Out of Placers Page #46

...And I thought I had time to actually get things done today.

If you havent read yet, start at valsalia.com/comic/prologue/01/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tbwx9mv9q34&feature=youtu.be
valsalia.deviantart.com/gallery/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Telling him is a bad idea, even if he never returns to the Yinglet compound.

This is some "The King has the ears of an ass" shit.

I think that everyone who could possibly know, already knows if narklet is as smart as we are told.

An interesting point no one brought up last thread was, 1) mysterious eye-eater yinglet was wearing House Ivenmoth colors, and of course the House was apparently well-aware of transformations happening well before any of this happened, if a random librarian knew to report Elim to the authorities (any normal person would just not take them seriously).

As much as I like the aliums theorycrafting from last thread, there's a lot more foreshadowing of dark intentions on Ivenmoth's side than the yinglet capitol, which is probably just a bunch of shitty huts and clay houses.

Patreon text:

>Ran likes to watch the rats fight.

>And though yinglets themselves know they're lower in the social order of the world, being a female is regarded as being nobility, thus Lopin's misunderstanding of Kass' feelings on the matter.
>Also, starting on this page, I'll be including HD versions of the pages on release, with the text bubbles turned off.

So we get glorious reaction image fodder, and Fancy Lad thinks Kass went from nobleman to queen.

Kass doesn't give a shit, young Sokalov thinks the reaction is worth it, and the Trademaster may not be aware of Lopin yet.

Fucking stoked to see human kass again, I wasn't sure if Val would just never draw him again even in requests just to reassert the death of the character

Well I continue to become steadily more worried about what motivates Ran.

Also is it just me or does it look like Lopin fell in love just before being choked.

Not sure what about this revelation makes Kass any more desirable. He... bought a crusty barnacle from him out of pity? To impress a stripper? I think the expression is supposed to be Lopin's embarrassment/confusion considering he just got called slow. My FancyLad will remain gay for the duration of this comic, or so help me god...

and once again, Ran is the only one enjoying himself here.

I think you're giving too much credit to Lopin's very limited intellect. In his eyes, Kass is now not only a VERY sopretty lady, but also somehow a handsome human. That just gives him double the reason to swoon and blush or whatever the yinglet equivalent is.

He's a Yinglet, he's autmatically gay unless he's in the presence of a Yinglady

we have a word around here for gay yinglets

its 'yinglets'

Don't want to derail too hard, but someone in here recommended latchkey kingdom here a few threads back--I finally read it, and damn it is pretty great. Videogame references can be eye-rolling at times, and it gave off the wrong impression over the first couple of pages as to what it really ended up being, but its extremely cute, the colors are nice, and it puts me in a good mood whenever I read it. Would recommend to pretty much anyone else.

Also, El Goonish Shive. I don't know what I expected, but after 15 years of supposed work and almost $50k/year in donations, I know it was better than this. The first pages look pretty rough, but I would take that over the extreme sameface of the modern ones. What is the appeal, other than you-know-what?

I feel like this image is begging for a Val Salia edit

>Lopin passes Kass
>Kass: Oh, you like zat, huh? I was a human male.
>Lopin: Zat's kinda hot.
>Kass reaction at bottom

Would probably be pretty great. I just never understood putting that level of effort into a meme. Like, at that point, I may as well draw something else.

Sometimes the meme is supreme enough to make it worthwhile.

On topic, Val has some kind of bird thing as his avatar on Patreon? That's obviously not one of the races from Out of Placers. Is it from another comic of his? Or just an OC?

Why why theze threads always has to happen when Im about to pass out at 2am after a shit day?! -.-

>browses Sup Forums
>Doesnt know about Tim "Gib the Crib" Buckley

What kind of rock have you been living under?

It's beautiful

Past 4 updates have been mid-afternoon on an early weekday. Might take a while between pages, but I generally know when to expect an update at this point.

It's fun watching watching a group of close friends get into weird, silly and occasionally horrifying situations. And read the convoluted explanations of what caused these scenarios.

The yinglets hand pads are fairly big aren't they? Can you even get a good throttling grip with those things?

His neck is pretty thin, but probably not.

More along the lines of "what the fuck does this have to do with this comic, why are you talking about LKK, EGS, or Fuckley?"

Like, were you going to tie it back to the thread theme and just forgot?

I doubt Yinglets have the upper body strength to strangle one another

More likely she'd accidentally tear open his throat with her claws

No one likes their neck getting grabbed, no matter how hard.

Also, I think strangulation is more of a pressing-your-thumbs-into-their-neck thing than a grasp-fully-and-squeeze kinda deal. I may be wrong, but I'm not going to google "how to strangle a person" sooooo...

you either damage the windpipe badly enough to basically drown them or you apply pressure to the arteries on either side of the neck until braindeath and then regular death

Blood chokes are the best.
Their body doesn't freak out and pump itself full of adrenaline like cutting off the air supply. They suit their breathing and after 10 seconds they fall unconscious, 30 seconds and permanent brain damage occurs, one minute and they die.
Much faster than air chokes.

