Things you would not expect about creators based on their writing

ITT: Weird facts about creators contrary to their works
I'll start. Mark "the edge" Millar is a devout Catholic. The guy who wrote shit like "The Saviour" "American Jesus" and "Canon Fodder", all of which are complete pisstakes on the church (not to mention wholly unchristian works like The Unfunnies and Nemesis) is a serious Catholic.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Scotland#Statistics
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35953639
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gaiman
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I honestly would not have guessed Alex Hirsch was such a stick in the mud about Trumps and in your face with pro-liberal agenda. Everytime I saw photos of him, he was always partying or out a bar. His interviews have him acting crazy and fun while doing voices. And GF is just one big silly, fun cartoon. I imagine a guy like that would be laughing his ass off during election day, not telling the brave people of California to stay strong under the rule of the new Fuhrer.

Also, I would have never thought CH Greenblatt would've been capable of a meltdown after the whole Nickelodeon Harvey Beaks incident. Both HB and Chowder seem so cute and light hearted. I would've thought if ANYONE in the industry would have blown their fucking lid by now, it would've been Lauren Faust.

>Millar is a conservatard
Color me surprised.

Catholic =/= Conservative
Many more Liberal Catholics than other Christian denominations, at least in the US.
I would point you to how often Millar makes fun of republicans, but that obviously doesn't mean shit.

Well, I am Russian and don't know the exact situation in America, but recently I found out Curt Busiek is a modern day liberal, which is a weird fact to me because during his Avengers run especially the way Triune understanding manipulated the masses, the mob behaved itself exactly like modern day liberals in America demanding diversity for the sake of diversity.

While reading Superior Foes I didn't expect Nick Spencer to be a massive gaping cunt.

Isn't the Fix still good?

Generally the people who talk the most shit about religion either are or have been involved with it deeply

Why do you think fedora tipper atheists tend to come from devout families?

catholics (outside of 90% catholic countries like Poland or Italy) are, or at least historically were, less conservative than christians from eastern orthodox or protestant churches

>I wasn't born or lived in a Roman Catholic country

>(outside of 90% catholic countries like Poland or Italy)

There's a shitload of Catholics in Scotland.

>Latin American or Irish Catholics are progressive as fuck

Aren't they mostly Catholic?

>Liberals are a manipulated mob whose only platform is diversity for the sake of diversity.

Did you learn it reading "Russia Today"?

>doubting our god Putin
The day Mother Russia takes over your country, I will personally tell the Commissar what you said in this board.

Catholic and Protestant.

>progressive

I'm Catholic and everyone in my family is either centrist or center left.

Of course, in Canada the whole political pendulum is moving farther left all the time so we might be right pretty soon.

First thing I thought. How can such a humorless cunt write that book is beyond me.

>centrist or center left
I.e. you will vote left or right depending on what's more fashionable on that year.

Considering I went to an all boys Catholic High School in a pretty Catholic area, you can shove that right up your ass.
I literally specified the US in my post too. Kill yourself.

>you can shove that right up your ass
>all boys Catholic High School
Oh yeah, there's that too. Catholic priests love to help Catholic boys to lose their virginity.

Mike Allred (Creator of Madman, artist of Silver Surfer and X-Statics) and his colorist wife Laura are Mormons and they had an arranged marriage.

Apparently, they where nervous about each other but when they found they both liked comics, that's what they bonded over.

He wrote a graphic novel about the Mormon story of the Golden Plates.

No.

By reading Iron Fist reviews

>Mormons, i.e. terribly racist and homophobic
That explains why they work for Marvel.

>Mark "the edge" Millar is a devout Catholic.

You mention American Jesus, but in the afterword to the first trade Millar goes on about how much he loves Jesus and his plans on depicting the real Messiah in the sequel
Which he's written and should be out this fall.

>h-ha ha if I make rape jokes it will strengthen my point
Listen here nigger, I'm not even a catholic anymore, I'm an atheist (inb4 fedora comments) so I'm not defending the Church or the religion, I'm making the factual comment that being catholic doesn't automatically make one conservative.

I never read the trade, just the scans lol

Wasn't liberation theology catholic?

>letting parties and identity politics dictate your decisions for you instead of examining choices on a case by case basis

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

>nigger
Roman Catholic confirmed.
>I'm an atheist
Well, duh. I'd lose my faith if the padre came in my ass every night too.

