Just finished watching Return of the King for the first time in like a decade

Just finished watching Return of the King for the first time in like a decade.

So I know they're going to Valinor, but the implication and allegory here is that they're they're basically passing into the "afterlife" and are dead right?
I didn't notice in previous watchings in the film in the scene just before this, Frodo says it's been 4 years since their journey, but his health is getting worse and the wound he got from the Nazgul hasn't healed (and implied is getting worse), then the scene after is Frodo, Elves, Gandalf leaving Middle Earth forever.

Again lore wise, I know they're going to Valinor (which in lore is basically the elvish afterlife anyway), but does anyone agree that the actual implication here is that they're actually passing from this world to the afterlife and thus it's an allegory for death?

Sort of like in Kaguya, how she returns to the moon, is an allegory for how she most likely commits suicide.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qTstBMkeAH8
youtube.com/watch?v=K3I8I_i8Syw
youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Ax4YJySg
youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=T5y99rpk8to
youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0
youtube.com/watch?v=e9K7fueW4Bk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, isn't it the whole point?

Nearly cried watching this scene in the cinema when I was 11

I think it was more to express that Frodo was done with life, and his story ends here. It signifies he's going to afterlife yes, but I think rather than suicide it just indicates that he's withdrawn from everybody else now in a literal sense. I think the RL equivalent would be literally this - people going off and travelling until they die. Maybe the fields are real. It doesn't matter. Life is over for Frodo regardless.

We're all heading to our death one way or another. Frodo's just done with life.

The fact that the ending is an allegory for Death doesn't mean that in-universe they're actually dying.

That's what an allegory MEANS; it's a thematical parallel for a concept, not the actual concept spruced up.

Tolkien said in his letters that basically it's a purgatory where he can have finally some rest and respite before he dies for real. So is basically most accurate, Frodo is done with life, and goes to rest and die.

>Valinor (which in lore is basically the elvish afterlife anyway)

wrong. Valinor is the home of the gods and most Elves. The halls of Mandos is where Elves go when they die.

I mean, yeah?

Valinor is basically just a stand in for heaven anyway.

Farewell! My brave Hobbits.
youtu.be/qTstBMkeAH8

It is also a subtle nod to the legend of the king under the hill, as in the Arthurian legend, that the hero and champion of the people goes off to a must deserved rest, always watching over the future generations,, ever vigilant should the hour of greatest need come and the need to rise again to defend the land and the people arises.

This is the juxtaposition to the ever present threat of the rise of evil, Mechior and servants like Sauron waiting to gather strength and destroy the world and it's peoples and sew chaos.

And indeed, the heroes sailing of into the great mystery is the fate of King Arthur from the legends as he is taken to Avalon after he falls for the last time.

It is worth remembering that Tolkien did not complete his works before he died, and we don't really know what the fate of Frodo and Bilbo and all of the others may hae ultimately been, or whether we would have seen them ever again in future tales.

Didn't Tolkien have another hobbit book planned for the future or uncompleted?

I am not a Tolkien expert personally.

*sow chaos

God, that scene alone is worth 10 Oscars.

Ian Mckellen is amazing.

No, you fucking retards. It's specifically stated that death is the gift Iluvatar gave to humans, Valinor is not heaven.

So Tolkien was very very religious if you didn’t know, the good boy who went to services every week.

Rather than death I’d compare the travel to Valinor to how the Prophet Elijah was taken to heaven through a chariot of fire on a whirlwind. Frodo, Gandalf, and Bilbo were so holy for taking such an utterly daunting task that they didn’t have to go through the pain of death.

Lord of the Rings is a finished work. Yes, Christopher Tolkien helped with appendices and piecing together The Silmarillion, or providing the "glue" that holds it together. But in no way is there something missing, or incomplete, in Lord of the Rings.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear, I meant that he had not finished his overall works as a writer, and had possibly not finished with those characters, not that the Lord Of The Rings was unfinished.

it sounds like you’re conflating the Arthurian legend with the King under the Mountain which is a German fairytale not Britannic

I cant endure this AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

the fate of souls is ultimately in the hands of Illuvatar, it's the one thing he doesn't let anyone else fiddle with, not even the Valar

the elves (and apparently half-elves) have an eternal material existence, provided that they don't get shanked, whereas everyone else dies normally

but yes it would make sense that the elves crossing the ocean are going to the same place that non-elf souls go, but it's never explicitly detailed

Intredasting, but I was more equating both and many more legends worldwide with what he was expressing with the end of the characters in the story.

You can be sure that the germanic legend had it's roots in some even more ancient culture, the same way the crucified martyr legend predates Christ and was told as a legend by earlier cultures.

