What is the Gurren Lagann of Western cartoons?

What is the Gurren Lagann of Western cartoons?

I don't think any medium will Top TTGL

Happy 10th birthday

absolutely nothing.
Gurren Lagann was the biggest and loudest loveletter to the Super Robot niche, while doing its own thing in the process.

Rocko's Modern Life. Even has the final battle against the Anti-Spiral over the universe in the end and Heffer dies the same way as Simon.

What's with all the Sup Forums threads today?

>defeated threat to Earth with a drill
>even greater threat looming in space
>animated by people who make up Trigger
STEVEN UNIVERSE CREATED BY REBECCA SUGAR

But the Anti-Spiral did nothing wrong

>What is the Gurren Lagann of Western cartoons?
Steven Universe.
they even share the same animators.
how is this even a question anymore.

chicks dig giant robots

I had a dream that an old Samurai Jack met up with Old Simon at some campfire and reminisced about their lives and humanity's future. Don't really know why.

there isn't one and never will be

None other than Megas XLR

>Beats enemies out of grit and lack of common sense.
>Uses unconventional ways to do it.
>Go so far to heatbutt the button.

Name a character more charismatic than Kamina

Pro tip: you can't

The difference is SU has a lot of "HEY RECOGNIZE THIS ANIME REFERENCE?" whereas TTGL never does that and instead plays off of a ton of tropes inherent to the Super Robot genre.

Not to shit on SU (because I enjoy it), but it's not TTGL.

Simon.

Dunno, but the world needs more characters like Yoko.

Wait you're not meming?
I tried to watch SU when a friend kept bothering me with it but I gave up after three episodes.
Is there really anything to compare to gurren lagann?

>That episode where Coop dies, forcing Jamie to take the steering wheel and reassess his priorities in life.
Yeah nah, the only similarity is a giant love of giant robots from the crew.

Simon may be GOAT tier protagonists, but he never beat Kamina when it comes to motivating and being a bro

>GL

Why don't you people try watching a good robot anime sometime?
k?

I still can't believe this show existed.

Come on guys, this one is easy.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series

It's better than Evangelion.

Well if it was a bad show I wouldn't still be watching it. However right now I only think it's decent.
As for your question, dunno, maybe Dai-Guard?
Show does its own thing while clearly being in love with the mecha genre.

Gurren Lagann is good though if you ignore the obligatory beach episode.

Nia's death always felt rushed as fuck. Like let us digest what just happened, Senketsu was very similar but done right

>Worst episode focuses on Nia and Yoko

Really makes you think

>Overrated shit better than overrated poop
Ok.

No I meant in SU, from the few I've seen I don't see anything that looks like GL.
I guess at a point it's a case of stick around and see the good parts but what I've seen of it so far is so saccharine ridden, it feels like another MLP.

If you don't like Gurren Lagann you legitimately cannot enjoy anything can you

Fuck, it's on the same level as all the similarities between Korea and Kill la Kill.

Gurren Lagann does sound like a Japanese guy completely mispronouncing Green Lantern, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned.

Meant to say Korra.

Reminder Nia and Yoko are trash and Yoko is a supposedly Main Character slot does nothing

What's the Eastern equivalent of China Illinois?

She shoots things.

Cromartie High School.

Pretty much this.

>10 years old
FUCK

2nd greatest mecha ever
i love giant robots
however...

what made GL good was it's pacing and scale
nothing else goes from no robot, to small robot, to 2 robots, to 1 big robot, to a robot the size of an aircraft carrier, to a robot the size of a city, to a robot the size of the moon, to a robot that can fight using galaxies as footing, spiral saved
unparalleled

the closest i can get is gravity falls
book introduces basic magic bullshit, book revealed to be part of a series, demigod introduced, book's writer introduced, end of the world a possibility, end of the world occurs in bubble, end of the world outside bubble a possibility, giant robot the size of a house made with an almost direct reference to nge, world saved.

all about the stakes raising over an arc

>penultimate episode where characters minds are put in a "perfect" world but they reject it

>Anti Spiral are legitimately trying to do the right thing and don't even use violence to stop their opponents at the end
>Heros need to use the largest known quantity of Spiral Energy, the thing that will destroy the universe, ever recorded to TIE them

But really their "perfect world" do reflect each other, Simon with Kamina, Yoko getting pointless attention, Gimmy and Darry have a parent, Lord Genome watches over kids, Viral has a family (who cannot have children). It's prettt cool

I hope an artist draws this.

