/who/ - Doctor Who General

Last Christmas Edition
Thoughts on Capaldi's first Christmas special?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H_NJ1HwIsT0
splink.wikia.com/wiki/Splink_Wiki
youtu.be/9fFPUn9DvFg
youtu.be/W6jG7MbBguo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=swbjXKtkyLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Doctor who is shit it used to be good, why do you faggots still like it, is it just for the /gen/

fucking GOAT characterkino special

also based shona

We have better taste than you

Starts off extremely shakily, but gets good once we actually get to the base. Also the one episode where Danny kind of lives up to what he was supposed to be.

Since /who/ is pretty dead right now i'm gonna post this hunger games i made

Is TUaT going to have a special christmas opening? Mysterio didn't because it had practically nothing to do with christmas, but TUaT is set in the snow and shit

>Thoughts on Capaldi's first Christmas special?
I made a rather long post last thread about my opinion of Last Christmas, guess I'll just re-post that:
Last Christmas was kino. Doctor Who does Alien. It really worked out. There was also based Shona, and they managed to get Santa Claus in the episode in a plausible, plot-related way without expressly stating whether he's real or not, thus not upsetting any young children.
It was also the only Christmas Special that was "scary" and felt like a normal DW base-under-siege episode while still maintaining a clear Christmas theme, while all the other Specials were much more light-hearted.

Did other christmas episodes get a special opening? Did husbands of river song have baubles instead of planets?

reminder that jodiekino

youtube.com/watch?v=H_NJ1HwIsT0

>unironically watching le wacky british man show

>>>/tumblr/

7 has no chill

Last christmas was the first
> Did husbands of river song have baubles instead of planets?
literally yes

>9 runs away
>"Coward, any day"

Seven seems pretty in character so far

RIP

>We gotta save the species, Romana

Too much like inception. My favourite specials are probably

Time of the Doctor
The Snowman
A Christmas Carol

Hopefully I can add TUAT to that list.

>implying it isn't better and more accurate to the nature of dreams than Inception

Just realized how fucking rigged this would be because Jack can't die

guy talking about the cover is right, dw about the font atm

As I was typing that out I did get a flash of memory about there being baubles.

It doesn't feel like the kind of episode to get the bauble treatment, it feels more serious than that. What might happen, and I hope it does, is a slight edit in the opening and it'll have Capaldi's face as well as David Bradley's. If they don't do that they've missed a trick.

unironically this.
Inception made out dreams to be these complex sandboxes where you can design to your hearts content. Even when I lucid dream I usually just become aware I'm dreaming, fly/float, try to conjure up someone to bone (unsuccessfully). When I'm not lucid dreaming I'm probably just in some strange scenario.
Last Christmas, with its discussion about how you can never be certain you're not dreaming, and the inherent silliness of santa, along with the character's realizations that they were dreaming and their eventual connection to their real world selves was pretty neat.

>Hopefully I can add TUAT to that list.
I'm sure you will, even if it's terrible, judging by your list.

Based Nardie

What if we get a special opening titles sequence that's influenced by the original?

where do you get the /who/ themed editions??

i want to make one but use the stuff like x comes back crispy etc

It's on Cats12 wiki page

Has anyone gotten round to uploading Shada yet? Would just do it myself but I'm not paid until the 8th.

it is not there

good.

why?

Remember the SPLINK wiki someone made? think it was something like splink.wikia.com/wiki/Splink_Wiki

why not?

i want it

Yeah I bet you do you little slut

I weave in and out of /who/ from time to time so forgive me for not understanding everything.
I am aware of the /who/nger games, but I had no idea how the game works once the tributes are selected, are you all on some other website? Is this just another one of those randomized hunger games simulations? Do participants have any input at all?

quite rude user

How pissed would people be if Chibnall only had Jodie for 2 episodes and she regenerated in to the real doctor after a glitch. kek.

You just put in a load of names/pictures and an rng does everything else

How much do you get paid?

