Name characters who have suffered worse character assassination

Name characters who have suffered worse character assassination

Hint: You can't

Scarlet Witch comes pretty close

Cyclops is dead and known as Hitler. Hal wasn't character assassinated. His downfall and redemption were all handled well.

Right now I'm surprised at how great Jason Todd is. He went from edgy vigilante to a lovable awkward lonely guy that is trying to make his father proud.

The Guardians of the Galaxy. That was a freebie.

Fuck off, cyclops was right and Hal as parallax and spectre was better than modern hal

hal barely had a character to assassinate you butthurt child

>giffen and DnA make cosmic marvel popular again
>bendis and movie memes tear it all down

>Fuck off,
nah
>cyclops was right
nah

>and Hal as parallax and spectre was better than modern hal
nah

>hal barely had a character to assassinate you butthurt child
nah

fuck off, berganza

>Hal wasn't character assassinated. His downfall and redemption were all handled well.
>literally happened in one issue with zero buildup for the sake of sales bait and shock value
>handled well

Cyclops was right. He was doing just fine til he died.

Fuck off Medusa

>heat

>wheat

>Berganza

As someone who likes what Johns did with Hal I have no ill will towards his initial downfall.

Kyle can suck a nut though.

Cyclops's character was assassinated only in-universe by the Inhuman propaganda machine. The only time Cyclops was ever wrong in the last few years was the time when he showed up as the Phoenix on the Battleworld. And it doesn't count.

It's so much worse because it's been going on for such a long time.

>being the phoenix
>cosmic power known to wipe out entire worlds
>get your neck snapped after doing nothing

I fucking hated that event. So much doomwank and all the best stuff happened off panel or in the minis.

Emma Frost

It's really horrible what they did with this guy, forced him to be irrelevant before he ever had his chance to shine

It's like DC publicly called him a mistake and swept him under the rug

Personally I like heroes descending toward villainy. Especially in Cyclops's case where his actions are more controversial than outright evil. The problem in the Cyclops situation is more how writers are deciding to have the characters around him react.
The Hal case was done with less taste but I still think it's interesting.

>Handled well
Nigga I bet you read Emerald Twilight AFTER the fact or haven't read it at all.

>Hal wasn't character assassinated. His downfall and redemption were all handled well.

Here is the last page of issue 47. Emerald Twilight begins immediately afterward and was a rushed 6 issue story condensed into 3 issues to hit 50. It was not well planned at all. What they did afterwards was okay, but the initial 'fall from grace' was anything but.

And in the originally planned story Hal was going to retire anyway so it wasn't even necessary for them to introduce a new GL

He's a regular in Flash and Teen Titans what are you on about?

But yes, he was a mistake. Never should have happened.

Ha! no. Beast has been handled very poorly for the last 4 years, but it was all in service of creating a shitty divide between two lifelong friends.

They can disagree and argue, but Beast and Cyclops were rid or die friends.

Mary Jan Watson.

Ellis was an anomaly. It was around this same time that Fraction turned Beast into Bitchmonkey.

True, but I didn't much care for the way Matt Fraction wrote any the X-Men. I think Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run was high jacked by editorial when they had him write Dark Avengers vs. X-Men.

Up until then, Fraction wrote a decent enough Beast. One who wasn't an asshole, but mildly miffed that his friend was adopting increasingly militant tactics.

Emma Frost (worse than Cyclops, less bad than Hal)

Known since 2004 for one thing and one thing only.

I was gonna say Dr. Light at first but then I remembered the OTHER dumb shit they pulled during the Identity Crisis era.

Marvel suddenly hates playful sexy women. Only Mary Sues with sidecuts can be heroes.

His "reasons" for going evil sucked but Maxwell Lord is such a fun villain.

Most x-characters have had their characters assassinated, lit on fire, and then pissed on for good measure.

Elongated man after IC

How large is his kill count again? Billions?
You got to admit though they sure made some great fucking lemonade out of the lemons he got in 52. Best arc.

Mind controllers are horrifying man

This.
If you put every X-man's name in a hat and picked one at random chances are you'll get one marvel shat on.

Cyclops has been off the fucking deep end since Morrison decided the X-Men were going public.

Hal fucked a kid, killed a bunch of his friends and then came back and said it totes wasn't him it was some other guy like a bug dude yo.

It's not character assassination, it's continuity.

Good news is that probably didn't happen anymore, because the next book he is in is written by "who gives a fuck about continuity" Soule

Iceman

/thread

Since the Arkham games it's been character assassination after character assassination nonstop, even comics and movies are killing her character or what's left of it anyway. Not even Dini can save her now, it's hopeless now

10 years ago I would have said Professor X.
6 years ago I would have said Cyclops.
5 years ago I would have said Nick Fury.
Today I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Two things. Being raped and being murdered were separate events.

>control F
>no Carol Danvers
You disappoint me Sup Forums.

But what's the thing that sticks out the most?

Jean Lorring too. Funny thing is Meltzer is now writing kids books.

Billy Batson by robbing him of his name.

I saw he had a history channel show a couple of months back.

>52 posts
>still no Hank Pym

do I have to WHAK you?

Dude seems to be a bit of the "I know the SECRET history to everything" type of guy (see also Oliver Stone)

>"its my only chance to redeem myself"
>he says as he does the thing that damns him for the rest of eternity

That beautiful starry view.

Made all the worse for the fact that it was accidental character assassination.

>Accidental

Shooter was building up to that slap the entire freaking arc, writing Hank as angry and insecure at his own incompetence and impotence and verbally taking it out on Janet.
He was written as abusive several issues before actually slapping her and getting tossed out of the avengers and kicked to the curb.

I mean, this is Jim fucking Shooter we're talking about, the guy didn't notice anything wrong with the page and couldn't get it quietly redrawn to be less intense?

Yeah. Sure. Pull the other leg now.

Fucked over so hard, no one even used him since then.

Beast

Cyclops fans loved Cyclops as he descended in to insecurity

>doing just fine til he died

lol

um. no. emma frost was always a snob and manipulator

Hawkeye
Carol
Cyc
Wanda

I'm not even really sure when it began

emma is supposed to be horrible? I guess the "assassination" would be her improvement

Does havok count? Last i saw of him half his face was burned up and he wanted his child again via kidnapping wasp

>dat foreshadowing

and ever since

Jean Grey. Claremont made her character interesting by killing her, bring her back was an assassination of character that ruined everything interesting about her character. Then bringing the past Jean to the future and making her really manipulative and borderline psychopath in Bendis' run just destroyed her character even more.

well when you start with a shit character, you can't really complain that its getting shit on

Funny story, Jean was never popular and constantly needed rescuing and was scene as 'weak' in character and ability which led to the Phoenix Force to change her character.

This wasn't even bad, though... he was having a breakdown and she's not some helpless victim, she's a super hero. It's ridiculous that people conflate this incident in 616 with an evil alternate universe Pym.

>implying Hal was any interesting or relevant before Emerald Twilight
I don't remeber a single story about him before that. He was the guy fighitng signs.

Jesus Fucking Christ. Who drew that piece of shit? How much is the artist being paid to fart out this shit?

>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'll pretend like I do!

either Jason Todd or Killing Joke seems to be the first tipping point

decades later and he's hacking off his face and stapling it back on for shock factor or being the trigger for fucking Injustice, the mother of all wild rides