Thoughts? Meme for the "I fucking love science crowd" or halfway-decent popcorn series?

Thoughts? Meme for the "I fucking love science crowd" or halfway-decent popcorn series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc
youtube.com/watch?v=-1kcLHlG91Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've always thought the original cosmos was a bit overrated
This shit is pure unwatchable drek

The first episode just bashes religion for most of its runtime, then the couple episodes I watched after that were about 90% special effects and nonsense with about 10% science and substance.

This is Sup Forums user. There's no reason to ask about a show unless you want to know what the most popular alt-right meme that relates to tthe show is.

I guarantee you no one who responds ITT has seen more than 5 minutes of it.

>The first episode just bashes religion for most of its runtime

It may be so, but still I can't help but feel moved by Carl Sagan's passionate speech. It's like Bob Ross, the guys just fucking love their subject so much they infect you with their devotion. Neil barely made me feel that. It is still better than watching the Kardashians

I wouldn't mind but the show is supposed to teach people about the cosmos, not be butthurt about religion for a whole episode then half ass anything meaningful in the rest of them.

Regardless of your personal beliefs, there is literally no association between science and religion, except with human context.
Yeah, I can admire Sagan for that. Black science man is just going through the motions.

Religion is by definition dogmatic. Of course it has played a very real part in inhibiting science. If it isn't dogmatic then it would be "spiritualism" or some shit. Only a brainlet wouldn't understand how propping up science would lead a lot of people to bashing religion.

I liked the segment about how eyes came to be developed.

Memes aside, I watched it from beginning to end when it came out, never watched the original.
Visuals are alright but nothing groundbreaking and science black guy is an insufferable cunt.
If you haven't seen or read anything about scientific history since you left highschool you might learn a few things but that's about it. It's a very linear history of science.
It's alright if you have really nothing to watch while you eat, but the actual informatinnal content is pretty fucking poor even for a vulgarisation documentary.
Brian Greene documentaires are better even if their scope is not as large.

That's fine and good and all, but they spent more effort on that and literally making priests literally look like spooky boogeymen than actually having anything of substance to talk about. I'm not a fan of religion but it was a waste of time. I could have gotten better arguments against religion from 5 minutes of browsing facebook.

>brainlet: the post
You don't get to define something as dogmatic just because you want to. Even ignoring that to be an inaccurate term to apply to most religions, it's not related to science, since religion, like philosophy, deals with subjects outside the reach of science. If you want to argue that the Christian Church has impeded the March of science (the old dark ages myth), you can try, but that is pretty much entirely false. If you want to argue general religious feeling is both against and impeding science, good luck, that is a very untenable argument.
If you really want to talk about dogmatic, let's hit evolution, which Darwin saw talking place on a micro level, and assumed it happened on a macro level as well, which still hasn't been proven, nearly two hundred years later.

Ring species prove macro evolution and are observes readily

Meme for the "I fucking love science crowd". Him and bill nye are scientists for suckers

S'micro

If I remember correctly, most (all?) Discovered ring species have been confirmed as not actually being a ring.

He's a part of this horrible pseudo science of modern times. Quick facts about science trickled down ten fold so commoners can understand it.
Like TED talks as well, they take away all merit in favor of making it accessible to pop culture science "nerds" who won't dig deeper into the little info they gather from them.

youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc
Does new Cosmos have anything this great coming from it? I didn't think so.

It was alright. Sup Forums will hate it though since he didn't say god exists or talk about "race science".

Wynaut both?

>Defends religion and in the same post attacks evolution
>Without citations
>Of course, it can´t miss an ad hominem

Ooookey my fellow christian friend... Here is your macroevolution:

Herrel, A., Huyghe, K., Vanhooydonck, B., Backeljau, T., Breugelmans, K., Grbac, I., Van Damme, R. & Irschick, D. J. 2008. Rapid large-scale evolutionary divergence in morphology and performance associated with exploitation of a different dietary resource. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105, 4792-4795.

I liked it, but then again I'm not a Christcuck or a fedoralord so I didn't have a personal investment in the debate

Test

>Tune in to a space show
>Presumably to watch space stuff
>Instead its religous bashing
How do you not see the problem?

He's a science populizer, it's to get people excited about science and the kind of shit real scientists are working on. Yeah, it's kind of annoying that there is this pop-nerd culture that grew up around it, but I still think they're doing overall good. I wish they would stay out of politics and keep people up-to-date on actual science though.

Pretty interesting stuff
Good show to watch before bed

>le microevolution XD

Fucking retarded piece of shit. What the fuck do you think happens when those "micro"-evolution changes continue for 100 000, 200 000 years? Oh wait don't bother answering, because like the literal inbred brain damaged cunt that you are, you will start going off on about 'muh 6000!', 'muh Bible'. Kill yourself worthless brain-dead parasite.

