Hey Sup Forums let's talk about one of the greatest animated movies ever made. When did you first see it?

Hey Sup Forums let's talk about one of the greatest animated movies ever made. When did you first see it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2_JlxZg1f7k&t=5378s
youtube.com/watch?v=Uudu_hVQeA8
youtube.com/watch?v=VpKIMXmuzMo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumping with one of my favorite (and most well animated) scenes

When I was 6, in theaters. It still holds up today as one of the Greatest Animated films of all time. If you line that one, you should check out this Hungarian animated film called "The Tragedy of Man".

You've got that right. I mean just look at this. The movie is full of beauty

Forgot pic

Personal anecdotes about the Prince of Egypt, huh? We didn't go to the movies to see it, but we had it on video. I remember my mother blasting it on her home theater system all the damn time. With her Bose radio. Especially that Through Heavens Eyes song, haha goddamn I got sick of hearing that one. One of my last pleasant memories of her, actually.

I wouldn't call it the greatest animated movie ever, but it was good albeit controversial. The musical numbers were solid. My favorite is Deliver Us.

>not Playing with the big boys now

Deliver Us is legitimately the most impactful opening I've seen to any musical animated or otherwise.

Draws me right in.

WITH THE STING OF THE WHIP ON MY SHOULDER

>"The Tragedy of Man"
Amazing film here.

youtube.com/watch?v=2_JlxZg1f7k&t=5378s

And the salt of my sweat on my brow...

ELOHIM!! God on high!
Can you hear your people cry?!

It could be pretty great, if wasn't pathetic propraganda.

I think I first saw it on Cartoon Network, which is pretty fucking weird in hindsight

Sequel where they wander the desert for 40 fucking years when?

Help us now, this dark hooooouuuur

This movie could be as factually accurate as Star Wars or Independence Day and I wouldn't care. I didn't watch it for a history lesson. I sought to be entertained.

I wish Sup Forums were less up its own ass and political. The general atmosphere of this site is a lot less chill than it was years ago.

I totally agree. I'm a Christian but I love this movie just because of how visually stunning it is every frame is just beautiful.

I WILL NOT BE THE WEAK LINK

I went to Catholic school and we watched this every year

>Book of Exodus is propaganda
Go back to your containment board

Saw it in theatres and loved it as a kid. I watched it again about 6 years ago and was fucking amazed at how great it was.

Seriously, I don't give a fuck if you're the most militant atheist, if you love animation and disney-esque musicals you should watch this movie.

Through Heaven's Eyes is my favorite piece of music from a cartoon/musical.

I remember being just a kid, around 6, or 7 when I first saw it. My grandmother had a VHS copy of the movie, the only animated film you could find in her home. Every time I went to her home I'd always end up watching it, and I spent at least a couple of days every week at her home back then, so I was really exposed to this movie back then. I could only begin to really appreciate it when I was older, but even then I thought it was awesome, specially because I was raised Catholic until my teenage years.

Literal Smoke and Mirrors

This movie is great.

My family had had a copy on vhs since I was 4. It was easily my favorite move for the longest time. While I've grown to like other movies more, it has always had a place as my favorite animated movie.

I saw it shortly after it came out on video as a weekend rental and immediately regretted not having seen it in theaters.

Was fucking flabbergasted to discover there is a sequel available on Netflix. Apparently it's about Joseph and his magic technicolour dreamcoat.

Anybody here seen it?

DELIVER US
SEND A SHEPHERD TO SHEPHERD UUUUS
AND DELIVER US TO THE PROMISED LAND

Fuck yeah, the choir singing this gets me so amped. Amazing song.

>Some ok songs
>animation is decent for a straight to video movie
>brightly colored
It is a prequel so no connections to Prince aside from setting

Lapsed catholic, turned atheist reporting in.

Shit yeah, Prince of Egypt is stunning and as far as I can see, very respectful of it's source material?

There's even a title at the beginning explaining that this is their attempt at the story and the story of Moses can be found in the book of Exodus.

Removing your own religious convictions and lack thereof, it's pretty amazing this movie exists. I really can't imagine an big budget animated movie based on a bible story with overt references (hell, an actual appearance) by God being made today. They'd rather make commercially safe projects like pic related

we watched it in high school and everyone loved it
which was weird

>there are people who don't think Playing with the Big Boys isn't kino

You can't deny their routine was strong though.

I watched them both back to back.
That was unfair to Joseph. I'm sure it would've been a decent movie if it wasn't following up fucking Prince of Egypt.
Also because this is Sup Forums I'd like to air my grievances with biblical kids movies having almost Chel tier women. I shouldn't think of the bible while having a tingly peepee. That's the first thing they teach you in Church.

Well it is Dreamworks, they made El Dorado and Prince of Egypt, so their women are always going to be pure sex

I shouldn't be having those feelings about Moses' wife or mom.
That's the kind of stuff that makes Jesus cry. Or smite. Maybe both. Jesus could definitely have tears made of lightning.

>Moses' wife

Why wouldn't you want to bang a Ethiopian chick? Unless you're Moses' sister.