It's not so much that they expand, but how they expand

>We evolve beyond the person we were a minute ago
>Spiral power is also representative of Helix Spiral, aka Evolution

This may be the biggest form but TTGL is probably still the best as it can completely reflect the Dai-Gurren Logo

rewatching this series right now

fucking amazing, i dont think anything in the west tops it

weebs win this one

I like it because it is badass, is full of symbolism, and wears that symbolism on its sleeve.

I legitimately can only think of 1 better show

We are further away from TTGL than TTGL was from Cowboy Bebop. Fuck the reactions on Sup Forums were so good.

>tfw Sup Forums loves this more than Sup Forums

Sup Forums fucking loved TTGL when it was airing. There were a lot of "Lucky Shit v. Gurren Faggan" threads at the time but they were extremely tongue-in-cheek for obvious reasons. I feel like it's contrarianism that rose to the surface over the years, the board would be flooded with TTGL threads every time a new episode aired.

consider watching luluko
continues the inferno cop story

What is the Lucky Star of Western cartoons?

Overrated means nothing, though. It's just a way to say "I don't like it as much as other people do". Therefore, it's not saying anything about the work, it's just you talking about yourself like the navel-gazing cunt you are.

How much longer until the vengeful and capricious Sup Forums mods delete this thread for talking about anime?

Don't know, but Nextwave is confirmed the ttgl of comics.

>When gainax makes westaboo fanart.

>cartoon about western comics/animation industry and pop culture with tongue-in-cheek references to the studio's other hit shows and satirical caricatures of the obsessive fanbase

Probably something on [adult swim]

Yep really makes you feel.

And yet I am future away for the revolutionary war then the formation of the Babylonian empire.*

*yes, time travel was involved, my life is a wee bit complicate.

While the style tone and pacing are different I can't help but think Batman the Animated series as a proper reply given more the social and artist impact to the greater industry, similar to TTGL.

TTGL is not just a mecha anime on steroids,it's also a japanese version of the Saturday Morning Cartoons

Wait do people actually like Lucky Star?

I watched one episode and I like didn't laugh once. There was a 2 minute long segment about how she didn't know how to eat a dessert, and that she thought of it like a fish head. When it was a caterpillar

Doubt anyone will. Just some dumb fever dream I had.

Except for the opening

Anyone really, that show is SHIT just like Kill La Kill, good animation, SHIT and I mean SHIT everything else

its a retarded ass show, its great if you are 14 I guess.

Not that guy, but I like a ton of different things and I'm not super nitpicky/contrarian, and I couldn't really get into TTGL myself. I don't know if it was the setting or what, but it just didn't grip me. I really wanted to like it, and I can see why other people like it, but I don't know. It just wasn't my thing I guess.

Problem Sleuth does this same thing incredibly well.

It starts at the smallest scale possible and slowly unfolds into something incredible.

How far did you get?

Ben 10 omniverse he even has the power of the Anti-Spirals

I watched the whole thing once, then tried to watch it a second time but couldn't stay interested after the timeskip.

Really? Well don't know what to tell you then, I guess it just isn't for you.

>they even share the same animators.
I think you are confused about something here.

