Samurai Jack vs Season 5

As someone who has never seen the original series of Samurai Jack at all, aside from the clip on YouTube of Aku challenging him, I watched the fucking season 5 premiere last night and it was one of the most epic fucking things I have seen in recent memory, as pathetic as that sounds.

Holy fucking shit, I need more of this.

Is the old show just as good as this one? I watched it with my older brother and he was a big fan of the originals and watched em all when they came out and said the art and animation was on par with how it looked back then, so that gives me hope.

Seriously this was so fucking cool. Oh my god I haven't felt such hype and exhilaration watching a cartoon like this in a long time.

Other urls found in this thread:

1fichier.com/?7mwvt61vqi
youtube.com/watch?v=wXC1JGWqcj0
youtube.com/watch?v=sMqQOGTshak
polygon.com/tv/2017/3/2/14536782/samurai-jack-best-episodes
reddit.com/r/samuraijack/comments/5taofe/list_of_essential_samurai_jack_episodes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I shall now begin gushing over Samurai Jack.

Ohhhh my God
>Dat art style
>Dat action
>Dat voice
Holy fucking shit and the fucking THRILLS! The PTSD flashbacks through the episode were fucking cool as shit, and the Aku lady things training were also pretty neat and intense. God damn it, and the fight with that one guy who had the flute was so well choreographed. I swear to god I was on the edge of my seat through the entire thing. Oh my God so fucking cool.

I also liked the little tidbits of comedy here and there. The phone call to Aku gave me a chuckle.
>What!?
Seriously.
Tell me if the original is like this. I want to fucking binge it if it is.

The old episodes tend to be much slower paced with a lot less dialog. Hell theres entire episodes with very little dialog at all.
These are not necessarily bad things, just things that obviously needed to be changed and sped up due to having to end the series with only 9 episodes.

>Is the old show just as good as this one?

Yes. That's kind of a no-brainer, OP.

Yes definitely, and they aren't connected for a long connected plot so you can usually watch them in whatever order you want. It's all worth watching though for sure.

Watch the episode with the blind archers that's one of my favorites.

"Jack and the 300 Spartans" was my personal favorite.

>Hell theres entire episodes with very little dialog at all.

There's an episode where there is only one voice actor in it.

and it's not even Jack speaking.

I don't even remember that one, may have never seen it. God, i gotta rewatch this series, so many amazing episodes

>tfw some Sup Forumstard ruined last night's Q&A with his retarded phone call

>Is the old show just as good as this one?

No.

That said, the original show is a great kiddie version of this show.

>tfw multiple Sup Forumstards, including a femanon, used the phonelines exclusively to shitpost

>Take care of Lulu.
>Sweet thing.

It might not be fast through the whole season though, after the first real "oh, shit" moment that may come earlier then any of us thought, the pace very well could slow down to give everyone a breather.

I have to say that this one is probably my favorite

It's pretty damn good, don't listen to . the only reason why he says that is because there were some episodes that you could consider "filler" because it had a lighter heart to the episode, but I'm willing to bet this series will have those same moments. Possibly not as many though considering that this series isn't going to be another 50 episodes.
So far though this does look to be darker, but that's to be expected considering they said they wanted it to feel a little darker considering he lost his sword, he's 50 years into the future from the last episode and hasn't aged, and he's getting ptsd because he's somewhat lost his way. I'm pretty hyped for this though.

Who /antenna waifu/ here

I only recall one of them using it specifically for trolling, and it was really cringy for everyone.

That girl who asked about an Aku spinoff should have worded it normally, but at least it was an actual question.

oh no

What about robohusbando?

Well that was fast.

nice

Who else thought the robo villain was great?

Okay but who was that spooky horseman in Jack's hallucinations?

>Controls his magic levitating sword through scat singing

He was excellent. I missed the zany villains this show would come up with.

Me. Nearly everything about the episode was great.

swiggity swag the nightmare stag

Art and action for the original series was just as great.

Though if you're interested in the serialized story, you'll be disappointed. Every episode of the old show was a stand-alone story.