Actually I think she's Palestinian or y'know whatever you want to call Ancient Israelis.
>You'll never be a thirsty Egyptian Cougar's slave boy

>wants his people free
>hardens the pharoahs heart just for the lulz
what the fuck was his problem

Smells like baby geniuses

Its implied that she was executed if i recall. Potifer doesnt play

To be fair the movie doesn't explicitly state God hardening Pharaoh's heart, only the first instance where Pharaoh does so to himself.
I looked it up, I'm sure it's just some Bible mom's theory and not a theologian proper but they said it's basically Karmic retribution for all Egypt's sins. God harden Pharaoh's heart as an ironic punishment for Pharaoh hardening his heart in the first place so he couldn't pussy out as God was enacting revenge upon all of Egypt for the murder of the jewish babies. Also I heard on Sup Forums there was also some crazy God Wars going on in the background
Only because Joe was a snitch. That's why he was a slave in the first place.

Hey, I legit just finished watching the whole thing. I was weirded out by how dated some of it looked until I saw the ending and realized this was one of those long productions due to finances and such.

Subtitles were kinda off so it was hard to follow who was saying what, but I got used to it by the middle. Really enjoyed the Dystopia section's artstyle, I wish there was a separate movie soley based on this artstyle. Otherwise this was a really weird and interesting movie, like a more focused Heavy Metal.

In the book of Genesis or in the movie cause I don't recall either. He tossed Joseph, his chief servant, in jail. Pretty sure its implied he believed his wife.

Un the movie he jails Joe as a compromise to execution because his wife admits he didn't rape her

The movie gets me real emotional. Especially the relationship between Moses and Pharoh.

Eh it was really boring and the animation was a complete downgrade

ONCE I CALLED YOU BROTHER

ONCE I THOUGHT THE CHANCE TO MAKE YOU LAUGH

WAS ALL I EVER WANTED

I'm actually going to see it this afternoon. Can anyone tell me what I'm in for?

animated adaptation of some story in the bible.
=^)

I SEE THE FIRE RAINING DOWN

I get goosebumps everytime just by how beautifully animated it is. Soundtrack, story adaptation and narration are also perfect. I wonder if they will ever make big budget 2D movies like this again. It's been like 20 years and this is still the peak of the technique. Now Dreamworks can't stop producing fucking Shrek

youtube.com/watch?v=Uudu_hVQeA8

>not thinking the animated retelling of the story of God's final prophet is the best.

>No breastfeading scene
I'll pass

Zipporah is supposed to be a Cushite (my mistake, unless she's a Cushite from Ethiopia), it's why Moses' sister said what is basically today "Why are you dating a black person?". To which God replied, "Hey, racism is only allowed when I say it's allowed, bitch. I'm gonna curse you".

What's the problem here? The Egyptians are reddish brown and the ancient Israelites are lighter, while still being pretty tan. That's what the Egpytians depicted themselves as anyway.

Can't believe I took the bait.

I rented it like fifteen years after it came out, it was awesome. It really is one of the best animated movies. It has more emotional impact than Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin or Lion King. The relationship between Moses and Ramses is so complex and mature, and Ramses himself is one of the most three-dimensional and sympathetic villains you'll ever see in an animated movie.

Also get the chills every time during the plagues. What a climactic scene.

How many people were beheaded for this?

>it was good albeit controversial

Controversial?

Fuck off Sup Forums.

>yfw Rameses II was actually a fair-skinned ginger

Beautiful animation, great songs, great directing, great movie.

iirc it was mostly "WAH, they're taking liberties with the bible, WAH".

It actually surprised me how faithful to the source they were. The changes they made didn't really matter for the most part.

I'm glad you liked it.

this is probably five levels of haram

Well, there's stuff like Moses actually talking instead of Aaron and Aaron being a dick in general.

My catholic grandmother took me to see it in theaters as a child. No idea how old I was, but whatever year it came out. I liked the singing but thought the plagues were a little intense at the time.

Yes, but as I said, it's not really that important, it's just dramatization.

BUT MY MUMMY AND DADDY MADE ME GO TO CHURCH SO THIS FILM SUCKS WAHHHHH

youtube.com/watch?v=VpKIMXmuzMo

swedish version is best. Ofra Haza is amazing

>To be fair the movie doesn't explicitly state God hardening Pharaoh's heart, only the first instance where Pharaoh does so to himself.
I think Prince of Egypt changed just enough from the source material to make a good cohesive modern day movie, the OT isn't exactly structured in a way that's concerned with "good" storytelling.

See also stuff like the murder Moses commits being an accident while he's trying to do a good deed, rather than him just being a total piece of shit.

I'm an atheist-tipping fedora golem and PoE is still one of my favorite movies of all time

I really appreciate how they never tried to whitewash the 10th plague.

There's no softening or any sort of exaggerated attempt at justification. It's terrifying and horrifically sad to the point that you're questioning your protagonists and let's face it God, for a couple of seconds
At the same time they've built up and shown the horrendous suffering of the Jewish people that you can't hold on to that resentment when they're finally free.

It's powerful storytelling that put's a lot of trust in the maturity of it's audience.

The most insane part of this was at the end of the final plague when the wailing and screaming from the Egyptians starts up, then continues to play quietly in the background of the entire next scene where Moses confronts Pharaoh for the last time and then has a cry. It's insanely ballsy.

It's a fantastic animated adaption of mythology. Doesn't really matter if Exodus was a post-exilic fabrication and ahistorical.
If people can love Greek/Norse mythology as a source for popular entertainment they can love Judeo-Christian mythology as well.

Well, I just came back from watching it, and it was pretty god damn amazing. Easily my favorite Dreamworks film, and it may even be my favorite animated film period (I may need to re-watch it to fully decide.) But still, it was easily a 10/10 in my book.