The thing is TTGL was the atithesis of Evangelion and by that i mean the real back to the roots of what made Mechas so goddamn fun

If anything, it would be easier to find the TTGL of comics than western animation

Trigger did some work on one episode for a musical bit. Trigger being made from the ashes of Gainax. They also did a couple opening for Black Dynamite, and the movie for Daft Punk's Discovery Album, along with what I'm sure is other stuff I'm not aware of.

They're huge Westaboos.

How would win in a fight, Alien X or the TTGL?

Transformers vs GI Joe

Someone from Trigger animating something in one episode doesn't mean SU and GL share the same animators.

And they're both good

Maybe they also use the same Korean slave factory. I'm not that guy, I'm just telling you what I know.

Anime doesn't do outsourcing like that.

>Anime doesn't do outsourcing like that.

It doesn't. It's a myth. People either assume that outsourcing to Korea is some kind of inevitability, or they see some non-Japanese flash by during the credits and think it means the whole thing was outsourced.

You poor, delusional weeb.

I thought FLCL was the antithesis of Eva. I read somewhere that fooly cooly was the anime that danced over the grave of Evangelion

I'm delusional and wannabe Japanese because I have an accurate understanding of the anime industry? Care to explain why?

Because everything you said is horribly inaccurate, and pretty much every Japanese animation studio just does keyframes, just like everyone else?

>Because everything you said is horribly inaccurate
No it isn't.

> pretty much every Japanese animation studio just does keyframes, just like everyone else
In-betweening is done in Japan, probably the majority of it. Almost any anime will have plenty of Japanese in-betweening credits.

Again, literally nothing you've said is correct. There is ostensibly no outsourcing done to other studios in Japan, and the only studios that can get by doing it on their own are those relying on digital.

You need to realize that there's a grand total of what, 3000 animators in all of Japan? If that? Most animation studios are lucky to have 10 animators on staff, doing in betweens just isn't viable. Hell, Gainax has been outsourcing to Korea since at least GL.

>There is ostensibly no outsourcing done to other studios in Japan
That's the most common form of outsourcing there is.

>the only studios that can get by doing it on their own are those relying on digital.
All anime is digitally produced. The most production independent studio is probably Kyoto Animation, they do almost everything in-house while also having probably the highest production standards in the industry.

>You need to realize that there's a grand total of what, 3000 animators in all of Japan? If that?
I have no idea how many animators there are, but the fact is that most animation is done in Japan.

>Most animation studios are lucky to have 10 animators on staff
I also don't know how many in-house animators most productions have, but it doesn't matter. That's what other studios and freelancers are for.

>doing in betweens just isn't viable
Regardless of how viable you think it is, it is being done. Or are you going to claim that all the in-betweening credits in anime are faked?

>Hell, Gainax has been outsourcing to Korea since at least GL.
Outsourcing everything to Korea is not the same thing as outsourcing some work to Korea.

Magus XLR was a great show

I miss Green Lantern. I really need to rewatch it.

Too good for this world

>what made GL good was it's pacing and scale
>the closest i can get is gravity falls
What is Ben 10

MISTAH JUDGEU

Aku

Eh, it lacked one of Gurren Lagann's greatest strengths, which was how it escalated.

>watching gurren lagan for the 1st time
>didn't even know what it was found it on Netflix one day
>watching through getting into the story
>get to where they're fighting the first general (boat guy idk his name)
>getting all hype for the fight next episode
>episode ends alright time for the next
>wtf why is Simon carving statues of Kamina alone in his room
>wtf why is everyone so sad and on the boat now
>wtf I skipped the episode where Kamina dies and I continue on watching the series confused but sad
I fucked up but damn that show was really fucking good

Actually, the DC Animated Universe had a similar sort of pacing

>Start off with stories about individual heroes (Batman and Superman)
>Team them up with other heroes
>Add even MORE heroes
>Heroes are fighting the US government
>Now they're fighting a team of supervillains
>Now the supervillains have resurrected a living God
>Now the heroes and the villains team up to save the planet/universe

Kek. Not even the best anime series of that year.

Would make a great manic paced anime done in that art style.