What does Sup Forums think of star wars? Feel free to talk about the old ones or the new ones

What does Sup Forums think of star wars? Feel free to talk about the old ones or the new ones

Used to be good, now it's shit.

I used to be a die-hard fan. Went to cons, etc. Disney's Star Wars killed all that for me. I've started distancing myself more and more from it all.

This.

/thread

One of the things that pissed me off about TFA is that they made no effort to explain how the First Order, the Resistance, and the Republic all fit into the scheme of things. Was the Republic still in control? If so, why aren't they crushing the First Order instead of "the Resistance" (even the name of which implies that they're oppressed subjects of some sort)? It's hard to get a sense of what kind of odds the protagonists are facing if you can't figure out if the First Order is a governing body of some kind or just an anemic enclave of Empire fanboys clinging to some lost glory.

True, I'm hoping that episode 8 is good.

The new ones are cynical tripe exploiting established iconography to grind out as much profit as possible.

>A desert planet
>A youth who doesn't know their place in the g alaxy
>X-wings and Tie Fighters
>Stormtroopers
>The first order(empire) the resistance(rebellion)
>a planet destroying weapon
>A man in a black mask/suit with a red lightsaber
>A mysterious leader in a black cloak(Snoke)

And that's just the beginning. They deified all the previous characters and ships(and this happens in Blade Runner 2049), does EVERYONE need to know about Han Solo, Leia, and Luke Skywalker? And treat the Millennium Falcon like its some kind of holy relic? These things are inauthentic as far as I'm concerned, they're reflections of how our society think of these characters and ships, but not necessarily how the characters of Star Wars should think about them.

This. Honestly shocking how quickly and effectively Disney has destroyed any enthusiasm I once had for Star Wars

You can figure it out, just that you have to read the comics and check the wiki. I completely get what you're saying though. Disney just threw shit out there and didn't bother explaining

never seen a fanbase so entitled and picky over what they want. the orignals were very good, but the new movie was forgettable as fuck. Rogue one was better. lol

>ok original space opera movie
>spawned an exceptional sequel
>then a bad one
>hack creator gets a big head
>shits all over whatever good there was in his franchise
>sells franchise to "white slavers" (Jews)
>Disney rapes the franchise even more
It's overrated.

Well, I think Disney just wants to get the die-hard fans back into it, if it would of had been completely new, with no links to the past characters, It would be Hella weird. I get what you're saying though.

It's an interesting fantasy world. Originals were great, prequels were shit, TFA was overall good.

I agree.

Convoluted incestuous tripe, made to part small-souled bug men from their shekels.

Original trilogy had some charm but I was still never massively into it. It was fine but even as a kid I started to think the fandom was OTT. The prequels are trash, the disney shit, well the one I've seen, is better than the prequels but so is slamming you genitals in a car door so thats hardly a sign of quality. I only saw the force awakens when a friend made me watch it on blu ray. Genuinely can't tell you anything about the movie which I guess says a lot about its impact and overall quality. I won't be watching Rogue One, Han Solo or any of the main chapters unless forced to do so.

Alien and Aliens were my childhood sci fi obsession. Saw them very early on and it took the shine right off star wars.

Disney is anti white, anti male, anti philosophy, cultural Marxist, gynocentric, Satanic pedophiles.

They can't understand men, and they simultaneously hate them.

They are spiritual and sexual deviants who have no respect for anything other than the worship of their own moribund carcass whose monopolistic practices have saved it from what should have been a merciful death.

Star Wars is dead.

>if it would of had been completely new, with no links to the past characters, It would be Hella weird

Include them if it makes sense, but don't if it doesn't. What you said though, which i agree with, is why i think they're cynical movies with zero desire to create a good film. They're a clumsy statement along the line of "Hey, we included thse character you loved, you gonna trust us with this?"

Having Han, Leia, and Luke in the OT didn't make the OT great movies, they were good movies because they actually had something to say, and the characters were vehicles for that message. Take them out of those movies and you lose a great deal of what made them good in the first place. Han feels out of place, Leia feels out of place, we will see about Luke in Episode 8.

As someone who grew up watching the prequels I’ll admit i have a soft spot for them. But even watching them back I still find them comfy. I think the lightsaber play is fun and I genuinely enjoy watching the relationship between obi wan and anakin. Now I only watched the OT after the prequels and not until I was an adult. For all the hype they get I found them to be pretty underwhelming and almost cheesy even for 70s/80s movies. That’s not to say the prequels aren’t cheesy at times either. Also I’m not a turbo nerd so I don’t really give a shit about all the lore that the prequels fuck up. I guess overall I think it’s a gimmick franchise the legend of which has far surpassed the actual quality of said franchise.

Rogue one sucked and TFA was too aware of itself and didn’t strive hard enough to be its own movie. Overall 6/10 franchise

5 > 4 > 6 > 1 > 3 > 2

Haven't seen the rest, don't care. Only the first two are good films.

you're making vague platitudes with no substance because "reee disney"

True, Plus Disney with its feminist bullshit, it just started obliterating the franchise

>you're making vague platitudes with no substance because "reee disney"

No i'm not.