Damn, that is fucking surprising.

>implying being liberal is better
you keep repeating history sven

Yeah, but you're dead, Obi-wan, so what the fuck do you know about it?

There's a scan of the trade haha.
It's really interesting stuff. Millar's take on Jesus is pretty neat sounding.

And honestly, American Jesus isn't really a pisstake. It's a story about the Anti-Christ, and a lot of things in it are painted that way. Especially the seduction toward belief that the lapsed faith Priest goes through.

It actually makes a lot of sense in a twisted way.

>Weird facts about creators contrary to their works

Todd McFarland left Marvel and founded Image Comics in part because he felt cheated for not getting royalties on Venom merch with his art because they Marvel Lawyers it was a "Spin-Off of Spider-Man".

Neil Gaiman took Todd to court for not reviving royalties for "Medieval Spawn" and Angela toys because Todd argued that those two wouldn't have existed without regular Spawn.

So basically Todd McFarland is the worlds biggest hypocrite.

something something one with the force something something more powerful than you can possibly imagine

also checked

That Garth Ennis likes Superman.

At first it made no sense since he always shat on capes, but then someone put it in perspective: to Ennis, who lived through The Troubles, vigilantes are stupid bunch of cunts. And most capes are vigilantes. Except Superman. He will not kill you unless you're Darkseid-tier evil, and even then he'll have to stop and ask himself if you're *truly* as bad as Darkseid. He'll just take you to the authorities after you've been pacified. Technically can count as a citizen arrest.

Okay I laughed. You're still a fucking faggot though.

Do people in this thread think that anyone who is religious is a hardcore believer? Most religious people do it because they were raised on it and are used to it or as a way to cope with certain elements in life. A christian who goes to Church every Sunday or a Catholic who celebrates Lent isn't going to immediately hiss at the idea of writing themes that goes against the hardcore aspects of those beliefs. That's kind of what being a professional is. I'm sure there's a ton of people who worked on King of the Hill who don't agree with some morals, that didn't stop them from writing scripts or storyboarding it.

I enjoy it quite alot yeah. Up to issue 8 now.

That's not his house. His house is full of arcane spells and magic runes.

And Zubats, apparently.

>a Catholic who celebrates Lent isn't going to immediately hiss at the idea of writing themes that goes against the hardcore aspects of those beliefs

No shit, almost every original Image founder is a scumbag. They left to make MORE money when Liefield was literally getting seven figures a year from Marvel. I'd imagine Lee and McFarlane were at least in the high sixes.

Nah We've known Moore is a huge hypocrite and bullshiter, the man who wrote Top 10 and Supreme saying he hates capes? Give me a fucking break

>Well, duh. I'd lose my faith if the padre came in my ass every night too.
user... something you want to share?

His don't work.

I thought fedoras stuck to reddit. Are comics even euphoric enough for you?

That just reminded me of one of the things Grant Morrison said about Millar's Wanted:

"For all his growing reputation as a shallow sensationalist, Millar was an altar boy at heart; he used the language of the lowest common denominator to preach hellfire. Wanted was an epic attempted exorcism, but its raw admission of Millar’s own dark-side dreams and its flirtation with a genuinely nihilistic endorsement of every antivalue as the way to “make it” in this world suggested a demon big enough to leave sizable bite marks in any Augustine cassock."

Name one British comic book writer and odds are he is a Superfag.

Morrison, Moore, Ennis, Millar, all Superfags.

Yeah and he left Scotland after like 25 years and has been living in America ever since. He's spent nearly as much time in America as he has Scotland. That's more than enough fucking time to have your opinions slowly changed even if it doesn't go with your religious beliefs, especially when you're working in an industry that is mostly liberals in a country that prides itself on liberal beliefs. And again, even if he doesn't agree, that doesn't stop him from being a professional who can write characters who DO believe in those ideas.

I don't know if you've read Millar's work if you're writing this. There's King of the Hill, then there's putting an anti abortion bomb into the incest baby womb of an anti abortion character's daughter.

This isn't contrary to his writing though. Hitman 34 etc. He always writes a good Superman.

>America
>a country that prides itself on liberal beliefs

>Not mentioning that the father of the incest baby was a homosexual
Nemesis was a joy and a treasure.