£100 a month. I work in a pedophile ring

The way they handle Sara Kingdom's character is a huge letdown. She's introduced as this cold and calculating person who looks like she'll be a formidable and interesting villain, but then in her second episode she's suddenly weak-willed, almost constantly on the verge of tears, and doing whatever Steven and the Doctor tell her to.

Terry Nation was a hack.

I don't wish to be rude, but how is that particularly fun? You just post your personal favourite meme and hope it wins by complete chance?

It's not. It's just a bunch of boring spam that has long out-lived any entertainment value it had.

>You just post your personal favourite meme and hope it wins by complete chance?
Yes, it's kino. Plus we have a custom template with /who/-related deaths and interactions between tributes

What happens if I buy a Lucy Wilson Mystery out of pure curiosity.

Please someone save me and tell me there's a mega of them somewhere.

>it's kino

You're only saying this because Lym has been doing them too often lately, and at the wrong time. It's great in the middle of the off-season when there's nothing else to talk about (plus the tributes tend to be better)

No, I'm only saying it because it's always boring spam. The timing is even worse than usual now though, you're right.

Hell bent isn't good and I say this a true /who/re

Hi mongooo

I'm with you on that. Terrible closure after the 10/10 Heaven Sent before it. Finally get to see Gallifrey but it's all wasted on the Doctor going mental about getting Clara back. Shitty unnecessary cameos from the Daleks, Cybermen and Weeping Angels, and the ending with Clara and Me flying off into space in a fucking diner was the worst thing that ever happened in DW.

What the actual fuck is happening in The Airzone Solution? Why is the air only toxic sometimes? Why are these random people connect (aside from the fact that they're old who actors)? Why did that one chick turn into a fish?

I hope there's a rifftrax/mst3k of this sometime in the future.

you cannot be a true /who/re and hate hell bent

>mfw one of my favorite Faction Paradox short stories is secretly the sequel to a story in a rare charity anthology that turned up last week

Cats u should do a /who/nger game with every capal episode instead of same ol memes would be interesting.

not now though cuz it ded rn in herr

Mummy on the orient express is the worst episode ever. Literally and I mean literally nothing happens in it. Also the entire train blows up but every one survives somehow.

Dumb bad ep

Saw someone on tumblr refer to Jodie as both 'too pc' and 'bad writing'. The PC argument I understand I guess, but she literally hasn't appeared in anything written for her, and I don't understand how a character, or indeed a casting decision is "bad writing"

>it ded rn in herr
Then let's liven things up a little! C'mon everybody!

youtu.be/9fFPUn9DvFg

Reminder

Why was Alan Cumming in that movie? That's like if Liam Neeson guest starred in a BBV film.

It's best to stay away from tumblr, you should know that

Bad writing because sex changing time lords were only introduced in Nu Who?

[s]even though that's technically wrong[/s]

>Hell bent isn't good
Why are you phrasing this like it's a controversial opinion? Most people consider Hell Bent a letdown.

Perhaps, but I feel like I should stay away from Sup Forums too, yet here I am

I don't think that's what they meant, I think their thought process was "I don't agree with this, therefore it is bad writing"

It's a bit like how, when a thing isn't completely explained, people call it a plot-hole/bad writing, when in reality, explaining every last detail of something leads to boring exposition, and a feeling that the show is condescending. Sometimes it's better for the show to let the little details go by unexplained, or for mysteries to stay mysteries.

>Co-ordinating the District members

Nice attention to detail, user.

It's one of those situations where people who were originally contrarians became the majority (or at least something that feels like a majority) and now contrarians are sprouting away from that majority.

It happens a lot, more often than you'd think

I enjoyed it a lot though, so I still really like it.

Feast of Steven is a bad episode.

Lucy Wilson is just a small part of the "child visits grandfather and gets involved in some sci fi shit' multiverse Candy Jar Books has created.

So technically, whatever this is, is a doctor who spinoff.

I personally think it's one of the best ever NuWho episodes. Especially the guest characters were great, Perkins being the best of them all. Bring back Perkins!