>Feel free to talk about the old ones
I like Quachil Uttaus. He's my favorite Old One.

What makes "han out of place"? What makes Leia "out of place"?

Characters like kylo, Rey and Finn had more to say than anything in the prequels.

>hurr durr muh powerlevel headcanon rey is a mary sue finn is a nigger

not an argument

Overrated nerd in-joke with 2 good movie.
Stopped being decent more than a decade ago.
Blame big bang theory culture for the rest.

>would of had been

Used to love it but slowly getting out of it ever since Disney retconned the EU. I understand how they didn't want to make it exactly the same as the comics, but they copied a lot of concepts (first order=Imperial remnant, Kylo=Caedus, Rey=Naina solo) I don't see why they couldn't just keep the names and backstory. It would appease die-hards and would make more sense than the "good guys can't be in power" bullshit they have now

Disney killed it. Both Episode 7 and Rogue One are terrible.

exactly!! Not only does it shamefully repeat A New Hope, it also makes no sense whatsoever. Its littered with plotholes

>shit characters are better then slightly shittier characters

It always sends my sides into orbit. It's like you watch a bad movie and the characters don't make any sense but then someone goes "heh well it was better then The Room so I guess I win this one...kid"

>What makes "han out of place"? What makes Leia "out of place"?

Because we already saw Han and Leia as their respective roles of Smuggler and leader of the rebellion. You really think 75 year old Han Solo would be doing the same shit he was doing when he was 30? Dude would be fucking retired by then, same with Leia. They ONLY reason we saw Han and Leia do what they did in the films was because the studio wanted them in their familiar roles like the old days, and nothing more.

>Characters like kylo, Rey and Finn had more to say than anything in the prequels.

Kylo is the best part, we've already seen Rey's story with Luke, and Finn barley gets an arc in the whole movie. We'll see how they handle these characters in 8, maybe they'll have something to actually say, but I'm not holding my breath.

And i don't give a shit about the prequels

>hurr durr muh powerlevel headcanon rey is a mary sue finn is a nigger

What are you droning on about? I dont care if people think rey is a Mary sue or Finn's race, those are irrelevant to me

I think the original Star Wars was lightening in a bottle. The right story with the right cast at the right time. On the face of it, they're just b-movies but the chemistry of the cast brought it to life and it was the perfect space fantasy for that generation of kids and teenagers.
No sequels or prequels will recapture that cheesy, heart-filled magic and people who flock to them are just trying to recapture that feeling of innocence and magic. Like junkies chasing a fading high.

>TFA was overall good.
Fuck off!

It isn't completely new, there are links to the past.

they straight up told you to kill yourself is why. anyone who was a fan of the prequels or the EU were told they werent needed and were a relic that needs to move on and fuck off and that star wars was for kids and they were doing it disney style so fuck you turbonerds for liking this shit still. disney basically said GROW UP and all of you started crying

oh dont you worry user, we have all the star wars that will fill your appetite every year for the next 2 decades

TFA was shit. Rogue One somehow managed to be worse.

I was a pretty big Star Wars fan. I’ve read a lot of the EU novels, played the games and watched the movies. Star Wars is pretty entry level for SciFi/fantasy stuff so there’s always casuals, but somehow the fan bade turned into #resist. The direction they’re taking is a nostalgia trip with a design by comities. I hate how politics are injected into something was apolitical in the first place. I’ll still see the new star wars movie but I have very low expectations for it. I’m going to assume it’ll be empire strikes back-lite.

TFA is complete dogshit. absolutely no world building, the only mention of the republic is right when they're being blown up. everything is just ANH but bigger and more "evil" while completely removing any sort of emotional connection

the characters make absolutely no fucking sense, especially fin. he loses his shit about a stormtrooper that died, and like 10 scenes later he's slaughtering them by the dozens in the back of a tie fighter. the captain makes 2 appearances, one of which she completely betrays the first order under no threat of violence. stupid pandering and lipservice to fans of the original trilogy. absolutely disgusting.

i'm so fucking fed up with everyone worshiping them like they're amazing. disney has completely killed one of my favorite childhood memories

>especially fin. he loses his shit about a stormtrooper that died, and like 10 scenes later he's slaughtering them by the dozens in the back of a tie fighter.

Im surprised this isn't brought up more. It was one of the most jarring things in the movie for me. Like sure you can have the stormtrooper turns good plot and that's fine but the fact he basically genocides his own side like 1 minute after hes turncoats just makes him seem unsympathetic or insane.

The phrase is "would have been."

yeah, exactly.

fin's entire character doesn't make any sense. he's been a part of the first order his whole life which is why he doesn't have a name. he started off as a janitor and ended up in combat? he is sent in to combat as a stormtrooper, which are the elite combat troops, without any prior combat experience? he sees one view of combat, and his friend dies, so he decides to turncoat and abandon the first order because....??

they didn't think his character through at all

The prequels are the worst thing that has happened or could happen to the series.
The new Disney stuff isn't great, but not nearly as bad as the pleb-quels. Hopefully Disney continues to undo the damage autistic George did.

