Opinions on The Hunchback of Notre Dame? I like it very much

Opinions on The Hunchback of Notre Dame? I like it very much.
I'm also finishing the book and it's obviously very different. Much darker, Phoebus is an asshole, so is Esmeralda. Overall, I think the movie did a good job on its own despite basically changing the whole story.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ueAOJmCSdc
mega.nz/#!KEsS0D4K!P89Ph7a4dW3OycLmI6-fy6HSuzSbr7AlxvkpBd8Y5FU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wonder if Disney will try doing a live-action movie version in a couple of years

Isn't Frollo more sympathetic in the novel?

The only problem with the movie, that a lot of people point out, is the gargoyles

Movie was alright, the songs were some of the best Disney's ever written.
Bells of Notre Dame, God Help The Outcasts, and Hellfire were all absolutely phenomenal in their own ways.

Man, the final fight against the guards in front of Notre Dame was such a tonal cluster fuck. Still one of my favorite Disney films however.

The soundtrack is one of the most powerful Disney has ever produced, but the movie as a whole is just okay. Not good, not bad. Just good.

>Just okay

Near 10/10 film if it weren't for those goddamn gargoyles.

HELLFIRE
DARKFIRE

NOW GYPSY,
IT'S YOUR TURN.

As much as I dislike the gargoyles, they were the only things keeping this moving from being relentlessly dark.

>The soundtrack is one of the most powerful Disney has ever produced
Pretty much this. It's an amazing musical but a pretty bland movie as a whole.
Clopin is GOAT though.

Eh, I think it would've been fine without them. If they downplayed them more, made them less intregal to the conflict at the end and reduced some of the other awkwardly placed bits of humor, the movie would've felt better.

"Guy Like You" is a guilty pleasure of mine.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ueAOJmCSdc

do you think the movie would have been better if Quasimodo just talked to actual stone gargoyles which never talked back and he just made up a conversation?
I think it was somewhat important that Quasi at least was able to get his thoughts out

Honestly, have the talking gargoyles throughout the whole film, but then in the final battle don't let them help out in the final battle and reveal they were in his mind the whole time.

yes and Frollo will sing about his passion for Quasimodo

It depends on your point of view. Many Western people saw the movie first, so they praised it, as it's darker in comparison to other Disney movies. Many people in my country read the book first, so they bashed it, as it's rather light-hearted in comparison to the book.
If this wasn't a box office failure, we could've had more "mature" Disney films maybe.

I think that might've made it a bit too depressing. I like the idea of the gargoyles, essentially being imaginary friends that act as both guardians and people for Quasi to talk to. But hot damn the execution was terrible. They really needed to either rewrite them so that they were actually funny or just limit the amount of screen time they got.

I look forward to a terrible CGI Quasimodo if that's the case

>Manage to make an amazing Quasimodo with practical effects and makeup in fucking 1939
>2017 will give us an absolutely ass looking CGI Quasi

>so is Esmeralda
How so? She's supposed to be an innocent and naive girl, completely unfit to shuch a brutal world, a lamb to be sacrified. According to Hugo at least.

In the novel he goes from lawful netral with good tendancies to lawful evil.
In the movie he's pretty LE to begin with.

>gypsy
>innocent
pick one

>Isn't Frollo more sympathetic in the novel?
I think that's a little more subjective than usual.

Personally, I think he's rather sympathetic. A terrible person, but he comes across as too pathetic by the mid-point that everything with him thereafter is just sad. And horrifying.

It's a really good book. Pretty pulpy with plenty of awkward and/or out-dated shit, but it's a load of fun. Ask me if you have more questions. I was obsessed with this book in 8th grade and still know it, inside and out.

>Many people in my country
Can you say which country? Got me curious.

Well, she's definitely not as innocent as in the movie, she's constantly disgusted by the looks of Quasimodo and she was offended at him because he didn't get her Phoebus despite standing and looking for him the whole day.

I read it years ago myself, but I remember Esmeralda in the books is pretty shallow and outright rejects people's kindnesses based on things like looks, then goes and chases Phoebus, who should be an obvious jackass. You can try to chalk these things up to her being naively innocent, but it's also the behavior of an ignorant shallow idiot just seeing what they want to see. She is supposed to be childish, but children are assholes, and she displays that well.

DIES IRE

He'll be a pretty boy with a hump; can't risk losing that demographic by getting them to see a movie about an ugly person.

Esmeralda is literally too dumb to live. She pissed me off so fucking much, not because she was "free independent woman" or any shit like that, but because she's a barely functional retard. How does someone as moronic as that one live for so long in Medieval Times? Her goddamn goat was smarter than her; I'm glad she outlived her.

>they were the only things keeping this moving from being relentlessly dark

I can see this point of view, but I'd prefer to phrase it "they were the only things keeping this movie from having a consistently mature and dark tone throughout." And I don't think that would have been a bad thing.

Is that supposed to be an empty eye socket? Man, that's really cool and ugly and scary looking.

>not because she was "free independent woman"

She is literally the opposite of that in the book. She's the "innocent dependent girl" type that the "free independent woman" thing was invented to subvert. She's too retarded to live on her own because that's what the ideal woman of the time was supposed to be: totally worthless unless she has a man to take care of her and give some kind of worth to her, usually by having her pump out babies. Which of course is what some people still look for in a relationship and think of women in general, but that's beside the point.

She lived as long as she did because Hugo wrote that happening for story purposes, despite it being unrealistic. I guess in-universe you would say that God was looking out for her because she's just so pure and innocent. Which brings us back to the fact that she could not survive without someone taking care of her, even if it was divine intervention.

We're the gargoyles just a frigment the of Quasi's imagination?

If so, they were figments that could throw rocks and shit at people while Quasi was on the other side of the cathedral.

No. Despite being fairly dark (it couldn't be another way with such source material) it's still for children. There were some light comedy elements and gargoyles were one of them. I like it that way.

Almost definitely France, I don't think it's as much of a popular story elsewhere.

Clopin is the patrician's choice

Do what that musical did and have them be figments of his imagination but we still them.
Then just tone them down a bit, especially near the end at the final battle.

mega.nz/#!KEsS0D4K!P89Ph7a4dW3OycLmI6-fy6HSuzSbr7AlxvkpBd8Y5FU

The musical is better. It sucks that Disney chose Frozen for Broadway over it.

Patrick Page was really fucking good as Frollo