I wouldn't sat it's much older oriented so much as it is just a more developed show. The toddler punching was new and we know from trailers jack bleeds a lot more, but the difference didn't feel more like an older show so much as a show with an actual goal now. The fight scene was better given Gendy is really pouring a lot more into individual fights, but everything else about the scat man robot was pretty par for the course.

Was there a stream? can I get a link?

the blind archers was the first episode I ever saw. from then on I was a SJ fan

Animation and art style is largely the same, if a bit dated for obvious reasons.

However, just keep in mind that the plot for the original is very episodic and nonlinear, and Jack is young, hopeful, just and naive - a stark contrast from his season 5 character.

Glad you liked it OP. Personally I felt it wasn't fast paced at all, it matched the tone of the old one fairly well but with newer riskier stuff like childbirth and the robot basically being a FABULOUUUS metrosexual robot queen.
>mfw he even had high heel stilettos
That was fucking hilarious but would never have worked on Cartoon Network.

My hopes for the new season:
>More spooky animation stuff, that scene with the fire was 2spooky, imagine the kind of nightmare fuel they could do with Aku on this kind of budget/with this much effort put in
>Characterization on Aku, why he left his cultists behind, is it really a test or was he just bored and fucked off to play cards with Cthulhu?
>Loss of the sword being a running plot point (Jack can't let Aku know he lost it or Aku will just show up and kill him)

I also want to see more of those blue dog things, they were 2cute5me.

>it’s hard to make that jump where you go from a super-lax schedule and good pay to — all of a sudden you have half as much time and half as much money, you know?

Reminder that Tartakovsky didn't have to put himself through work that's twice as hard at half the pay. It was a labor of love.

Will this be in the last episode?

If you watch the Q&A Genndy kinda squirms about the answer, but then says yes.

I'll give you my response because since the release I too need to gush about stuff and share my thoughts which I'm pretty sure are ging to be a bit more objective than some of the stuff you're gonna get ITT. First off it's not as good as the old series on an objective level, but this mostly can't be helped because the animation industry has changed on every level in the last 12.5 years. Virtually everyone working on the new Se5 except for key people are different. And it might just be impossible for voice actors to still have the exact some voice for their respective characters after such a long period, an example would be the original guy who voiced AKU died.
While the new show certainly has depth in it's cinematography, it simply can't have the same level because of industrial reasons. I can go on about this but I feel the truth you're looking for is; that the old series was better, go watch it, some episodes are really shitty with their plot though.

Some examples on the low or inconsistent quality are:
-Jack's current white-guy skin tone, and improperly designed younger jack in the flashback where he loses his sword, who even has asian skin tone, wth?
-Low environment detail during the river scene, and how the zombie children were copy pasted and duplicated in squares, whole thing looked too rushed. Ntm overusage of the mysterious horseman.

Yeah so here's my question.

The original series was obviously on Cartoon Network, and had to be toned down for children and shit, but the Adult Swim is fucking intense and has blood and shit.

How much less intense is the original? Honestly I kind of like it when a show doesn't have much blood, because if a fucking show is just full of stupid gore, it gets fucking retarded and loses the emotional impact of it real quick and just makes me bored. I think they paced the blood in the new one pretty well though. My bro tells me the original had a bit of blood, but it was green from robots or something.

The most intense bit I would say is in The Princess and the Bounty Hunters, you should watch it for yourself because it's just so good, but it gets really intense at the end

No blood, but Jack gets cut a lot and red lines appear on his body.

There is still robot "blood" and "guts" though. I pretty much didn't notice the blood in the episode until it was right in my face, like, oh she's stabbing her eye and shit.

If I recall correctly there are also no dead human bodies/corpses, unlike in this episode, but plenty of robot corpses though.

It had some of the best action choreography I've seen in a cartoon and uses it fairly liberally, but pretty much everything he fights is a robot with black oil gushing everywhere in place of blood

Can someone put this file on mega.nz?

1fichier.com/?7mwvt61vqi

It's the 1080p WEB-DL, better quality than the TV-RIP and WEB-RIP that are floating around.

