Faith an' Begorrah, Sup Forums! How about a pre-St. Paddy's day storytime...

Faith an' Begorrah, Sup Forums! How about a pre-St. Paddy's day storytime? Grab a synthi-pint an' join us for a wee jaunt to the Emerald Isle, courtesy of Garth Ennis and the late, great Steve Dillon!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-R1i6WOfI4
youtube.com/watch?v=afO3IQX2Qnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do they celebrate Saint Paddy's Day in South America?

Although Ennis was still a rookie writer at this point, Dillon was already an extremely well-established 2000AD talent, having drawn several Dredd storylines, a handful of Alan Moore Future Shocks, and even writing and drawing his own story, Hap Hazzard.
So this is Ennis getting to work with one of his heroes, who ended up becoming one of his biggest friends.

Dunno about other countries, but it's definitely a big enough thing in Argieland. Mostly on account of all the drinking.

Is it wrong to prefer Dillon's earlier 2000AD stuff to his later work. I think he was a great guy and I love so many things he worked on, but I really like the look of his earlier stuff more. Even across like just Preacher I think the art gets more formulaic and less expressive at the end compared to how it was in the beginning.

No country can resist the power of booze.

I'll grab me a pint of haggis and enjoy a wee tale of Irish goodness!

IIRC Argentina has some of the largest Irish and Scots/Irish emigrant communities in the world. Hell, Welsh too in some parts; Chatwin wrote about it.

>Steve Dillon
In the States IDW just put out a floppy containing Cry of the Werewolf with a bunch of pin up tributes from the likes of Duncan Fegredo and Brendan McCarthy

Also John McCrea is going to be writing and drawing a What IF style comic where Dredd stays a werewolf soon also at IDW

Not at all. I'd take it a step further: he's at his best in black and white. Something about his inks gets really lost in color, and Preacher was a particularly bad case of this thanks to early 90s digital colouring, too.

Wasn't that Deviations issue coming today? Anyway, I really want to see those pin ups. I saw the Fegredo one and it was UNF.

Waaaitaminute...

Ha ha, time for worldbuilding!

>coming today?
No the reprint was today the Deviations is later this month

> I saw the Fegredo one and it was UNF.
Yeah I've missed his art so much since he left Hellboy. I guess he did a comic with Millar and now does film stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-R1i6WOfI4

this is the ex-chief judge right? What was her name again?

Ahh, gotcha.

Hey Judge user I spent a while this week catching up on 2000AD. Can I ask your opinion on the Tales of Deadworld recent strips?

Judge Hilda McGruder, originally from the SJS, who became Chief Judge after the entire council died during the Apocalypse War. She had a really solid run until the Warlord fiasco, where she decided to take the Long Walk. She would return, however, to help save Mega-City One from the Sisters of Death and Dark Judges' Necropolis.

>What IF style comic where Dredd stays a werewolf soon also at IDW
That sounds horrible, I think I'll pass

And heeeere's Joyce!

Love 'em. Mind you, you can tell that Kendall is not spending as much time on each page as with Dreams of Deadworld, and it is a bit annoying to have an all-new cast instead of sticking to the Dark Judges, but now that all the cliche zombie apocalypse survivors have been trimmed down to Fairfax and the girl, I'm really enjoying it.
Did you see the vid of Kendall drawing a page of it? Got uploaded yesterday, I think. Psi-Judge Siren is back!

Keep an eye on it at least. It's drawn and written by John McCrea, and he's trying a bunch of crazy new stuff on art. So at the very least it's gonna look gorgeous.

>Meatheads
That's how you can tell this is a 90s Dredd.

what in gods name are those those creatures

See I wasn't that into the solo stories the Dark Judges got a while back but I found myself really warming to this stuff. I really like the set up of Fairfax and Jess (especially with her conspicuously named mom and the Judge Child stuff). I really have no idea where the story is gonna go. And the bike AI is fucking great.

Thanks for your 2c, I'll check out that vid too.

>Butthead

>Frank
Heh, good Irish name

The unholy legacy of man's inhumanity to his own man.

>The Judge Child stuff
Fuck, now I have to re-read everything because that completely passed me by.

>Fifth panel
Cheeky cunt.

Francis.

A few months ago I read an interesting take on Dillon's art (maybe it was Sarah Horrocks? Can't remember), where it was proposed that his art is a natural fit for horror because he makes his characters look kinda plastic-y and somewhat inhuman, which add a lot to the whole horror aesthetic and it's why Preacher remains his most acclaimed work.

This story must've been fun to write.

Gonna take a moment to talk about the Spud Gun: it's an actual real toy invented in the Great Depression. The idea is that you use the tip of the gun to cut a bit of potato, then use air pressure to shoot it.
The Spud Gun is particularly famous as one of the best possible packed-in gifts that used to come with british comic books in the 60s and 70s, and a big personal favorite of revered 2000AD editor Steve MacManus. He mentions it a bunch of times in his bio.
Of course, leave it to fanboy Garth Ennis to turn it into an actual deadly weapon fuelled by social commentary and black humor.

Judge when you and Hershey get married can we help plan he wedding? Naavs can be the best man, Norrin can an be the priest, Suicide user can be the ring bearer, and Boco can stand outside and do nothing.

Ehhh, I can see where it's coming from, but I think that's mostly due to his colors. When in black and white, his characters have a ton of humanity to them, especially in the 80s.

I think it's only mentioned offhand at the moment but Fairfax is sort of the Deadworld Dredd, right? Not the direct equivalent but similar position, reputation, ability. And an emblem of pre -Death law there, so I wonder if they are gonna do a whole nega-Judge Child thing, how it was on Deadworld.

Alas, such a thing can never be, as there can only be one love in a judge's life: the Law.
I would love to see more of Naavs' Hershey, tho'. Unf.

Could be, could be. That said, I really love how much of a bastard Fairfax is.

Ok, no joke, I love this. Look at the last panel from the previous page.
Now look at this cover.

Is Preacher really horror? I kind of agree with the slightly false/sterile appearance of humans working with horror - look at Junji Ito or the Clean Room artist. But Ito definitely has a different toolbox too.

Now look at the first panel in this page.
Fucking beautiful.

Especially nice in an anthology serial because you're trusting the reader even more to get it. Great use of the single issue format.

what is this gibberish you are speaking judge?

Trust me: it could've been worse.

WHA' A TWIST

Those damm potato niggers

the spud is a lie

And that's it for Dredd's first visit to the Emerald Isle!
youtube.com/watch?v=afO3IQX2Qnc

Gonna cap it off with a couple more Dillon stories, starting with "Oh fuck you user will you EVER stop posting this fucking story?"
The answer is no. I will never get tired of... "Alone in a Crowd."

And now, all the way back from prog 189-190, it's Dillon's very first 2000AD work! Written by some hairy bloke called Alan Moore who I think got kinda famous later, it's... "The Final Solution"!

Not gonna lie: something about that second panel is really turning me on. Must be the gun.

Stop Poe's Lawing yourself man

Self-flanderization aside, I really do love that expression. It's so brazen and openly smug, like a really evil "come hither". It's a lot of expression for a two-panel character.

And that's it for this storytime, folks!

Lol

Hope you guys enjoyed the stories and that'll you drink responsibly tomorrow. Those of you who are still alive and conscious afterwards are invited to join us this weekend as I storytime the first book of one of the best, newest 2000AD stories. What will it be? You'll just have to be there!