>he's a creationist

It wasn't even religion bashing. It was dogma bashing. The dude they were talking about wasn't a scientist, he was just some religious nut like the rest who was just a little less dogmatic. I think your trigger sensitivity is set too high.

It was ok for what it was, and teaching more people about science is always a good thing

This thread is a clear example of reddit flooding.

it's "science" masturbation

First off, your supposed to use greentext with a post like this.

Second, what would motivate you to post this in the first place? Do you take appreciation for what science has given humanity as an attack on your personal interests?

kek

go masturbate to carl sagan talking about black holes you fucking faggot

Poe's Law

tips

Too much damn history and shitty animation. It looks like it was intentionally made for substitute science and history teachers.

It’s a show that’s primary goal is to be entertaining, which it succeeds by centering every episode around the human element of scientific discovery. It plays fast and loose with the details of the science, but it’s intuitive in its demonstration of the scientific concepts.

Also think it’s amusing we have someone in this thread sperging so hard about the “attack on religion”. Personally I take religion pretty seriously but you’re willfully ignorant if you choose to defend the countless religious leaders in positions of power who abused their influence to silence or retard scientific discovery throughout history. This is the same logic that people who unilaterally declare “islam is a religion of peace” and don’t allow for adherents to that faith to contradict their blindness in that assumption. All faiths have followers that are absolute pieces of shit, even buddhists. That’s not a blasphemous claim. Faith might be perfect in its conception, but the imperfect people that believe it are bound to wield it for their own benefit at the expense of others.

You're not getting any after this low level shitposting.

>Creationist
OH NO NO NO NO

WE WUZ STAR DUST

I liked it but it triggered too many cucks so they cancelled it.

The history is pretty inaccurate

This is a new meme that isn't tied to any recent event and therefore I hate it.

Pure cringe.

I remember when this was on Fox there was an ad explaining why Seth McFarlane was a great producer for a series like this.

YOUR GOD IS TOO SMALL

I'm fine with him producing it, but I'm not fine with him voice acting in it.

I never really got the theological argument that a hands-off God is less glorious than one that has to keep fixing things since creation. The more glorious God is the one that gets it right from the very beginning and creates a perfectly clockwork, deterministic universe.

>y-yuh triggured...
stop projecting. I want space and science. Not something loosely, tangently related.

No evidence for your claim. Nor does he attack evolution. It's the 21st century and the age of science and logic, let's not fall back on butthurt fallacies.

This.

>"I fucking love science crowd"
There are worse things you could worship than objective inquiry into nature.

youtube.com/watch?v=-1kcLHlG91Y

it didn't even do it accurately

>I'm for science... the world was created 5000 years ago.

Crumbly, but good.

I like you.

Objective inquiry into nature is more along the lines of Sagan and Darwin. DeGrasse, that is not.

You're the only one saying that and pulling it out of your ass. You going to debate me or that user properly, or not?

>I'M NOT SAYING ALL OF ASTRONOMY, ARCHEOLOGY, AND GEOLOGY ARE FALSE, YOU ARE!
No, no I am not. You are. I don't have to defend the standard model of science. It's up to you to prop up your crackpot alternative, else the entire fucking planet would preoccupied explaining the very basics of various scientific fields to every mouthbreather who thought a few minutes of pondering trumps hundreds of years of evidence based scientific progress.

You are talking about completely unrelated topics. He was talking about observable macro evolution, and religion's affect on science and it's culture, along with everyone else. ESPECIALLY since I replied to you clowns about his sole post you quoted. You have 0 basis in objective reality right now.

You are, quite literally, insane.

Quite the ironic thing to post Einstein for this comment

Sup Forums BTFO

Science is a joke, engineering is truth.

Nothing about your post makes sense.

You? He? """Topics"""? Nothing in your post is pinning down what you are arguing and thus you are probably just trying to hide in the vagueness of what youa re saying. If you are trying to say science is bullshit in some regard like evolution isn't the best explanation for biological diversity then come out and fucking say it. And as you seem to be aware this thread isn't just you and me so stop arguing like it is.

>freshman civil engineers actually believe this

So? I didn't tune in to watch dogma bashing.
>triggered
Not even religious, I just don't care to watch fedoras circle tip each other when I tuned in to watch something else.

>I didn't tune in to learn about the underlying principles of science.
Then you tuned into the wrong programming.

Well clearly, but that's hardly the point

>let's not fall back on butthurt fallacies.
>Says that in order to defend a post that starts with an ad hominem "brainlet: the post"

Dont worry, here is the evidence for my claim:
Herrel, A., Huyghe, K., Vanhooydonck, B., Backeljau, T., Breugelmans, K., Grbac, I., Van Damme, R. & Irschick, D. J. 2008. Rapid large-scale evolutionary divergence in morphology and performance associated with exploitation of a different dietary resource. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105, 4792-4795.

