work if you do it right. Granted, most people are nowhere near as intelligent as Columbo. He had his act down to a science, and he was also a genius on top of it. The dude was also perspicacious and wily as fuck.

That outfit looks /fa/ as fuck.

it does. i pretend to be helpless. because of it, everyone comes to my aid and brings me things I need.
works in nature too. male snakes pretend to be female in order to steal body heat from other males.

In a word: yes.

>always brings up mrs columbo
>never see a mrs columbo
>realize its all part of his act

She had her own show

At least the dog was real.

It isn't. She was on the boat with him. Many people, including the captain and boatswain, saw her. We don't see her not because she isn't real, but because it eventually just became a running gag... just like him not revealing his first name, him always wearing the coat (even when he goes to a dog park in the middle of the summer in fucking Los Angeles), etc.

She was real, had her own show for a while, and was played by Capt Janeway herself.

>perspicacious
Great word

Yeah, just one thing before I go...

>she had her own show
mind blown. This can't be true.

Fuck yourself youngfag

his first name is frank

>yeah, alright I'll leave. I guess you are innocent after all
>*stops in doorway*
>*turns around*
>only, theres just one thing thats buggin me...

Fucking disgusting faggot.

a..again? Is it time already? Oh my... here we go... fucking again.

I don't think it's really an act. He just seems to be the kind of absent-minded character that doesn't really think of himself as a genius but is one non the less. My physics teacher was like that. People automatically assume these types are probably retards so all he has to do to convince them is withhold some information...

Shut the fuck up idiot

Not the same thing, but anyone like Monk? My like of Columbo influenced my like of that I think.

>Yes, if properly done.

Playing the role of "court jester", opens up some opportunities and also works as the sort of a cover.

?

I like the episode where his wife gets him a new coat and he doesn't like it. He always "forgot" it in the car or something. I should go back and watch this show again.

in other word, you are a trap?

Death in Paradise is a BBC murder mystery detective series with the gimmick being that the detective is bumbling old British guy forced to solve crimes in the scorching Carribbean or somewhere. Every few series the main detective changes and the most recent one definitely has a whiff of Columbo about him. Next series starts in Januari I think.

He does a lot of Columbo stuff like going on and on about seemingly inane stuff like an uncle who used to collect buttons, and then instantly changes his attitude and looks the suspect straight in the eye to ask him a direct question which somehow makes sense with the inane button anecdote. It's more of an homage to Columbo than a different approach, but it's still very good. It's like Columbo, but you don't know the identity of the killer yet.

oh it's true but it was shit, cancelled quickly and Peter Falk never endorsed the spin-off.

what is this somekinna image furrr uhh ants?

>and Peter Falk never endorsed the spin-off.
ahhh, the good old times

>think people are pretending to be dumb in real life to fuck with me
>no, they're just dumb

You convinced him you were a retard

Ya this thread has made me nostalgic
I'm gonna rewatch

Same here. I'm going with the Johnny Cash episode.

I never actively watched Columbo, just caught snippets when it was on tv in the background when I was a kid. Is there an episode with Johnny fucking Cash?

There is and it's one of my favorites. I really like the ending to that episode.

They're all pretty great
Cash was guest on a few shows inthe80's IIRC
Anyway, watch Columbo.

Awesome. Just start from episode one I guess?

Absolutely. His character does change after the first episode or so. You'll see when you watch it.

It's not a story arc show so it doesn't matter all that much. Everything is wrapped up by the end of the EP and start new next week. That being said I'm gonna rewatch and start from the beginning

It might if you can lull the suspect into thinking they can outsmart you. That might cause them to slip out something they think you don't understand.

Just found it on terrium Tv
Had not expected it was quite that old
I watched reruns of reruns when I was a kid

>She was on the boat with him. Many people, including the captain and boatswain, saw her.

implying it wasn't a prostitute

>My like of Columbo influenced my like of that I think.

Fun fact: there is no episode of Columbo which isn't objectively superior to the act of sex.

>male snakes pretend to be female in order to steal body heat from other males.

I do the same. It works.

Kek

Monk was great and had consistant quality. I seem to remember there were a couple episodes where you knew the culprit from the start as well. There's even an episode with Snoop Dogg in it.

there are two:
1. the military one with the narrator
2. the kidnapping one

I've never seen any episode. Can series this old work today? Should I watch it?

Don't mind me. I'm just the best episode of Columbo.

