Honest thoughts on The Dark Knight trilogy?

Honest thoughts on The Dark Knight trilogy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TKdjsu4-704
youtube.com/watch?v=6v58yzDYWjg
youtube.com/watch?v=K6GJtL9KGtA
gothamalleys
batman-online.com/features/2012/7/29/comic-influences-on-the-dark-knight-rises
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Very uneven.

unironically great. even TDKR is overall very good apart from some nolan retardation

third one's a piece of shit

Still better than what snyder put out

DKR feels disjointed because Heath fucked everything up. Also, Bruce should have used his brainpower in addition to brawn to get out of the big hole. Like, come up with something clever. I don't remember any major complaints with the first two. I guess TDK feels too long sometimes to rewatch. The stuff with the chinese mob or whatever bogs it down a bit.

Pure kino iconography

youtube.com/watch?v=TKdjsu4-704

youtube.com/watch?v=6v58yzDYWjg

youtube.com/watch?v=K6GJtL9KGtA

gothamalleys . blogspot . com/2011/08/comic-book-references-in-movies-part-v.html

gothamalleys . blogspot .com/2011/08/comic-book-references-in-movies-part-vi.html

batman-online.com/features/2012/7/29/comic-influences-on-the-dark-knight-rises

Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Rises

>Batman Begins
dull except for Liam Neeson

>The Dark Knight
dull except for Heat Legend

>The Dark Knight Rises
dull except for CIA and Big Guy

I'm not a capeshit fan, so yeah

First one's great. Second drags on way too long but is fine. The third shows how much Nolan did not give a fuck and was contractually obligated to continue even though he obviously had planned on Heat Legend being in it from the get go.

a steep rise until the masked man crashes the trilogy

Good for you? Why post in capeshit thread?

the first 2 Nolan Batman movies transcend capeshit movies. I enjoyed them both. Dark knight rises is a capeshit mess. Very disappointing

>Begins
Really dull run of the mill origin story. Stupid villian stupid save the city plot. Only movie with good fight choreography though.

>DK
Great plot, great acting from everyone. Script is choppy in places probably the only thing keeping it from being a masterpiece.

>DKR
Still don't really know what to think of this one. It's got some great ideas but but it's also fucking stupid.

That I'll agree too

If you haven't seen TDK at least 20 times you don't belong on Sup Forums

What is the difference between 4K HDR and a normal bluray? It just seems like they're double dipping
Plus the DRM means you have to upgrade everything to watch it, again double dipping

Begins has grown on me though I didn't care much at first
Dark Knight is great all round though Two Face wasn't very Two Facey, but an interesting character in his own right
Rises has been ruined by memes

HDR from what I hear is a drastic improvement visually if your TV/monitor supports it. I don't feel like investing in new displays yet to take advantage of it. Not to mention having to buy a player that supports it.

Batman Begin is pretty meh, didn't even like it when I was younger.
The Dark Knight was great in every aspect, still worth a worth every now and then.
The Dark Knight Rises was trash even before Baneposting. It felt like nothing big for a finale to the trilogy.

Blueray = 1080p
4k = 2160p

Basically 4k means a better picture, though as someone who grew up renting VHS, bluray quality is absolutely fine and the leap with 4k isn't a game changer.
But hey tv makers need to keep selling tvs

Batman begins is still my favorite

BB mediocre
TDK very good
TDKR complete utter garbage

It's a big trilogy

batmobile bits were cool.
i could happily never see any other bits of those films again

For you

If you haven't seen it at least 20 times while dressed as The Joker you don't even deserve to live

The Dark Knight rises was such a grim flm

So good that it tricked people into anticipating capeshit flicks for the next 10 years. Nothing will ever top it as far as superhero movies go.

4k is higher resolution, and HDR equals much wider range of colors and looks fantastic on tv's that actually support it.

Capeshit was a rising trend before Nolan even made Batman Begins. Educate yourself underage.

The Dark Knight is top 3 capeshit of all time easily and i can only but feel mad when thinking about what could TDKR have been if Ledger hadn't died

TDKR was the best of the three. The Joker is an overrate villain, Bane is much better.