Why would I do any of that? Why would you assume that? Assumptions based on so little and lots of bias seem to be your thing but then I'd start to be like you. That user nor I are doing any kind of denial or attack on science, but you seem to think so. That IS my point. It's not hard to deduce that, or at least shouldn't be.

You on the other hand... what is the point of your post? Trying to poke a hole somewhere?

>And as you seem to be aware this thread isn't just you and me so stop arguing like it is.
And why would I think that? I mention the other user 3 others replied to, AND the ones he was talking to as well in more than one of my posts.

That's called the conflict thesis. The Harvard biologist Stephan Gould, the man who'd made the most important contributions to our understanding of evolution since Darwin with his work on punctuated equilibrium, referred to science and religion as non-overlapping magesteria. That is, they're different paradigms for different ideas.

Support for the conflict thesis is usually predicated on a warped understanding of history (muh dark ages).

>Personally I take religion pretty seriously but you’re willfully ignorant if you choose to defend the countless religious leaders in positions of power who abused their influence to silence or retard scientific discovery throughout history.

What a great argument user

>its a highschooler who applied for Engineering major who will be among the 70% to drop out before hitting Junior Year episode
Its the same every year, but I love these episodes

It is very the point. Cosmos is about the universe and the tools we have to explore the universe, which is science.

i don't understand why you're so adamant in defending that guy's post. are you just protective of religious people in general or are you going to join that user in making the absolutely retarded argument that religious epistemic principles aren't antithetical to inquiry

>Why would I do any of that?
Honestly, I don't give a fuck. And I don't understand why you are putting so much effort into claiming everyone but you is wrong while trying your damndest not to say anything else. I can only presume you are hopped on Adderall or some shit.

I don't disagree, which is why they should be discussing that topic instead of >le dumb religion maymay

Also, Bruno, the guy portrayed in nu-Cosmos as the brilliant scientific mind so unjustly suppressed by the Catholic Church, was a lunatic occultist who was executed for being a priest who moonlighted as a warlock. You're really not supposed to do that as a priest.

>Support for the conflict thesis is usually predicated on a warped understanding of history (muh dark ages).
Or the actual nutjobs taking science out of school presently because it conflicts with their 7 Habits of Highly Effective Goatherders.

see

for a show about astronomy they didn't spend much of it on astronomy

Are you trying to be dumb? Not two posts ago I told you it was about dogma, not religion.

Who said it was supposed to just be about astronomy?

It was relatively simplistic in tone, but I guess it was meant for an audience that doesn't necessarily know that much about science.

I'd say it's a decent series to show to kids or teens.

Not at all, you're just angsty for an argument. Take a breather and realize what I'm saying.

Good concept but they gave it all to the most annoyingly smug astrophysicist in existence.

>be Msc post grad
>do masters in trophic ecology
>undergrad in bio
>Robert Paine died last year
>Studied west coast tidal zone communities
>would pick up starfish and chuck them as far off into the ocean as he could
>observe how the remaining mollusc community responded to the lack of former predator
>came up with the Keystone species concept from his studies

pop science is boring, the fun stuff you gotta dig for.

Yeah, already saw that. Hope the other user sees that, as should you.

Because those posts were wrong. You can make fun of christfags all you want, but at least point it to the right people. You can't call someone who isn't attacking science and not being a hard right creationist straight from the 90s a creationist. It's like saying the ocean is pink or the sun is green.

Then why reply? I don't need to say anything else, either. Why so worked up and ass sore over it?

The million dollar question is whether it bashes on all Abrahamic religions or just the predominately western ones. If you want to take the piss out of Christians or Catholics and point out their hypocrisy then be my guess but if you're afraid of taking similar shots at Islam/Judaism than you're equally hypocritical - and a fucking coward to boot.

I agree. I watched one episode of the new one and I just didn't care as much. Sagan got so wrapped up into and and you could tell he just loved talking about all the possibilities. Got me wrapped up into it.

*I referenced a bunch of his papers in my thesis since it involved trophic ecology

>Christians or Catholics

no
anatomy is boring
fuck anatomy

Don't expect much from people who go from laughing image replies to making multiple butthurt for being merely called out.

user, what are you talking about? Nothing in my post mentions anatomy.

I don't care fuck anatomy

Spotted the eternal schoolkids

I graduated in Mechanical Engineering. Your retarded memes and comics are going to really bite you in the ass. At the bare minimum you will need to be proficient in Chemistry and Physics no matter your engineering path, unless your going to some shitty non-ABET school.

Thats not Einstein buddy.