If you haven't seen pic related you should seriously watch it because it's one of the greatest films of all time edition

If you haven't seen pic related you should seriously watch it because it's one of the greatest films of all time edition

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/kfAK9d
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>b&w

lol

entry level tryhard core i'm sure

I've seen the film and you're absolutely right, it's tryhard core.

Fuck, I owned this for a while but never got around to watching it. No idea where my copy is. I did see Dragon's Return which was released by the same company (it was quite good, a kind of pagan western)

go back to capeshit, brainlet

>old slavs doing nothing
looks boring

I can't imagine how someone could find this 'tryhard', even if you look at this as a piece of anthropological documentary rather than an art film it's still an incredible work.

You're the tryhard, not the film.

you're the crab in the bucket friendo.
OP don't let anybody pull you down for watching what you like.

thanks mom

It's terrible as an antropological documentary. That's the entire problem with hacks like Hanak, brakhage, snow, le cain, Krolikiewicz, benning etc, they're obsessed with trying to make their films as avant-garde and unconventional as possible without making any kind of real artistic statement. You might as well watch warhol's films. Deren and Chambers are filmmakers that could actually incite emotion in their films, I much prefer them.

np, child

braaaaaaaaaap

What is it about, looking at google images it just seems like a russian black and white gummo
>Lol look at these quirky old poor people doing menial shit LMAO weirdos

>waahh stop liking what I don't like!!
maybe grow up?

DANCE OFF BRO
ME AND YOU
ORANGE SLICES
NOW I'M REALLY MAD BIG GUY

Next try actually looking into the films of the directors you list because when you lump up a bunch who make drastically different films it just looks embarrassing.

Typical tryhard answer

What do you guys think of August in the Water? You can get it here: discord.gg/kfAK9d

what a blowhard you are. why anyone should give a shit about some nobody's "authoritative" opinion is beyond me

FUCK OFF SOTOTH YOU DISGUSTING FAGGOT NO ONE WANTS TO JOIN YOUR SHITTY DISCORD

Did you read what I wrote? It doesn't surprise me that a Hanak fan has shitty reading comprehension.

there's nothing tryhard about letting people enjoy what they enjoy and discover their film taste and encourage them to do so.
x is better than y because I say so when x and y have no relation is incredibly haughy

Yes and the point still stands.

slept pls

Except people who are fans of films like OP are almost always the same people who will shit on someone for saying their favorite films are something entry level like Kubrick or Tarkovsky

Except you are retarded and it's not true.

No it doesn't. Read what I wrote again.

why would you assume your words are important enough to be read twice? what an arrogant fool you are. now begone!

If you go to the discord you can talk about any type of movie and always get recs.

Thanks for proving my point

Not true at all

I'm sorry (not really) if somebody called you names on an anime image board for enjoying something but you should get over it.
And you're doing the exact same thing you're supposedly so much against.

You clearly didn't understand when you read it the first time.

Watch the films of the directors you listed so you can see just how stupid your post was.

Just come! You'd be welcomed.

oh, I understood what you wrote all right. i just don’t think it’s a particularly good use of my time to argue with some nobody who thinks they can play director alphabet soup and get away with it. next time, maybe consider actually watching a film or two before bloviating.

I've seen many films from all those directors and my point still stands.
So you have no actual point, exposing yourself for the pseudo-intellectual tryhard you really are? Nice to know.

the point is pretty simple dude. you threw a bunch of random directors into your sentence with no regard for their real formal or thematic approaches to the medium. back the fuck off, child.

You've seen many films by them and you can't figure out their respective artistic statements? Go on, list a couple I will ask you questions about them to make sure you really did see them and then explain some of them to you.

You still have not grasped the intent of my original statement. The directors I listed all shared the quality I was talking about. Your lack of intelligence is astounding, sorry I insulted you by calling your favorite director a hack.

okay, why don't you go ahead and substantiate the supposed similarities between any three (3) of those directors. or you could slink away with your tail between your legs like the ignoramus that you are. your choice.

>The directors I listed all shared the quality
Video interviews with old people share the quality of trying to be as avant-garde and unconventional as possible with some of the most austere structuralist works? What the hell are you smoking kek

You're wrong, though. Maybe try watching Through and through, Hanak is not even remotely experimental, you will like Landscape suicide and act of seeing with one's own eyes if you like Chambers and I agree Snow is not for everybody but he's not always serious.

I already listed the similarities you buffoon, it's not my fault you are unable to read.
>the most austere structuralist works
could you be more of a pseud?

That doesn't happen though. Obviously everyone has to start somewhere. Having favorite films like that is just fine. Anyone would be happy to provide you with recommendations and a direction in which to go. The reason you would get shit on is if you have those as your favorite and think that that is as good as it gets. If you don't take recommendations and write off anything more obscure as "try hard" or pretentious. Because then you're just ignorant.

I doubt it. I really dislike most of the films and directors that seem to be talked about in the discord, like I can't stand piavoli for example. I just find his films boring, but if I say that, I'll immediately be labelled a pleb.

Have you been to the discord? What happened?

Did anyone get labeled a pleb for disliking something yet?

>they're obsessed with trying to make their films as avant-garde and unconventional as possible without making any kind of real artistic statement

those aren't similarities; that's just you making some sweeping, unsubstantiated generalization. honestly, talking to you is painful. also, nice comma splice.