People always say the Nolan Trilogy is very dark and serious but honestly the only movie that fits that description is TDK.

Begins has a lot of levity and sweet moments between Bruce and Alfred and the plot itself isn't too dark, while TDKR is too over the top and unintentionally funny. In TDK though Rachel dies a very tragic death (right after dumping Bruce for Harvey), Batman lets a bunch of people die, Harvey is mindfucked beyond salvation and Gotham is saved through lies. I don't think the other two get nearly as somber tb h

Overall I love the first two and enjoy the last one. Here's a picture of a Brazilian trap.

Rises > Begins > Dark Knight

Dark Knight is absurdly overrated. Joker in that film is deus ex machina as a character, he is unbelievably competent and lucky, and retarded.

>literally burns all his money
>when he can somehow afford to run a massive gang of criminals

Bane is the best part of the trilogy by far. Talia is the quintessential Nolan subversion. If Nolan had his way every villain would be an abstract non-character for the sake of plot.

Burton's original 2 films will always be the best by the way as they had any development for the villains while Nolan's films give out roles to boring shit like Commissioner Gordon, Batman's girlfriends and his butler. They feel like generic thrillers with a superhero flavor on top. Ashamed to be a comic book movie. The dialogue in DK especially is really pretentious and up its own ass. Characters may as well talk in rhyme.

DKR is also very very flawed. No muzzle shot. All the films have horrible audio mixing somehow (no one points this out). The original Burton duology was far better written and directed, the only advantage Nolan has over Burton is that he had better technology/filming equipment, but even that is ruined a little by the shit CGI in Begins.

I never understood this character.
He seemed very important and in charge of the entire CIA, yet he disappears never to be seen again.
I thought Nolan was going to make a film about him so I understood his motives and how much he impacted the plot of TDKR.

It's 10/10 if you consider BvS instead of TDKR as the closing chapter. God damn Rises was goofy.

Too theatrical, everyone talks like they're rehearsing for a Greek tragedy and speaks in stories and metaphors. Characters are incredibly shallow because Christopher Nolan mistakes everyone being a fucking philosopher with real depth.

Still, better than the current DCEU.

>2/10 not enough quips
Who invited the Marvel Pakis here?

This

Ledger's performance is great but it's not accurate for Joker. I wish we could know how it'd be received if he hadn't died, might be a Eisenberg Luthor reaction considering how he spends all his time licking his lips, talking in a dumb accent and chewing the scenery.

True, tho Snyder wins by a mile in action scenes, the warehouse fight in BvS is better than any hand to hand combat scene in Nolan's trilogy, the truck chase scene in TDK is amazing tho.

Begins is great
TDK is very good when it's not trying to be 2 different movies. Maggie Gyllenhall is poorly cast and drags down the movie.
DKR is good overall but Catwoman and Talia drag it down a lot. Has similar problems as TDK where it feels like two movies. If Catwoman was cut out of the script entirely it would have been great.

I feel like Nolan has issues with women in his movies, they're all the worst part of his movies.

I wish the beat down worn Batman in Rises was replaced with the BvS beat worn down Batman. I don't fucking get Rises. TDKR ends with him as the dark knight driving into the night, in Rises he's suddenly retired and pretends to be crippled? What was the TDK ending about then? It's like BvS continues that story instead of Rises.

>There's no middle ground between orange slices and tangerines

Did anyone find Gyllenhal attractive in TDK? Not saying she's ugly but for a Hollywood actress, I wonder how the fuck she got cast.

And she's a shit actress too. Original Batfu was best in Begins.

Absolutely nothing wrong with tangerines. It had thematic relevance to Bruce trying to understand the Joker.

>Heat Legend

Are you using voice to text or are you just that bad at spelling?

I think Ledger's death really fucked up things for them, the plan was to keep Joker as the villain for TDKR

I fucking HATE Bale's Batman. Everything about it:

>busy as fuck tacticool suit
>the voice
>the way he leaves his fucking duck bill mouth open so often (pic related is from the scene he has with catwoman in the rooftops, after delivering a line, and he does it through the entire fucking movie)

GodDAMN do I hate it. It's such a shame things didn't work out with the current DC films because honestly Ben is great.