Only thing about that epsidoe that annoyed me was Jack dropping the title refrain himself and that this guy, you basically get all hyped for, and then he's dead.

Is he gonna come back do you think?
He almost seems like an old character even thoguh he's new, because they made the way they acted to each other to imply it THAT WELL.

There was an episode where a family of metal eating gypsies turned out to be robots then started killing and eating each other

I can tell you there wasn't much difference in terms of gore. They can get past the censors as long as it isn't red blood. The scene where the girl stabbed the archer in the eye with the arrow, sure, little bit of blood there, and the implication of death from when they were kicking the opposition off the cliff face was strong. Of course, you wouldn't see a silhouette of a woman giving birth in the old series, but when it comes to jack using his sword to slice and dice some bad guys. I didn't see any difference. You have to watch it for yourself to see what I mean.

You didn't recall correctly, there are quite a few episodes that dealt with human zombies and skeletons. It's not about whether something looks dead or not, it's about having blood and guts spew out when hit with a sword. Which the zombies would get around by simply turning into dust when killed.

Yeah they used the "it's oil" meme to depict graphic violence on a childrens' network. It's just sort of stuck and become an integral part of the show.

>they aren't connected for a long connected plot so you can usually watch them in whatever order you want
There are some multi part episodes though, so be weary of that

so when do they get JACK'D

>obvious redditor loves reddit: season 5

absolute shocker

Yes
Have fun, user.

Is their any other media that uses a blend of traditional with techno? The entire soundtrack for this game is what I can think of on the top of my head.
youtube.com/watch?v=wXC1JGWqcj0

The "Aku spin-off when?" lady?

Nope. Samurai Jack is known for having colorful, fleshed out antagonists who appear for one episode and then vanish for the rest of the series.

One of the reasons the Scotsman is as memorable as he is is because the writers actually choose to bring him back again. He could've easily been another badass but forgettable footnote in the series.

go away

I don't like Jack's "flashback" look, it looks waaay too different from his look in the orginal show; his face and jaw had a much more square shape.

yo

where can I get the other 4 samurai jack seasons?

>Jack as king of the Spartans
This will be a good storyline

It's gonna be a fun 9 weeks.

She really obviously stole his robe after a one night stand

Youtube, multiple channels have full episode uploads in very acceptable quality, no errors or anything.

really? I was thinking of just torrenting it.

so who supplied the semen for her to have 8 kids

>Tell me if the original is like this. I want to fucking binge it if it is.

You tell me
youtube.com/watch?v=sMqQOGTshak

The scots man coming back

What about the Black samurai or the Spartans?

>metro-queen
He was a standard caricature of Sammy Davis Junior
>stilettos
Lolno. Those were riding boots. Stilettos aren't just high heels they come to a sharp point like a stiletto

Is that one of the daughters?

Aku.

Fucking leave you 15 year old twat

Jack.

Back to back gets

It's good. I mean it's still a kids cartoon but there's a lot of action, quiet moments of reflection on beautiful backgrounds, insane villains, with a bit of hip-hop attitude. I was actually surprised how reserved season 5 was despite the bump up to TV-14, and it totally follows the plot progression of the original episodes. In every way it feels like it was made in 2004 and someone cleaned up the footage.

I'm watching season one, can I skip episode four?

in my opinion the show is very hit or miss
i would suggest looking at a list of the best episodes and just watching those
only a few seem like they might be plot relevant, jack and the traveling creatures, jack and the scotsman, birth of evil

thank you for actually responding
both these lists say episode four is essential so I'll get to it.

polygon.com/tv/2017/3/2/14536782/samurai-jack-best-episodes

reddit.com/r/samuraijack/comments/5taofe/list_of_essential_samurai_jack_episodes/

I'm watching the first season now, and it's pretty remarkable this show was ever able to exist, especially on a kid's network.

It's not perfect. In fact, sometimes it's pretentious with how hard it tries to be cinematic. But for the most part it succeeds at that while being perfectly cartoonish.