There was no connection, just wanted to let an user know that his recommendation was accurate, and general reader(s) know that it was worth reading. There was no intent to derail.

The author of OOP has gone on record saying EGS is an inspiration, and hell he gives patreon buxx to the it as well. This is about as relevant a place as any.

Nobody puts more effort into memes than MowTenDew and the result is glorious.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tbwx9mv9q34&feature=youtu.be

Just wanted to say thanks Sup Forums for introducing me to this comic. I saw a thread here about it a couple weeks back and I've been looking forward to updates ever since. Probably up there with my regulars in terms of favorites now.

Also I'd love a private research session with Ran, if you know what I mean.

well, with that kind of get, I guess you MUST be right

Soft fetish stuff, mostly tf and tg. That's the only appeal. It's a comic you don't like most of the time, but when the tg fetish material is running dry it looks more appealing.

beizel, narklet, please go home

leave beizel alone, he's the best husbando

I'm going to breed him without mercy!

With that scarf, Kass could do a cross collar choke.

The get of legends.

>696969

It's definitely a winner, who would have thought that actually-decent world design for once would captivate readers? It also helps that many pages ask/answer their own expository questions instead of just portraying the immediate matters at hand. Catches my attention even when the main plot falls short.

Of course, it's also pretty nice that I can finally be early (on-time?) to a webcomic party for once. Tired of archive-reading and discussions with jaded stragglers and weirdos.

>mysterious eye-eater yinglet was wearing House Ivenmoth colors
It was just a red colored cape of sorts, the rest of his clothes were rugs. Besides, he acted like a yinglet in all ways. Do you see a former human calling fancy lad "cutie"?

>As much as I like the aliums theorycrafting from last thread, there's a lot more foreshadowing of dark intentions on Ivenmoth's side than the yinglet capitol
This has been clear and obvious ever since the trademaster got unusually interested in Kass' situation.

MEMES

That said, Narklet's desire to keep something like the Zhing from the Invenmoths suggests that the traditionalists are looking to gain an edge over the humans
Veracoix could very well just be interested in securing a landline into the Yinglet culture for financial reasons

It's possible the librarian was just told to bring in any requests to know about Yinglets in general. The first thing the Trademaster would have heard about this all would have been when Vizlet came in asking about a female Yinglet in the town.

To strengthen ties and goodwill with Vizlet, he might have put feelers out to see if anyone had heard anything odd about Yinglets lately.

I have no doubt that the Trademaster has schemes in place, but they might have formed with this development and not before it.

>It also helps that many pages ask/answer their own expository questions instead of just portraying the immediate matters at hand.

I hadn't even really noticed this but you're right. Even the pages that are exposition-heavy don't feel exhausting to read and usually add something to the world and/or characters that's in addition to what's immediately relevant.

Honestly this comic has better worldbuilding than a lot of major ones. Maybe it's just the fa/tg/uy in me, but the setting is definitely what drew me in.

The characters are honestly charming too though. The dialogue's gotten a few real chuckles out of me.

I feel you on the early audience thing too. Looking forward to popping into these threads now.

>It also helps that many pages ask/answer their own expository questions instead of just portraying the immediate matters at hand
It works well here, since pretty much everyone but Ran is out of their element

Kass has become a Yinglet
Isher is a half-breed something in a mostly human society
Yannit is the insect version of a weeaboo
Elim's best friend is now half the size, female and might be eaten by a stray dog

Knowledge and education is more-or-less not super common since this is medieval times and peasants don't really get schooled. So explanations don't feel out of place hah

Oh goodie, I have been looking forward to this. I'm so glad I stumbled across one of these threads a few weeks ago and found this series.

>Kass went from nobleman to queen

>Lopin fell in love just before being choked
nah, its just wishing a young female yinglet "many mates and so strong babies" is kinda embarrassing thing to say even for someone as tactful as a yinglet (even for a sofancy one)

>On topic, Val has some kind of bird thing as his avatar
you probably should visit valsalia.deviantart.com/gallery/

>It was just a red colored cape of sorts, the rest of his clothes were rugs. Besides, he acted like a yinglet in all ways. Do you see a former human calling fancy lad "cutie"?
Its a pretty close red; pic related is the cape and kass's shoulder, I think there is greater difference in the artifacts of the page compression. As for his behavior--never said he had to be a former human, just that he worked for house ivenmoth--which is definitely not impossible, as vizlet was already familiar with the trademaster.

>This has been clear and obvious ever since the trademaster got unusually interested in Kass' situation.
My suspicions are specifically that he knows more about the fetish spritzers than he has let on, and probably more than the southern tribes. He lost the artifact to circumstance, and is now trying to study kass to get what info he can now that it has been squandered.

forgot to attach this.

this sounds more accurate now that I think about it

>mysterious eye-eater yinglet was wearing House Ivenmoth colors
ok, this is stupid. why would a spy/infiltrator be using his factions identifiers? even a stupid yinglet would have been told not to. especially if you imply that he was a human.

