In 2007, 2002 movies and TV shows felt very old/dated...

In 2007, 2002 movies and TV shows felt very old/dated, like they were 100000 million miles away from 2007's movies and shows.

But in 2017, 2012 movies and shows feel exactly the same as 2017's movies and shows, except that there was less "SJW" stuff back then but other than that, the style is pretty much the same.

What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>In 2007, 2002 movies and TV shows felt very old/dated, like they were 100000 million miles away from 2007's movies and shows.
nobody thought this

I remember some people in college getting nostalgic for the N64 and Pokemania in 2007 even though that was only 7-8 years ago at the time. By contrast, I see no nostalgia for 2009-2010 at all in 2017. We stagnated.

Yes, the difference between 10 years ago and 15 years ago is, indeed, a difference. A difference, that’s more noticeable at the moment than 5 years ago.

>By contrast, I see no nostalgia for 2009-2010 at all in 2017.
you are being delusional. i see mw2 and halo 3 nostalgia more frequent on Sup Forums

What I mean is that pre-2007, 5 years seemed to cover a lot more ground and technological advances than post-2007.

Daily reminder the "2007 is when everything went to shit" meme was perpetuated by faggots born in the late 90s in a pathetic attempt to justify their shitty childhood. dont fall for it.

t. newfag

I heard it from people born in the early-mid 90s

Also I wasn't even saying things went to shit in 2007 dumbass. I was just pointing out that pop culture seems to change at a less rapid pace nowadays.

>born in the late 90s
You mean born in the late 80s.
That makes them at or around twenty years old in 2007.
Meaning their lives are shitty because they became adults.

You fucking cum dumpster newfag.

>2007

1)You were younger and 5 years felt an enormous amount of time, now you're getting older and noticing less differences, it will getting worse I guarantee
2)There are technical reasons for such a feeling, mostly due to different lenses and technology, there was actually a shift.

it's almost like our culture is dead as fuck

People are addicted to the internet nowadays and the abundance of soy has meant the world isn't evolving any longer.

there isnt a single person who is older than the mega drive kek. you guys have your nostalgia googles on so tight its crazy.

2007 was when the world recession began and basically ruined life prospects for millennials and had a negative effect on many industries including video games, anime, movies

so yeah there are real tangible reasons why people remember that year with sadness.

So it's the new "9/11 ruined the world" bogeyman?

>I remember some people in college getting nostalgic for the N64 and Pokemania in 2007 even though that was only 7-8 years ago at the time
That's because you were talking to people who were at that age
>By contrast, I see no nostalgia for 2009-2010 at all in 2017
That's because you're now not talking to people who are that age where they can be nostalgic for relatively recent stuff (because they were very young only a few years ago).

Talk to 18 year olds now, they're nostalgic about their childhood shit even though it's so recent for us. The only thing that has changed is you.

>there isnt a single person who is older than the mega drive kek.
'87, and yes looking back 2007 was indeed when things started turning to shit.

you are getting older

No you're just both fucking retarded.
2007 is the year that people born in 1989 would be 18 years old.
Another words they are suffering from depression from being an adult and dealing with daily adult bullshit.
The average Sup Forums users age is between 1989-1995.
There is no boogey man, people are just faggots and can't handle being adults.

post a pic of your license

>In 2007, 2002 movies and TV shows felt very old/dated, like they were 100000 million miles away from 2007's movies and shows.

I don't feel this way at all even today

this user kind of makes sense.

Also nice dubs of truth!

wew did you really consider that to be some kind of bold claim

I was born in 94 so I was only 13 in 2007 and I agree it was when western society went past the point of no return

thats what it thought faggot

2002-2007 had pretty big jumps in terms of Blu-Ray and CGI in films. HD and paid online in video games. Social media and internet culture expanded a lot in those years from an underground niche thing to fully mainstream. It was the end of the Bush era and the beginning the recession... was a big watershed moment with a lot of changes.

this user is just a cynical retard who pretends to be older than he really is, probably around 21

HD

>2002-2007 had pretty big jumps in terms of Blu-Ray and CGI in films. HD and paid online in video games. Social media and internet culture expanded a lot in those years from an underground niche thing to fully mainstream. It was the end of the Bush era and the beginning the recession... was a big watershed moment with a lot of changes.
This. Also, The iPhone. And the word "hipster" re-entering the popular lexicon.

2007 was when the internet became big. Youtube viral videos became a thing, social media took off and everything was available with the click of a mouse. Also video cameras kinda hit a limit, so much so that we can't really tell that a film released in 2007 was released today or 10 years ago. Add to that the recession and the introduction of the iphone.

Somewhere around 2005 or 2006, men's fashions experienced a relatively quick shift from oversized clothing to slim-fits, coinciding with hairstyle changes away from the "gel/spiked" look to longer, more coiffed 'dos.
So it didn't take long before pics with puka shell necklaced gelheads wearing XL polo shirts and dad jeans looked laughably out of step.

Ten years later, we're still wearing much the same fitted things as our 2006 counterparts, so the contrast isn't as jarring.

You're young and don't notice the trends occurring as readily.

