If SU had kept its original art style and kept Gennedy on as director, do you think you would have enjoyed it?

If SU had kept its original art style and kept Gennedy on as director, do you think you would have enjoyed it?

Other urls found in this thread:

ben-levin.tumblr.com/post/128851455980/hi-ben-i-know-steven-universe-doesnt-use
pastebin.com/uzWR6Rfi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends. Is there less emphasis on the emotional angst of a bunch of weird aliens and an even stupider version of Bobby Hill?

I enjoy it just fine already, even if it's been sort of shitty lately.

Not sure what it would be like if it was like that, would be way harder to animate and stuff. Would probably lead to lots more sloppy boarding and art work, if the boarders are having trouble with simpler designs these complicated ones would be butchered even worse.
Also Genndy just did the timing on the pilot I think.

If they removed the storyboard driven focus, had an animation bible and hired actual writers I'd get back unto it.

I used to love the show but it's major flaw of it being an inconsistent mess that is all over the place kept becoming more obvious to me throughout the season and after Zukegate I realized just how stupid the development team really is and dropped ship.

It would actually be consistently good at times then, and wouldn't be driven out with filler via Adventure Time.

the fuck is zukegate?

What is Zukegate? I google it, but I can't find a definitive answer.

>That Pearl
fuck no.
Just get some standards for the current style.

One of the storyboarders was fired because she tried to force in her shipping despite it being clumsily done and Sugar told her too stop it.

Not even joking.

who was she shipping? also links?

This was a not so subtle rant she had in an alt tumblr account.

She later admitted to doing this on her main tumblr account but I think she deleted it after everyone wanted her blood.

If this is real.

I will bust a gut laughing.

I like SU as is, but a more tightly paced, better written, weirder/better looking, more ambitious Steven Universe with Genndy on board would definately be pure kino.

As is Steven Universe is hovering between A tier and B tier, nowhere near S tier but still very very strong, but dragged down by shitty filler episodes, bad pacing, and inconsistant characterizarion on some characters.

Fandoms were a mistake.

>Zuke agrees with fucking Tumblr Rapyverse of all things

I hate the pilot's art style so no.

It's real. If you go to tumblr and search the tag "lauren zuke" you will find evidence of the fighting and discourse.

Some people are defending her because they like the Lapidot ship. Some people are giving her death threats because they don't like the ship.

Not one person is upset about this because maybe trying to force in a romance between two characters that not only just met but have had bad history with each other is bad writing.

Lauren herself confirmed that there are only 5 more episodes she boarded left to air

Wait, Genndy worked on the pilot? Fuck, didn't even know that. Why did he leave the production staff?

Makes sense. She wanted to be all up in Rose's butthole, so why not try to look like the person Rose loves, a human male?

Even if it was shit, I'd like it way more. That art and animation was fucking beautiful.

if they added some male gems and toned down the lesbo stuff then yeah

He was never really a part of it, just did some work on the pilot then went on his way. To my knowledge he never had any involvement in the show.

No True Scotsman

1.) Better art

2.) Turn it into a story about a boy and his place in a war between aliens

3.) Far less lesbian angst

I wouldnt know because
A)Genndys SU would be something completely different
B)SU was rebeccas vision,not genndy.
I cant see Genndys SU having the same lore or the same characters or the same pacing.

It's just a /sug/ meme. Everyone over there thinks one of the boarders, Zuke, was trying to push some ideas that were too much of her own into the show. They blame her for the stunted character growth that has become of Peridot and Lapis and think her episodes are becoming sloppy. I don't care one way or another about it, but it has been pretty much accepted fact to blame Zuke for everything on /sug/

Fuck off nerd, that would totally ruin the Sailor Moon alien goddess angle the show has going for it, which is actually pretty nifty.

Genndy wasn't director are you high

I'd love it. But I also love what we have now. Even with all of its flaws, a lot of the stuff I dig about the show probably wouldn't exist in the version that's being proposed. And there would be other kinds of flaws we wouldn't have been able to foresee because that's just how things work.

nice damage control zuke

I think her episodes are fine really.I dont bite the "memebarn"stuff but if she really got fired due to lapidot,i would think shes pathetic.

>It's just a /sug/ meme.
She literally admitted to doing it and she is fired.

Kind of goes beyond "meme" status at that point.

>Nerd over nigger
>nifty
Tumblr spotted

animation director

>some male gems
Who is Steven?

also I still find it funny how many nerds are insulted by a single gender race that appears all female and yet they have no problem with Namekian

If I had editing skills I would photoshop Zuke's face onto the body of Fairy Godmother from Shrek 2 as she's pouring in the Lust.
And then have Lapis, Peridot, and Sugar on Donkey, Puss, and Shrek's faces respectively

of course

but about the same amount on people on Sup Forums would hate it, a small number would actually change opinion going both ways but most of the people against it would stay against it because they are contrarians

How dare I vary my vocabulary once in a while, sorry.
You're a nigger faggot who fucks their gay tranny mom all night long, and you have shit opinions about cartoons too.

