What are some other Lovecraftian films? Pic highly recommended

What are some other Lovecraftian films? Pic highly recommended

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/102372269
youtube.com/watch?v=0yvLuHH9Ay8
youtube.com/watch?v=HWV5EsOVlpo
youtube.com/watch?v=kdDcNU53q_8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd say The VVitch, while being not the most obvious choice, is pretty lovecraftian in terms of mood and building the climax.

Also

From Beyond
Mouth of Madness

I just finished reading Alan Moore's Providence. I think that could be adapted into a good movie if they did it right...

But of course they wouldn't and they won't even try anyway.

The void was actually shit

I couldn't see past the shoddy acting

I remember when this movie was being crowdfunded and I was pretty hyped.

so glad I didnt put any money into this pile of hot garbage.

lovekafkian

Carpenter's The Fog
Humanoids from the Deep
From Beyond
Dagon
Dunwhich Horror
Re-Animator Series
Whisperer in the Darkness
Colour Out of Space
There is lots more full feature as well as shorts if you do some digging.

lol that movie was trash

I watched Spring recently, it was okay but nothing mind blowing. Definitely comfy on top of Lovecraftian though with the Italian coastal village setting

Terrible movie.

As did I. What pretty good

The movie stands on its own as an adaptation of Lovecraftian mythos. There is literally nothing wrong with it. Its a typical B movie schlock. It does well representing aspects of Lovecraft's stories. If you watched it expecting a masterpiece you being retarded is the issue.

Well let's say The Void didn't live up to the exceptations of its excellent poster.

oculus

prometheus is a mountains of madness adaptation

That’s ok. Most horror movies are crap. It’s a genre that has always been hard to succeed at.

It was Schlock. If you are going to want Lovecraft as least go with a good movie, as well as being Lovecraftian, like Ghostbusters.

>If you want Lovecraft
beggars can't be choosers. Lovecraft wrote hundreds of written works. A handful have made it to the screen. There is literally nothing glaringly wrong with The Void. Ghostbusters may have had better actors and was more appealing to the masses but it lacked the seriousness and fear of true Lovecraft. The Void while the lesser of the two movies is still arguably as relevant to watch with its portrayal of darker aspects of Lovecraft mythos not captured in lighter Hollywood fair.

There is no film more Lovecraftian than Ghostbusters.
Professorial protags, cults, world-ending monsters, it's a loveletter to HPL.

Here:
vimeo.com/102372269

Friendly reminder that these faggots paid shills to spam Sup Forums with this shit before it was out. Is the BD release coming up?

What are some other Kafkaesque kinos?

Hellraiser

Whenever The Endless releases.

Lol why are the faculty and slither never mentioned in these threads? Too goofy?

The Fly

Recommending this.
youtube.com/watch?v=0yvLuHH9Ay8

> There is literally nothing glaringly wrong with The Void.

There is a lot glaringly wrong with The Void. Character "arcs" dropped halfway through, characters being added and killed out of nowhere, shit tier sound mixing, and terrible pacing.

So you're familiar with 'The Metamorphosis'. You wouldn't happen to know who wrote that famous parody where the dude turns into a giant titty that shoots milk from a penile nipple when he becomes aroused, would you? No one on /lit/ seems to know.

>The Void should rank less then 50% because dumpster fire
>Every movie should be a masterpiece
Maybe you haven't seen enough bad movies yet to realize The Void is not terrible.

watch Event Horizon my headcanon sequel to The Void

I guess I'm not pretentious enough to appreciate not good movies then

perhaps I could recommend some hard terror flicks?

oh yea I remember that movie

as above as below

>What are some other Lovecraftian films?
Dagon
The Call of Cthulhu
The Whisperer in Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
Re-Animator 1, 2, 3
Dunwich Horror (both original and remake)

In the Mouth of Madness. Great film and I have very few complaints about it. John Carpenter and Sam Neil, with some great use of special effects. I don't understand some of the hate it got, particularly in regards to it being 'confusing'.

It's actually up on youtube, surprisingly.

youtube.com/watch?v=HWV5EsOVlpo

pretty slow, but good

good movie, possibly the most lovecraftian movie not directly based on his work.

Transformers non-ironically capture the essence of cosmic horror more than most derivative works about dude tentacles lmao.

Seriously, just think about it
>A race of sentient god-like beings way above humans in the evolutionary chain descends upon earth
>Except it turns out they've been on earth all along
>Earth is also a home to some of their crazy mechano-magic arifacts which contain power beyond human comprehension
>All of this is waiting to be discovered, and if discovered, could result in elder gods razing all of life on earth
>Eventually, the planet itself turns out to be an elder mechanical god

This

Although I found it laughably cheesey when I first saw it, this short has stuck with me over the years.

