Films that left no impact on the publish Zeitgeist

It's funny, last march people were unironically saying this trash was better than Godzilla (2014)

it was fun.

Neither was memorable. But at least you can have fun with Skull Island before you forget you watched it a week later.

Kong was stupid. Godzilla was just bland

>no one remembers skull island
>no one remembers godzilla 2014

... and?

I liked Kong Skull Island a lot. It was like a trashy 50's B-movie, but done really well. Larry Fong's photography was gorgeous.

>but muh 3D
It was a huge draw for maybe 2 years at most. Nobody cares about it anymore.
>but muh groundbreaking CGI
Looks like shitty video game cutscenes. It got overwhelming and bored quickly.
>but muh endless planned sequels
The last person to have seen Avatar 1 in the theater will be dead by the time 2 finally releases.

What are some recent movies that actually left an impact? I feel like all movies nowadays are forgotten after a month or two.

>Films that left no impact on the publish Zeitgeist
Most people forget pic related exists and when they do it is to complain about it. Characters are uninteresting, CGI sequences are average Hollywood affairs at this point, music is lackluster, and it's too serious for its own good.

Kong knew exactly what it was and didn't pretend to be anything other than that.

It excelled at being a dumb action movie with tons of scenes of Kong just wrecking shit, some solid comic relief, and anime references out the ass. It had a sense of style.

Godzilla was boring as shit, dark, and I have no fucking reason why they thought anyone would want to watch a movie that was 90% kickass trying to get home to his wife and 10% godzilla actually being godzilla. The goddamn halo jump from the teaser trailer was the best part of the movie.

Now Shin Godzilla on the other hand... that movie was all around great.

It
BR 2049

People still talk about BvS everyday

shin godzilla was kino

it helps it was directed/written by the guy who literally invented anime

Your a brainlet if you didn’t realize Kong was a metaphor for US foreign policy in the Middle East. Kong was Saddam Hussein and the Skullcrawlers were ISIS.

I'm in this movie in the very beginning i play one of the hippy protesters.

Fury Road and probably The Social Network. But yeah, movies are mostly disposable entertainment. There were 300+ American movies from the year 1950, and like 150 movies in just the year 1975. If every movie, or even a fair amount of them, was a really enduring film then it'd almost be too much to handle.

For a lot of movies, the most they hope for is to mark time. For a little while one summer, everybody's talking about Jurassic World; everybody's seeing Jurassic World. It's a shared experience in the culture, and it's value is that it's impermanent. It's like pop music. You aren't supposed to listen to Blurred Lines or Despacito forever, you just join in with everybody else and listen to it for a while, and then move on. Real art can make you feel alive. Most movies and music are just supposed to make you feel like you're alive right now. Jaws is a classic movie that everybody should see. Jaws 2 isn't terrible, but the time to see it was summer of 1978, when it was huge.

I liked Godzilla, Kong, Shin, and Pacific Rim!

Sicario

Yep.

Jacksons Godzilla was a lot better. The bug fight. The kino T-Rex fight etc. I watched it on UHD in HDR the other night (the extended version). It was a blast.

I meant King Kong of course (I only just fell out of bed).

>tfw genuinely enjoyed this movie in the theater
>can hardly remember the plot at all
I just remember that Bryan Cranston dies like 10 minutes in and then Godzilla breathes fire down the big flying monster's throat. Hopefully the sequel will be more memorable.

>kong flick
>kong punch choppers
>kong punch monsters
>pilot guy escape to have hotdog again

it needed it's cast trimmed a bit, but otherwise it was good.

What movies from this year do you think will be enduring? I think BR2049 will be a cult classic much like the first film. The Last Jedi might just endure on brand name alone, but it could also be buried over time by all of Disney's other Star Wars yearly releases. Baby Driver will probably stand the test of time. Depending on how well received it is, I think the Shape of Water could too.