Fuck Ledger Joker, Hardy's Bane is the better villain.

>BuuuuUUt iif I taaAAlk liiiike I'm on craAAAck don't you ThiiinK I'm ReaaaLLy deeeeeep?
No need for development, screen presence, backstory, just do a silly voice. Ledger would be on MTV Movie Awards rather than the Oscars if he hadn't died.

Rises is pure shit tier given a pass because of the hype
It should've been rotten tomato

To much stupid shit. The plane scene- I still have no idea what is going on even having memorized every line thanks to Sup Forums, that scene where Bane says "I'm a necessary evil" and kills the guy is played straight serious but it feels comical.

Catwoman is annoying, Alfred's fantasy comes out of nowhere, the ending is stupid. Honestly the whole thing sucks.

Ledger had screen presence like a motherfucker.

Granted, the make up and costume does all the work, especially in such a dull and realistic looking film. The acting is all ham with no substance.

yep

>the make up and costume does all the work
I disagree, the costume itself was intentionally low key, and Ledger put on that makeup himself before filming each day, bar the smile scars obviously. His delivery was on point.

they were big films

Katie Holmes is definitely better. I remember even Kevin "never saw a bad cape movie" Smith said it wasn't very believable that the two hottest guys in Gotham were fighting over her in TDK.

>when he can somehow afford to run a massive gang of criminals
Its literally a plotpoint that his followers are attracted to his insanity. He's a cult figure to them and by the time of the climax, his followers aren't even the mafia guys anymore.

First two were good by capeshit standards, I enjoyed them as much as I can enjoy capeshit, the third was crap though, well, at least it gave us baneposting.

Begins fags are total fucking contrarians. That considered a mediocre movie when it came out, and it just looked worse than TDK came out.

Ironically this, but unironically.

>in Rises he's suddenly retired and pretends to be crippled?
I assumed it was supposed to be taking place like a decade after TDK, and Bats retiring happened off camera.

for you

A bunch of cult followers who are able to set up elaborate multi million dollar hostages situations on ferries. They never develop this cult angle beyond a couple of token lines of dialogue about how he's changing the business.

Cult of Joker sounds like an interesting head canon to fix this mess.

I can't take that scene seriously as someone who knows more than nothing about Batman.

>Cult of Joker sounds like an interesting head canon to fix this mess.
I thought that was the official canon. Aren't many of them ex inmates of Arkham asylum?

Pretty good overall, second one is great

I only liked the first one.

>They never develop this cult angle beyond a couple of token lines of dialogue about how he's changing the business.
Sure, but it's still there to justify it. And honestly, its just as believable as the sheer idea of Batman existing.

What, you're one of those fags that thinks that there's something wrong with Bats killing a dozen people?

what scene?

I just don't know why you'd make a Batman film where you don't know a core principle of Batman. Especially when there's a bunch of superheroes who don't have any problem with it.

The one where Batman shoots a bunch of people to death with a gun.

Yeah I'm sure it's in the comics, it's in the games

Instead of all that interesting sub plot we got shit like the police versus the politicians of Gotham. And watching this almost a decade later, I realized in high school this angle went completely over my head.

And even now when I understand it, I still think it's a massive waste of time and up its own ass with that and many of the other subplots. Meanwhile Joker is basically not a character. He's an abstract postmodern version of a villain. At least Bane has an attempt at backstory and character building, and the stupid Talia twist is easy to dismiss in terms of enjoyment though it is equally retarded.

This might be true but if you look at 89 Batman, the Joker is actually a character with some depth. Not to comment on the two performances, but I much prefer 89 Joker for that. Ledger is obviously second best not counting animation but that's not saying a lot.

Yeah, I know. If they wanted to they could have demonstrated Bats was so unhinged he had abandoned that code but they never establish it in the first place so what the fuck.

>Yeah I'm sure it's in the comics, it's in the games
It's in the movie. That's the only thing I'm talking about.