Been retarded for 3 years now doing pretty well so far

I've never watched it either but I always hear people calling it an absolute classic, even people in the business have openly stated it's the best series every made.
And yet here I am. But I guess I'll fire up an episode later today to see what all the fuss is about.

mynigga.jpg

the twins ep with martin landau desu

The problem with many classics is that they are classic because they were the very first doing a trope that all others followed. When you have seen better contemporary executions of the idea, the original loses any charm it had in the first place.
Only character driven old shows can work today

This
There are so many though

Yeah, that's a good one, too. He keeps messing around with the breakers causing her TV to get screwed up lol. The Great Santini episode is fun to watch as well.

>male snakes pretend to be female in order to steal body heat from other males
gay

Very true in most cases
I would argue that the best will always be the best and Columbo is up there. As well, who doesn't love a good whodunnit?

>Is there an episode with Johnny fucking Cash?

Yes. Shatner also appears twice on the show, as two different killers while Nemoy appears very early on and is easily one of the most nefarious bad guys on the entire show's history, he actually manages to piss off Columbo. The show actually has a lot of old classic actors on it.

Columbo is pure kino, the formula is just incredibly entertaining. Nobody since has done it half as well.

all oldfags itt?
1972 here

yup, 1997 here

Well you best be watching Columbo bro man

Best eps?

I really love Any Port in a Storm which guest starred Donald Pleasence. Columbo nabs him in a really neat way and most of the ep is Columbo learning about wine from a murderer at a seaside winery. Super cosy.

Keep listing best eps

not necessarily one of the best, but Identity Crisis is one I enjoy a lot
it has Patrick McGoohan as the antagonist and a semi-short appearance by Leslie Nielsen

I liked the one where Dick Van Dyke played the photographer who murdered his wife, and made it look like a kidnapping.
The way Van Dyke exposed himself as the killer was hilariously retarded. I think Colombo himself was shocked a how dumbheaded it was.

>see Colombo in the tv listings
>it’s from the last series

>it's columbo loves the nightlife

The Shatner TV detective episode is one of the best for me. You can tell pretty early on that his character isn't falling for Columbo's act, and actually realises he's already got him, but just wants to see how far he can take the act before Columbo just decides to arrest him.

Watch IRL interviews. The interviewer guys are really passive and non-emotional.
They let the suspect talk and tie themselves up in knots. Point out inconsistencies when they arise.
Give them uncomfortable silences that nervous people naturally want to fill up with chatter.
Nobody with any real skill does the good cop/bad cop thing.

Found one in the wild.

Is Columbo legally streaming anywhere?

Just finished this episode
My first Columbo and I'm hooked
Absolutely awesome

Grab terrarium tv app

Yeah, does it stream legally anywhere?

>be me in a foreign country
>befriend cunty roommates and pretend to be a simpleton
>they try to fuck me over and steal my money
>I knew it all along and long story short they split up and lost their house

It has all the EPs for you to stream anywhere yes
I'm not totally sure it will work if you're on the moon

This is a good segment.

Peter Falk goes on Dean Martin's Roast and stays completely in character the whole time. Underrated as a comedian.

youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus

>Does pretending to be retarded work in real life

i pretended to be have mild autism to get a job after highschool

Never knew. That's pretty awesome

>pretended to have mild autism
Because really you have extreme autism?

He's only slightly smarter than he's letting on.

t. Sup Forums genius over here showing everyone how's it done.

I know this is a really pleb thing to say, but is Araki copying Columbo, because he does this in almost every chapter of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

The pilot is pretty great.

fascinating

The episodes guest starring Robert Culp as the killer are some of the best. He gets so pissed off at Columbo by the end, it's fucking great.

Could a Sup Forums detective solve this?

> GIS this
> All the text is in sandnigger
What kinda watchlist did you just get me put on?

The thing is he is not pretending.

It's hard to believe this was ever unironic advertising, it looks like an ad for a plasmid

holding the gun in the wrong hand for it to be a suicide.

shes left handed given the position of the pen and the ashtray
gun is in the right hand

The letter doesn't look finished suggests it could be murder (complete wide shot). There's bullet casing on the desk that appears to be in the wrong place but they tend to do wierd shit anyway.

Verdict suicide. Bag her and tag her.

Not if she died with her back to the letter which her sprawl suggests.

Is that a trap? 'She' pretended to be a girl, picked up some guy. When home and showed his penis, the guy lost it and killed 'her'.
Definitely murder