Chronological user here, The Christmas Invasion is worse than I remember. I used to think it was just decent, but now I feel like it's weaker than any Series 1 episode desu

t. Not Frank Skinner

12/Perkins/Nardole Big Finish box set when?

DOCTOR who is kino

Doctor Oho is better you fucking pleb

I still can't get over 10 treating Harriet like shit and getting her fired just because she believed a band of slavers who killed innocents, and whose leader went back on his word, deserved to be shot down. And how the show proved time and time again that fucking her over was a bad thing in the long run, like with the 456 and Harold Saxon.

I'm not Frank Skinner.

Now this would be absolutely lovely. The legend that is Peter Capaldi, joined by two of the nation's finest comedian stroke actors. Capaldi and Matt Lucas seem like they would be up for it and I'm sure Frank Skinner would be delighted to be a part of Doctor Who again.

Harriet Jones was a good recurring character, but I have to ask, don't you think she looks tired?

It could've been a great character arc for 10, but nobody ever calls him out on this. He just fucking gets away with it.

What was with all those Harriet Jones=Supreme Dalek theories during series four? It was a really popular theory but I don't remember any hints alluding to her being the Supreme Dalek

i think it would be interesting if we had another one series Doctor. everybody is assuming Jodie is staying for at least 3 years.

One series Doctor makes it harder for the EU (setting in the comics, audios, and books era), and gives us less time for character development of that specific Doctor, as well as no chance to see how the Doctor reacts to different companions across the years.

Plus, based on Jodie's enthusiasm for the role, and the important milestone of a female Doctor, it's unlikely Thirteen will only stay for one series.

Besides, not every Doctor's first season is their best. For every Series 1, Series 5, and Season 7, there's always a Season 24 and Series 2.

youtu.be/W6jG7MbBguo

New theme song leak

And most actors who are willing to do one series want to do another. If Eccleston hadn't been soured from the whole experience by the way the workers were treated, he would have done more series.

John Hurt liked the series enough to do BF audios, which seemed impossibe at the time (seriously, it was a shock at the time). And had those "Tilda Swinton does 1 series" rumors turned out true, I could see her do Big Finish later on. People generally are willing to do a lot of Who, as long as the experience is positive.

If people are fans enough to do one series, they're willing to do more, unless something goes terribly wrong.

Exactly. Having a "1 series Doctor" has a lot of downsides, and no real upside.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=swbjXKtkyLA

This would be good for jodie's series

SERIES 1 POWER RANKINGS

>GOAT TIER
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances - 10/10
Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways - 10/10
Father's Day - 10/10
Dalek - 9/10

>GREAT TIER
Rose - 8/10

>GOOD TIER
The End of the World - 7/10

>PASSABLE TIER
Aliens of London/World War Three - 6/10
The Unquiet Dead - 6/10

>MEDIOCRE TIER
The Long Game - 5/10
Boom Town - 5/10

They can't kick Jodie out after one series seeing as she's the first woman to play the Doctor, there'd be outrage.
That said though, I'd be up for a 1 series Doctor if it meant we'd get a huge name to play the Doctor. Some really famous and well-loved actor who doesn't want to be tied down or would be too expensive to keep for three or four series. Imagine a single series with Bill Nighy as the Doctor, it would be absolute kino. He wouldn't want to be tied down to a three-series contract but he'd be an amazing Doctor and a huge boost for the ratings.
They should do a 1 series Doctor once every few regnerations, that way they could afford to get an A-list actor who would boost the ratings and get people watching again and getting hooked,

You can't give Dalek anything other than a 10/10, and the finale wasn't THAT great. Good, but not 10/10. I'd also push End of the World up a bit and put the Slitheen two-parter at the bottom. Other than that, seems pretty legit

13th doctor official t-shirt when

>You can't give Dalek anything other than a 10/10
Yeah that's definitely reasonable, but the Adam Mitchell scenes just irk me to no end. You can't really blame Rob Shearman for that though.

Ok but what if the African episode is about the Tsavo Lions?

Why are evil companions so hot