Does kickstarter/patreon make artists lazy?

Does kickstarter/patreon make artists lazy?

yes

Patreon most definitely.
What are some of the best Sup Forums related stuff that came out of Kickstarter?

>Keeps saying she will continue Zoophobia
>Lies and drawings other stuff for 2+ years
>Keeps getting money from Zoophobia fans

Yes.

It makes me work harder. Knowing that there's people who want to pay for my content makes me want to do my best for them.

>tfw no Zoophobia

memed hard :^)

It honestly depends on the person, and, frankly, their level of entitlement.

Guaranteed money to do what you want can make you feel super obligated to produce for your fans, give constant updates, and apologies if things aren't kept that pace. Sometimes to a fault as creators do 12+ hour days and spend way too much time fine tuning projects that are just as good as they are.

Or guaranteed money to do what you want can make you think you have plenty of time to finish things, justification if you're taking a long time or want to switch between multiple things ADD style, or if you simply don't feel like it, because you reason creativity is a process that doesn't adhere to deadlines.

I mean, there's a reason a lot of these self-employed creators either don't get actual jobs in the industry or crash and burn when they do. These are the same kinds of people who work crappy retail jobs, show up late whenever, don't finish their work or pawn it off on someone else, take exceedingly long breaks and lunches, and then blame everything on their hard ass bosses while wondering why they don't get a raise or a promotion.

Just gotta remember what these things actually are: fan donations, not a contract. There are many artists out there who are extremely giving and talented, and genuinely need your money so they don't feel trapped to work a 9 to 5 in order to eat and keep the tablet power on. And then there are many artists out there who are generally nice, interesting people, but who will take your praise, gifts, and money, play video games all day, sit on a mountain of commissions and projects, and refuse to apologize for it. Don't continue to give those people your money, because finances are not the reason they can't create.

If its per month and not per page, yes.

>That time she took a month long break and still got money for it

I feel like that shit should be against the rules on Patreon, yet, it's not.

Off the top of my head.

If a Patron gives money for 2+ years without seeing anything, he's getting scammed but honestly... if someone continues to give her money, he's kinda asking to be scammed.

If someone has been a Patreon for over a year and has been producing at a steady clip in that time, I don't mind if they take a month off, as long as they give people a heads up.

That hasn't come out yet.

Yes. The worst part is how tribalism makes people who want to dedicate time to their work but don't pander make jack shit, but those who pander but put no effort in their art make more than fucking lawyers.

Looking at you Sophie LaBelle.

No. Artists have always been lazy and unpredictable.

This
I don't think there's ever been a webcomic artist with a consistent schedule

Who was that adult videogame patreon who was taking 10k a month and spent the entire time making reassurances and content-less updates for the entire year before revealing only 20 frames of animation?

>inb4 all of them

I don't know, but whoever designed that logo probably was.

>This shit again

Coelasquid would break you over her fucking knee and still make time to finish the day's comic page.

Her work ethic is stronger than most company artists I've seen. The only thing that's thrown off her schedule in recent memory was getting nearly killed in a traffic accident.

I'm starting to think you could make a Patreon that says "I will never deliver any content ever, but here's this page" and still rake in about $500 a month

Pretty much this. They're donations and you don't really buy anything but a vague promise.

But it does bug the shit out of me when something is blatantly a scam or the amount of money the person receives is in no way worth what they put out.

Also the number of people with crippling illnesses that prevents them from doing any work at all for half the year is staggering.

I want to say Sam Logan? But Canadian so take that as you will.

It's actually annoying because you pay them to make what you want to see. I have no problem with that, it's no different than the old tip jars or whatever in theory though potentially more stable. But it seems that most of the time artists get it and then just coast because they know they've got their money now which, if people were smart, would mean stopping support.

if they get paid by the month?
usually
If they get paid by the strip?
far more variable

Dan Shive.

For a long, long time he was very notorious for not having a consistent one. I think somewhere in the Birthday Party arc (maybe a little after) there's literally 6 months to year where there was no update at all or maybe like a half-dozen. He's been more or less consistent for a few years now.