All-female alien race is a sci-fi cliche almost as old as the genre itself. fucking underageb&s

Yes

We wised the fuck up and jumped ship

Honestly, I think most people just don't even remember that they were an asexual species, given how few women of any sort there were in the show.

steven is really a woman (his own mother)

does that really count as a male gem?

There's no zukegate, one of the show's best storyboarders lauren zuke quit the show after getting death threats from twitter users, particularly Amethyst/Peridot shippers last September. It was a shame, because she was one of the show's best artists, and was Sup Forums's favorite storyboarder up to that point. Hell, she boarded "Catch and Release" which was just perfect.

Most of the quotes in this image are from an entirely different artist.

Seems like it's what went down. Just from reading this
I can tell she handled this whole situation horribly.

Hell yes. A real, pro animation director around to whip those millennial storyboarder shits into shape is exactly what the show needs.

I wasn't bothered by the all-female race. It was when they said they would never make a male gem (aside from half-human steven, obviously). It just struck me as weird that this show about being who want to be never had at least one gem decide to form as a male.

It's more like they naturally form with female characteristics.

Gems don't look like women, women look like gems.

t. zuke
though i know you can't actually be because zuke would get triggered by the mere sight of Sup Forums's homepage

Zuke definitely used to browse /sug/, people talked about her sometimes and she would make little references to what they were saying. Rebecca Sugar and Matt Burnett are definitely on Sup Forums and I wouldn't be surprised if Ian was too.

I get the impression that Ian was getting pretty annoyed at everyone's bitching over SU, I don't think he would care to stomach Sup Forums. Maybe in the past but not anymore.

I've heard Q&A's with Sugar and Ian where they've reinforced that Gems are genderless but also that if a Gem wanted to be referred to with male pronouns that it would be fine.

I think he was only annoyed when people made personal attacks

Purple Puma is male.

>Most of the quotes in this image are from an entirely different artist
Nah they all came from her private blog

Doesn't anyone remember that zuke was Sup Forums's favorite storyboarder for a long time? I remember every zuke episode received crazy hype, and there were hundreds of
>can't juke the zuke
posts daily. What a shame that she got targeted by Amedot shippers. I've been on Sup Forums long enough to remember Zutara shipping in it's prime, and I never thought any group could be more toxic than that.

Honestly who gives a fuck about who Peridot ends up with, I'll watch anything as long as the person behind it can actually draw, and zuke was probably the second-best artist on the show after Sugar.

I hate Zuke because I would fucking love to be in the industry and she got lucky enough to get a gig on one of the biggest cartoons on TV right now with no previous experience and threw it all away for shipping. That's insulting to people who actually work and strive to work on a tv show.

Doesn't apply in this case, and even if it did, you'd have to explain why.

It doesn't apply because the argument isn't "no feminist acts like this because anyone who acts like this isn't a feminist". The argument is "you shouldn't call these people feminists because they are an undesirable group of people compared to this other group of people".

One is an attempt to define a group's behavior, while the other is an attempt to refine vocabulary.

so, someone else's blog right? if you can't prove it's her then it's not worth discussing as evidence.

>Someone made a private blog months before Zuke left SU to frame her and make her look like some diehard shipper who is obsessed with lesbian representation in media even though all previous attitude she's expressed on social media points to that being her actual personality

Yep, that sounds MUCH more plausible than a typical libitard artist throwing a tantrum over "muh diversity" issues.

I just hate the character models changing. Peridot is the biggest offender, also why the hell did they make Connie shrink too? It's so jarring to see Connie tall in the intro, and then look like a 3rd grader in the actual show

she didn't throw it away, she quit because she was getting death threats from shippers for not supporting Amedot.

She got into the industry because she's a great artist, if you can learn to draw like her you might get a chance too.

You don't really think Zuke was fired from tv's gayest show for being too gay, do you?

>She got into the industry because she's a great artist, if you can learn to draw like her you might get a chance too.
>Thinking all it takes is good art to get into the industry

Also, where is your confirmation on the death threats thing. An attention whore like herself who says she's deleting her Twitter because of shippers would sure as hell have complained online about them harassing her and how she's quitting SU because of it.

>Fired =/= left
She left because she's a baby. She didn't get fired.

All the show needs is to not be storyboard driven. It would be great if it was. I get where Sugar is coming from, but I really, really think the execution hinders the quality. Which is a shame, because the characters and story are great.

Oh well. Notes for when I have my show.

I never visited /sug/ so I wouldn't know.
My problem isn't about shipping, I don't give two shits about that. My problem was that the barn episode and Peridot and Lapis friendship felt very rushed and clumsily handled.

And when I heard that this was because someone would rather force in a stupid pairing at any cost rather then trying to make a natural and well developed arc and relationship, then yeah, I am a little peeved.

Zuke isn't the only person who wrote a bad episode, hell most all the storyboarder have shit attached to their name, but the reasoning behind said bad writing was so stupid it made me realize why I dropped something like AT in the first place: Letting a bunch of fans free to do what they want, all with their own personall agenda, all wanting a different direction goes against the good of the show itself.

well today is your lucky day

>That's insulting to people who actually work and strive to work on a tv show.

