Right then...

Right then, the directors show us how stupid they really are and how unbelievable this film will be and how much they are prepared to insult their audience.
A space going ship of that size and weight could never be built on the surface of a planet. The ship would collapse under its own weight even if it it was all solid steel. No rocket large enough with enough reaction mass could blast it up out of the gravity well of the planet. That ship would have to be built in space in an orbiting space dock, with all the bits blasted up on rockets piece by piece. There's no escaping the laws of physics, not even in a Star Trek universe.
That's the time to walk out of the film and now waste your afternoon.

seems easier just to build it on earth. it can land on planet surface so the gravity well is no biggie both structurally and for take off. I think you underestimate engineering's ability to solve problems

huh

technology bitch
all of historical star trek uses "structural integrity fields" and "inertial dampeners"

You can find better ways to criticise a movie.

Star trek obviously mastered artificial gravity or do you ever see anybody floating aboard those ships? So yeah weight means jack shit.

>good OP detailing serious and obvious concerns regarding construction of a massive spaceship
>reply that ignores major salient points of argument just because

the starship will rise from the earth through magic

>The ship would collapse under its own weight
I never understood that argument, how can something collapse under its own weight?

by weighing enough to cause collapse

Yes, in a show where people can travel faster than the speed of light, have artificial gravity, are in content with alien species, a big ship getting out of the gravity pull of a planet is what makes it completely unbelievable.

Go neck yourself retard.

That is literally how Star Trek technology works, though. In scripts, they would literally just write [TECH] and make some shit up whenever solving a problem or addressing an issue.

"Hold on, if I TECH the TECH, and alter the TECHs TECH, I should be able to TECH

>even if it it was all solid steel.

Honest question: What are the ships in ST supposed to be made of?

I always assumed it was some crazy future alloy, but no idea if there is a canon answer.

JJ purposefully did it this way (he said so in an interview), because he wanted it to be Kirk's Luke Skywalker-looking-at-the-twin-suns moment.
Looking at his destiny, yadda yadda yadda. JJ literally doesn't care if stuff makes sense of not as long as he can keep feeding the audience "cool moments".
This is why his movies/shows age like shit after an initial popular reaction. They're full of fridge logic.

>fictional movie
the state of you

What a hack. He didn't even bother to have good music like the twin sun scene.

Dont overthink it, is just a meme from the same people that believe dinos dont make sense because my square rule

steel. If a thing looks like, sounds, weighs, and stretches like steel it is steel

>force field
>so the ship needs constant supply of power even before it's built
>if you shut down the power without turning own the back up generator the roof would collapse

But that's when it's operational and can use shields against gravity.

Some kind of metal and carbon nanotubes, or whatever's strong enough.

>future ships will be built entirely out of solid steel
Gee, if only there were lighter materials

>Right then, the directors show us how stupid they really are and how unbelievable this film will be and how much they are prepared to insult their audience.
>A space going ship of that size and weight could never be built on the surface of a planet. The ship would collapse under its own weight even if it it was all solid steel. No rocket large enough with enough reaction mass could blast it up out of the gravity well of the planet. That ship would have to be built in space in an orbiting space dock, with all the bits blasted up on rockets piece by piece. There's no escaping the laws of physics, not even in a Star Trek universe.
>That's the time to walk out of the film and now waste your afternoon.

I can only say, don't overthink it, Star trek is still science fiction and not science facts.. at least the movies are, TNG tries to be more about facts than anything else

Artificial gravity fields.

Boom.

Fuck that, tell me about the new show? Worth watching? I've heard the captain is the only good character but it barely focuses on him.