He planned a fourth book but stopped after realizing it was a bad idea

Why did he think that? Did he say what is was going to be about?

This. Valinor is basically the land of the Gods who weaved Arda into existence. Just a shithole for immortals to loiter around in

>lotr thread
if you don't mind i'm just going to post some scenes now. thank you for understanding.

youtube.com/watch?v=K3I8I_i8Syw
youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Ax4YJySg
youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=T5y99rpk8to
youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0

It was basically going to be a reiteration of Mein Kampf but at the time he deemed it too risky to publish such a novel

Whatever else happens in the future, we have the books and we have the LOTR trilogy. Nobody can take that away.

Aren't the BBC doing a LOTR series with a super multicultural cast? All they'd have to do is buy the rights and whatever they say becomes canon.
>Leeroygon
>Son of ?

it's amazon i think.
>with a super multicultural cast
we don't know who's cast yet.

>All they'd have to do is buy the rights and whatever they say becomes canon.
so?

there is no allegory or real-world comparison other than good vs evil in lotr

So it could end up like all the SW fags who had their precious EU shat on in favour of nig nog stormtroopers.

Why didn't the eagles ride gandalf into mordor and sling the ring into Mt. Doom using a slingshot?

doesn't matter. the books and film trilogy exist on their own. i couldn't give a shit if people mangle the material from here on out.

it's not really allegory as they're literally going to Valinor, where Hobbits, as a type of Man, wouldn't normally go to in their afterlife.

how does that cgi look a million times better than anything in the hobbit? hollywood is such a fucking joke, big ass money laundering scheme

I guarantee you'll get your panties in a twist if they fuck with LOTR. This entire site will be up in arms. It's like someone fucking your gf. She's still yours, you've fucked her before and you can fuck her when you want, but now some other cunt is busting a nut on her asshole and your just expected to deal with that.

how dramatic.

Amazon can have its own universe/continuity just as Jackson has his.

There are times in the LotR triology where the CGI is sketchy. The moment where the Balrog leaps out of the fire is great, but I think it looks a bit weird when it pursuits the fellowship to the bridge. And it looks bad whenever they shrink and composit in the hobbits, instead of using some camera trick or a dwarf double. But watching the BTS footage, I was impressed by all the clever tricks they used. When Denethor is kicked into the pyre, the flames are real, but not actually there. They lit a fire on the side of the set, which was reflected on a glass panel put between the camera and the pyre.

>"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."

Frodo doesn't go to Valinor itself (it's implied that mortals wouldn't like it) but an island of the coast of Valinor, Tol Eressea. However it's still close enough to bring Frodo some much needed comfort. He lives the rest of his years in peace until he finally dies for real. He was done with middle-earth however, so I guess you could say that he "died" in that way. No mortal in LOTR ever became immortal since mortality was a gift bestowed upon humans by God, and no earthly power had the power or authority to take that away.

if you're gonna post the shadowfax scene, you gotta post one of the best chase scenes of all time:
youtube.com/watch?v=e9K7fueW4Bk

>There are times in the LotR triology where the CGI is sketchy
yea, but that's more because cgi always ages horribly; that shit looked fan-fucking-tastic at the time of release
even so, lotr's cgi is still much more in good taste compared to hobbit, where everything looks so fucking rubbery

The halls of Mandos (small part of Valinor) are the afterlife, Valinor is "the promised lands" or some shit only Elves were allowed because muh master race or some shit

love that scene

100% pure kino.

>Valinor
>a shithole

Valinor is litteraly the most beautiful place on Arda, you dumb nigger.

>allegory

I watched the version of the Hobbit yesterday which condensed the three films into one film with less than half the total runtime. It still has its flaws but goddamn is it so much better than what we got. It’s a testament to how awful and pointlessly bloated the screenplay was that you can literally remove half of the scenes with no noticeable difference. No Radagast, no Sauron, no Legolas, no Alfrid, no be romanced, no love story, no barrel chase, no gold melting and no stupid cartoony bullshit. Turns it from 3 3/10s to one 7/10.

where can I buy the bluray?

Fug that was meant to say necromancer

It’s free online m80

good post

i didn’t want to say anything but yeah OP is a fucking illiterate retard

link?

I'm REALLY stupid and lazy

Well then you can fuck off

>tolkien was a hack
atleast he didn't write it

Was there ever a better casting?

post the link you jew

>I was going to write A Song of Ice and Fire, but I thought it sucked so I didn't write it

Kek

Top fucking kek

The speeches in these movies are the best, I love boromirs as well

>perfect all white cast
Never again.

>Sort of like in Kaguya, how she returns to the moon, is an allegory for how she most likely commits suicide.

Dont you fucking dare to mix up or compare that shit with tolkien's work