What's the point of surrealism?

What's the point of surrealism?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/75qy3z/all_fenn_confirmed_in_a_recent_interview_that_she/
youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What’s the point of fiction?

it's for artfags who think they are "special"

emulating the aesthetics/experience of a dream state, ditching realism and narrative coherence in favour of disorientating the audience with inconclusive plots and an emphasis on visual storytelling (without much of a clear "story" to go on). Abrupt endings, sharp contrasts between states of being and unpredictable characters.

Arthouse=kino famalam

I don't know.

Most art tends to follow the same pattern of
[artist's emotion] -> [artist's interpretation of emotion] -> [art] -> [viewer's interpretation] -> [viewer's emotion]

However, the truth there is so much muddling in the interpretations when you try to show things so literally or so tied to to real experiences because the fact is that art is not real and we're already tainting it with that perception. When something is surreal, it seeks to reach that emotion in a more organic and possibly instinctual way. It tries to get straight to that emotion, often discarding logic or preconceived notions of what the art should be, in order to convey the meaning in a more pure way.

What's the point of objective reality?

this

What's the point of making movies tbhqhfam?

Do you see how his hair floofs up, curling, winding, ultimately achieving nothing but a sense of style to an otherwise uninteresting old man? It's kinda like that.

Arthouse is more than just surrealism, and your pic related isn't really surrealism either.

Yet surrealism tends to be arthouse..

>arthouse=surreal

>nothing but a sense of style to an otherwise uninteresting old man? It's kinda like that.

>t.arthouse patrician

Being able to fuck hot sluts behind the scenes for 25 years

What's the point.

disgusting granny

Mommy!

Found the Lynched poster.

To fill your work with weird looking shit and not have to explain it in anyway

how do I get hair like this?

I want to cum all over those legs

I see surrealism as being kind of like symbolism, but instead of the odd elements representing anything they're just there. The focus is on emotion.

To display aesthetics unattainable by conventional mechanics.

magick

Can you expand on that?

Who else has been reading every post in this thread in Lynch's voice?

It's ok to admit that you don't get it, brainlet.

You have more room to make something interesting/different if you don't entirely stick to conventional standards.

>implying

okay.

It's stimulating

Great post

Audrey REALLY really hates The Return.

Who cares, she literally made Lynch rewrite her part because she’s a stupid bitch and didn’t like Audrey having anything negative happen in her life

in what way?

really? sauce?

>a ho ho. look at this old pleb, his hair achieving nothing.

Don’t sperg out at a reddit source, the rest were from Youtube because it was an interview, this has a writeup

reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/75qy3z/all_fenn_confirmed_in_a_recent_interview_that_she/

putting panties in my mouth

Lynch isn't surrealism. Lynch is LOL SO RANDUMB

True surrealism in a way intends to propose surreal solutions to problems, as in making up fantastic, unreal ways of solving problems.

Like say
>I'm a NEET autist loser
>I pull a potion out of my ass that makes me a Chad
>Now I'm a Chad and drowning in pussy.
that would be a surreal concept.

One way to understand the difference between surrealism and LOL SO RANDUMB is that surrealism answers questions, albeit in a seemingly absurd or senseless way, while LOL SO RANDUMB poses questions that go nowhere.

>I made it my own idea. And surely in a "different" world compared to the one in which the other characters move. The fans said maybe she's in a coma, or died, but I do not see her fate so obscure. For me she lives like in a dream dimension, I like to think that there is light in her, that she has not won the darkness.
that's actually good to hear.

and her leaving the show in a tantrum after hearing what happened to Audrey isn't all that surprising given the character arc.

The Return left it much more mysterious (the Richard Horne son reveal is hinted at rather than straight out spelled out up until the final episodes). If Lynch had been more up front with the Bad Coop/hospital rape it wouldnt've been as effective.

Maybe her having a tantrum helped the show?

It's mostly shitposting

>ahh, y'know what, I can't be bothered to write a good screenplay. just put a bunch of strange images together with some fragmented, vague dialogue and let these assholes apply some meaning to it themselves and give me awards for giving them the opportunity to do so

source?

>True surrealism in a way intends to propose surreal solutions to problems, as in making up fantastic, unreal ways of solving problems.
this is the literal opposite of what surrealism is.

>pure state, by which one proposes to express — verbally, by means of the written word, or in any other manner — the actual functioning of thought. Dictated by thought, in the absence of any control exercised by reason, exempt from any aesthetic or moral concern

there is no logic in surrealism, let alone enough to solve a "problem"

it's an interesting thing to aim your eyeballs at

>The Return solves the problem of evil coop by having an interdimensional giant give a green rubber glove to a british lad who will eventually punch a rape demon orb to death
even though that definition was pulled straight from your ass, how does this not fall within your bracket of "surrealism"?

Elephant is garbage
so is that shot-for-shot remake of Psycho by that same hack director

it has nothing to do with movies i can tell you that you plebs

>this is the literal opposite of what surrealism is.
WRONG.
>Encyclopedia: Surrealism. Philosophy. Surrealism is based on the belief in the superior reality of certain forms of previously neglected associations, in the omnipotence of dream, in the disinterested play of thought. It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.
>It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.

