Have soldiers stationed at mountain peaks for hundreds of years just for the one in a lifetime chance that they'll need...

>have soldiers stationed at mountain peaks for hundreds of years just for the one in a lifetime chance that they'll need to light the beacons

Wouldn't it have been more efficient to just send messages with the eagles?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_beacon_system
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who cares, kino scene

t. soyedditor

why not ask Gandalf to send a butterly?

The Eagles are chaotic neutral, they would probably lose the message on purpose.

I must have autism 'cos when I was 11 or so and watching this in the cinema I was thinking
>Damn this shit is cool
And then immediately after
>How did the guys up there find food and supplies? Did they spend their entire lives up there, or just a few weeks or months?
>What if one of them was sleeping when they were getting lit?

Ummm no, they actually helped against Sauron's army and rescued Frodo and Sam

the eagles are notorious alcoholics
gandalf probably asked them but they were either wasted or hungover

why would the eagles summit to being human messengers, also beacon fires were a real thing and light travels faster than big flying birds so still no

Why didn't Legolas just run across the mountains really fast? I mean if he can run fast enough to find the sun

>why would the eagles summit to being human messengers

Eagle unemployment rate is worryingly high, they need the jobs

>Ummm

Only because God compelled them to.

>Doesn't actually know that becons were used for centuries in medieval times

better question
why did they ride horses when they could have rode eagles

Were they also placed on high mountain tops where no one can live?

can't they user
can't they

>eagles fly faster than speed of light

lmao

Why did the nazgul only started riding the fell beasts after their horses were killed? it would be much easier catch the Hobbits if they could cross water.

They signed a treaty that forbid them to employ fell beasts unless certain conditions had been met.

That just means youre smart enough to think about the deeper implications something brings instead of instantly accepting it as "wow so cool" like normies do. The real life version of the same situation is pretty similar except that the shortsightedness of normies actually can get people killed by the millions.

I'm pretty sure everyone wonders about it somewhere in the back of their minds, most just aren't autistic so they can ignore it in favor of enjoying the movie, understanding that sometimes realism is irrelevant.

Some people unironically dont care about realism in real life.

Literally existed in RL mate

Those people also happen to not agree with your opinions, right?

Wew u got me there, bazinga amirite?

Seeing the amount of butthurt in your post, I certainly did get you.

Doesn't look at all like the beacon in OP's pic. For one, it's a structure, and isn't on the top of a fucking mountain.

>being jaded in general means you burned me with your comment
Wew

It's fine, it's all fine.

its not going to replace cuck. Just give it up.

It happened in real life

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_beacon_system

who was paying those soldiers? what did their health benefits look like?

worst meme in years

Most importantly, how did they file their taxes on time?

they probably just worked up there in shifts, like 3 months at a time or something.

I'm not beyond thinking this has origins in some viral marketing campaign for the beef industry.

>rotating shifts
This really isn't complicated.

It's still a huge waste of resources

How did the soldiers survive when the windchill went down to -60C

why didnt the eagles just drop rocks on sauron's eye from high up

the job allowed them tax free benefits since they were alone and had no idea when they would ever get home

Obviously it wasn't since it was pivotal in the preservation of men.

small huts

Really? It literally nearly saved the city

/thread

like what? a couple dumbass soldiers and some food?

they used eagle shit to light their fireplace to keep them warm

Man you're stupid

only bc he's responding to a retard like you

fantastic rebuttal

Yeah they're basically firewatch stations. Not really sure what OP's problem is, it's a practical enough solution.

Yes, even the incas used them

they do everything in the least efficient way possible

Thanks for sharing user that's historiffic
here's my history fact for you
>6 Million or more Horses died in the First World War. Possibly up to 11 Million

These might have been the greatest cinematic films ever created. Every year that goes by makes me believe that these are going to be revered fifty years from now as the epitome of theatrical entertainment, when movie theaters no longer exist.

They obviously worked in shifts you twats

Especially when you take into account you could use old people, kids and soldiers that got hurt and can't fight anymore. You could also use it as a "soft punishment" for smaller crimes. It's a fantastic idea, and in a worlf were food wasnt always available the idea of spending a month eating with one more guy instead of working on the fields is extremely attractive. OP is retarded.