Who gives a shit every film version of Batman kills. Don't be a faggot.

And most Batman adaptations are shit. There's a big coincidence there.

>If they wanted to they could have demonstrated Bats was so unhinged he had abandoned that code but they never establish it in the first place
What? Did you fast forward the dialogue of Alfred telling him he's turning into a paranoid fuck? Or when Bruce explicitly admits he's lost faith in his cause? Or when the film over and over again points out how brutal Batman's method are leading Clark to confront him? Watch the movie next time it usually helps.

The flaw in the movie is it's told and not shown. You never see Joker's gang develop, Joker himself gets no development, he has no arc over the course of the film. At the end he's not even that upset that his boat suicide idea fucked up.

For how much TDK relies on the Joker, he's one of the weakest parts of its story. When you really think about the story, Joker is like a small part in a generic thriller about cops, crooks and politicians like Two-Face. You could trim so much fat from all that crap and give more to make Joker relevant outside of being an edgy chaos agent.

BvS isn't a good movie even ignoring that scene.

>waah waah muh comics
Fuck off back to Sup Forumsmblr

>Did you fast forward the dialogue of Alfred telling him he's turning into a paranoid fuck? Or when Bruce explicitly admits he's lost faith in his cause?
None of which addresses his no kill policy.

misunderstood, esoteric, conspiracy oriented. mediocre and overrated by plebs, i saw the last two multiple times unfortunately in theaters i guess i got attached to them

Neither did the Burton or Nolan versions. Like I said, don't be a faggot ovee this.

>Neither did the Burton or Nolan versions.
Nolan version did. Pay attention to movies mouth breather.

>He's an abstract postmodern version of a villain.
That's the thing about that version of Joker. In 1989 version they showed us Joker's origin. In Nolan's version he talks about his past all the time, but nothing of it is true. He's just a chaos incarnate, nothing more.

He kills numerous times in Nolan films yet doesn't reflect on it. Go watch the films again you libtard faggot.

>don't talk about comics in relation to an adaptation of the comic

He reflects on it a lot. ADHD giving you trouble again there buddy?
>libtard
You ok?

>He's just chaos incarnate, nothing more
But that's terrible writing. It's no better than the shit Nolan wrote for Inception with how "deep" the ending is, Joker can both be a symbol and a character at the same time you know?

On the other hand, Two-Face, Gordon, Batman's girlfriend, random crime bosses, random police men and women, thugs all get some degree (though not satisfactory levels) of development. Joker is if anything trying to be as 2deep4u as possible.

I thought this approach was shit in Begins too. The only villain who even tried was Bane in this trilogy. At least Al Ghul had some motivation and a purpose.

It's the best capeshit ever made, yet that says very little considering just how terrible capeshit is.

Still, the trilogy is entertaining.

why is her butt glowing

He kills Ra's. Doesn't care. He kills Dent. He probably killed dozens in collateral damages if you do a body count. It's impossible to be Batman and not kill. Only Sup Forumsmblr are still sticking to a retarded rule cinema shits all over repeatedly.

>Batman Begins
Great Bruce Wayne movie. Kind of goes to shit when he becomes Batman.
>The Dark Knight
Great Joker movie. Not enough Two-Face. Overrated.
>The Dark Knight Rises
Great cinematography. That's about it.

>2deep4u
Why does this entire post reek of Marvel Paki? Nobody said it was deep. Stop making up imaginary arguments cocksucker.

>He kills Ra's. Doesn't care.
He actually came to that decision after reconciling it with his code. It wasn't very well executed but at least they addressed it.
>He kills Dent.
Accidentally, and he is wracked with grief over it. Learn how to pay attention when watching a movie mouth breather.

Marvel is just shit. Name one memorable Marvel villain. It's all garbage.

Doesn't make the pretentious approach Nolan took with Ledger Joker any better though. The difference is Marvel doesn't ever try, Nolan in his films is trying VERY hard but in really artsy and ineffectual ways. If the Joker isn't deep in that film he's just shit. The implied symbolism is all he has besides the wacky performance, which would put him on par with the Marvel shit.

t. fan of 89 Joker