Why are people dreading this book so much? Hopeless wrote a great Jean in Season One

Why are people dreading this book so much? Hopeless wrote a great Jean in Season One.

who cares about Jean and Hopeless sucks

>who cares about Jean
I cared about Jean. But your right hopeless.

>Hopeless
>current X-Men by anyone other than Bunn really, and even he's not great at it
>time-displaced O5 STILL
>Phoenix shit again
>they're pretending they didn't accidentally turn Jean into a villain
>seriously, it's Hopeless
It's going to be terrible and sell like garbage, but Marvel will prop it up anyway.

I already told you why you're wrong about Hopeless though.

nobody read season 1

I loved Jean. I hate Jeen.

His All-New X-Men being terrible cancels out Season One for me, man.

And that's ignoring his other shitty books.

Jean isn't in ANXM though.

So?
It's an X-Men series.

Even if he manages to write the character well, there's no hope for the actual story.
Or do you think he's gonna be the one to finally make the Phoenix compelling again?

Because All-new is trash and Spider-Woman is a complete dumpster fire.

Her hair looks stupid there.

Who knows? They say every writer has at least one good story to tell, maybe this is Hopeless'

If he had a story worth telling with this character, the word "Phoenix" would be nowhere near it.

I like adult Jean-Phoenix

Teen Jean has no history, she was never raped by mastermind for example, and she is "stealing" the opportunity to be Phoenix host from newer characters like Quentin or Hope.

Season one was bland as all hell.

And that's one of his BETTER works.

Denis makes a dogs breakfast of most everything he writes.

Period.

yeah i have mild hopes for this. it's wild

what's she gonna do in this comic? Use the Phoenix Force to turn the whole Marvel Universe gay?

He also wrote a semi decent X-23 during Avengers Arena

And then came his All New X-Men

Verbal Diarrhetic Laura was a terrible thing.

He made it a plot point, then did NOTHING to change her speech pattern.

>why are people dreading this

because it's a useless, arbitrary, redundant character

I dunno how Marvel can evade the meme the created with her.

"She can turn a man gay with a single thought."

Seriously what were they thinking? Couldn't it have been someone else and Jean is brought in to confirm it? How hard was that Bendis? At least make your character rape of your waifu defilers look at least somewhat legit.

>wrote a semi decent X-23 during Avengers Arena
Nigger you WAT??

He hit her with Trigger Scent like 4 fucking times. TWICE IN A SINGLE ISSUE!

>Hopeless wrote a great Jean in Season One.

After the last several years of character development you can't pretend that this is remotely the same character anymore. This alt-timeline Jean behaves like a degenerate lunatic.

Anybody got the meme panels regarding her turning young Iceman gay and then gaslighting old Iceman. I saw it once and its pretty terrifying

this book is going to suck and Teen Jean is an awful character, but at least she looks cute on that cover

>Why are people dreading this book so much?

1) Jean Grey is approaching Hawkman-levels of continuity issues. The O5 should simply NOT still be in the present.

2) A character development book for someone who is literally guaranteed to return to the past and forget it is a giant neon sign to interested parties to not care.

3) The cover has Phoenix. Phoenix has been done to death. Fucking nobody read the end of AvX and said "But I want more Phoenix stories!" Phoenix stories are to Marvel what Teen Titan stories are to DC - at best weak attempts to recapture decades-old glory, at worst cynical carting out of old recognizable plots/characters to bring in nostalgia bucks.

4) The "Bobby is gay now" thing bothers homophobes, continuity fans, a fair number of LGBT people, and people who want decent writing. And that's ONE facet (admittedly, a big one) of the bigger issue that is "Teen Jean is a hair away from being a villain".

5) While I don't think Hopeless is a terrible writer, he's had more than a few chances at bat, and the best he's come up with is 'meh'. Probably the best you can point to is his run on Spider-Woman. It's not bad (I'm fine with the 'hero mommy' direction aside from the fact that only kids named Daniel/le avoid horrible fates), but it hasn't been burning up shelves.