6 million, got proof of that rabbi

This is so f*cking funny, I love it.

because it would alert large communities and thus by proxy the kings of middle earth to the coming war
they appeared as hooded riders on black horses

They could've just painted the beasts blue and fly really high so no one would notice them

really? I know a lot of horses died, because nobody was used to this new kind of warfare, so they still charged tanks and machine guns with cavalry, but those numbers are pretty high

Maybe the villagers closest to each beacon knew that if they saw one lit they should hike up to the beacon and light it ASAP with the understanding it was likely a national emergency? So mean time between one beacon being lit and the next one is an hour or two for the nearest Gondorian to get up to the next beacon and light it. In the lighting sequence in the movie Pippin lights the first beacon in broad daylight, we see several lighting at night, then Aragorn notices in Rohan around mid morning.

I count about 11 beacons in the sequence. So let's say Pippin lights the first around 2 PM and Aragorn notices the final one around 9 AM the next day. That means that there were 19 hours for those 11 beacons to be lit. We know the beacons closest to Gondor likely have permanent guards, as we see them light in quick succession. Or it's possible the beacons are more like a mesh network and that there are multiple beacons within visual range of each other beacon to incraase redundancy.

Basically, the time between a beacon being lit and the next in sequence being lit is probably about 19/11 =1.72 hours, +/- an hour let's say. That seems a reasonable amount of time for the closest villager to notice a beacon has been lit, hike to the one they know is their duty to light, and light it.

Although none of this matters because they were explicitly permanently manned in the book and there are exactly seven between Rohan and Gondor. But yeah stop being autistic it would take a total of 14 men at any given time to keep the seven beacons up Jesus christ. That's not a huge fucking investment from the Kingdom.

Who told you they lived on top of the mountain?
There were probably mountain villages, and they all had a designated person for that, like tradition passed down from generation to generation.So when they saw the beacons one of them climbed up and lit it

The real problem with this scene is there are no paths to the beacons that show how manning and resupply of the beacons would be done. But then, it wouldn't be the only time Jackson sacrificed the logic and logistics of the Tolkien's world in favor of aesthetics. Minas Tirith is supposed to be surrounded by farms and countryside too.

best soyism I've seen

Why didn't the orcs just kill one or two of the beacon posts in advance?

Based autist

I don't know about you, but I can forgive little oversights such as these in a project like LotR. I mean the logistics of war are never important in the series and I think they don't have to be.

There was heavy import tax on fell beasts due to Sauron's aggressive war preparation taxes

it's hinted in this scene that those guys have some sort of hut where they chill in; kinda like Just resuply with the next shift and you're fine

>Wouldn't it have been more efficient to just send messages with the eagles?
i honestly can't tell if you're shitposting the eagles meme or being serious
someone send help

Just amphetamines, no autism here.

the true holocaust

Is it true that the reason that Eru didn't get involved to destroy Sauron was because he was scared he'd get corrupted by the Ring and then destroy creation?

what would happen if you put the ring on your dick?

>just amphetamines
:^)

>"It's unendurable. It is the moaning of the world, it is the martyred creation, wild with anguish, filled with terror, and groaning." -Paul's comments about the sounds made by the wounded horses. Ch. 4, p. 62. All quiet on the western front

>Tolkien lived through this.
>These kinds of memories fueled the darkness of LOTR.

No

What a shit meme

Develop your hypothesis

Epic win!! xDDDD

Why didn't Harry just put a Horcrux on a SpaceX rocket headed for the moon?

Eru didn't get involved because he's not real.

>what trees talk about
>100 best canadian songs

you do realize that soyboy will keep being used because its an easy trigger for retards like you, right? if you didn't respond to every instance of soyboy and give trolls instant gratification then the phrase would never have caught on.

oy vey muh six gorillion

i think eru just wanted to watch how the whole deal plays out

first movie is best by far

cuz the dude hated them

t. soyboy

its stolen from the vikings who actually did this, but at bottom of fjords where people actually lived

no you greatly overestimate majority of people

>have soldiers stationed in the arctic for decades just for the once in a lifetime chance they'll need to report nuclear missiles

Iirc if youve read the book, they employed Ents as sentries at the top of the mountain. Ents lived long lives and barely needed upkeep

this, if you need to burn some wood, call an ent