I disagree

To me creativity > competence

I'd rather see something creative and weird even if it's literally a trainwreck like most of the prequels. Disney movies have been so fucking safe I find them horrendously boring, even if they are more coherent.

for me Back to the future and jurassic park

Spoken like a true pleb.

I liked Star Wars for the EU only and since they basically deleted the EU I have no reason to be into Star Wars anymore. It sucks that coincidentally every normie is into Star Wars now all of a sudden and it's not so easy to ignore it and be the grumpy contrarian that "hates fun" every time the topic of Star Wars is brought up.

5>4>7>6>r1>1>3>2

6>5>1>4>3>2.

>I'd rather see something shitty than good

Being contrarian stopped being cool in middle school.

Also you're a fucking nerd

Good job showing that you're a complete moron.

apparently you'd rather see something that was neither

I just wanted TFA to be a nice comfy space adventure without doomsday weapons or even villains

I feel like the phantom menace came close to striking the nerve of having an adventurous vibe to it, if the whole movie had been about getting back to the republic (and of course without its glaring flaws) i wouldve loved it

Im saddened that we'll never get anything from star wars again thats not just "i recognize that"

Yeah I know, it sucks. I'm glad at least Disney helped me grow up and move on.

It's funny how, after being a star wars fan for years, seeing normies act out "geekness" in the most ridiculous fashion made me aware of how dumb it actually is

Destroying my childhood apparently helped me grow a bit

I wish they would make movies set during the Old Republic.

This will never be topped

Great setting slowly getting ruined by retards.

Nigger Sup Forums talks about star wars every fucking day

Loved it when I was a kid, I was more into the video games and EU books than the films in all honesty. Then I grew out of it at like age 12 and that was that, just like every other non-soyboy would. I have absolutely zero interest in the new movies or even in the franchise at all.

That's a bullshit copout excuse. Why the fuck would I watch a movie just to have to do research about small details the movie should have told the audience already? That's bad storytelling.

Prequels > Nu Wars > Original neckbeard trilogy

Lucasfilm is run by a white person and so is Disney. Every director of the new Star Wars movies is white.

It's a grossly overrated franchise imo.

I think the first two films are very good and have had a huge cultural impact on the film industry. They aren't anything spectacular, and the fact that people consider IV and V to be some of the greatest sci-fi films ever made is ludicrous. It's nowhere on the level of something like 2001; it's just a fun blockbuster series which some memorable characters and settings.

ROTJ is good, but not as good as the first two.
The prequels are just terrible, and anyone who tells you they're aren't outside of "funny Sup Forums contrarianism" is wrong.
Episode VII is fine but unspecial. It's nowhere near as bad as Sup Forums likes to make it out to be, but it's nowhere near as great as critics and Star Wars fans are making it out to be. It's somewhere in the middle.
RO is ehhh; if you're a fan of Star Wars you'll like it but it's just kind of uninspired and subpar.

I don't like the Disneyification of Star Wars and I think they should stop after IX (I know they won't but they should) and stop milking the franchise. But imo Star Wars hasn't really been great for a long time.

(((White)))

This but r1 >= 3 > 1 > 2

I seriously don't get why the only game this new trilogy has is Battlefront by EA. The old ones had a fucking shit ton of games, why are they missing out on the chance to make money? Episode 1 can get all the criticism it may deserve but at least it meant loads of great Star Wars games would come out in the following years.

It's mostly to do with Lucasarts and EA. EA want to milk DICE and get a new Battlefield-style shooter out every year, whereas back in the early Lucasarts days they were more willing to publish new ideas.

me on the right

the new movies are better in every way than the pt. also, for all the le tfa is anh clone memes, people are quick to ignore how much of a clone tpm was of anh as well.

so far, disney wars is two for two as far as making better sw movies than the pt. once tlj comes out, we'll have three good sw movies to wash away the shit that was three garbage sw movies (the pt).

Force Awakens is made better, but Phantom menace is more interesting.
The entire callback to a New Hop is so unnesecary.

Liked it when I was a kid because lightsabers and spaceships, but quickly outgrew it. Don't know why exactly, but I think it has something to do with that The People vs. George Lucas movie. That thing showed me how insane some fans are and I think I subconsciously decided I would never allow myself to get even close to that level of fandom.
I also don't like the original SW movies in terms of dialogue and acting performance. Hell, I don't even like any of them as movies, just dig the worldbuilding

Fucking this.

Nice bait

He abandoned because they slaughtered everyone for no reason.

What, a shit ton of movies don't get you excited? That's not what you're supposed to think, goy. Give us more money.

this times x10000

>2000s
>I love Star Wars and everyone thinks I'm a nerd loser outcast
>2010s
>I think Star Wars is stupid and everyone thinks I'm an edgy contrarian loser outcast