Over the past few years we've had a rise in youtubers pretty much replacing television for the younger generation. They went from people doing shoddily recorded videos to productions with editors, makeup, special effects, and whatever else.

2007 is when "nerd culture" became a thing. Rather than people have their own hobbies and interests, it became fashionable to suggest you like some niche hobby while having no serious knowledge of it. Like people saying they like Batman comics while not reading any of the comics. It's also when Obama started rising to power and we got to have race relations set back a few decades.

Fashion has changed dramatically every few years. Just look at how people dressed in some 80's movies.

Is 2007 the most kino filled year of all time?
>No Country for Old Men (2007)
>The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)
>There Will Be Blood (2007)
>Zodiac (2007)
>Eastern Promises (2007)
>1408 (2007)
>Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

>babies first troll post
0/10
I'm probably older than you are by a few years.
Unless you're older than 28 you have no idea what i'm talking about because you have no idea what life was like back at the time I'm referring to.
I'm not cynical, it's called practicality.
The 90s were a wonderful time for young people, being born in the 80s I know this first hand.
The reason people believe 2007 is the year everything went to shit is flat out because it was the first year most those faggots had to get real jobs and work. They are just depressed and there is no conspiracy theory you faggots can throw in that will every prove otherwise.

The 90s and early 2000s made young men weak, because it was an awesome time to be alive.

You can accept this or fuck off to your safe space kid. Because it's pretty universally accepted that the 90s in The U.S.A. was about as good as a kid could have it, flat out.

The culture changed and you grew up you fucking retard. It's not rocket science

In is the internet. It is preventing progression of cultures. Everything is turning into homogeneous culture because everyone can simply view old stuff at the drop of a hat online. Instead of a "fad" you have something that just keeps going on and on. Like, "synthwave" or this "80s fad" which started years and years ago.

>he reason people believe 2007 is the year everything went to shit is flat out because it was the first year most those faggots had to get real jobs and work. They are just depressed and there is no conspiracy theory you faggots can throw in that will every prove otherwise.
Omg shut up you mongoloid. i was born in 1993. In 2007 was 14 and today I can definitely pinpoint 2007 as some sort of turning point. Not because i was unemployed or anything because i was still a kid. 2007 seemed like the time around when technology really got advanced (HD video, internet, social media, real world wide connectivity, iphone, etc etc etc)

Sorry to disappoint user but 3 years before I ever came here (2007) I had normie friends who were saying this. But hey whatever works your narrative.

>Fashion has changed dramatically every few years
You mean it used to. As has been said, popular fashion hasn't really changed much over the past decade or so, whereas it used to be very decade-specific. 70s, 80s and 90s fashion trends for example were all very distinct from one another.

Ah yes, 2007.

>Omg

What does, "omg," mean?

>People getting assblasted over the fact that pop culture is a lot more even compared to the fast changes within the 90's/00's
Why?

oil my gash

Get it. Anyone who tries to argue is clearly somewhere south of 25

I honestly don't know how anybody can have nostalgia for anything from the late 90's/early 00's. Literally garbage era.

>late 90s
>garbage
It was cool in an innocent kind of way

>I honestly don't know how anybody can have nostalgia for anything from the late 90's/early 00's. Literally garbage era.
It was an awful time for popular fashion and music, otherwise it was nice - in hindsight at least.

>99% white

why couldn't I have gone to Columbine High? i'll take my chances under a desk

Early to mid 90's was alright. Late 90's is when things started to become lame.

It was a great time! Internet and mobile phones were already established things but nobody was really dependent on them.

fashion really hasnt changed since the late 90s. people wear the same shit but not as big

go watch some big budget films from the early 2000s like Die Another Day or some shit and tell me that fashion wouldn't be laughed at today

If you were older, you would see how it got advanced earlier, like in 90s.

Not really, shit has changed a hell of a lot since 2007. The difference between 2012 and 2007 was far bigger than the difference between 2007 and 2002. The financial crash, smartphones and a big step change in things like car design occurred in 2007 and the years after.

I'm always surprised by how many of them are wearing hats in that pic. My school wasn't allowed to wear hats, and even if we were that many kids wouldn't be wearing them.

This. I finished high school during the pop punk and nu-metal years and I look back to those days with cringe not with nostalgia.

The most important aspect of the past 40 years is the internet. A object we collectively have barley scratched the surface of, yet so many people depend on it.

Little do we know that in the depths is the AI watching, waiting and learning to finally emerge. We notice it as a transcendental object that comes to us in the form of militarized fashion, apocalyptic memes, robotic music, a nostalgia for a sort of dystopian 80s vision of the future. And it is all coming from the AI as it paves its path for laying gnosis on to us.

Sure the 90s introduced 3d gaming, but in 2007 kids no longer had to go to their friends house to play console games together because of online play. COD4 MW also created this shitty domination of first person shooters which in my opinion destroyed the console industry, at least for the xbox and playstation. Now companies don't care about making well designed games since they know most retards now want FPS, while we get movie simulators like Last of Us getting praised because "amazing graphics dude lmao xD"

Everything was great when we were young, because the memories are filtered through nostalgia goggles.