A study from april of last year shows that over 50% of people in Scotland aren't religions (52% to be precise) compared to the 40% shown in 1999.

The stats on the Wikipedia page only cover 2011, however about 32% of the Scottish population are protestant and half of that are catholic. Again these statistics are from 2011.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Scotland#Statistics

americans are very strange when it comes to factionalism
there is nothing else except non-believers and fundamentalists
casual or cultural association is not a thing, be it religious or political in nature.
and if you're one thing you can't be another
it's all very strange

What someone prides themselves on being and what they actually are are two different things. You're a fool if you try to deny that America prides itself on freedom of speech, tolerance, acceptance, the land of the free, being a melting pot of diversity. That has nothing to do with who they actually are but what their reputation is.

Aren't religious or don't belong to any church?
Those are two completely different things in europe.

Stupid liberal scum out
Go choke on nigger dicks

Catholics are way more hardass-y than protestants in most of Europe, even in countries where they are the minority. It's just American protestants who form weird sects and make them look normal in comparison.

>"Findings from the Scottish Social Attitudes survey show 52% of people say they are not religious, compared with 40% in 1999 when the survey began.
The proportion who say they belong to the Church of Scotland has fallen from 35% in 1999 to just 20%"

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35953639

I'm not disagreeing with you I just recall seeing this article a while back.

Gerard Jones is a pedophile.

Can you explain what you keep trying to do in this thread?

>I would've thought if ANYONE in the industry would have blown their fucking lid by now, it would've been Lauren Faust.
Lauren is a broken woman.

He doesn't really have a house. Everyone knows he lives in a massive floating castle in the Magical Realm guarded by Glycon himself, where rival magicians aren't able to get their hands on him.

I remember a few years back reading something related to Bedlam where he said he tries to write from the opposite perspective of his own beliefs.

that sounds adorable

You'd be surprised how many people who are seemingly carefree suddenly find interest in politics when it looks black and white enough.

Lee was the Marvel Golden boy, easily more valuable than Liefled at Marvel. Image was a McFarlane and Liefeld brainchild ( The way Rob tells it mostly Todd) and they went around getting talent to join up

They even tried to get John Byrne to join them

He also likes Spider-Man

>Bedlam is STILL on 'hiatus'

It's not fucking fair.

>They left to make MORE money

And? Considering how Marvel treats its employees historically I can't exactly blame them. They knew they weren't going to be hot at Marvel forever and arguably leaving Marvel to have creations they can own was a good idea.

Now what their actions after they left or the quality of their creations, that's a different debate.

Hopefully he'll go back to it after Secret Empire wraps up and he's done with Captain America.

I think people are still surprised by Hitman 34 because they don't realize how much Ennis loves Supes until his protagonist lays it out in plain english.

Illustration: 50+% of French people identify as Roman Catholic. Half of those people declared not believing in God.

Well its like he says, no commandment saying what you can write.

And speaking as a Cathloic no one gets more pissy at Mother Church fucking up than us, believe me.

>Spain and Portugal
>Not left leaning

nice eyebrows in your reaction gif dobby.

IM JUST MAJIN BUU!

Second.

Lol I had entirely forgotten.

Wait, when did Millar move to America? Last I remembered he was living in Scotland.

Ennis moved to New York, IIRC

>The past five months in a nutshell
But I would replace it with "suddenly throw themselves in a frenzy"

>Spain
>left leaning
That's not what my Spanish friends tell me.

Neil Gaiman was raised in the Church of Scientology. He left decades ago an doesn't like talking about it.

>when did Millar move to America?
After receiving a visit from pic related.

But Morrison splits his time in LA and Scotland

To keep an eye on Millar.

Because his family are still key members within that cult and Scientology is still a dodgy issue.

>Portugal
>left leaning
In somethings like weed and healthcare but that's more out of pragmatism. We fucking hate anyone not Portuguese and especially hate former colonies. Oh and Muslims but they deserve it.

His father even has a Wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gaiman

portugal had an elected fascist post-war government iirc

>We fucking hate anyone not Portuguese
Then stop migrating to other countries, you doofuses.

We take eurobucks and no Muslims, it's a pretty sweet deal.

>Mormon
>rocking a full beard and hair down to his collar
uh huh.

Sick burn.

it's true, though. :(