Jurassic Park/World

With Jurassic world 2 coming out soon, I've been pondering the question, Would Jurassic Park be considered a Sci-fi Horror movie? I know its definitely a monster movie but does it push the envelope enough to be within the same realm as horror movies? Pic related.

In my opinion no.
On the other hand half of Michael Crichton's stuff I would:
Congo and 13th Warrior yes.
Timeline no.

it has horror like elements like the raptors in the facility but I wouldn't overall call it a horror, there's no atmosphere of overwhleming tension from beginning to end, you get very calm peaceful moments like Sam and the kids chilling in the trees and not every dinosaur is trying to kill them either.
More of an adventure movie

No. Science-fiction possibly, but not horror.

Sci-fi adventure more like it. It has few elements of horror

Nah its more an adventure movie with elements of science fiction, a horror movie about dinosaurs would be great though

That is true, but i would say that atleast for the first film, it doesnt have a horror atmosphere but it does have a scary atmosphere is that makes. Scary in the fact that both the characters and the audience at the beginning and middle of the film don't know what dinos are on the island and what said dinos are capable of, and it in that case it had some tension. its a very airy arguement but just something that came to mind.

If the thing is horror then jurassic park is too

How is it not science fiction?

To that, I would just say that all you gotta do is re-watch the opening 30 mins of OG Jurassic Park because it definitely establishes itself as a sci-fi film, with the cloned animals, metallic facilities and especially the very opening with the ingen workers dealing with the raptors in the futuristic cages.

That's actually an interesting thought, OP
personally, I always considered it a sci-fi adventure

I certainly agree with that, it's just generally regarded as an action/adventure film and the majority of the movie is along those lines.

It is a movie about fictional science.

Of course it's sci fi.

Fair enough, I would love a spin-off JP film focusing on ingen having to deal with carnivorous dinosaurs that escape from their containment. We got that a little bit of that in Jurassic world, But really a whole movie with just that premise could be a great sci-fi horror action flick. imagine the setting of predator with the action and suspense of aliens.

True that, but with movies its less what its about and more the tone, and it think thats why most people address jurassic park as an adventure movie because it has a lit-hearted tone (for most of the movie) that lends itself to feeling like an adventure movie.

It's not a horror movie, it's just a good adventure movie. There are many comedy moments as well, maybe even more, but it's not a comedy in a common meaning.

But the comedy is not as strong in the few scenes its in, as the horror is with the few scenes that it is in. Spielberg is most known for horror (Jaws, Poltergeist) and when watching the T rex, you can see that he clearly knows how to make the beast seem menacing without being grotesque and indulgent about. That restraint is why i think JP gets to skate along without being classed as a horror flick for kids because it has those elements of horror but its held back enough to where the other more fun elements shine brighter.

I'm not considered this movie like for kids. But when I was a kid, it was my favorite movie alongside with Aliens. But now it's not, just a good old adventure movie. Spielberg just tosses horror and comedy to not let people get bored, but it's more like Indiana Jones than Jaws. Even horror moments mostly look like a comedy - the guy on the toilet, severed hand of a black guy, etc

and I like it, it made better than in "guardians of the galaxy"

Jurassic as straight horror with no attempts at comedy would be kino.

it would be boring