For example, as someone who attended school between the late 90s and the early 00s, this pic
triggers me greatly.

was introduced many things. Just watch how dinosaurs was portrayed earlier and how it was in the Jurassic Park

The 90s was definitely a more changing decade. I can't think of another time in human history where 10 years look so different from each other more than 1990 from 2000. But it was a gradual change. What people are discussing here is that 2007 was a really really small and precise moment where everything changed. Not the 2000s, not the mid 2000s, not 2005, not 2006, but 2007 in particular. That's what's so peculiar about that year, that so many people indeed think of it as the watershed year

You meet your first economic crisis in that time. But there was a 9/11 in 2001, in 90s was fall of Soviet Union. There was nothing special in you 2007.

>Into the Wild (2007)

Yes it is

Was 1987-2002 the biggest 15 years of change ever besides maybe 1936-1951?

I was already playing Diablo online back in '97

I was born in 1985. 2010 is the last year I feel nostalgia for anything, and it's mostly just a couple of tv shows that came out that year, my winter break during university and how fun Sup Forums was at the time. I'd say things permanently went to shit around 2013.

1901-1918 although 17 years was very substantial

Queen Victoria's death, massive advancements in warfare from the UK/German arms race + WW1, Irish War of Independence, Russian Revolution..

We basically transitioned from the Victorian Age to the early modern era

All media is haunted and has been since the early nineties. There is no optimism and the future can largely only be viewed through the prism of the past. Large segments of our society have a “nostalgia for lost futures” despite never loving during the time period they supposedly emulate. Kitsch has permeated everything, and the lines between Irony and Sincerity are completely blurred.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

>how dare anyone be younger than me

kys gramps

>mfw the only thing I have nostalgia for over the last 15 years are memes

2007 was when normies began using the internet and everyone just gave up on the outside world. People no longer had "friends", they had "facebook friends". They no longer bought albums, they downloaded songs. They could carry 1000 ipod songs inside their pockets so nobody cared about that new albums that just got released. You didn't go to blockbuster to rent a movie, you ordered it from Netflix. All these tiny details had a gigantic social change. Sure it's probably not going to be written in history books as an actual even like 9/11 or the fall of the berlin wall, but it still changed our culture. It's really just a coincidence that it fell exactly at the time of the recession, but the recession probably had very little to do with it.

I was referring to console games

smartphones and high speed internet changed everything.

Also I've been watching my old VHS rips of Woodstock 99. They are absolute kino. But the world really changed after that, where the biggest story coming out of it was sexual assaults and vandalism. That's when PC culture kicked into high gear.

Honestly 9/11 probably helped stave it off for a few years when it became allowable to hate on muslims for a few years. But I can see why so many people think 2007 was the year. That's pretty much when the residual effects of the war on terror in the media wore off and people started focusing on entertainment again.

Maybe nothing made after 2007 has “aged well”, meaning nothing since then has aged at all and our culture hasn’t progressed since then.

YouTube was pretty exciting in its early days too. Kind of Sup Forums related but those mini tv like series by you tubers back then were pretty good and was some fresh stuff compared to tv nowadays YouTube is basically a free endless jukebox to me

Sup Forums from the world cup up until mootdusky is probably my absolute favorite time period on this site. Its a shame to see the corpse of a board it is now

That's because you were a fucking loser. I graduated in 2000 and I look back on those days fondly because I had friends attached to the memories.

100% this.
It's especially hilarious when some faggot born in like 91-95 tries to argue that video games were not mainstream until 2007. Literally anyone born in the 80s or earlier knows they're full of shit.

>It's especially hilarious when some faggot born in like 91-95 tries to argue that video games were not mainstream until 2007.
Who in this thread said that?

Technology
culture
camera quality

Even if no one outright stated it, all the Sup Forumsermin crossboarders posting memes like genuinely believe it.

>reddit terminology

I actually am older than 28 and I lived through the 90s and know exactly when things took a shit, pretty much after 9-11. 2006-2007 was the next wave of bullshit that took us even farther away from anything good. So yes, 2007 was a big year.

it's actually true though, 2010s is probably the worst decade since the 60s.

everything went to shit way before 2007

one thing that's interesting is watching adaptation of fiction where characters do or do not have cellphones because they were written around the time they were adopted. It makes a pretty huge difference in the story because one can't simply make a call on the spot and someone can truly be uncontactable.

it's not a meme, 9/11 literally fucked america up to no end.

Came to post this. Biggest upheaval since the Reformation.

2012 was the end of the world. except it didn't end like we thought. nothing exploded or died. we just went into stasis.

I'd say it's getting worse.

the 80s practically invented AIDs. western society died long before 2007.

It's not just 9/11. It's the economic crisis, terrorism all over the world, rise of social media and internet drones, globalization.

Everything is so shit now people want only escapism.

What the fuck is this shit?

the world/american media changed for the worse after these happened:
>9/11
>napster
>facebook
>smartphones
>ipads

How can grown adults watch this hit?

Sup Forumsermin is Sup Forumsspeak, retard.

early modern era is 1453 to 1789