An actually good Lovecraft adaptation that some user turned me on to a long time ago was "Die Farbe" which is a German flick that has a nice unique way of handling the general "unfilmable" aspect of Lovecraft. Do yourself a favor if you don't know the story, go into it without reading about it first.

athis

Visually the Void is pretty good, but that's literally the only redeeming thing about it. Everything from the plot to the dialogue to the action/suspense scenes was laughably stupid. It's an incredibly forgettable movie that's only ever talked about because of it's meta nature and references.
The movie IS terrible, however the things it references and tries to mimic are not.

I watched In the Mouth of Madness, in hope of finding something visual to sate my then newly discovered love for Lovecraft.
It seemed many Lovecraft-fans like it. But I have to say I was thoroughly dissatisfied. In the end I was laughing maniacally along with Sam Neil.

I was not able to take anything seriously past a certain point. Something took me out of the movie. I don't know if it was the over-acting or the stupid plot points, but it was just off the rails before it had barely started.

I had high hopes. I have nothing bad to say about Sam Neil in this, or in general, he's a steady actor and he did his best with this. But Carpenter, his contribution to this, I'm ashamed of. I really love Carpenter and In the Mouth of Madness is not his best work. It almost felt like watching the D&D movie from 2000.

Anyone here like it? I'm sure people disagree with me, but I'd like to hear.

>Black Mountain Side
Alright. Kind of reminded me of the thing.

>The Corridor
Also alright. Kind of reminded me of a horror version of The Hangover.

>Absentia
Really disturbing film. Not really scary or gory or anything, but it leaves you with an disconcerting feeling.

>Banshee Chapter
Kinda good. Has to do with DMT and numbers stations and MK Ultra.

>AM 1200
Little short film, I think a half hour or something. Pretty good.

>Europa Report
I'd say this one is the best. Has the feel of an Indy feel. They send a manned mission to Europa.

>Dagon
It was alright.

From Beyond
Event Horizon

YASS

GOAT kino of all time

>The VVitch, while being not the most obvious choice, is pretty lovecraftian in terms of mood and building the climax

haha

it's alright but the complete lack of pacing destroys any potential the film could've had... transparent, 1 dimensional characters that appear to be poor mimetic approximations of better actors portraying them also creates an unsettling effect that makes you feel like you're watching an off-brand film, which is odd considering just how much the film promised.

anyway, Dagon, Die Farbe, most John Carpenter movies, most Stephen King movies, take a look at schlocky 80s horror form europe too, lots of lovecraft-inspired gems there

this was great

as above SO below

Event Horizon is hilarious. Good recommendation, what a shitty fucking movie.

whats that radio station kino thats shot in black and white..welcome to 'something'

not exactly love-craftian but those movies remind me of it.

That was a stinking sack of shit

arch linux lmao

Lovecraftian elements

The Night Of
King Jack (2015)

>Lovecraftian

The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
Residue - although it's not that good.
The Mist

The Borderlands always gets overlooked in these threads

Where can I find it?

Agree
>uninteresting characters
>pacing problems
>no one's motives make any sense if there are any
>the directing is garbage at times
It is only pretty to look at

Mercy

That is a shit film though.
Just watch actual lovecraft adaptations like Whisperer in the Dark, Re-animator, and Dagon. Theres also some stuff that is obviously influenced by lovecraft like The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness

these

I think mostly because it's Found Footage Horror which is pretty niche outside of the obvious franchises Blair Witch, Paranormal shitivity, and that other one

pic related

I thought the Void was alright. The triangle face cultists are used as spooky henchmen but never really pay off. The unmasked cultist stuff was good, like people generally being crazy and the cult-hunters going into that cult house to kill people.

It would have benefited from a bit of restructuring I think. Having spiderface happen so early kind of throws off the reality of the situation because you can't expect anyone to endure that and react the way they do.

I actually agree with you.It feels like Carpenter aimed this to be a very surreal ride on madness but it ends up being laughable because of the reasons you've stated.

Pic related was finished in 2015 but I'm not sure if it was released yet

Would the Wes Craven film "They" qualify?

>Gloom
>Evolution
>Black mountain Side
>The Corridor
Saw something new in these threads so I'll contribute a rare lovecraftian too
youtube.com/watch?v=kdDcNU53q_8
cant find english trailer...torrent with subs unless you speak french