LOTR

So back in what think was 77, or 80, there was a musical cartoon adaptation of the Lord of the Rings series. When I was a child, I did not have any sort of television but I did have a bunch of VHS tapes that I watched over and over. These were in that pile.

I found one of them recently, but unfortunately my grandmother got rid of it before I could nab but in the mean time I know what it is. I rewatched the, online and I really liked them but that may be from biased.

But no one ever talks about them, yet they are amazing. Is there something I don't know? Are they actually just really bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI
youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU
youtube.com/watch?v=RaHRFlPCtsU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ive seen them too. They are weird and really only work if you (like me) love 70s weirdness (think any Star Trek the animated series weird)

Give us some links?

There was the Ralph Bakshi cartoon in 1977. Not heard of a musical version.

youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI

Didn't they have one or two songs, like Where There's a Whip There's a Way?

That from a cheap ass tv ROTK cartoon that made Bakshi's rotoscoping look good:
youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

>hating on Rankin-Bass
I admit their RotK wasn't that great, but come on.

youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

RIP

>I did not have any sort of television but I did have a bunch of VHS tapes that I watched over and over

dude i was born in the 80s, my parents had the hobbit (the rankin bass one) recorded on VHS. it was the same tape that had princess bride on it

no fuckin way man they're great. watched them repeatedly as a kid (and i mean repeatedly). i watched it again as an adult on youtube coming down from mushrooms. saw faces in the walls of gollums cave. good shit.

*starscream voice*
NO MAN MAY HINDER ME!

I had this shit as a kid. My friends at school thought I was a soothsayer cause I kept spoiling what was going to happen.

>I didn't know I was being a spoiler I thought I had some special god given insight

>I did not have any sort of television but I did have a bunch of VHS tapes that I watched over and over
Just sat them in a stack in the corner of the room and stared at them for hours, man.

>orcs singing hippie shit about not wanting to go to war and being forced by generals

I think its less them not wanting war and more about them being lazy pieces of shit.

It's not hippie that's how soldiers in most conflicts feel. Shit like WWII is rare. And in this case they know they'll always be treated like shit and it's just a higher up wanting shit for himself.

There's a musical version of The Hobbit from... I wanna say '77. It's pretty good and an excellent example of how to abridge a longer work without compromising the plot and character arcs.

Ralph Bakshi did an animated version of Fellowship and Two Towers which featured a sort of hybrid of traditional animation and rotoscoping. Also good, if a bit flawed in some ways.

And then there's the musical version of Return of the King........ We don't talk about that one.

I loved the Hobbit film from the 70s. A really great adaptation. The Lord of the Rings movie would've been nice if they didn't run out of budget. Actually, I thought the parts where they couldn't finish rotoscoping would have been cool if they could have planned them for the wraiths instead of mostly happening with goblins.

>I loved the Hobbit film from the 70s. A really great adaptation.
I couldn't handle the "elves". I mean seriously, what were they thinking?

There was a live musical for awhile got canned due to being too expensive.

youtube.com/watch?v=RaHRFlPCtsU