Who said he has to be a spy/infiltrator? Maybe he found the artifact fair and square. The shit encrusting the gem must mean it was sitting in ancient ruins, in the sand, underwater, or in someones basement or something.

As said earlier, he doesnt have to be a former human. Just a slightly-competent yinglet recruited by the house.

>Fancy Lad thinks Kass went from nobleman to queen
That's... actually a damn good way of illustrating it!

>bird thing
That thing was a drawing I did before starting The OOPs, when I was rehabbing a mockingbird. When I ended up signing up for an FA account, it was the only sorta thing I'd drawn that I figured would work as an icon there, so I used it there and it's stuck.

It's kinda become my stand-in as an artist, though I should probably come up with something new for all these profiles I've got going now.

So many great little bits about this updates
>Lopin's 'muh brain' face
>Ran's utter glee at the whole situation
>Yinglady

Great update, Val
I'm surprised 'Yinglady' hasn't cropped up before afaik

No need to change, I can dig it.

>that pic
It was supposed to be a Pacha meme

I fucking suck

there's no reason to think the color of his little cape means anything special; old worn-out ivenmoth uniforms are likely one of the cheapest and most widely available sources of scrap fabric in the city.

>Who said he has to be a spy/infiltrator?
for what other so important purpose would he be then hired by Ivenmoth? I mean you said he was Ivenmoth because colors. Now, what job does he have as an Ivenmoth yinglet? guard? trader? tax collector? craftsman? does Trademaster have craving for molluscs so strong that he employ his own shell-hunter? dude, be consequent in your theories.

>Val's been updating the Lusty Argonian Maid comic this whole time

And none of you told me. shaking my head familia

Woah better human face expressions, I can tell.

Good job.

>Female Argonian
>Mental changes but not total identity death
>Slow acceptance

Good shit.

>that lingerie

A shame I cannot post the page and an approving Pacha at the same time.

And that's the whole story so far. You're a man after my heart, Val.

We know literally nothing about the guy other than 1) what he looks like, 2) that he acquired ZZ, and 3) beizel wanted him (not necessarily consciously for ZZ, but maybe for questioning and he would have found it anyways). Gotta learn more about him before I can decisively accuse him of anything.

If he is southern as the consensus seems to be, then why would he be bringing it to valsalia? I don't think his intention was necessarily to use it on a random (it is quite the stretch to plant it on a random male yinglet if that were the case, it couldve been easily confiscated).

?

i think he means zhe zhing.

> why is everyone trying to eat my eyes?

Thanks! There was a lot of fun stuff to draw in this one.

>I'm surprised 'Yinglady' hasn't cropped up before afaik
We've established they call the little one younglets, so this was clearly just the next logical step!

>not total identity death
Yeah, that's just not my thing, if only because it essentially ends the narrative arc of a character; so that's something you can safely expect not to see in my comics or other stuff.

!

This all pleases me greatly.

Well, tell us what you thought about it then. Obviously, you liked it enough to read it, but favorite/worst parts? Any characters get on your nerves? How much of the extended universe did you read?

This pic without the speech bubble would make an *excellent* reaction image.

>Who said he has to be a spy/infiltrator?
Officially, Kass is the first and only Yinglet serving the House, so any unofficial servants would necessarily have to be in clandestine roles.

>actual flower dick
Wow, never thought I'd ever be able to see a joke like this one out of Oglaf. I mean that as a complement, well done.

>This pic without the speech bubble would make an *excellent* reaction image.
I do this for you, user

those are some hella gnarly shellteeth

They be extra manly firefighters

You're looking at 1/4 of the Yinglet calendar photo-shoot right there

>Lupin wants to fug Kass (male)

Is it just me or is this jpg all artifact'd and shit?

It must be hell to be an intelligent Yinglet, at least the idiots can be happy in their ignorance.

pretty much explains all the smart yinglets having strong asshole streaks.

Huh, looks like a Nevrean, but not quite.

They're about the same size as Kass' shelltooth just after the transformation.

That was before a design change, and they're even bigger. Kass's tooth came down just a bit past the lower jaw. These guys double the lower jaw

So, did we ever talk about Ran's orbit theory?

It definitely is. The patreon uploads are just compressed especially awful (and that's where OP pic came from). You can find a better version on valsalia.com, but the artist draws an big then shrinks them down as a jpeg so some artifacting is an inevitability

You can ask val for a big one if you want
I know you like the big ones, user

I think he mentioned that he may make the HUEG versions a one dollar patreon reward. Don't quote me on that.

He gave us a huge version with the text removed. See

I fucking love this comic. Also, watching Val grow artistically is really nice too. The style from now and from the beginning is way more refined.

He might, but they will probably leak here regardless. He posted this one here directly.

U say?