What's really insulting is when talented but fragile artists can get death threats and stop creating content. Zuke's episodes were great and thanks to the shitheads we only have a few more new ones left to see.

they literally came from her private blog with I am Lauren zuke in the description box
pls shut the fuck up

>This thread

And thank god for that. Soon we'll enter a new golden era.

where's your proof of these so called death threats hmmm

What's even more insulting is that an artist is so fragile, death threats on Twitter cause them to quit a once-in-a-lifetime fucking job at a big network studio on a critically acclaimed show.

Not him but it's tumblr dude.
They're Sup Forums and Sup Forums levels of degeneracy dude.

>if they added some male gems and toned down the lesbo stuff then yeah

nigga you gay?

Other than Rocknaldo which was trash and Know Your Fusion all of her episodes were pretty good.

I agree that getting death threats solely because of shipping faggotry and SU fans as a whole are retarded.

However, trying to force in a shipping for your own personall agenda to a point you were willing to make a very dumb and awkward episode to get your way is also pretty dumb.

I think Zuke should be fired and is an idiot but people seem to hate her for the wrong reasons. I don't think she's bad because of shipping characters, I think she's bad because she thinks shipping characters excuses bad writing.

I haven't been feeling her stuff as much since like after Log Date. Used to be good and drew a damn fine Amethyst but she dropped in quality pretty quickly, though who knows, maybe I'm projecting the overall quality drop of the show as a whole imo as being all on he shoulders.

While the storyboarders come up with all dialogue and scene composition, Steven Universe's team of writers produce a four-page outline for the boarders to translate into drawn art. Here's the outline for Lion 3: Straight to Video:
ben-levin.tumblr.com/post/128851455980/hi-ben-i-know-steven-universe-doesnt-use

All the episode's major plot-points are described in the outline. I'd wager "Beta" (what you faggots call the 'memebarn ep') was the exact same, and that Zuke is being unfairly shit on since she was just drawing the plot the writers gave her.

It's saying the script has been removed. You or anyone else wouldn't have happened to download/screencap it?

Here y'go
pastebin.com/uzWR6Rfi

Zuke is still a good storyboarder (meh artist as a storyboarder), but she straight up broke Lapis and Peridot as characters. It goes beyond Lapidot, 90% of the outrage over Lapis's character arc is because Zuke Lapis is a completely different character from Crewniverse Lapis.

All dialogue and major events are still decided by the stoyboarder in the end and they can choose to take out and add their own scenes.

That said, the whole episode as a whole seemed dumb so yes maybe Zuke did get more blame then it was deserved when it was more of a collaborative failure. I put specific blame in one artist when in reality I should've spread my hatred to the WHOLE SU team.

I admit to being wrong user, however my disappointment for this show only grows.

I. I want this job. This is the job for me. Holy shit.

Thank you so much, user.

Beta wouldn't have been bad if it weren't for the characterization, which was 100% Zuke.

Don't get me wrong, Zuke is still a fucking idiot. But just look at this shit >Write what is barely a page of an outline
>Barebones summery
>After that all responsibility is given to someone else
>They don't even have to follow through with most of it if they feel like it
This is there "writers".
Everyone seems to be a piece of shit, Zuke just had the flaw of deciding not to hide it.

Truly, this show was doomed from the start.

Wait, he was a director at one point?

Just the animation director on the pilot. He was probably just a trusted hand Rebecca reached out to for help and never intended to work on the series proper

The fight's would be a lot better. It'd still be shit, but it'd be stylized shit. Kinda like RWBY.

>RWBY
>any sense of style to speak of
SU's shitty art at times is leagues above RWBY's shitty everything other than waifus

I wouldn't say SU sucks. It's crippled by a team that doesn't have the experience in the industry needed to make a lot of Sugar's high concept ideas translate, and struggles with the weight of its autistic fanbase and the pressure that other groups put on it as "the one progressive cartoon about the gay people", but it's still some top notch stuff. It lacks the polish of, say, peak Gravity Falls, but has better momentum behind it. Whether that makes it better or worse really depends on how much you value artistic experimentation over form and polish.

Basically it's Yeezus vs. 1989. Flawed execution of a high concept or good execution of a tired space.

I don't completely agree with you but this may be the best analysis of SU that I've ever seen on this board. Especially those last two lines.

What the fuck happened after gem drill? What caused the quality to drop so drastically? It couldn't have been ONLY Zuke, right?

That's honestly a good way to look at it.
Sadly, while I love experimentation from the norm, I'm in team "polish".

Anyone can mean well and want to be different, not everyone can actually make something work.

I hated the design for pearl in the pilot. She looks like a tumblr dyke wearing a diaper.
Go bird or go home.

>Gennedy on as director
This actually has potential.

It works for early series Pearl, where she's an above it all wannabee space elf, but the more we learn about Pearl the less this design fits her.

Genndy Tartakovsky was almost the director of SU?

According to the wiki all he did was work as the timing director or something for the pilot, he was never that involved in it.