It sucks, because if the O5 were sent back, Jean Grey could be a fantastic character to work with right now. Logan's dead, Scott's dead, the Phoenix is dead. You could build an entire damn series around one of the original mutant heroes redefining herself. Instead, it looks like they're ramping up for "Jean deals with being the Phoenix!" story #592.

But hey, she looks like a rule 63 Guy Gardner on that cover, so at least we get to enjoy those thoughts again.

Perfectly serious question here. Not memeing, not joking around; I'd like some serious speculation here.

Who did Marvel think was the target audience for this book?

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that among X-Men fans the 05 as a whole are an unwelcome presence in modern-day 616 and teen Jean is especially reviled. Now whether it's right or wrong, whether the reasons for reviling her are "objectively valid" or not, the fact of the matter is that nobody actually likes her that I'm aware of.

So what math did they do which said "The X-Men fans want less of what they've been getting in the last few years and more of the stuff they like. Let's give them this instead." What was the decision-making process here? Even if the intent was to somehow redeem the character in the eyes of the general readership and do damage control on her, how could this work if nobody reads the book?

Marvel is trying to destroy the X-men brand. This shoddy relaunch is just attempting to do it in a stealthy manner, less obvious manner.

No more Emma Frost turning gay men straight, either.

Dark times, my friends.

Casual female comics fans, or women who could be tempted into becoming comics fans. Which is perfectly fine - it's just that the big 2 have historically been not so great at attracting that demo, and this book seems unlikely to change that trend. It's like taking a fan of the Flash CW show and telling them the best place they should start reading about the Flash is Crisis on Infinite Earths. A solo title should be able to showcase a character within the confines of the book - build up a compelling, relatable character that readers will want to follow. Right now, "spoiled, time-displaced love interest that needs Cliff Notes to understand the back story" ain't it.

What are you talking about? Gay men love a big slick helmet.

Also, it occurs to me that this makes Scott 3 for 3 in "dated women who went off the deep end". He is in strong competition with Matt Murdock for possession of the most dangerous penis.

Three for four. He had a love interest between Jean and Madalyne named Lee Forrester who managed to walk away unscathed.

I'd read about old space goddess Jean going on space goddess adventures.
A Phoenix ongoing, not a Jean Grey one.
More binding of neutron galaxies to save the fabric of the universe and no turning people gay and relationship drama.
But then I'm imaginig a good book right now and the likes of Hopeless aren't able to deliver anyway so who cares.

Ah back when Marvel was good. Sigh.

This this this. Even if quentin a shit, its fun to see him being shat upon. New Jean is just unfun

As-published? Yes.

As interpreted by fans?

only the mutants

There's ways to have fun with her.

"Like you've never dreamed of bobby freezing you to death-"

And this is how folks Kitty started to dream about Bobby freezing her to death. NuJean Suggestions.

Seriously though, One can probably make even better edits of Quentin.

Holy shit, Jean is a wizard!

>NuJean Suggestions

The accepted terminology is "Jean Improvements."

(Or "Jean Tweaks," as it were)

She actually was trying to make a gay mutant hit on a straight girl to test his powers in an issue once.

>Who did Marvel think was the target audience for this book?

The people who watch the Fox films. Marvel has this kind of love/hate relationship whenever those films are out. Ike doesn't want to promote the films but whoever is in charge of the comics tailors the comics to semi-synergize with the movies (why do you think they brought Old Man Logan into present day or had an Apocalypse storyline at the same time X-Men Apocalypse was out?)

But Jean is borderline side character in the movies. If they wanted to pander to the movies, wouldn't a Magneto or Mystique solo make sense? Or hell, relaunch New Mutants.

>why do you think they brought Old Man Logan into present day

The real story is actually funnier than that if you have the order of events lined up properly.

1 - Marvel kills of Wolverine
2 - Marvel makes plans to replace Wolverine with Old Man Logan in an attempt to have their cake and eat it too; having a Wolverine to publish but one who doesn't resemble the one in the movies so that they won't be seen as advertising or promoting those films.
3 - Fox then announces the upcoming Old Man Logan film which is later just renamed "Logan."
4 - Ike Perlmutter shakes his fist in furious, impotent rage at Fox Studios for the fourth time that day.

They're making a new movie about The Phoenix Saga