Why are you still replying to this obvious bait?

no

i said that movie sucked and i'm one of the most-respected members of the chat

>nice comma splice.
typical pseud response. Sorry you're still not able to grasp the intent of my original statement.

There you go.

you guys just pretend to watch this stuff right? nobody really likes movies do they?

Pretty much, movies suck.

that's probably because you're one of eh's buttbuddys

Have you been to the discord at all?

yes. it's shit. the ratio of film discussion to discussion about dicks is like 10-90

I love Piavoli but I don't think you're a pleb for not liking him. I'm sure there are filmmakers you like that I don't. For some reason you're assuming that there is a collective idea of which directors one is allowed to like and if you differ from it, you're a pleb. But if you have your own taste in film developed that you can articulate and discuss then your opinion is no less valid and I would love to discuss movies with you

>he thinks benning is structuralist
lol

Benning is heavily influenced by structuralism, I was referring to Snow.

>influenced by structuralism
structuralism isn't a movement or a philosophy. This is why no one takes Sup Forums seriously.

There hasn't been any dick discussion in days.

any discussion that eh is part of is a dick discussion

What more do you expect from discord pseuds?

Goddamn you people are unable to follow a discussion. The one you just replied to is a "discord psued" and the one he's arguing with is not

Of course it is, in case you aren't baiting read Peter Gidal's Structural Film Anthology.

You're right. He thought he could namedrop academic lingo in place of arguments and get away with it. It's why I laughed.

No it isn't.

>reading about movies instead of just watching movies
I sure hope you guys don't do this

>Deren

>Structural film was an experimental film movement prominent in the United States in the 1960s
I don't know who's baiting who anymore

t. brakhage
Your movies are shit stan

Clearly some plebs in this thread can't be arsed to watch films
so I figure they might as well read up on them in order to stop embarrassing themselves.

Anybody who uses terms like "structuralist", "expressionist" or "humanist" to describe a film or filmmaker is a pseud

Probably not baiting, just plebs who have never heard of structuralist films and merely googled 'structuralism'.

It's not, you wikpediababby. Structuralism and poststructuralism are theoretical attitudes that came about when film studies took its "linguistic turn in the 60s and 70s and was very much symptomatic of the early field wanting to depart from appreciation and be taken seriously. The theories are a bastardized semiological branch of Eisenstein's attraction principles.

Humanism is not a film movement
Expressionism is not a movement outside of German expressionism
Structuralism is a movement just like FNW or New German Cinema... you seriously think also somebody 'namedropping' FNW to refer to a movement a director is part of is 'pseud'?

>Structuralism is a movement
No

pseuds btfo

>Expressionism is not a movement outside of German expressionism
No. German expressionism for film is just a catch-all term for Weimar flicks with shadows. There was no movement.

I watch it. I just pretend I enjoy it and that it's not boring.

>depressioncore slavshit

OMG LIFE IS SO TERRIBLE AND HUMANITY IS OUT FOR THEMSELVES WITH NO EXCEPTIONS! EVERYTHING IS BLEAK AND MEANINGLESS, FREEDOM IS A TERRIFYING THING TO STUPID PEOPLE, AND THE WORLD IS A COLD AND UNFORGIVING PLACE! LET ME DEMONSTRATE THIS BY HOLDING THE CAMERA ON THE DESOLATE BARREN WASTELAND AND THE PATHETIC MONGRELS WHO ARE THE CHARACTERS FOR MINUTES AND MINUTES AT A TIME AS THE AUDIENCE SHIFTS UNCOMFORTABLY UNDER THEIR GAZE! HA HA HA HA! I AM SUCH A GENIUS! THANK GOD I WASN'T PURGED BY STALIN OR ELSE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SHARE THIS MASTERFUL VISION WITH THE WORLD! YES, YES, LOOK AT HOW SHE TORTURES THE CAT! IT IS A METAPHOR FOR THE CORRUPTION OF POWER! YES! POWER... CORRUPTION... HUMANITY SUCKS! NOW GIVE ME MORE MONEY TO FUND MY NEXT NIHILISTIC MASTERPIECE!

Stick to video games.

Why compelled you to write this post?

All art movements are catch all terms for works with similar aesthetics, philosophy or methodology behind them, that's literally what they are. Are you trolling or retarded?

What*

this isn't a filthy magyar tarr thread friend, you must have mixed up your pasta

LOOK AT THEM DRUNKENLY DANCE! THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS BASEST, MOST SINFUL! IT IS TRULY THE TANGO OF SATAN! AND THAT'S WHY THIS CHAPTER IS CALLED, *giggle*, SATANTANGO!

>confuses movement with film theory
>implying one can negate the other

Structuralism in film is a movement because a bunch of directors adhered to the theory behind the movement.

Unironically the best post in this thread.

yeah, just like the Continuity Editing movement in early Hollywood, or the Cinema Vérité movement
kill yourself, wikinigger

>Structuralism in film is a movement
it's not a movement. the theory is apporopriated semiology to try to scientifically evaluate shot relationship. form is not a movement, you fucking dunce.

Why are you so upset?

Is there an issue with shitting on people for having entry-level taste? This is fucking Sup Forums, for God's sake.

People shitting on me for having that kind of taste inspired (shamed) me into broadening my horizons and checking out movies I would've likely otherwise dismissed as edgy or pretentious (much as you are now).

hey that's me!

Go to wikipedia and educate yourself on the basics.