>there is no logic in surrealism, let alone enough to solve a "problem"
that's exactly the point, that surrealism bypasses logic. That's why it's surrealism. It obviously doesn't "solve problems" per say, nor really "propose solutions", it's just hard to explain, it essentially pretends to get you from A to B but bypassing all logic and realism.

you sure about that?

Will Lynch’s son make kino? He’s like 17 now

see
>>Encyclopedia: Surrealism. Philosophy. Surrealism is based on the belief in the superior reality of certain forms of previously neglected associations, in the omnipotence of dream, in the disinterested play of thought. It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.
>>It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.

I didn't pull this out of my ass, it's essentially the definition from the Surrealist Manifesto by André Breton from 1924 ffs.

youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek

ah yes, it obviously doesn't solve problems, even though you literally said
>propose surreal solutions to problems, as in making up fantastic, unreal ways of solving problems.
(that's twice in the same sentence btw)

>WRONG.
I literally quoted Breton's definition. Breton was wrong about the concepts he defined? ....okay then

>It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.
that means it substitutes the psychic architecture of problem solving.

Surrealism itself doesn't solve problems. It replaces the process of solving problems.

> [artist's emotion] -> [artist's interpretation of emotion] -> [art] -> [viewer's interpretation] -> [viewer's emotion]

Actually it's more like:

[artist's emotion] -> [artist's interpretation of emotion] -> [art] -> [external object in real word] -> [viewer's interpretation] -> [viewer's emotion]

We all share the same universe, so it is the common thing we all can understand. By forcing his art to be more realistic, the artist can better communicate his interpretation and emotion to others. Other people do not exist inside his head, they do not experience his emotions and toughs exactly as he does. When he avoids realism, he avoid being understood by anyone who does not think exactly like himself.

He’s got his daddy’s hair so probably

>essentially
for one thing, we're talking about surrealism as an artistic practise, rather than philosophy. So the whole idea of "solving problems" is essentially irrelevant because that isn't what art does. Also, please tell me again how Lynch isn't a surrealist, despite me giving you an example from his work that is decidedly surreal.

you're clearly illiterate, so no point in arguing with you.

if you wanted to be realistic you wouldn't make movies, you would go out in the world and make things happen there

all movies are fake as shit, which doesn't make them bad, but you never forget yourself

you literally quoted a Breton passage that proves you wrong because you can't parse what he was saying.

see: There is no objective to surrealism. It can't "solve problems"

You donkey-brained retard. What "problems" do Dali paintings solve? Arrogant simple-minded cunt.

even if surrealism does solve problems, they're certainly not the made-up problems inside the work itself, so user is double stupid

i get what you're trying to say, ignore those brainlets

This pretty much. Alot of surrealist shit is legit talentless trash, blockbuster tier.

>Lynch isn't surrealism. Lynch is LOL SO RANDUMB

>pure state, by which one proposes to express — verbally, by means of the written word, or in any other manner — the actual functioning of thought. Dictated by thought, in the absence of any control exercised by reason, exempt from any aesthetic or moral concern
wtf does that mean

what does this mean

Why didn’t Laura Palmer just tell Sheriff Truman or Hawk that her daddy was blowing his hot loads into her cunt night after night?

david lynch steals all his visual ideas from surrealist artists and then claims they came to him "in a dream"

It's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme.

Frankly my dude I just like looking at pretty thinking moving around. Film is fucking magical.

something that bypasses conscious logic and has no inherent meaning.

it's sort of disingenuous to say Surrealism doesn't solve a problem though. In a broad sense the movement sought to solve the problem of dialectic rigour and reclaim intuition as a creative force, without diving into metaphysics.

That's probably not what that user intended though.

No one likes a tattletale

what the fuck is psychic architecture my guy

>In a broad sense the movement sought to solve the problem of dialectic rigour and reclaim intuition as a creative force, without diving into metaphysics.

there are only a few times when the audience has been smarter than the writers.
Lynch knows this.

Sherilyn Fenn literally looked like a walrus a few years back. Glad she UNJUSTed herself for The Return though

A movie to tie up everything after The Return would be perfect desu lads

I’m not even a sherylfag but

CUTE
U
T
E

dialectic rigour = Freudian and Hegelian models of how we understand the world, eg through psychoanalysis or through thesis.

Intuition as creative force = subconscious drives and random play

Metaphysics = fuzzy unscientific areas like the soul or religion

If that doesn't help just read the manifestos

It's a crutch for people who can't tell actual stories in film.

Nothing needs to be tied up nigga

It invites creativity and is entertaining to watch.

I give up.

To hit uncharted waters.

Originality.

>implying you need to tell a story through a film
You don't NEED to tell a story through a painting but you can. Film as a medium's ability to capture time certainly encourages directors to tell a story but nothing is required.

How about a movie where Sheryl and Sherilyn and Madchen are tied up then?

you're not on /r9k/.

Elephant is the opposite of surrealism, it's realist to its core, it doesn't even use music or fancy camera work for this exact reason.

And blacked?

Personally I just enjoy its unpredictability.

user, NO!

I like trying to understand it, even when there's nothing to understand